Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Team has a Coaching Problem/Fire Coaches (Merge)

Horseshoe

Look I'm not trying to be Negative Nancy, but Pagano should've been embarrassed. I am as a Colts fan was completely embarrassed, as I'm sure many of you are. That doesn't excuse him from crappy "answers" (lack thereof) regardless of how the lady put it in context. 

His responses have to better. His chuckisms are tired. 

Just like when asked why this player is a starter, he says "because he's our starter" and said it twice in a row, because he doesn't have a good answer.

Everybody in the horse shoe From Irsay to us faithful fans should be embarassed.  I feel he did not feel a need  to give those answers,  Everybody seemed to be for the Cowboys.  That included Sims and Nance...shocked.  A truly botched chance at taking a step forward......stepped WAY back.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His responses have to better.

I'm sure there were a handful of Patriots fans that said the same thing about Bellichik after his "we're moving on to Cincinnati" press conference while the other 99% of the fanbase said "who gives a flying elvis?"

Look I'm not trying to be Negative Nancy, but Pagano should've been embarrassed. I am as a Colts fan was completely embarrassed, as I'm sure many of you are. That doesn't excuse him from crappy "answers" (lack thereof) regardless of how the lady put it in context. 

His responses have to better. His chuckisms are tired. 

Just like when asked why this player is a starter, he says "because he's our starter" and said it twice in a row, because he doesn't have a good answer.

Again, I think that's a misrepresentation.

In Sunday's game, we didn't hear what he said. I'm not willing to criticize Pagano based on second hand paraphrasing.

About the starting running back situation, I don't know if you listened to that interview, or the interviews in preceding days. He'd been asked the same questions about the RB situation over and over again. He got short with the media because they were hounding him about their own personal favorite topic, and had asked him the same question three or four different ways in that same session. It wasn't that he didn't have a good answer. It was that they were digging for gold. It was really pretty pathetic on their part, IMO. 

i think there will be changes if colts go one and done in playoffs think irsay doesnt want to go through what we went through with peyton and i for one hope changes do happen

I think it's every easy to get stuck in the "maybe next year" mode. My fear is that Irsay has such a strong connection with Chuck that their personal relationship gets in the way of what may be the teams best interest.

Fire Pagano and Grigson. Go get Jim Harbaugh and possibly Rex. T rich trade was disaster, way to many draft busts (2013 and 2014 was NOT good drafts), "Monster defense" promised by pagano nowhere to be seen. I love Coach paganos attitude and as a person, but I think its time to move on

I am waiting to see what they are going to do in the playoffs before I fire up the torches

and raise the pitchfork. Whoever called the play with 3rd and 15 then ran T Rich up the gut

for a 3 yard gain should be horse whipped Sunday!

It reminded me of last year against the Patriots in the playoffs while down a huge amount

in the 4th quarter and punted instead of going for a first down. The coaching staff

essentially gave up at that point.

Fire Pagano and Grigson. Go get Jim Harbaugh and possibly Rex. T rich trade was disaster, way to many draft busts (2013 and 2014 was NOT good drafts), "Monster defense" promised by pagano nowhere to be seen. I love Coach paganos attitude and as a person, but I think its time to move on

2014 wasn't a good draft?

-Mewhort has probsbly been our second best lineman this year and has given the Colts a solid left side of the line.

-Moncrief has been impressive to say the least when he's out there and is a steal for a third round pick..

-Newsome makes something happen more times than not when he is out there.

They other guys haven't done much but they are the later round picks who normally take longer to come a long which is why they go later so giving up on them before their rookie season is over is not giving them a real chance.

Anytime you can get there players who have played as well as rookies as the three I mentiined earlier in one draft class where you didn't have a first round pick that's a pretty solid draft class.

2013's class I would agree has been a disappointment but you will have drafts like that now and then. The key is to not have two or three in a row like Chris Polian did.

Again, Polian and Grigson took over a 2-14 team that most thought maybe by this year would be contending for the playoffs this year. They over achieved and have gone to the playoffs all three years. While I understand things have become what have you done for me lately I realy doubt Irsay is going to over look how Grigson and Pagano surpasses mosts expectstions until now. In fact if they win a playoff game and get to the divisional round I think the Colts will have met most people's (maybe not all Colts fans) expectstions for the team coming into the season as most said the Colts were still in the group below Denver and New England. I don't see Irsay firing either one.

I think it's every easy to get stuck in the "maybe next year" mode. My fear is that Irsay has such a strong connection with Chuck that their personal relationship gets in the way of what may be the teams best interest.

i think they are still stuck in maybe this year mode. This season isn't over yet. Yes I know the Colts have flaws and aren't playing well right now but some of those flaws are correctable with the turnovers and pentalties if they get those things under control they will be hard out in the playoffs. We saw a similar thing happen with the 2006 Colts so I am not promising it will happen this year but we should know first hand it can and does happen.

IMHO, the coaches are our biggest problem, but because of the weakness of our opponents, nothing will be done about it.

Coaching is a big part of it, but poor decisions on the part of the front office is another part. Failing to fix the offensive line after 3 years, the T-Rich trade, which will live in infamy, and a slew of sketchy free-agent signings. All these things have combined to form a perfect storm of mediocrity.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you wanna see a team with a coaching staff that just doesn't have "it," look at the Bengals...

Do you think Lewis keeps his job? He's pretty much in lovie smith with the bears territory.

Great win for the colts. By the way, boom has 2 fumbles and gets benched, only getting one carry to give Tipton a breather. Where are the "this staff doesn't hold players accountable" people at? Lol

All those complaining about the coaching will -- predictably -- show up again if/when we lose in a later round of the playoffs.

Because, as we all know,  if we lose,  it has to be because we were the better team, but got out coached.

It can't simply be because the better team won.   

That's the way of the fan's world.....

I am actually THRILLED with the staff today...  

Moncrief got BIG snaps....   Boom got BIG snaps...   and TR did not see the field.  

BUT...      mental errors..??   ...

nevermind..       I like what i saw.. . 

All those complaining about the coaching will -- predictably -- show up again if/when we lose in a later round of the playoffs.

Because, as we all know,  if we lose,  it has to be because we were the better team, but got out coached.

It can't simply be because the better team won.   

That's the way of the fan's world.....

Lets flip Luck and Dalton....

just saying.... it is a bit HUGE...

Coaches shouldn't be penalized for having good QBs. And Marvin Lewis has many years of mediocrity, and worse, on his resume.

Bruce Arians would probably be in the divisional round with Andy Dalton...

Anyways, the defense was excellent for most of the game, the playcalling was really good, game management was good... but we're only going to chalk it up to Luck playing well (which he undoubtedly did).

Coaches shouldn't be penalized for having good QBs. And Marvin Lewis has many years of mediocrity, and worse, on his resume.

Bruce Arians would probably be in the divisional round with Andy Dalton...

Anyways, the defense was excellent for most of the game, the playcalling was really good, game management was good... but we're only going to chalk it up to Luck playing well (which he undoubtedly did).

or chalk it up to playing the bengals who arent that great. yeah no one can penalize a coach for having a good qb, but we can definitely take it into consideration after watching the team come completely unprepared to play many games and speculate how much of there success should be attributed to the qb. its been done before and probably will be done again by people much higher up than you

or chalk it up to playing the bengals who arent that great. yeah no one can penalize a coach for having a good qb, but we can definitely take it into consideration after watching the team come completely unprepared to play many games and speculate how much of there success should be attributed to the qb. its been done before and probably will be done again by people much higher up than you

I disagree, on many counts. But by all means...

Good all around game by the Colts toda. A few things to clean up but that can be said every week, Good to see the defense shut down the running game of the Bengals. Not having to deal Green certainly did not hurt of course

Colts cant go 1 for 4 vs the Broncos in the red zone next week and expect the game to be close, Have to get td's

We need the same type of performance from our run game next week but this time HANG ONTO THE BALL. We CAN beat Denver in Denver

I also find it interesting how many people have such strong opinions after a mostly meaningless regular season loss, but don't even log on after a playoff win.

Well.....their "fire Pagano and the staff" narratives are perilously close to being destroyed since we've equaled last season's playoff accomplishment, and God forbid could surpass it with an upset at Denver next week, after which they'd probably need grief counseling.

Not only that....but their favorite foil to Chuck Pagano....Bruce Arians....was unfortunately not able to offset his lesser talented QB with the Yoda-level coaching supremacy he supposedly enjoys over Chuck Pagano and Pep Hamilton in an effort to beat the Panthers....champions of the powerhouse NFC South.

In other words.....roster talent and experience matters....and a coaching staff can only do so much with young developing players.

Who knew?

Well.....their "fire Pagano and the staff" narratives are perilously close to being destroyed since we've equaled last season's playoff accomplishment, and God forbid could surpass it with an upset at Denver next week, after which they'd probably need grief counseling.

Not only that....but their favorite foil to Chuck Pagano....Bruce Arians....was unfortunately not able to offset his lesser talented QB with the Yoda-level coaching supremacy he supposedly enjoys over Chuck Pagano and Pep Hamilton in an effort to beat the Panthers....champions of the powerhouse NFC South.

In other words.....roster talent and experience matters....and a coaching staff can only do so much with young developing players.

Who knew?

It's impressive how the argument can bend to fit any shape. Poor play is because of the coach, good play is despite the coach. Foolproof. 

And this whole "the team isn't prepared" narrative, well I just can't wrap my mind around it. The team comes out and plays sloppy, and that means the coaches didn't prepare the players? Did they not know they had a game? Bad passes, fumbles, poor blocking, poor tackling, blown coverages... to me, those are primarily about player execution.

Also, good point about Bruce Arians. I give him the benefit of the doubt; they were decimated with injuries all year, and that team did a really good job shrugging off their issues. They also turned over a large percentage of the starting defense. He gets a lot of credit from me, getting into the playoffs in the toughest division in the league, and will probably win another Coach of the Year award. I think most would agree that he's done a good job, and is looking like a good head coach. As you said, many have said that he's better than Pagano. Yet, they won't win games against good teams without at least decent QBing. So why do we penalize Pagano for having a good QB? No one wins without a good QB.

It's to the point that some have openly hoped for the team to lose -- the team they claim to be fans of -- because they don't like the coach. I don't get it.

Well the Bengals did come within a couple of plays of winning the AFC north, a division that has 3 of its 4 teams in the playoffs. So, there's that.

Do you think Lewis keeps his job? He's pretty much in lovie smith with the bears territory.

Great win for the colts. By the way, boom has 2 fumbles and gets benched, only getting one carry to give Tipton a breather. Where are the "this staff doesn't hold players accountable" people at? Lol

I don't know about Lewis. While I don't think he's anything special as a coach -- I thought he could have been fired four years ago, and I think Mike Zimmer and Jay Gruden were excellent coordinators -- the Bengals have had big issues for a long time. And there are some coaches who can't even get in the playoffs with very good QBs (I'm looking at you, Mike Smith). Mike Brown doesn't seem like the kind of owner to pay two coaches at once, so I'd bet that Marvin finishes out his contract, at least.

Although, while the Bengals' issues predate Lewis, Lewis' issues predate Dalton...

This game doesnt mean much. We already stomped Cincy once. I am not afraid to say fire pagano even after the win. We won because of Luck

You just suggested that a team won because of their best player (brilliant concept there), called a playoff win meaningless, and have a pic of Jerry Sandusky (a convicted sex offender) as your avatar. Quite the trifecta.

I don't know about Lewis. While I don't think he's anything special as a coach -- I thought he could have been fired four years ago, and I think Mike Zimmer and Jay Gruden were excellent coordinators -- the Bengals have had big issues for a long time. And there are some coaches who can't even get in the playoffs with very good QBs (I'm looking at you, Mike Smith). Mike Brown doesn't seem like the kind of owner to pay two coaches at once, so I'd bet that Marvin finishes out his contract, at least.

Although, while the Bengals' issues predate Lewis, Lewis' issues predate Dalton...

Before Lewis, the Bengals and Raiders were nearly identical. Terrible teams, long history of consistent losing, terrible owner/GM situations, tough division.

Marvin Lewis may be the sole reason between the Bengals of today and the Raiders of today.

Before Lewis, the Bengals and Raiders were nearly identical. Terrible teams, long history of consistent losing, terrible owner/GM situations, tough division.

Marvin Lewis may be the sole reason between the Bengals of today and the Raiders of today.

That's the problem. They've been much better in his 12 years than they were before him. But still not good enough. 

Also, it's worth questioning how much input he has into personnel, because they have some really good players. Anyone who's been in an organization for that long probably has a lot of say in the draft room. 

Of course, let's throw shade after a playoff win against a bad team with a meh QB.

Luck was the most impressive thing about this win, he was sensational. But how many times have we gotten stomped after games like this? Our defense always looks good against crap teams, don't rub it in our faces until we beat the Broncos next week.

Until then this staff has a lot to prove as far as gameplanning against got teams and coaches.

Of course, let's throw shade after a playoff win against a bad team with a meh QB.

Luck was the most impressive thing about this win, he was sensational. But how many times have we gotten stomped after games like this? Our defense always looks good against crap teams, don't rub it in our faces until we beat the Broncos next week.

Until then this staff has a lot to prove as far as gameplanning against got teams and coaches.

I guess being right is more important than watching your team succeed. Why can't you just enjoy the win?

That bad team made the playoffs playing in the most competitive conference in football.   Three teams won double digits and the worst won 7....

And that Meh quarterback has been in the league four years and taken his team to the playoffs all four years.

Denver is the home team.    They're favored to win.  

This coaching staff that you're not impressed with beat Seattle last year -- the year they won the Super Bowl.   We beat Denver too,  and they went to the Super Bowl also.    They beat San Francisco, who was one play away from going to the SB.    And they beat KC -- twice.    All in the same year.

So,  if that's not enough to show what this staff is capable of,  I'd respectfully suggest the issues are yours and not theirs.

This staff knows what it's doing.....    I'm sorry you -- and a number of other people here -- don't seem to know that.