Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans making Gore first priority

Lawrence Owen

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-hope-improved-run-defense-shows-up-against-10784066.php?t=a3d774fd5a438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

The lowdown on the Texa's based article is that Gore, NOT Luck, is their #1 priortity come Sunday.

Never mind how good Luck has looked over his past 3 games, It still in thier head the Indy broke that 55 game streak without a 100 yard rusher against them.

I know that stopping the run is important, makes a team 1 dimintional and limits how good the play-action works, but 'Frank-ly', setting the edge against him is not as important as with outher Rb's in the league.  Gore goes to his assigned hole, finds the crease, and just plunges through for everything his hard churning legs get him.

If Gore averages 3 ypc, he has done his job.  It makes them continue to play the run knowing playing otherwise would give him another yard or two, and that would come back to the week 6 outcome.

.......On a side note, I wonder how many times they have practiced against the wildcat being Gore has accepted direct snaps a few times this year? 

Easier said than done.   They'll need to have more than 7 in the box to do that which will expose a secondary that will probably consist of AJ Bouye, Kareem Jackson and somebody other than Jonathan Joseph who is hurt to defend Moncrief, Dorsett, Hilton and all the rest of the boys.   Catch 22 situation for them.  If they play the run with 7 we should have some success.  To me it's possible the Texans may do an even worse or at least equal job stopping the run as last time. Directly related to the pressure that will be put on the depleted secondary to defend the WRS.

3 hours ago, will426 said:

I'm worried about the OLINE tbh  Ac I think might be bull rushed to death by clowney like last game and mercilus destroyed haeg and  I'm sure he can handle reitz 

Defensively, this is my worry.

The Texans Defensive front manhandled our o-line last time, especially the edges.

I would expect Allen and Doyle to be primarily doing a lot of holding back to help, or at least major chipping before going out for a safety valve route.

4 hours ago, Archangel said:

IMOP The colts might want to play a short game this week so the texan D-line cannot get to him. But this remains to be seen, need a few screens a couple of slants a few draws 2 TE sets. Need a few pitches to the outside this can also help.  

I think that this would be a good way to start out and build a rhythm, as well as feel out their pass rush this time around. Clowney is banged up, so hopefully he won't be as much of a threat as last time and hopefully Haeg and Reitz can hold down the other side. If our Oline plays anywhere near how they did against the stout Jets' Dline, we'll be fine.

17 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Defensively, this is my worry.

The Texans Defensive front manhandled our o-line last time, especially the edges.

I would expect Allen and Doyle to be primarily doing a lot of holding back to help, or at least major chipping before going out for a safety valve route.

See we know what our offense should do to neutralize the pass rush the thing is they're too stupid at times to chip lol I forget which game it was but the olb kept thrashing haeg but they left him 1 on 1 I believe he's on the Titans 

I'd be perfectly fine if we reversed the usual practice and used the Pass to set-up the Run.

I'd be fine if we threw 10-12 passes in the 1st quarter (if possible)....    all short, quck stuff,  pass plays of 5-15 yards on 3 to 5-step drops.      Get the ball out of Luck's hands ASAP.

And I'd send receivers in motion every down....    no doubt the Texans will try to jam our receivers with tight coverage.    OK,  send them in motion to get easier releases.

Of course,  this only works if we're completing a high percentage, like 8-10 of these passes.

Once we forced the ILB's and Safeties to back up a bit,   THEN, we can gash them up the middle with Gore.

Gore is going to be a horse tomorrow,  and I look forward to riding him.    But the person who makes all of this go, of course, is Andrew.       Another HOT game from him and we'll all be happy about 4p your time, 1p my time!