Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Team has a Coaching Problem/Fire Coaches (Merge)

Horseshoe

LOL...there you go!  At least he gets to feast on cookies next week in Tennessee...might be his last meal though. 

I don't even know the way they played today, the Titans will give them a run for their $$$......................

If you can't run, block, play D, and turn the ball over multiple times/game it's hard to beat any team.  The last 3 games have been excruciatingly difficult including two wins against backup and bad QBs.  

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting the game with 3 runs, including a stupid draw on 3rd down, capped by a foolish fake punt from your own 19 yard line tells you all you need to know about this coaching staff. This is just an instance. We can talk forever about the lack of adequate game plans and predictability on offense.

Agreed!

Starting the game with 3 runs, including a stupid draw on 3rd down, capped by a foolish fake punt from your own 19 yard line tells you all you need to know about this coaching staff. This is just an instance. We can talk forever about the lack of adequate game plans and predictability on offense.

Seriously. That first drive draw on 3rd and 14 with Trent Richardson was one of the dumbest play calls I have seen this season. Pathetic play-calling.

Meanwhile, down in Arizona, a familiar face is just a quarterback away from a superbowl run.

Breaking news when Luck refuses to resign with Indy and gets picked up by either the Chargers or the Cardinals and wins super bowls.

Haven't even considered this but... why would Luck want to stay?

And what happens when he goes to work with Bill Belichick? 

First and foremost, unless this team drastically changes come playoff time, we need to make a splash and see if Harbaugh would be interested in coaching Andrew Luck again. If he would be, either ask Pagano to take a lesser role as DC, or let Harbaugh bring in his own DC and OC. Our coaches, along with some of Grigson's decisions, have cost this team's progression with a young stud at QB.

I believe Grigson should stay since he can identify talent, but coaching clearly is an issue especially at game preparation and OL.

I don't even know the way they played today, the Titans will give them a run for their $$$......................

If you can't run, block, play D, and turn the ball over multiple times/game it's hard to beat any team.  The last 3 games have been excruciatingly difficult including two wins against backup and bad QBs.  

We will win...it's an AFC South opponent and we will get to our obligatory 11-5 record.  Still it will be ho hum feeling for me even if we were to beat them by 50.  We dropped the ball (literally) in the games that truly showed the measure of this team. 

There are so many overreactions and ridiculous comments in the first page that I won't bother leaving a long response or reading the other pages. All I'll say is everybody chanting for Harbaugh and Rex Ryan, take a look at how their teams are performing. The Colts do have issues to fix but no need to overreact.

Let me ask you which is the best team we have beat all year? Okay which elite team have we been competitive against? Another one and done season. Book it.

Get rid of Pagano, this team is winning not because, but in spite of coaching staff. Would love someone like Harbaugh but that isn't happening. I hope local media can ask tough questions, we have been unprepared too many games this season.

Also what is the logic of 3 straight runs(run on 3rd and long) and asking your punter to throw? I know it was dropped, but just looking at logic behind that

Edit: also for those saying team had nothing to play for, so that's why they an egg. That's still on coaching....Also why play starters if there's no effort/heart?

This team didn't have much talent in 2012, but Arians knew how to get the team to play hard.

took you all 3 years firgure out pagano was avg hc ?

guy said today he sucks , that he was not rdy o play against dallas . gets old your coach says he never rdy for top elite teams  this year and half of last year. lucky get a 7 points today . see losing like 14 points , this a blow out.

Manning had a worst oline than this and he still was accurate

Not true. Manning in his first three seasons 60.4% - Luck 58.4% not much difference! 

And please take notice that the Colts are leading the NFL in drops this season! At least 1% of the difference between Manning and Luck come from Heyward-Bey alone ;-)

I do not like the coaches going out and telling the media what your scheme for the game is going to be, The first 3 plays of the game sums it up the cowboys loaded the box and dared the colts to run sorry but this is bad coaching 

took you few years knoiw that he bad caoching ..   need dc like rex ryan . oc like  coaches for pats.

I still think it was fine.  If McDonald makes the catch, I don't think people are that upset.  It's 100% on him

Agree.  I thought it was a brilliant call.  McDonald was wide open and already had the first down.  Just look the ball into your hands like you would a fair catch. A safety should be able to do that, easily.  The play was less risky and easier to convert than the on-side kick that Griff recovered.

its call a bad hc .

took you few years knoiw that he bad caoching ..   need dc like rex ryan . oc like  coaches for pats.

No it did not take me a few years to figure this out I was replying to a question from someone who really did not understand what chuck has done wrong, I have personally been saying for months the coaching staff has been a major issues with progress of this team. I have tried to get behind this coaching staff in their decision making but after today I just cannot accept everyone saying its the players, It starts with the coaching staff.  

Ok, well everyone on our team needs to improve. Luck has room for improvement but right now he's the best player on this team and he's the only thing keeping us from being a 3 or 4 win squad. Teams like the Jets, Bucs, Titans, Rams, and Bills would kill to have Andrew Luck just to name a few. There's a lot of problems with this team but he is not one of them.

I agree, but Luck holds the ball too long and takes to long to throw it once he decides.

Agree. I thought it was a brilliant call. McDonald was wide open and already had the first down. Just look the ball into your hands like you would a fair catch. A safety should be able to do that, easily. The play was less risky and easier to convert than the on-side kick that Griff recovered.

You take that chance when you have confidence that your defense can stop the opponent if you don't convert. Our defense can't stop a cold now. There was no reason to take that chance backed up at your own 20 yard line down by 7.

I'm not one for overreacting after 1 game and I'm sure we should evaluate every position etc at the end of the year. It isn't out of the question that a first time head coach and first time nfl oc could be over their head. Pagano came from a defense that was elite LONG before he arrived and was lead by two future HOF in Lewis and Reed and had pro bowlers all over that defense ngata Suggs etc. who couldn't coach that defense? Pep was coaching Andrew luck and a whole offense of nfl stars at te and on that line. I think we should definitely evaluate our coaches....if there was a great coach out there I would be for it but I doubt that happens. My concerns are we make few in game adjustments and don't seem to have great game plans for playoff caliber teams. Guess we will see what happens. We have a horrible offensive line. We have some great pieces on offense and defense but are far from a SB caliber team.

You take that chance when you have confidence that your defense can stop the opponent if you don't convert. Our defense can't stop a cold now. There was no reason to take that chance backed up at your own 20 yard line down by 7.

No, this was the perfect time to take that chance.  Here's how I know...McDonald was WIDE OPEN.  So, that means their team had no idea it was coming.  About the same in that regard as McAfee's dribble kickoff.

The poor capabilities of our defense didn't factor in, here.  If they did, all the more reason to attempt it.  A punt puts our defense back on the field.

This team is regressing.  There's no doubt. 

This organization had a once in a lifetime opportunity when it drafted Luck, with all the available cap space over two years.  They have fumbled the ball.  This team might be worse than it was in 2012.  Luck is better, but the team might be worse.  And the coaching was certainly better in 2012 with Arians. 

You hired a GM, coach and OC with no experience.  It's amateur hour.  With Luck, Irsay won Powerball, then hired the Three Stooges to handle his money. 

Let me ask you which is the best team we have beat all year? Okay which elite team have we been competitive against? Another one and done season. Book it.

Get rid of Pagano, this team is winning not because, but in spite of coaching staff. Would love someone like Harbaugh but that isn't happening. I hope local media can ask tough questions, we have been unprepared too many games this season.

Also what is the logic of 3 straight runs(run on 3rd and long) and asking your punter to throw? I know it was dropped, but just looking at logic behind that

Edit: also for those saying team had nothing to play for, so that's why they an egg. That's still on coaching....Also why play starters if there's no effort/heart?

This team didn't have much talent in 2012, but Arians knew how to get the team to play hard.

No.    This team doesn't have a coaching problem,  this team has a talent problem.

I still think it was fine.  If McDonald makes the catch, I don't think people are that upset.  It's 100% on him

It was still a very bad call because the pros of a successful play were dwarfed by the consequences of failure.

Success:

Fist down! Yeah!

But now what? The O was having serious problems connecting. Didn't actually get a 1st until there was like 2:45 before the half.

So you get the 1st off the fake punt but then the O stalls to another 3 and out. Would have been all sound and fury signifying nothing.

Failure:

You have just given the opponents the ball in the red zone.

A team that was shredding your D. In the red zone.

There is no way to interpret that decision other than it being incomprehensibly foolish.

The worst thing that happened to the Colts organization is when Pagano made his way back to the sideline. Love the man, he is a good man, glad he made his way back from cancer, but he is not a head coach in the NFL. Wish Pagano would have road off into the sunset to spend more time with his family after battling back from cancer. Great for him but bad for the Colts. Have followed Pagano's career since his days at UNC. The guy is an above average DC, not a head coach. Just look at what Bruce Arians did in the time he had the reigns while Pagano was down. Arians had our offense performing at full throttle as Luck was throwing that pigskin all over the field. He had unbelievable numbers as a rookie quarterback. If Arians hadn't gotten sick in the playoff game against the Ravens who knows what might have happened. Luck looked lost that game. Since there's no chance at Arians anymore (he will be COACH of the YEAR at Arizona), we are stuck with Pagano for at least another year or two. That * OC (Pep Hamilton) we have now is lost, and Pagano can't give him help because he knows nothing about the offensive side of the ball. And it looks like Pagano isn't much help to Manusky on the defensive side either because of the way our defense performs on a regular basis. Pagano's a nice guy, just not a head coach. All this leaves me to this: PLEASE BRING IN REX RYAN AS THE DC (if he doesn't get a head job somewhere else) AND HIRE ANOTHER OC. Pep is way out of his league. If Pagano makes these changes he might keep his job for another couple years. WAIT A MINUTE! FORGET EVERYTHING I JUST SAID. The Colts are simply too soft. We back down when we get punched in the mouth, and that starts at the top. Pagano is too nice and too soft. FIRE PAGANO AFTER THE SEASON AND HIRE CAPTAIN COMEBACK. PLEASE!!

I disagree.   I think the problem is talent.  Lets take the Cotls defense.  Vontae Davis is the only player on defense you could probably say is one of the better players at his position in the NFL.  Offensively, maybe Luck and Hilton?  Tell me another good team in the NFL that has so few impact players?   We just aren't very good talent wise.  But then again, when you change out 48 players in 3 years, that happens.

I would have to agree.  One of the reasons we have so many comebacks is because our gameplans are garbage both on offense and defense.  Then, we have to throw it out the window in the second half and let Andrew do his thing.  Maybe a list of my grievences would be better:

1.  Richardson only plays because we gave up a lot for him.  Nice guy but no vision, no speed.  3 yrd avg.

2.  The offense is clunky at best and has no natural rhythm, not what a west coast offense should look like.

3.  We seem to love the horizontal passing game, I like it in small doses but stop throwing the ball to the sidelines.

4.  We insist on forcing the run when it's not there and don't be so obvious about it. Coach to your talent!!!

5.  We can't stop the run after re-tooling the D, bringing in free agents and hiring a defenseive coach who tells us job 1 is running the ball and stopping the run? How's that going in year 3?

6.  We've been humiliated by Denver, Dallas, New England (twice on a high school game plan) and Pittsburgh.

7.  I love Andrew, but similar to Peyton in year 4, someone has to sit him down and tell him we love the never say die attitude but we have to control the hopeless turnovers.  This team can't overcome 1-3 TO's per game.  Love the guy...big, big fan but he needs to be coached too.   

In defense, to be fair, I think the team plays with great effort and I think we have marginal talent on the field at times, especially at O-Line, RB, LB, and D-Line.  Our special teams is doing very, very well except for the occasional shank by Macafee.