Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hakeem Nicks

RockThatBlue

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very critical of his play earlier in the season. But he's played well the last month or so. Do we or should we re sign him?

I'm for resigning him at the right price, and if his work attitude is professional (only the coaches know this really).  The team needs a vet to replace Reggie, who I think will retire or have his snaps reduced next year.  Nicks has shown some ability to contribute. 

If he is willing to be re-signed for a reasonable deal that reflects his production this year then yes....But I think he will see if he can chase a bigger contract...I would not blame him for doing that BUT he is replaceable even if he regains his earlier career form

I think that Nicks will remain in a Colts uniform. I also find it probable that Reggie will not be back that he will retire as a result of A) his 100% own doing or B) the team/him unable to come to an agreement financially AND positionally (i.e.: what spot his wants on the depth chart).

Nicks coming on strong is of late I believe is because of his ability to learn the playbook and getting more sync time with the offense over the course of the season...something that Richardson could NOT do...because he just isn't as talented as everyone wants to believe.

I think it'd be a mistake to let Nicks go personally...I think he's a solid receiver and would even be more so if Wayne does not end up on the roster next year.

Nick's came on strong the past few games to try and get that 225k bonus, IMO. I'd let him walk

Is that part of the contract?  I wondered about that.  Playing harder and better for financial reasons late in the season, if not just to get another contract somewhere.  That's something the coaches need to evaluate.  I'm all for letting him walk if that's the case.

Is that part of the contract? I wondered about that. Playing harder and better for financial reasons late in the season, if not just to get another contract somewhere. That's something the coaches need to evaluate. I'm all for letting him walk if that's the case.

Just my opinion as to why his game has improved these last few games. Pft has an article. 250k according to them

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/28/report-hakeem-nicks-needs-td-catch-for-250000-bonus/

NO GET DURON CARTER YOUNGER .

Nicks is 26 years old lol.

How much younger do you want to get?  Also, Carter has proven nothing in the NFL.  Nicks has been an integral part of a Super Bowl-winning team. 

Nicks missed a lot of time.  It's entirely plausible that he needed most of the season to get back into game shape.

Aside from Hilton, Nicks has been our most consistent receiver (excluding TEs) down the stretch.  I am 100% for signing him back, if he wants to be here. 

If he is willing to be re-signed for a reasonable deal that reflects his production this year then yes....But I think he will see if he can chase a bigger contract...I would not blame him for doing that BUT he is replaceable even if he regains his earlier career form

I was agreeing with everything you were saying.....   right up to the last part,  and I have no idea why in the world you would say this,  much less think it.....

That's a very curious statement.    The guy was a flat-out stud in his earlier career form.   And you think that can be replaced?

Goodness, why?

Is that part of the contract?  I wondered about that.  Playing harder and better for financial reasons late in the season, if not just to get another contract somewhere.  That's something the coaches need to evaluate.  I'm all for letting him walk if that's the case.

That had nothing to do with it. His snaps were gradually reduced as the season went on, then he started to fill the void when Reggie and TY missed time. He had 1 TD in the last five games. Truth is, he's not good enough to suddenly turn it on and produce. He just got more opportunities and made some plays, many of which were fed to him in the Cowboys game due to a reserved gameplan and a lot of garbage time.

If we're going to let him walk, it should be because he wasn't very good this year. And I'm fine with that.

I was agreeing with everything you were saying.....   right up to the last part,  and I have no idea why in the world you would say this,  much less think it.....

That's a very curious statement.    The guy was a flat-out stud in his earlier career form.   And you think that can be replaced?

Goodness, why?

2 reasons....

1.We have a pretty good QB who can clearly get our playmakers the ball......There is some pretty good receiver talent right now in the NFL I think that are on teams with a bad QB that I think can put up 1000+ yard seasons and double digit TD's but do to the fact that they are on a team with a bad QB or a young QB there numbers suffer (Example of this is Eric Decker, Fine wr who is capable of big numbers and did with Manning but his production suffers now do to a bad QB situation).....Cecil Shorts is another example of this I think, Talented wr who put up 979 yards with the combination of Gabbert and Henne throwing him the ball

2.The draft is loaded with wr talent just looking to make a name for themselves and hoping to go to a team with a great or at least good QB who can get them the ball(and then make that money).,,,,Clearly not all WR's have the skill to do what Nicks did in his first couple years but I think there are plenty that can once they learn the system they are in and are given a real shot on the field

If 87 retires and Nicks is gone then we need to bring in a vet. WR's don't typically step on the field and play consistently their first season. Moncrief will have some growing pains

I think we have bigger fish to fry with our draft picks. We need to figure out how to run the ball at least present a threat of running the ball and playmakers on D.

I think that Nicks will remain in a Colts uniform. I also find it probable that Reggie will not be back that he will retire as a result of A) his 100% own doing or B) the team/him unable to come to an agreement financially AND positionally (i.e.: what spot his wants on the depth chart).

Nicks coming on strong is of late I believe is because of his ability to learn the playbook and getting more sync time with the offense over the course of the season...something that Richardson could NOT do...because he just isn't as talented as everyone wants to believe.

I think it'd be a mistake to let Nicks go personally...I think he's a solid receiver and would even be more so if Wayne does not end up on the roster next year.

When did this thread turn into another bash TRich one?

I can live with or without Nicks. Nicks certainly didn't perform as we all thought/hoped he would this season while being paid pretty well. So, he has done some very nice things with NY in the past, different game style up there. We never seemed to use his leap and catch style like NY did. Hasslebeck did but Luck doesn't have that part yet to play different guys to their strengths.

So we have the speed TY, we have Moncreif with nice speed and size with a full season returning next year, we have Whalen who is slower but where he is supposed to be, has great soft hands and does the dirty work. the big card will be, will the team/RW be able to accept a retirement? If you can add Carter as a FA relatively cheap and controlled for 3-4 years, you do that. TY, Moncrief, Whalen and Carter should get it done fine. Build that oline with FA and high draft money first.

Nicks isn't a big loss nor a big gain IMHO.

It's crazy what a man can do once he gets targeted.  People claim he wasn't in game shape, or he has finally turned it on, which is both false.  I understand the last 2 games of production is during "garbage time", but what are we really nitpicking about?  Hasselbeck and Nicks have better chemistry, and Matt looks for Nicks alot more.  He is the best WR we have when TY and Reggie is sidelined, so he sees alot more snaps and targets.  Hasselbeck does a better job at keeping him involved and does a better job at delivering the ball to him more than Luck, because of chemistry.  They both are technically 2nd team players, so they've put in more work with each other.  Nicks has been the same guy, and now people want to act otherwise, simply because he is finally producing. 

Also I don't understand the infatuation with Duron Carter?  People just love to hop on the bandwagon, because why not, everybody else is doing it?  I'm all for signing Carter and seeing what he is about, but trust me, just because his last name is Carter doesn't mean he is as good as his father.  If you think Carter is our saving grace and is better than Nicks, from what basis, and facts do you have?

It is apparent Reggie needs to call it quits.  My refrence is to the catch and run on Sunday against the Titans is a prime example.  He had over 10 yards and stumbling defenders.  After huffing and puffing he was ran down easily before crossing the end zone.  He just looks SLOW.  No beating around the bush.  No disrespect, but currently and moving forward Wayne isn't even a good #2 on our team. 

Bottom line Nicks should be resigned if the money is right.  Sadly, I don't think he would want to stay unless he is guaranteed a bigger role and decent money.  He took a prove it contract with us, because he knew Luck's abilities and justified it because he knew he could, but the other side of that he didn't think he would be a 5th option. The small sample size we do have, I would surely say he still has it.  With Moncrief emerging I just don't know if it's possible to keep him.  He has been patient as you know he was frusterated early on in the season, which is great, and shows his true character.  I think alot of it will depend on what Reggies plans are though.

When did this thread turn into another bash TRich one?

It didn't...just pointing out that TRICH said he would be better after having an offseason and such...that didn't come to fruition right? Not like we expected. Comparing that Nicks HAS gotten better since being here...making difficult catches when he had to....and with a full year and another offseason under his belt I'd expect him to actually BE better in the horseshoe....not like mediocre and still underperformed such as happened with T RICH.

All of our offensive players outside the tackle box would be much better if we had an O-Line worth a dang.

Also I don't understand the infatuation with Duron Carter?  People just love to hop on the bandwagon, because why not, everybody else is doing it?  I'm all for signing Carter and seeing what he is about, but trust me, just because his last name is Carter doesn't mean he is as good as his father.  If you think Carter is our saving grace and is better than Nicks, from what basis, and facts do you have?

+1000