Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign NT Al Woods (Merge)

stitches

10 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

All these little 2.5 Mil contracts could've been added up to one very good starter. I understand that you need the depth, but still. How many of these dudes are gonna make an impact for this team? 

That's what you have to do in year 1 with a team littered with gaping holes.  Think:  all these little 2.5 mil contracts for possible depth players, and we still have numerous huge sports to fill.

I like it.  Sign 8-10 very low risk reasonably priced free agents, almost all of whom are young and talented but who have underperformed thus far in their careers, to battle out with 9 draft picks.  Will be a huge infusion of talent based on what we've seen in the past.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the one time chapman made a big play, the refs blew it and said the runner wasnt touched

Is that the Cincy game?

If so, I'm not sure I have never been more * at a play in my life. Especially since the refs REVIEWED THE PLAY and STILL got in wrong. :flaming: Believe the ref was Jeff Triplette, of course.

All the emotions from that game are coming back to me. I can't even think about it, lol.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Meh.  The Saints cut him, if that tells you anything. 

He might have been cut because he doesn't fit what they are looking to do on defense though. I think they added him when they brought in Rob Ryan and were moving to a 3-4 scheme. They brought in Dennis Allen and switched back to 4-3 in 2015.

I don't know for sure if he was cut due to scheme fit or performance or both but thought the scheme fit was worth mentioning. He might not be a bad signing for the Colts.

50 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I am assuming it's a depth signing but I could be wrong.  None the less, welcome to the Colts Al!

50 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Hopefully as NT backup

Why has almost everyone Ballard has brought in been pegged as depth, JAG, or stop gaps? How good do you all think this roster really is?

David Parry is facing jail time possibly, Kerr is gone, & Art Jones stinks. 

Anyone signed to the defense has the chance to start. Really anyone signed to the offense can start as well cause far as I'm concerned, Luck & Hilton are the only locks I see on this entire roster. Maybe Vontae too

11 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

That's what you have to do in year 1 with a team littered with gaping holes.  Think:  all these little 2.5 mil contracts for possible depth players, and we still have numerous huge sports to fill.

I like it.  Sign 8-10 very low risk reasonably priced free agents, almost all of whom are young and talented but who have underperformed thus far in their careers, to battle out with 9 draft picks.  Will be a huge infusion of talent based on what we've seen in the past.

I get that but in these same threads you have people who would be all over signing a player like Poe for ~8 million but then think 10-11mil is somehow waaay too much and would handicrap us in the future. Well where could we get that extra couple million? These scrubs that we're signing for depth.

I'd rather have a legit starter for a good contract+a vet minimum guy than a couple of smaller contract guys that would be depth on other teams 

i think we are still in it for Poe, i just think this means Parry is likely to be cut, after he goes to court.

Which sucks, he was so promising his rookie year when Anderson was healthy, but kind of fell off when Anderson got injured, such is football though, someone should start a poll geussing how many of Grigs draft picks will be left by next season. Ill geuss 7, Luck, TY, Moncrief, Mewhort, Kelly, Geathers, Anderson.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

i think we are still in it for Poe, i just think this means Parry is likely to be cut, after he goes to court.

Which sucks, he was so promising his rookie year when Anderson was healthy, but kind of fell off when Anderson got injured, such is football though, someone should start a poll geussing how many of Grigs draft picks will be left by next season. Ill geuss 7, Luck, TY, Moncrief, Mewhort, Kelly, Geathers, Anderson.

If Moncrief & Mewhort continue their injury roads, especially Moncrief.... they may be out the door 

48 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

That's what you have to do in year 1 with a team littered with gaping holes.  Think:  all these little 2.5 mil contracts for possible depth players, and we still have numerous huge spots to fill.

That's the key.  Rebuilding this team is not a 6 day, or even, a one year job.  

33 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I get that but in these same threads you have people who would be all over signing a player like Poe for ~8 million but then think 10-11mil is somehow waaay too much and would handicrap us in the future. Well where could we get that extra couple million? These scrubs that we're signing for depth.

I'd rather have a legit starter for a good contract+a vet minimum guy than a couple of smaller contract guys that would be depth on other teams 

These guys that he's signing, for the most part, all played for top 5 or 10 units last year. I'll take 8-10 of those over 1 "big splash" signing any day of the week. They'll actually work their tails to get starting jobs because they know they're on short deals and some blue-chip draft picks are about to come in and compete right away. 

Why even bring him to visit if he's not worth 8 million dollars? Obviously the only way he wouldn't be is if he still has lingering health issues. But if he did then, again, why bring him to visit? 

You give a dude like Sheard 8 mil a year for multiple years yet you can't bring in Poe? 

This one will need further explaining from the brigade of those who will come to explain the logic

2 hours ago, MTC said:

Per Adam Schefter.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/842390052227448832

Wonder if this is this means we're out on Poe.

It means exactly that just saw he signed with Atlanta 1 year worth 8 million that makes me very angry he only got 8 million we could have had him sunday Al Woods isn't worth 1 dollar an hour.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Signing Antonio Johnson from the Titans' PS worked out for us for a few years in the past. Maybe this one works out at least for a backup spot. :) 

Johnson was terrible.
 Woods it appears can actually stuff the run a bit so that is an upgrade to Parry.
 And he can actually impose his length in the passing game at 6"4" and 36" arms, again Parry offered
 No Effect in that area. A nice upgrade.

21 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Holy moly. I just looked up his 2010 workout numbers. 37 inch vertical at 309 lbs!

I like this signing purely because we are completely baron at NT, I imagine he'll be a rotational piece and/or competition/depth guy. 

Baron at NT?

Baron.jpg

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Johnson was terrible.
 Woods it appears can actually stuff the run a bit so that is an upgrade to Parry.
 And he can actually impose his length in the passing game at 6"4" and 36" arms, again Parry offered
 No Effect in that area. A nice upgrade.

In the 4-3 Johnson was good it was the 3-4 where he sucked.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Why has almost everyone Ballard has brought in been pegged as depth, JAG, or stop gaps? How good do you all think this roster really is?

David Parry is facing jail time possibly, Kerr is gone, & Art Jones stinks. 

Anyone signed to the defense has the chance to start. Really anyone signed to the offense can start as well cause far as I'm concerned, Luck & Hilton are the only locks I see on this entire roster. Maybe Vontae too

What about McGill?  Or Ridgeway?  Jones and Parry are both still very much on the team as of right now.  I am not saying the dude can't start but it's not like we don't have anyone else at that position on the roster. I guess what I am saying is, I highly doubt he was signed to be a full time starter, I could be wrong though.

No Poe, so Woods/Jenkins would be okay as a duo to try to come in and give us some solid play. Jenkins seems like he was cut from NO due to not being a fit in their scheme, but he seems ideal size wise to be a 3-4 NT. So hopefully he can come in and between the two of them give us a higher level of play than what Parry gave us.

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

How about d not being rebuilt for decades now.

Not sure what that means.  

Were you expecting Ballard to build a defense in free agency in a week, something Grigson couldn't do in 5 years?  Something Polian couldn't do in 14 years?  If 5 years from now we still have the 32 ranked secondary and the 31st rated front seven, get back to me.  As of now, it's six days.

2 yrs 5mill?  Why does Grigson keep signing other teams castoffs?  He should have signed Poe.  We waited too long and now the Falcons got him had Grigson is left with having to take scrubs.  Doesn't he know that we have plenty of salary cap to spend and lots of holes on the defense?

Grigson needs to go!!!

45 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

What about McGill?  Or Ridgeway?  Jones and Parry are both still very much on the team as of right now.  I am not saying the dude can't start but it's not like we don't have anyone else at that position on the roster. I guess what I am saying is, I highly doubt he was signed to be a full time starter, I could be wrong though.

What about McGill & Ridgeway? Are we just supposed to hand them the starting job just because they played a few good games last season? That's how you end up with lazy players & unproductive players

Ballard is creating competition on this roster. No one is safe except #12 & #13. 

If you're a starter, would you feel more inclined to play well & excel when

1. You're handed the job and you know the guy behind you has no chance to take it from you. 

Or 

2. When you've earned the starting job by beating out the other guy in camp but you know if you slip up, he's gonna take the job from you.

Which scenario would you be more inclined to play better in?