Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hakeem Nicks

RockThatBlue

I think a lot of the problem with Nicks stems from Andrew Lucks reliance on other weapons. T.Y. is a game breaker. You get him the ball as much as possible. Fleener has been very solid this year. Reggie hasn't been the same, but it seems like we are still force feeding him the ball. Add in Dwayne Allen, Amhad Bradshaw, and Moncreif, and you can see how he gets lost in the shuffle. Perhaps he shows out in the playoffs.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's crazy what a man can do once he gets targeted.  People claim he wasn't in game shape, or he has finally turned it on, which is both false.  I understand the last 2 games of production is during "garbage time", but what are we really nitpicking about?  Hasselbeck and Nicks have better chemistry, and Matt looks for Nicks alot more.  He is the best WR we have when TY and Reggie is sidelined, so he sees alot more snaps and targets.  Hasselbeck does a better job at keeping him involved and does a better job at delivering the ball to him more than Luck, because of chemistry.  They both are technically 2nd team players, so they've put in more work with each other.  Nicks has been the same guy, and now people want to act otherwise, simply because he is finally producing. 

Bottom line Nicks should be resigned if the money is right.  Sadly, I don't think he would want to stay unless he is guaranteed a bigger role and decent money.  He took a prove it contract with us, because he knew Luck's abilities and justified it because he knew he could, but the other side of that he didn't think he would be a 5th option. The small sample size we do have, I would surely say he still has it.  With Moncrief emerging I just don't know if it's possible to keep him.  He has been patient as you know he was frusterated early on in the season, which is great, and shows his true character.  I think alot of it will depend on what Reggies plans are though.

Can I ask you a question? What does our backup QB's preference & usage of Nicks have to do with Andrew Luck our starting QB? Nothing, especially since Matthew won't even be on our roster next year. 

INDY can find another WR. Nicks isn't as clutch as you are making him sound. Bye Nicks. 

I don't like what I see from him but I think it's coaching. That's why. With better schemes, he should be way better. Too tall, hands too big to not get him the ball. It's a scheme thing. He won the big game, he knows what this road is like. He was in the same situation too. Mediocre team that turned it around at the right time. Coaches have to bring this out in the players tho. We always look tired at the start of the game. Not really tired, but uninterested.

A one armed aging Reggie Wayne has been a better option most of the season. I say no thanks to keeping him. Reggie hinted at wanting to play a couple of more years on his radio show last week. At this point I'd rather re-sign Wayne as the third WR behind TY and Moncrief, draft another kid in the mid to late rounds and if you need a fifth bring up Griff for next year.

From my seat Nicks struggled to gain separation all year I would let him go. That being said I think we will need to sign a reasonably price FA WR. Maybe a guy like Nate Washington he's 31 but has a couple of years left has been to the big game twice. He is a pro knows what it takes to win.

Moncief in year 2 and a rookie to go with TY sounds like a bad idea. Maybe Lenz or Langford can play. I liked Lenz in the preseason pretty good size and has speed. The problem with Griff is he brings nothing to special teams and can only play the slot. We need to add a vet or keep Nicks in my opinion if Reggie retires

In fairness to Nicks he didn't get a lot of opportunity this year didn't have the chemistry with Luck that is going to be something the coaches need to decide if 87 retires. Is Nicks worth the coin or can we replace him for less money.

If Reggie is around another year I think we are fine with young guys but we need someone else that can play the outside so TY can operate out of the slot part of the time. Moncrief TY and a young guy are obviously the future I would just like to see Moncrief get another year under his belt. with the an established WR showing him the ropes. TY is still a youngster

Can I ask you a question? What does our backup QB's preference & usage of Nicks have to do with Andrew Luck our starting QB? Nothing, especially since Matthew won't even be on our roster next year. 

INDY can find another WR. Nicks isn't as clutch as you are making him sound. Bye Nicks. 

It has everything to do with it.  Lucks go2 guys are obviously TY Coby and then Wayne and Allen.  If Hasselbeck is in the game, more than likely TY, Reggie, and Coby are all on the sidelines as well.  In practice Matt plays with 2nd team, and since Nicks is so far down on the depth chart he sees alot of snaps with Hasselbeck.  I believe that's why Matt has the confidence and chemistry in Nicks.  It has really shown during the last month.  Whereas Luck never has had chemistry with Nicks and isn't a favorite target, so he rarely throws to him, and at that, their usually not on the same page.  I couldn't count on 2 hands how many times Luck has targeted Nicks and it has been way off...  Reading between the lines here, it hasn't ever been Nicks (besides maybe a lack of confidence, that hurt his motivation) problem.  He just wasn't utilized correctly, early in the season.  He isn't the only one, but Trent and LaRon can be added to the list, but the staff is doing a better job with utilizing the strengths of these players finally, but all that is beside the point.

Like you said Indy CAN find another WR that will get the job done, but it isn't needed!!  They really didn't even NEED Hakeem Nicks TBH.  They've had a boatload of talent at that position for 2 seasons, despite some of them banged up at times.  It's unfortunate what happend to Rogers and Brazil, but either of them can play the #3 role just fine, and we still have Whalen.  I think it would be a mistake to "continue the search" for other "great WR's" when we have them in house now.  So, if we let Nicks walk and Reggie clearly isn't the same guy for us as we all know and love, so despite him coming back we have a glaring hole if Nicks walks, because Moncrief is good, but still not ready to carry a team with TY.  Not at the potential of that offense anyway.  My point is why keep digging if we have potential waiting, because whoever we bring in that "is better than Nicks" will have the same learning curve, and will need catchup time also.  It's a no brainer in my mind, unless Nicks wants big money!

I'm a little suspicious of Nicks sudden improvement.  I don't really trust him at all to be a decent receiver for the Colts through the length of the season.

The guy is a vet, not a rookie still learning the game.  If he where a rookie a late season improvement would be a great sign.  But the dude is a vet, and we shouldn't have to wait until the end of the season for him to start producing.  

He won't come back, even if we want him.

He wants to be the #1 and he want's to get paid, he's falling down the depth chart.

Who is going to sign him to #1 money?  We got him cheap because he was not playing like a #1, nothing he did this year would say he was a #1.  I don't know if he will be back here or not, I would love to have him depending on cost. He will not get #1 money, zero chance of that.

Who is going to sign him to #1 money?  We got him cheap because he was not playing like a #1, nothing he did this year would say he was a #1.  I don't know if he will be back here or not, I would love to have him depending on cost. He will not get #1 money, zero chance of that.

I agree, but he wants the chance to get a #1 spot and #1 money, he won't ever find that here.

when Matt comes in the starters tend to come out so Nicks is normally the number one option then so of corse he gets more targets then.

TY is the only starter that normally comes out. When everyone is healthy Nicks is normally Lucks fourth option. Like you said it seems Nicks is Hasselbecks first target over Fleener and Moncrief who played the entire game Sunday. Although Fleener did have a great TD reception late in the game.

I remember the lead-up to the draft when there were big arguments over which WR to take; Nicks, Britt, DHB, Robiskie (we went Donald Brown, BTW and I wanted Ziggy Hood and argued with someone about how he would be better than Peria Jerry).

Just makes you realize what a terrible WR draft class that was.

Nicks gets more targets with Hasselbeck at QB. It seems that Nicks and Matt have some chemistry.

Your right about that. Hasslebeck has ran a similar offense to what Pep is running. That's why he is our back up. Hakeem fits our system "yards after the catch"

He had a great catch today.

I don't have a problem with Nicks. I honestly feel there are too many mouths to feed. With Hilton, Wayne, Moncrief, Fleener, Boom, Allen..... There are soo many weapons for Andrew it makes it look like Nicks is obsolete. Which, I don't believe is the case.

He had a great catch today.

I don't have a problem with Nicks. I honestly feel there are too many mouths to feed. With Hilton, Wayne, Moncrief, Fleener, Boom, Allen..... There are soo many weapons for Andrew it makes it look like Nicks is obsolete. Which, I don't believe is the case.

Nicks has come on stronger in December but did little to nothing with his chances before then.  With that said he has stepped up over the last month of the season and made a big catch today so you have to give him his credit.

He can be a big piece of our offense of Wayne does decide to retire!!!!

His chemistry with Luck just wasn't there. You could see it.

Nicks has showed up the past couple games and can make a huge difference in the playoffs for the Colts! Better late than never to show up! haha

If he will stay for a reasonable price I say sure. Do I think he will? Naaa most likely not.

Also if Wayne retires or even get injured again and we don't get Nicks back.

1.) T.Y.

2.) Moncrief

3.) Whalen

For sureee need more WR. Starting caliber/depth. Preferably one with experience!!!!

Nicks is 26 years old lol.

How much younger do you want to get?  Also, Carter has proven nothing in the NFL.  Nicks has been an integral part of a Super Bowl-winning team. 

Nicks missed a lot of time.  It's entirely plausible that he needed most of the season to get back into game shape.

Aside from Hilton, Nicks has been our most consistent receiver (excluding TEs) down the stretch.  I am 100% for signing him back, if he wants to be here. 

Spot. On.

I think we should re-sign him for the right price. Heading into 2015 the only guys we've got at WR are Hilton and Moncrief.

I agree, even if Reggie decides he wants to come back, there is no denying he is on the decline. His production just hasn't been the same recently. Hilton is obviously our #1 receiver and Moncrief is showing that he is definitely the #2. If not Nicks then who for #3 to be a reasonable threat? I'm all for him being resigned so long as he doesnt try to command a bigger salary figure. He definitely hasn't proven anything over the last year to prove he deserves more than that, but he isnt a bad receiver...

People have to understand Nick's has a more unique style than other WRs. Some use speed to get behind players and get open, others precise route running and skills to get open, others awesome hands, etc. Nick's is tall and his strength is pulling down most anything thrown near him. Since he does not get the big seperation, I don't think Luck is risking throwing to him. It requires faith that he will pull it in. I don't think we are using him correctly. He has not changed, just think the coaching should play to his strengths.

The way I look at it, we can either resign Wayne or Nicks.  I love Reggie to death, but this is a no brainer.  You can't let both of them walk, and Reggie just doesn't have what it takes anymore.  He is a legend and the best WR in Colts history, but every dog has it's day, and that day was yesterday for RW (not taking it literal)

I have mixed feelings about this, imo everyone bashes Nicks and says he's done but he honestly hasn't been on the field as much since Moncrief has progressed.  Even before Moncrief I didnt see alot of him.  Given the opportunity I think he can still be a key factor and help us in the future. Especially if Wayne retires.  Don't have a problem with Nicks as our 3RD wideout next year.  

I don't like the fact that either Nicks was not trying for 14 games, or didn't know the playbook until now. 

Either way, I didn't forget how much of a non factor he has been all year. 

I just hope he continues to play well during the playoffs. 

Oh, and THROW NICKS THE FADE. He's money at catching that pass in the end zone.