stitches

Colts have signed TE Brandon Williams [Merge]

75 posts in this topic

Well, people wanted us to sign Brandon Williams and we signed A Brandon Williams, just not the one they wanted.

8 people like this

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Doesn't have many catches

Seems like a blocking TE/special teams player.

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Seems like a blocking TE/special teams player.

Yep. If blocking is all we want from this TE, that is all they will use him for if he ever sees the field on offense.

Colts add Brandon Williams to tight end mix

Posted by Josh Alper on March 20, 2017, 3:31 PM EDT
621683812-e1490038257293.jpg?w=250Getty Images

It’s been a busy offseason at tight end for the Colts.

They re-signed Jack Doyle and traded Dwayne Allen to the Patriots in a pair of early moves. Monday brought a new arrival to the group with the team’s announcement that they’ve signed Brandon Williams.

Williams served as the third tight end with the Seahawks last season and caught two passes for 36 yards. He had four catches for 44 yards in his first three NFL seasons, all of which came while he was with the Panthers in 2014, and has been a regular on special teams units.

Erik Swoope rounds out the Colts tight ends currently under contract. This year’s draft is thought to be strong at the position, so the Colts may make further additions to the group before the offseason is out.

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Bum city

But you have to give Ballard credit, he's consistent. haha

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

They re-signed Jack Doyle and traded Dwayne Allen to the Patriots in a pair of early moves. Monday brought a new arrival to the group with the team’s announcement that they’ve signed Brandon Williams.

Williams served as the third tight end with the Seahawks last season and caught two passes for 36 yards. He had four catches for 44 yards in his first three NFL seasons, all of which came while he was with the Panthers in 2014, and has been a regular on special teams units.

Erik Swoope rounds out the Colts tight ends currently under contract. This year’s draft is thought to be strong at the position, so the Colts may make further additions to the group before the offseason is out.

Well we definitely need more than 2 TEs.

1 person likes this

We'll have 90 players on the roster soon, they can't all be stars.  We need guys in camp who know how the NFL works, even if they're just considered 'camp bodies'.

I'm sure we'll bring in more guys like this, as well as a rookie or two, to try out for the TE positions. 

Good solid no frills signing.

5 people like this

18 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Merged

19 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Bum city

Come on man, there are going to be 90 guys on the roster pretty soon and not all of them are going to be up for all pro status.

You need camp bodies who know how the NFL works, that have actually played in games.  Can't have all rookies and UDFAs.

2 people like this

This signing is the first that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd much rather draft a TE later in the draft (rounds 5-7) in a loaded class than sign someone with hardly any production. 

48 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

The guy is JACKED. Hasn't played much in his career but hopefully he can turn into a monster TE for us.

Jacked Monster, Bro.

Epic, Dude.

4 people like this

43 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Come on man, there are going to be 90 guys on the roster pretty soon and not all of them are going to be up for all pro status.

You need camp bodies who know how the NFL works, that have actually played in games.  Can't have all rookies and UDFAs.

I am almost positive we will take a TE in the draft.  Why get upset over camp bodies.  I agree.

Ready for the draft and some waiver wire victims.  

5 people like this

31 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This signing is the first that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd much rather draft a TE later in the draft (rounds 5-7) in a loaded class than sign someone with hardly any production. 

Might just be a camp body to compete. You don't want to go into camp with just three TEs. Then there really isn't any competition. Everyone knows who is making the roster then. I believe last year we signed two TEs to compete with Doyel, Swoop, and Allen. We could still draft a TE in the later round draft or UDFA. If they don't preform better than Brandon Williams then we keep him and throw them on the practice squad. If they do better then we cut him. 

6 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Would still like to grab TE OJ Howard out of Alabama in the draft, though.

The only way they get Howard is if they take him at 15. And even so I doubt the brass is interested in doing that.

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

hes a blocking/sp team TE

It's correct. He'll be a blocker/ST. Unless Doyle and Swoope BOTH go down in a game, he'll never see a ball come his way. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

This signing has absolutely zero impact on whether or not Ballard & Company draft a TE.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

I am almost positive we will take a TE in the draft.  Why get upset over camp bodies.  I agree.

Ready for the draft and some waiver wire victims.  

I agree!  How is the back Brother?