Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Team has a Coaching Problem/Fire Coaches (Merge)

Horseshoe

I disagree.   I think the problem is talent.  Lets take the Cotls defense.  Vontae Davis is the only player on defense you could probably say is one of the better players at his position in the NFL.  Offensively, maybe Luck and Hilton?  Tell me another good team in the NFL that has so few impact players?   We just aren't very good talent wise.  But then again, when you change out 48 players in 3 years, that happens.

Well then, maybe Irsay should fire Grigson if we have such poor talent.

It's Grigson who is in charge of finding talent.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst thing that happened to the Colts organization is when Pagano made his way back to the sideline. Love the man, he is a good man, glad he made his way back from cancer, but he is not a head coach in the NFL. Wish Pagano would have road off into the sunset to spend more time with his family after battling back from cancer. Great for him but bad for the Colts. Have followed Pagano's career since his days at UNC. The guy is an above average DC, not a head coach. Just look at what Bruce Arians did in the time he had the reigns while Pagano was down. Arians had our offense performing at full throttle as Luck was throwing that pigskin all over the field. He had unbelievable numbers as a rookie quarterback. If Arians hadn't gotten sick in the playoff game against the Ravens who knows what might have happened. Luck looked lost that game. Since there's no chance at Arians anymore (he will be COACH of the YEAR at Arizona), we are stuck with Pagano for at least another year or two. That * OC (Pep Hamilton) we have now is lost, and Pagano can't give him help because he knows nothing about the offensive side of the ball. And it looks like Pagano isn't much help to Manusky on the defensive side either because of the way our defense performs on a regular basis. Pagano's a nice guy, just not a head coach. All this leaves me to this: PLEASE BRING IN REX RYAN AS THE DC (if he doesn't get a head job somewhere else) AND HIRE ANOTHER OC. Pep is way out of his league. If Pagano makes these changes he might keep his job for another couple years. WAIT A MINUTE! FORGET EVERYTHING I JUST SAID. The Colts are simply too soft. We back down when we get punched in the mouth, and that starts at the top. Pagano is too nice and too soft. FIRE PAGANO AFTER THE SEASON AND HIRE CAPTAIN COMEBACK. PLEASE!!

I agree with much of this, Harbaugh is going Michigan at $8M per....so you can forget that sentiment, you could get Chuckie.

Did anyone ever look at Luck numbers under Arians compared to under Chuck? They should be worse as a rookie right? If they are better under Arians,plus he was a rookie then that looks even worse on this organization....I have to check the numbers.

Lucks numbers under Arians WERE worse back then.

Most of that is to be expected -- Luck was a rookie and the team didn't have very much talent.

But Luck's numbers were NOT better under Arians,  so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.    Luck's numbers have gotten better year over year.    The exception this year is a return to too many interceptions and fumbles as he did in year one,  but improved upon in year two.

Most of that can be chalked up to Luck having to do most everything.   He's got a poor OL and a poor running game.

I'm not sure I'm defending Pagano by asking - what exactly did he do wrong today? It wasn't a scheme thing today as far as I can tell, it was execution wasn't there and talent wasn't on par with the Cowboys.

There was absolutely no preparation for this game and you can't convince otherwise. Someone did not do their job and Pagans is the head coach. They should have stayed in INDY. Absolutely pathetic.

Well then, maybe Irsay should fire Grigson if we have such poor talent.

It's Grigson who is in charge of finding talent.

When a team is stripped bare as the Colts were in 2011,  it takes longer than three years to get all the talent you need.

And it's not like we're struggling along here.     We'll win next week.

That's three straight 11 win season in a row under Grigson/Pagano/Luck. 

Sorry,  but it's not like the fan base here is suffering.......

Let's just fire the entire staff, to appease a fickle fan base. Good idea...

Well one guy says we have lousy talent, other say we have lousy coaches.

The truth is it's a frustrating time to be a Colts fan with the terrible performances of late.

Maybe you are ok with the same old crap. But I am not.

What I would like to know (and will probably never know) is just how much(percentage wise for example) does coaching staff and the players practice fundamentals as opposed to preparing game plans for opponents and practicing the plays they are gonna run

Well one guy says we have lousy talent, other say we have lousy coaches.

The truth is it's a frustrating time to be a Colts fan with the terrible performances of late.

Maybe you are ok with the same old crap. But I am not.

So a bunch of upset Colts fans complaining after a bad loss say that the talent and the coaching staff are bad, so let's just blow everyone out, right? Is that it?

And yeah, let's not talk about what one is or isn't satisfied with. That's irrelevant. You don't fire your staff because you're not satisfied with the results at the end of the year. You get rid of guys who aren't doing their jobs, and you can't determine that based on a few bad weeks. Especially coming from where this team is coming from. My tune will be drastically different a year from now if the Colts can't perform better.

I think maybe you give Pagano another year if you're Irsay/Grigson. But I think a change needs to be made after this season at both coordinator positions. Improvement has not occurred on either side of the ball in the past two seasons. In fact, for two straight years the offense has slowly gotten worse as the season has progressed. The defense has consistently been up and down but can't seem to do anything against an elite QB. Bottom line: Pep and Manusky need to be shown the door and Pagano needs to be given a short leash with new coordinators/schemes.

No! A Elite HC is available now, can't wait for another season. Give the 49ers what ever they want and then give Harbaugh anything and everything he wants and we will have a Championship caliber team.

No! A Elite HC is available now, can't wait for another season. Give the 49ers what ever they want and then give Harbaugh anything and everything he wants and we will have a Championship caliber team.

What if they'll just take Pagano? I'm so up for that 

Plus Harbaugh goes from the best division in football to the worst

I try to be the good fan and not go ballistic when bad things happen but this team and coaches are driving me crazy for a number of reasons.

1. First off to those that feel like this team is like the 2006 team, forget it, we do not have a defensive game changer coming back, And the defense is different. Besides everyone who thinks it is the same keeps pointing to the Jacksonville game in 2006. This year we have had the Pats, Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles let alone the games with Washington and Cleveland show us something is missing and a little more effort is needed

2.  Grigson has not fixed the offensive line. It was a problem when he got here and it is still a problem.I still would like to know why Shipley is not playing. Must be because things work, I know that is stupid, but bottom line is some decision concerning this part of our team has got me scratching what little hair is on my head. we have not protected Luck, and we have no Run game (That spells disaster against good teams) Grigson first draft was a gem, check Andrew luck and T.Y.) but he has been sub par ever since. How could miss with Luck.

3. I'm starting to really get down on Luck. Some of his decisions with the ball are ridiculous, Some of his decisions as a starting QB are sub par. Yes I know he is under pressure, but sometimes he is not. He is responsible for getting the offense into position and getting us off on the right foot, The last four or five games he has not done his job. I wonder why he has not gotten much of the flack about this team.

4. defense is that good, especially the front three or four. They never seem to preform any stunts or tactics on the snap of the ball. And if they are suppose to let the linebackers fill gaps that isn't working either because the other team can block us 1 on 1 and the everyone over pursues. Robert Mathis is not coming back this year and Manusky has no imagination.

5. When are we going to admit Trent Richardson was a mistake. If our players have to man up then our coaches and front office should also.

6. Lastly I'm beginning to agree with some previous posters that 1. Chuck Pagano is a great person. he was a good D coordinator. And he is a battler, but I'm starting to think he is out of his league as a head coach. We need something, I'm not sure what is but I'm beginning to believe Chuck can't provide it. It reminds me sometimes of Norv Turner and the Chargers. Also Pep has got to go. He is just not getting it done.

7 lastly, the biggest thing we need is good young players, not signable back up free agents, they are also part of the problem.

Just venting because I want so much for this team to win in the playoffs. And yes I understand it is a process, but this is three years in and some of the same problems still remain from 4 years ago.

So a bunch of upset Colts fans complaining after a bad loss say that the talent and the coaching staff are bad, so let's just blow everyone out, right? Is that it?

And yeah, let's not talk about what one is or isn't satisfied with. That's irrelevant. You don't fire your staff because you're not satisfied with the results at the end of the year. You get rid of guys who aren't doing their jobs, and you can't determine that based on a few bad weeks. Especially coming from where this team is coming from. My tune will be drastically different a year from now if the Colts can't perform better.

It really doesn't take that long to rebuild a team when you have the kind of cap space the Colts had in 2013 and 2014. Plus they have Andrew Luck.For instance , take the O line. They used a 2nd 3rd 4th and 7th round draft picks. Signed a RT to the highest contract ever for his position, Signed a fairly expensive guard . Result... ? Can't run the ball or protect the QB. Yeah .. I guess you can blame it on injuries but there might be something to guys like Satele , McGlynn and Cherlius playing better with previous team and subsequent teams. Thornton has not developed , Holmes looked really lousy today , Nixon was a joke.  

Not saying I agree with the mob but Im beginning to have doubts. The good thing is that after next year the Colts can pretty much dump all the Grigson guys that turn out to be duds without a whole lot of cap consequence.

It really doesn't take that long to rebuild a team when you have the kind of cap space the Colts had in 2013 and 2014. Plus they have Andrew Luck.For instance , take the O line. They used a 2nd 3rd 4th and 7th round draft picks. Signed a RT to the highest contract ever for his position, Signed a fairly expensive guard . Result... ? Can't run the ball or protect the QB. Yeah .. I guess you can blame it on injuries but there might be something to guys like Satele , McGlynn and Cherlius playing better with previous team and subsequent teams. Thornton has not developed , Holmes looked really lousy today , Nixon was a joke.  

Not saying I agree with the mob but Im beginning to have doubts. The good thing is that after next year the Colts can pretty much dump all the Grigson guys that turn out to be duds without a whole lot of cap consequence.

It's a blessing and a curse that this team rebounded from 2011 so quickly. For some, it has resulted in a skewed perspective.

The reality is that you don't build a championship team in free agency, so it doesn't really matter how much cap space the team had. Expecting a Super Bowl in less than three years (which is still where we are) is completely unrealistic. Getting back in the mix is a result of Luck being able to play at a high level, especially late in games, so soon. It's not "plus they have Luck." He was the difference.

And I'm not blindly devoted to Grigson or Pagano. I just think that, three years in, it's absurd to be moaning about not being one of the very best teams in the NFL and talking about wasted potential and all that crap. 

I would hate to look up in a couple years and see that we've turned into the 2013-14 Falcons. We always thought that the Falcons were on their way, that Mike Smith was a good coach, etc. And now, they look like they need to hit the reset button. I'm nervous that Pagano doesn't have that next level ability to lead a team into serious contention. But that's entirely different from the peanut gallery attitude around here. 

How have they been wrong?

Because they're spoiled.

Winning 11 games in each of the first 3 years isn't enough.

Some here want Pagano fired.    Some here wish Pagano was fired so Arians would still be here.

Some want Manusky fired.

Spoiled.

How would you like to be a fan of.....   Jacksonville, Tennessee, Atlanta, Buffalo, Oakland, St. Louis, Chicago, or Cleveland right about now?     You think those fans wouldn't trade places with the Colts in a heart beat?

It's not uncommon for a post to show up saying Grigson has paid no attention to the OLine.   That happens multiple times a year.

Except it's wrong.    The guy has invested 2/3/4 in draft picks and brought in Cherilous and Thomas at considerable expense.

Some of the moves haven't worked out for reasons beyond Grigson's control.   But that doesn't stop the ridiculous assertion that Grigson hasn't tried to build the line.

Fans are just being fans.   But that doesn't make every claim they make right.    Because they don't know what's going on on the inside.     They just know they want wins and whatever changes they want to make that happen.

It's a blessing and a curse that this team rebounded from 2011 so quickly. For some, it has resulted in a skewed perspective.

The reality is that you don't build a championship team in free agency, so it doesn't really matter how much cap space the team had. Expecting a Super Bowl in less than three years (which is still where we are) is completely unrealistic. Getting back in the mix is a result of Luck being able to play at a high level, especially late in games, so soon. It's not "plus they have Luck." He was the difference.

And I'm not blindly devoted to Grigson or Pagano. I just think that, three years in, it's absurd to be moaning about not being one of the very best teams in the NFL and talking about wasted potential and all that crap. 

I would hate to look up in a couple years and see that we've turned into the 2013-14 Falcons. We always thought that the Falcons were on their way, that Mike Smith was a good coach, etc. And now, they look like they need to hit the reset button. I'm nervous that Pagano doesn't have that next level ability to lead a team into serious contention. But that's entirely different from the peanut gallery attitude around here. 

I'm not saying we should be winning a SB this year , I'm saying when your owner says protect Luck at all cost and you have 3 years to draft and around 120 million in cash to spend , you should not have that pile of crap we've been seeing for the past 3 years. I can understand 2012 , be disappointed in 2013 but I'm puking at what I see in 2014. You can say we need more time and I say we've had the time Money and draft picks to fix what our owner (correctly) called the #1 priority

I'm not saying we should be winning a SB this year , I'm saying when your owner says protect Luck at all cost and you have 3 years to draft and around 120 million in cash to spend , you should not have that pile of crap we've been seeing for the past 3 years. I can understand 2012 , be disappointed in 2013 but I'm puking at what I see in 2014. You can say we need more time and I say we've had the time Money and draft picks to fix what our owner (correctly) called the #1 priority

So now what? Back to the drawing board, right?

I think plenty of attention has been given to the line. It needs plenty more attention, to be sure. But it has been prioritized. It will continue to be prioritized, because it still needs help. Not much anyone can do about the line right now in Week 16, though. This team will go as far as it can, and then it's on to 2015.

Also, it's a little interesting that we're talking about the offensive line after today, when the defense was the primary issue, in a thread about how terrible the coaching is.

They should have hired Jeff Fisher.

:lol:  haha  :funny:

Jeff Fisher??

Let's see....a whopping 3 division titles and a total of 6 winning seasons out of 20 seasons as a Head Coach....5 playoff victories, with 3 of those clustered into one post season.

Jeff Fisher is the absolute portrait of NFL coaching mediocrity....and he'd be drawn and quartered on this whinefest of a Forum. 

It was still a very bad call because the pros of a successful play were dwarfed by the consequences of failure.

Success:

Fist down! Yeah!

But now what? The O was having serious problems connecting. Didn't actually get a 1st until there was like 2:45 before the half.

So you get the 1st off the fake punt but then the O stalls to another 3 and out. Would have been all sound and fury signifying nothing.

Failure:

You have just given the opponents the ball in the red zone.

A team that was shredding your D. In the red zone.

There is no way to interpret that decision other than it being incomprehensibly foolish.

It could also show the Cowboys that you're going to play aggressive.  It could take away some of their momentum and move it to our side.  You never know what all the consequences of it would have been

Also, it's a little interesting that we're talking about the offensive line after today, when the defense was the primary issue, in a thread about how terrible the coaching is.

The really scary part is we have one of the five most expensive defenses in the league and they're this bad. Can you imagine how bad our defense will be when were paying Luck 20+ mil a year and, Hilton/Fleener/Allen/Castonzo get their second contracts.

Although, this is the same guy that made the 49ers look terrible before Harbaugh took over, so its not a surprise to see so much talent go to waste.

So now what? Back to the drawing board, right?

I think plenty of attention has been given to the line. It needs plenty more attention, to be sure. But it has been prioritized. It will continue to be prioritized, because it still needs help. Not much anyone can do about the line right now in Week 16, though. This team will go as far as it can, and then it's on to 2015.

You could talk about any aspect of playing football you want after today. Your a good guy and also IMO smart . I respect your opinion and I'm not saying fire them all after today. Yes the defense was as horrible as the O line. The receivers had more drops than catches while the game was still in contention. I just picked the O line because IMO it's been an issue for 3 years . I don't see free agents helping. I don't see young guys getting better and developing. I see guys leave and play better . No arrows pointing up and it bothers me.

The fake punt looked like it was a decision made by the players on the field.  The Cowboys player covering our gunner crashed down the line to rush the punt.  One of our guys then made a gesture, wiping his hands on his jersey.  I think that was the call for the fake punt.  So I think that was the players, not the coaches

Yeah but if you're the coach in that situation knowing you've practiced that play all week, you should know when they are attempting to execute that fake punt with very bad field position.  This is being done with the consequence of giving a very good offense premium field position if you don't get the first down.  Pagano should have called a time out and told them to just punt the ball after changing up the blocking to keep the punt from being blocked.  Instead Pagano allows them to go for it, and when it failed he says it was an "Execution" thing.   I hate to say it, but it was too high risk to attempt from there.

Watching something like that almost makes me think they came into this game with some kind of preseason mentality where they wanted to test and try things knowing they were already in the playoffs.

You could talk about any aspect of playing football you want after today. Your a good guy and also IMO smart . I respect your opinion and I'm not saying fire them all after today. Yes the defense was as horrible as the O line. The receivers had more drops than catches while the game was still in contention. I just picked the O line because IMO it's been an issue for 3 years . I don't see free agents helping. I don't see young guys getting better and developing. I see guys leave and play better . No arrows pointing up and it bothers me.

We'll see about the line. It has to get better. I hope it does, I just don't care to participate in the whinefest (no offense) about the offensive line here in Week 16. 

I don't know who you see leaving and getting better, unless you're still talking about Samson Satele. And that's just a weird thing to complain about. He was terrible here. He had a good couple of months in Miami, but he's back to pretty bad over the last few weeks. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

To me, the issues with the line are about injuries and some stalled development. That's not an excuse; it has to be fixed, but it is what it is. As you know and have mentioned, Grigson has spent plenty of resources on linemen. Maybe he hasn't gotten it right, but it's not for lack of trying. Irsay said to prioritize the line, and we have. Just have to get better. And because we have a lot of young players who have shown some talent, I think the arrow is pointing up. It might not be as steep of an incline as it should be, but I think we have some guys who can play. No doubt, we need more.

I'm way more worried about the defense. Terrible up the middle (we hadn't really been picked on lately, but today... ouch). No consistent pass rush. Poor tackling at the worst times. Lack of discipline (if not for Freeman's penalty, this could easily have been a different game, I think). And Grigson hasn't spent enough resources on young players with playmaking potential, IMO. He hasn't drafted a single cornerback in three years, and the one safety he drafted is gone. Two of his young acquisitions for 2014 are gone, one via trade, the other because he was a knucklehead. We're not athletic at ILB, still. Newsome is only a pass rusher, can't set the edge, can't cover, can't even chase in coverage. I could go on. I think we have more promise on the offensive line than we do on defense.

But we have a damn good QB, and that's huge. We're good at TE and WR. We have a lockdown corner and some potential at safety and OLB. Not a top 8 team talent-wise, but that's what the offseason is for. Grigson has to nail the draft, and he has to patch some holes in free agency. My whole thing is that I already knew all that. I was hoping we'd be able to do something in the playoffs this year; that hope is fading. But I never had any illusions that this team was among the elite in the NFL, and I think that's okay, coming from where we've come from.

And again, I think Grigson and Pagano and everyone else start to get viewed in a little different light after this coming offseason.

Yeah but if you're the coach in that situation knowing you've practiced that play all week, you should know when they are attempting to execute that fake punt with very bad field position.  This is being done with the consequence of giving a very good offense premium field position if you don't get the first down.  Pagano should have called a time out and told them to just punt the ball after changing up the blocking to keep the punt from being blocked.  Instead Pagano allows them to go for it, and when it failed he says it was an "Execution" thing.   I hate to say it, but it was too high risk to attempt from there.

Watching something like that almost makes me think they came into this game with some kind of preseason mentality where they wanted to test and try things knowing they were already in the playoffs.

I disagree. When you have a clear win, you go for it. And they did. Dewey just failed to catch the ball. Yes, it was risky, but you don't refuse to take a big play when the team is giving it up to you. 

terrible loss worse game of luck's career. Moncrief was under ultilized, d allen couldn't catch a cold, couldn't run the ball, when we passed it it was incomplete or intercepted, Luck looked like painter, pat mat had a bad punt, coaches looked like a deer in the headlights, and get to hear all the cowboys fans at work brag about how they spanked us for weeks.

We'll see about the line. It has to get better. I hope it does, I just don't care to participate in the whinefest (no offense) about the offensive line here in Week 16. 

I don't know who you see leaving and getting better, unless you're still talking about Samson Satele. And that's just a weird thing to complain about. He was terrible here. He had a good couple of months in Miami, but he's back to pretty bad over the last few weeks. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

To me, the issues with the line are about injuries and some stalled development. That's not an excuse; it has to be fixed, but it is what it is. As you know and have mentioned, Grigson has spent plenty of resources on linemen. Maybe he hasn't gotten it right, but it's not for lack of trying. Irsay said to prioritize the line, and we have. Just have to get better. And because we have a lot of young players who have shown some talent, I think the arrow is pointing up. It might not be as steep of an incline as it should be, but I think we have some guys who can play. No doubt, we need more.

I'm way more worried about the defense. Terrible up the middle (we hadn't really been picked on lately, but today... ouch). No consistent pass rush. Poor tackling at the worst times. Lack of discipline (if not for Freeman's penalty, this could easily have been a different game, I think). And Grigson hasn't spent enough resources on young players with playmaking potential, IMO. He hasn't drafted a single cornerback in three years, and the one safety he drafted is gone. Two of his young acquisitions for 2014 are gone, one via trade, the other because he was a knucklehead. We're not athletic at ILB, still. Newsome is only a pass rusher, can't set the edge, can't cover, can't even chase in coverage. I could go on. I think we have more promise on the offensive line than we do on defense.

But we have a damn good QB, and that's huge. We're good at TE and WR. We have a lockdown corner and some potential at safety and OLB. Not a top 8 team talent-wise, but that's what the offseason is for. Grigson has to nail the draft, and he has to patch some holes in free agency. My whole thing is that I already knew all that. I was hoping we'd be able to do something in the playoffs this year; that hope is fading. But I never had any illusions that this team was among the elite in the NFL, and I think that's okay, coming from where we've come from.

And again, I think Grigson and Pagano and everyone else start to get viewed in a little different light after this coming offseason.

Satele , Linkenbach and McGynn can all be argued to have played better this year. 

I disagree. When you have a clear win, you go for it. And they did. Dewey just failed to catch the ball. Yes, it was risky, but you don't refuse to take a big play when the team is giving it up to you. 

I don't agree with that at all.  Especially when you are down 7 already.

The Cowboys repeat that kind of alignment through out the game, we

could have tried it at another point in the game. Not from the 10-20 yard

line.