Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hakeem Nicks

RockThatBlue

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whalen may not be a flashy, superstar #1 speedster wide-out, but he is a very good route-running slot receiver with great hands. I'd have Whalen on my team, any day!

I've said it all along, you need different type of receivers on the team for different tree routes. You have a speedy guy (Hilton) you have a bigger guy with enough speed (Moncreif) and then you need a hands/route running guy (Wayne or Whalen). Nicks is a big body who is able to go up the ladder and fight for balls. I'd rather combo the other 3 types up than just a slower guy who has strong hands, that's more of a luxury and maybe even a curse. If you QB is throwing up balls and hoping your guy will always get it, you are bound to get over confident with that and throw picks. Route runners are a needed commodity.

Just Gavin being Gavin..   

Hakeem Nicks circa 2009 - 11 WAS A STUD.      He could RUN.      For whatever reason at 26, soon to be 27, he is simply not nearly as explosive and fast as he was.     His rep is the ONLY reason Indy gave him a shot on this team at 4m ...    NO way Indy brings him back for that .    Half maybe.      as is.    Now if he could somehow find his former self...     He would demand top dollar and Indy could not afford him.  

No way a rookie can step in and replace a Nicks in his "prime"      Not where Indy will be picking from.

I was agreeing with everything you were saying.....   right up to the last part,  and I have no idea why in the world you would say this,  much less think it.....

That's a very curious statement.    The guy was a flat-out stud in his earlier career form.   And you think that can be replaced?

Goodness, why?

I don't see any of the 3 on this team next season.      Maybe Wayne at a base rate number ...   but I doubt it.  This team NEEDS to get a lot faster on the outside.   And they will.   It just opens everything up.          Nicks and Wayne bog this O down.

I can honestly see the Colts signing Carter and re-signing Wayne. I think Nicks will be the odd man out.

I don't see any of the 3 on this team next season.      Maybe Wayne at a base rate number ...   but I doubt it.  This team NEEDS to get a lot faster on the outside.   And they will.   It just opens everything up.          Nicks and Wayne bog this O down.

If Reggie wants to come back I know we will allow him back eith open arms. He can share slot snaps, be a leader and role player for the younger guys. I don't have a problem with that.

With TY and Moncrief, they're already pretty fast.  I'd rather go for the sure handed (and big) possession receiver.

+1000

I'm not going to lie, it seems that sons and cousins of NFL Superstars don't really produce. 

Edgerrin James Superstar -> Javarris James Poop

Jerry Rice Superstar-> Jerry Rice Jr. bounced around three teams before Injured Reserve

Joe Montana Superstar -> Nate Montana Free Agent

Clay Matthews III Superstar -> Jake Matthews and Kevin Matthews (Cousins) meh.

Aaron Rodgers (Maybe the best QB in the game right now) -> Jordan Rodgers (brother) in the CFL

Pedigree in the NFL doesn't really mean anything, and if Jerry Rice's son can't make an NFL Roster, what makes you think that Cris Carter's son will light the world on fire?

Just Gavin being Gavin..   

Hakeem Nicks circa 2009 - 11 WAS A STUD.      He could RUN.      For whatever reason at 26, soon to be 27, he is simply not nearly as explosive and fast as he was.     His rep is the ONLY reason Indy gave him a shot on this team at 4m ...    NO way Indy brings him back for that .    Half maybe.      as is.    Now if he could somehow find his former self...     He would demand top dollar and Indy could not afford him.  

No way a rookie can step in and replace a Nicks in his "prime"      Not where Indy will be picking from.

T.Y. Hilton alone was a 3rd round pick who put up 861 yards his rookie year only starting 1 game...Had he started just 8 games he would have blown Nicks best season out of the water. Moncrief likely would have came close in yards as well his rookie year had he started more then 2 games

Dan Dakich asked Grigs this EXACT question today on 1070  ..  "Is Wayne coming back?"   His reply was not what you would think.   He simply said something to the tune of I'm not in off season mode yet.      He did NOT say if wants to come back he will be here.    He said "many" factors will go into it...    MONEY and the cap being one.   

Reggie is not a Pro Bowl player any more, not close.    IF he wants to come back it will have to be at Indy's price.      And this team has a LOT of young talent that are going to want paid this off season.

I personally think Reggie is going to retire.    And I also think TY will be getting a pay raise this off season.     He is terribly underpaid.     Wayne, Nicks, Fleener, Allen, Richardson all make more than the BEST skill position player on the team not named Luck.   I think that is about to change.

I think TY is about to get about 10m per    That would equal what both RW and HN made this season.    

JMO    AND yes I know TY has another year left on his rookie deal.

If Reggie wants to come back I know we will allow him back eith open arms. He can share slot snaps, be a leader and role player for the younger guys. I don't have a problem with that.

I'm not going to lie, it seems that sons and cousins of NFL Superstars don't really produce. 

Edgerrin James Superstar -> Javarris James Poop

Jerry Rice Superstar-> Jerry Rice Jr. bounced around three teams before Injured Reserve

Joe Montana Superstar -> Nate Montana Free Agent

Clay Matthews III Superstar -> Jake Matthews and Kevin Matthews (Cousins) meh.

Aaron Rodgers (Maybe the best QB in the game right now) -> Jordan Rodgers (brother) in the CFL

Pedigree in the NFL doesn't really mean anything, and if Jerry Rice's son can't make an NFL Roster, what makes you think that Cris Carter's son will light the world on fire?

Clay Matthews brother, Casey Matthews, also. Jake Matthews will probably be okay, but he was bad as a rookie. Of course, his dad and uncle were pretty awesome.

I agree, pedigree doesn't matter a whole lot. I'd probably rather have a guy who is related to a hard working journeyman, rather than a star. I'm fine with bringing Carter in. I just don't understand projecting him to be some kind of star. Most players, receivers especially, who take his path to the NFL, don't succeed long term. 

as much as I love him, wayne is done. luck rarely looks in his direction anymore. resign nicks to a two year 4 million dollar contract and let him build some rapport with luck. hitlon moncrief nicks and I guess carter since it seems inevitable to sign here  

as much as I love him, wayne is done. luck rarely looks in his direction anymore. resign nicks to a two year 4 million dollar contract and let him build some rapport with luck. hitlon moncrief nicks and I guess carter since it seems inevitable to sign here  

imo wayne is not done, he is playing injured, not at full speed

I can honestly see the Colts signing Carter and re-signing Wayne. I think Nicks will be the odd man out.

I love Reggie as much as anyone and respect him as well, but if you honestly think it is the Colts best interest to resign Wayne and let Nicks walk you may want to go get your head checked.  Money aside, Nicks is a heck of a lot better than Wayne, but isn't given the opportunity early on as he hoped.  He could go to another team an be a #1 or easily a #2 guy, if it wasn't for Wayne's history in Indy, he would more than likely be forced into retirement or ride the bench on another team.

I wish we could steal him for another 2 years with that low $ amount.  I think he is still open to signing here if Reggie does hang them up and is promised a bigger role, but I feel he has proven to himself he can still get the job done if he is a major part of an offense.  The NFL is a business and I think he realizes he is too good to ride the bench, so unless we pay him (what he thinks he is worth, not another bargain deal) and Reggie walks, he is probably not in a Colts uniform next year.

Clay Matthews brother, Casey Matthews, also. Jake Matthews will probably be okay, but he was bad as a rookie. Of course, his dad and uncle were pretty awesome.

I agree, pedigree doesn't matter a whole lot. I'd probably rather have a guy who is related to a hard working journeyman, rather than a star. I'm fine with bringing Carter in. I just don't understand projecting him to be some kind of star. Most players, receivers especially, who take his path to the NFL, don't succeed long term. 

That's why I think Colts should let Reggie go, resign Nicks and not expect so much *IF* we get Carter.  People's already acting like the contract is drawn up and ready to be signed, and that he is a HOF son he is destined for greatness.  lmao @some people on here...

I don't think TY needs a mentor any longer.  Moncrief maybe, but Nicks would be a better mentor because he does have the experience and plays more like Nicks than Reggie.  Moncrief is tall, skinny, and fast, but he will bulk up once he hits the weight room and perhaps lose a bit of speed as he gets older. 

I love Reggie as much as anyone and respect him as well, but if you honestly think it is the Colts best interest to resign Wayne and let Nicks walk you may want to go get your head checked.  Money aside, Nicks is a heck of a lot better than Wayne, but isn't given the opportunity early on as he hoped.  He could go to another team an be a #1 or easily a #2 guy, if it wasn't for Wayne's history in Indy, he would more than likely be forced into retirement or ride the bench on another team.

Reggie is just banged up and he's been playing half the season with a torn tripcep. Hakeem Nicks is going to need to take a significant pay cut to remain with the Colts. A cheap one year deal for Wayne to be a role player would be fine with me. With the emergence of Moncrief, and IF we do sign Carter, I would be okay with bringing in Wayne and keep him in the slot. We can rotate him in and out of the lineup to keep his legs and body fresh.

Wayne's leadership and value to this team, as well as locker room presence cannot be replaced.

Reggie is just banged up and he's been playing half the season with a torn tripcep. Hakeem Nicks is going to need to take a significant pay cut to remain with the Colts. A cheap one year deal for Wayne to be a role player would be fine with me. With the emergence of Moncrief, and IF we do sign Carter, I would be okay with bringing in Wayne and keep him in the slot. We can rotate him in and out of the lineup to keep his legs and body fresh.

Wayne's leadership and value to this team, as well as locker room presence cannot be replaced.

Reggie's torn tricep has nothing to do with how slow he is, but would explain some of his drops.  His groin injury would explain why he is so slow, except the play he injured his groin he had a 15 yard head start and got ran down on the 2.  That tells you he simply doesn't have the agility to do it anymore.  The main reason he gets a couple catches, is because CB's respect him and give him space, and he is a great route runner.  The defenders perhaps don't know if they played press man on him he can't get separation.  Nicks more than likely won't take much of a pay cut because he already won the SB and wants to be a go2 guy.  Unless things change in Indy, he wouldn't be a #2 guy.  TY and Moncrief is the future of Indy, so it's unlikely he resigns on that reasoning resulting in him not getting the money he deserves.

I agree Wayne's leadership is invaluable to the locker room and cannot be replaced, but so is Redding and Mathis'.  Eventually teams must do what's best for the organization.  Look at what happened to Manning.  Anybody in their right mind knew PM would bounce back, but Manning himself said management would be crazy to pass on Luck.

Reggie's torn tricep has nothing to do with how slow he is, but would explain some of his drops.  His groin injury would explain why he is so slow, except the play he injured his groin he had a 15 yard head start and got ran down on the 2.  That tells you he simply doesn't have the agility to do it anymore.  The main reason he gets a couple catches, is because CB's respect him and give him space, and he is a great route runner.  The defenders perhaps don't know if they played press man on him he can't get separation.  Nicks more than likely won't take much of a pay cut because he already won the SB and wants to be a go2 guy.  Unless things change in Indy, he wouldn't be a #2 guy.  TY and Moncrief is the future of Indy, so it's unlikely he resigns on that reasoning resulting in him not getting the money he deserves.

I agree Wayne's leadership is invaluable to the locker room and cannot be replaced, but so is Redding and Mathis'.  Eventually teams must do what's best for the organization.  Look at what happened to Manning.  Anybody in their right mind knew PM would bounce back, but Manning himself said management would be crazy to pass on Luck.

His inability to break off from the defender within the first five yards off the line of scrimmage could also be a result of him not getting seperation. Playing with one arm must be brutal.