Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The most sacked QB this year. You guessed it.

NannyMcafee

And he missed the first week. Plenty of blame to go around. 

33% blame to the offensive line for not playing well. 

33% blame to the coaches for not having the offensive line and quarterback ready to handle blitz packages. 

33% blame to Brissett for not finding the hot route or throwing the ball away. 

1% blame to the fans for thinking they have all the answers. :D 

9 hours ago, P Son said:

Goes hand-in-hand with having the worst o-line in all of football (high schools included).  AC, at best, is a right tackle; revolving door at center; the rest of the o-liners just plain suck.  Go figure...

Go Colts!

Except that they aren't the worst line in football.  I'm not sure if you watch anyone else but there are easily 10 or 12 lines that would be considered worse talent wise. 

The main reason we have an oline problem is because A. we have a statue of a backup QB and B. the play calling that our offense employs seems like it is literally designed to make the oline look as terrible as possible and expose every flaw that is in existence. 

With B being the biggest and most upsetting problem. 

Our O-Line is not good, and I think that is being generous, but I will have to agree with @Surge89 and @BlueShoe that we have not helped them much either. Of course it would probably help if we actually were able to play with the same 5 every week or even 4 out of 5. Way too many injuries.  It is obvious that our communication on the line has struggled this year.

5 hours ago, OHColtfan said:

Our O-Line is not good, and I think that is being generous, but I will have to agree with @Surge89 and @BlueShoe that we have not helped them much either. Of course it would probably help if we actually were able to play with the same 5 every week or even 4 out of 5. Way too many injuries.  It is obvious that our communication on the line has struggled this year.

There's no helping them.  I mean, sure, more 3 and 5-step drop could act as a band-aid, but even then there is no guarantee.

The sad thing is, even Kelly has looked average at times out there this year.  I'm wondering if he just isn't right, physically.

Back to the line: If you watch the film, you would be amazed at how many free rushers opposing defenses get.

I'm talking about guys running so free that literally no one on the line touches them.  Every week.  I've never seen anything like it.

7 hours ago, OHColtfan said:

Been hearing and seeing lousy line for years now. Guess we can thank those in charge of drafting and coaching. 

17 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

33% blame to the coaches for not having the offensive line and quarterback ready to handle blitz packages. 

And 100% reason to remember the name. 

9 hours ago, Surge89 said:

Except that they aren't the worst line in football.  I'm not sure if you watch anyone else but there are easily 10 or 12 lines that would be considered worse talent wise. 

The main reason we have an oline problem is because A. we have a statue of a backup QB and B. the play calling that our offense employs seems like it is literally designed to make the oline look as terrible as possible and expose every flaw that is in existence. 

With B being the biggest and most upsetting problem. 

This is the problem my friends, Luck was criticized on this forum for holding the ball too long, now Brissett has the same issue. This coaching staff is poor and does not coach to the players strengths thus giving them a chance to succeed.

If the offensive line can't pass block you must go to quick outs. The Patriots have lived on this style with great success. Notice that no one views the Patriots Oline has elite. They just have a coach that knows how to masks their limitations. THIS IS WHAT GOOD COACHES DO.

18 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I can’t put only 33% on the coaching. Better coaching would scheme better to make certain he can get some quick hitting strike targets and run set up better. When your qb is out for over a year because he got sacked too much that you had to go get another qb who is now the most sacked, how can you just not point to the scheme and coaching for this more than the qb spot? I’m not saying JB isn’t at fault as well, I’ve not watched any games past the first home game out of nfl protest but from all i read, the qb is just holding the ball too long. Now if he can hold it that long to be considered too long, are we not using quick slants, short crossing patterns, screens or anything that isn’t designed to be a 25 yard touch pass down the field? 

Im not a savy OC but it seems odd that we can’t use short passing schemes to get the ball out in a hurry to some pre determined short reads. Do we employ a hot read? Maybe JB isn’t allowed or very good at reading a defense yet and call the plays at the line based on the alignment. I just can’t come to terms that this coaching staff is capable at building successful schemes that allow a qb on this team to succeed. I don’t get it. 

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

There's no helping them.  I mean, sure, more 3 and 5-step drop could act as a band-aid, but even then there is no guarantee.

The sad thing is, even Kelly has looked average at times out there this year.  I'm wondering if he just isn't right, physically.

Back to the line: If you watch the film, you would be amazed at how many free rushers opposing defenses get.

I'm talking about guys running so free that literally no one on the line touches them.  Every week.  I've never seen anything like it.

...I'm confused you say there is no helping them but acknowledge that there is a severe scheme flaw with free runners...

I have watched.  Plenty might I add and we employ some of the most irrational blocking schemes that some of the best lineman in history would have issues with.  I'll need to find the clip but one of the favorite gems for Indy is to pull a G 3 gaps and the center and G to slide over with the tackle on an island... usually against a standard alignment! It makes no sense!  By the time the Guard pulls either the Tackle has been overrun by 2 rushers or the DT on the initial gap is so far in the backfield that the pulling guard is literally behind him.  Frustrating to no end to watch...

Oh and the part the seas scheme we do is absurd.  Lineman are "supposed" to be taught that a pocket is the best thing for a QB.  As long as the front of the QB is free the sides can come around all day and the QB can step up.  Routinely we will have a T get a chip from the TE and instead of taking advantage of the chip and setting tight the T will widen about 2 players away from the G.  So either the T here is being taught really really bad.  Or it's a terrible scheme where the G needs to kickstep as much as the tackle to compensate.  Either way the coaches are asking to much from both players.  

With the same train of thought though I've also seen clips where the oline create an excellent pocket for Luck and instead of "climbing" and throw he tries to laterally escape and throw in space.  That again is not good fundamentals which would drastically make this oline look better.  

Not all OL are good at pass blocking and Not all OL are good at run blocking.  The best are good at both.  100% of the blame on Ballard and Philbin for not properly evaluating our OL and addressing the problem in the offseason.  I could see Philbin telling Ballard he was fine with Clarke and Haag and the rest and just find a replacement for Reitz.  We wait until the 4th. round for Banner. Oops.   If that's the case it appears neither one can identify OL talent.  Ballard would be better off signing proven OL talent in FA and overpaying if he has to.  Philbin can hit the road.  Ballard better fix our OL this offseason and it needs to show results or his honeymoon is over. 

i dont think we should count on rookies to fix the line .  we should draft a guard or two at some point, and go after more proven vets in FA with all of that money we have 

we might have our pick of the best defensive players in this draft class, i would rather go that route than take a guard in the top 5 

Having a poor OL is nothing new to the Colts, but being near the top of the league in sacks allowed is. That started in 2016...the same year that Chud installed his playbook and the same year that Philbin was hired to be the OL coach. I don't think this is a coincidence. I think teams have figured out this offense and the blocking schemes long ago...and have continually exploited their weaknesses.

As for who is more at fault, I don't think it matters...they are both responsible for this mess...and the Colts have to get rid of them both just to be sure.

36 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think we should count on rookies to fix the line .  we should draft a guard or two at some point, and go after more proven vets in FA with all of that money we have 

we might have our pick of the best defensive players in this draft class, i would rather go that route than take a guard in the top 5 

So you think good offensive linemen can be found in free agency? I don't think so. The good o-linemen are not left out in free agency. They are resigned and don't hit the market. There is a shortage of good o-linemen and when teams find them they keep them.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you think good offensive linemen can be found in free agency? I don't think so. The good o-linemen are not left out in free agency. They are resigned and don't hit the market. There is a shortage of good o-linemen and when teams find them they keep them.

Polian let Lilja and Jake Scott walk. 

1 hour ago, Introspect said:

This is the problem my friends, Luck was criticized on this forum for holding the ball too long, now Brissett has the same issue. This coaching staff is poor and does not coach to the players strengths thus giving them a chance to succeed.

If the offensive line can't pass block you must go to quick outs. The Patriots have lived on this style with great success. Notice that no one views the Patriots Oline has elite. They just have a coach that knows how to masks their limitations. THIS IS WHAT GOOD COACHES DO.

Brady has a super quick release. Luck or Brissett does not. The scheme you speak of works for a QB with a quick release but not for a QB like Luck.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

i think there is a shortage of them in the draft too.  more than a few highly drafted tackles have turned out to be busts or nothing special lately 

you could say that about any position, but i dont see any elite tackles in this draft (could be wrong about that) 

we might be in position to get the best defensive player in the class i would rather go that route than the guard from notre dame.  

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i think there is a shortage of them in the draft too.  more than a few highly drafted tackles have turned out to be busts or nothing special lately 

you could say that about any position, but i dont see any elite tackles in this draft (could be wrong about that) 

we might be in position to get the best defensive player in the class i would rather go that route than the guard from notre dame.  

Getting a great O-lineman in the draft is really the only way to get those players. And it's like you say it's all a crap shoot but you have to keep loading the gun. :)

27 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I for one do not want to see a high draft pick wasted on another o-liner. Get D or if Luck is done, then QB.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I for one do not want to see a high draft pick wasted on another o-liner. Get D or if Luck is done, then QB.

I understand you completely. However the need should be high on the Colts list. Via FA or draft. 

You can find good o-line in both the draft and FA.  It happens every year.  There are guys in the draft, no matter the position, that do not pan out.  Saying there are none in FA because they get re-signed in completely false.  Every year a guy hits the market because the team might not have the money or want to pay the money to keep them.  This year you might have a few as well, and they would be great upgrades to what we have (Norwell, Pugh/Richburg, Half of Green Bays line, Chris Clark, Su'a-Filo, Zach Fulton, Austin Pasztor, Allen Barbre, John Greco, maybe Solder doesn't retire, etc.)  

The draft will produce another good amount of guys this year as well, and not just 1st rounders.

You get one of Norwell/Pugh, Zach Fulton, Austin Pasztor/Chris Clark and you have a new line of much better talent to go with AC and Kelly.  Obviously we will more than likely not try and grab everyone through FA because of contracts.  So you get two hopefully and then draft another two or three.  This is a key area of interest and it should not be overlooked!

33 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Unless it's indeed a rare talent, I agree. The Colts've already spent enough - 2 first rounds, 1 second round and 2 third rounds and some later rounds picks - on their oline. That should be enough. If they keep spending picks on the oline, they will never build a decent defense (which lacks draft picks spent there big time).

Coach these players up. Find complementary pieces if necessary in later rounds. Or add a free agent if there's someone worth to bring in.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Brady has a super quick release. Luck or Brissett does not. The scheme you speak of works for a QB with a quick release but not for a QB like Luck.

This isn’t true according to sports science Luck has a .33 sec release same as Aaron Rodgers. He holds on to the ball waiting for routes to open up. We need to go back to west coast for Andrew.