Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steve Young Hammers Grigson On Pre-game Show

King Colt

Steve Young who happens to be very smart drew and quartered Grigson for having little idea on how to build this team and everyone else on the panel nodded in agreement. I know this is an old topic but the way Young pulled no punches he all but declared Grigson a blithering * and Luck will pay the price and already is. Thank you Steve Young.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, IcyRhythms said:

I think the key here is JETS...

The Jets are nobody

Well we've played lesser quality teams with Peyton Manning and Polian and lost so I'm excited to see a 31 point blow out. 

As another poster said, we all can only hope Griggs has learned from past mistakes and get things corrected for the future. We will find out. Still have to find a run game. 

26 minutes ago, IcyRhythms said:

The Jets are nobody

Hey they are better than the Jags and the Colts found a way to lose to the Jags...

just saying be happy the Colts played up to pointental tonight because most of the time they don't regardless of who they are playing.

The win was amazing (especially being there live) but It did nothing to change my stance on Grigson. I agree with Young. But the Colts OL didn't get Luck slaughtered against a top notch defensive line. But man could I not help but think how badly the Colts need a franchise RB. If he hadn't missed on guys like Leveon Bell, D. Johnson,etc...the Colts might be winning their division.

31 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Whoopdy doo we beat one of the worse teams in football this season

Must enjoy life when you can't even enjoy a blowout win on the road regardless of the team played. That defense they have has a stout dline,  a HOF cb (albeit a shell of himself) and one of the best pass catching rushers and we blew them out. Enjoy a win that wasn't ever in question for a change.

7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Must enjoy life when you can't even enjoy a blowout win on the road regardless of the team played. That defense they have has a stout dline,  a HOF cb (albeit a shell of himself) and one of the best pass catching rushers and we blew them out. Enjoy a win that wasn't ever in question for a change.

but... but... must find negative lining & then proceed to gripe about it

7 hours ago, IcyRhythms said:

The Jets are nobody

There are some who will always find a dark cloud in every silver lining. I've been waiting for some "expert" recognized the fact that the Colts have been hampered by injuries all year and as a result, have not played as well as they could. I know the mantra has always been "next man up" but starters are starters for a reason. I was particularly pleased with the play of the o line and the players that Grigson acquired. Let's hope they can stay healthy and keep playing like they did last night, no matter who they play.

Talking heads need to fill air time.  There are a bunch of heads and a bunch of air so a lot of talking has to take place.  In many cases, it results in a popular trendy narrative that gets repeated over and over.  Then other heads nod.

Pick almost any issue, not even sports related.  It happens a lot since we have replaced entertainment shows with talk shows.

one thing to consider is that Grigson is still a young GM and has made his fair share of mistakes, but he's also had his fair share of hits too, If he can put together another draft like this past one and even the year before that then they'll be good to go. I'm really thinking he's learned from his mistakes but only time will tell.

17 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

one thing to consider is that Grigson is still a young GM and has made his fair share of mistakes, but he's also had his fair share of hits too, If he can put together another draft like this past one and even the year before that then they'll be good to go. I'm really thinking he's learned from his mistakes but only time will tell.

Do we sit and wait while Luck loses his prime?

4 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

--> grigson sucks, colts o-line sucks <-- lazy media

You sound like Donald Trump.  When stuff is accurate and you don't change it and the media keeps harping on it, it doesn't make the media lazy.  It makes you lazy for not being able to change the narrative and move past a fault or hole or whatever that's been plaguing you.  Blaming the media for something you never fix is classic politician speak and that's exactly what you (and Grigson when he was questioned) did here.

Lazy media is when they recycle narrative that is no longer valid or that has been addressed but they were too lazy to notice or care.  Lazy media would be the Colts only have Andrew Luck and no weapons.  That's lazy.  The Colts not being able to protect Luck is not lazy.

7 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Do we sit and wait while Luck loses his prime?

Absolutely not!  Let's bring in someone else who can do just as poorly if not worse.  That way we can take another 3-5 years to bring in different playets and move to a completely different scheme.

I'm a nobody, but I agree with PeterBowman that Grigs is trending up.  At this point i think he deserves a chancre to continue to grow in the job.  Just my opinion, of course.

11 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

And then the Colts went out and destroyed the Jets. 

Yes, they did destroy a 3 win team who looked completely disinterested from the opening kick.  Of course, if they lose this week, they're back to sub .500 in the worst division in football and their season will be over, so we should probably hold off on the celebrations for a week.  

Regardless of if they stay in this playoff race or not, Steve Young is not wrong.  Outside the QB, this is one of the worst rosters in the league.  

5 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

Whoopdy doo we beat one of the worse teams in football this season

This is exactly how I feel when folks celebrate 50 years of winning the AFC South division. Lets celebrate making a deeper run in the playoffs. AFC Championship game at least, Final 4. That's the signs of greatness. No one remembers who won the AFC EAST or NFC WEST. Does it really matter at the end of the season. Sure, lets call up the Indy Colts and give them participation awards for winning a sorry division for the 50th year in a row (sarcasm). I believe the AFC South Division title should come with the territory when aiming for the CHIP! (shrugs) 

3 hours ago, tikyle said:

You sound like Donald Trump.  When stuff is accurate and you don't change it and the media keeps harping on it, it doesn't make the media lazy.  It makes you lazy for not being able to change the narrative and move past a fault or hole or whatever that's been plaguing you.  Blaming the media for something you never fix is classic politician speak and that's exactly what you (and Grigson when he was questioned) did here.

Lazy media is when they recycle narrative that is no longer valid or that has been addressed but they were too lazy to notice or care.  Lazy media would be the Colts only have Andrew Luck and no weapons.  That's lazy.  The Colts not being able to protect Luck is not lazy.

You sound silly. I suppose, to you, spending 4 draft picks last year on OL isn't addressing the problem? We're still feeling the effects of Grigs' poor OL acquisitions in the past, as rookie O Linemen take time to develop. I'd say Kelly is a HUGE upgrade over every C we've had since Saturday and Haeg looks like he's becoming a very solid, versatile G/T.

Nice try though.

17 minutes ago, Shive said:

You sound silly. I suppose, to you, spending 4 draft picks last year on OL isn't addressing the problem? We're still feeling the effects of Grigs' poor OL acquisitions in the past, as rookie O Linemen take time to develop. I'd say Kelly is a HUGE upgrade over every C we've had since Saturday and Haeg looks like he's becoming a very solid, versatile G/T.

Nice try though.

In a sense, I agree.

Grigson did address the problem when he was forced to instead of staying ahead of the game. He thought he could get by with Satele, Justice (insert other middle of the road names here). Winning came earlier than expected, and the winning masked serious deficiencies on the OL front. Finally, it has dawned on him that the draft is the way to offset Luck's contract. Like I said, his thought process was forced upon based on Luck's contract and if we had drafted better for OL and defense in 2012 and 2013, we'd be seeing the results now. Instead, we were placing band aids constantly with mid-tier free agents and pickups, and missing on draft picks.

Just wish he did not have to learn at the expense of the key rookie years of Luck when we could have added better talent and developed them by now.

19 minutes ago, Shive said:

Nice try though.

Firing a missile to kill a rat (that you missed BTW) is overkill and it still didn't address the problem.  As I said before you (or whoever made the first comment) sound like a politician.  So throwing a bunch of money (draft picks) at a problem without having a working strategy is not addressing the problem and it's not lazy media pointing out it isn't working.

Grigson spent early draft picks on guys named Khaled Holmes and Hugh Thornton also.

Riddle me this @chad72 when Matt Millen was the Lions GM, did he address the problem of #1 WR by drafting 1st round receivers over and over, or did he address the problem by finally drafting Calvin Johnson?  I'll eager be waiting for you answer.

Lions' first-round picks under Matt Millen
Year Position Player College Notes
2008 OT Gosder Cherilus* Boston College Zero starts in three games
2007 WR Calvin Johnson* Georgia Tech six touchdowns in 13 career starts
2006 LB Ernie Sims* Florida State 1.5 sacks in 35 career starts
2005 WR Mike Williams* Southern California two touchdowns in six starts for Lions
2004 WR Roy Williams* Texas 29 touchdowns in 54 career starts, Pro Bowl in 2006
2004 RB Kevin Jones* Virginia Tech 27 touchdowns in 49 starts for Lions
2003 WR Charles Rogers* Michigan State four touchdowns in nine career starts
2002 QB Joey Harrington* Oregon 62 interceptions in 55 starts for Lions
2001 OT Jeff Backus* Michigan started all 115 games of the Matt Millen era
* No longer with team    

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Absolutely not!  Let's bring in someone else who can do just as poorly if not worse.  That way we can take another 3-5 years to bring in different playets and move to a completely different scheme.

I'm a nobody, but I agree with PeterBowman that Grigs is trending up.  At this point i think he deserves a chancre to continue to grow in the job.  Just my opinion, of course.

Normally, I would agree with, except Grigson isn't a normal GM.  Grigson was a scout before coming a GM, instead of a FO person.  I give you, that he did not know the money part, but knew what to look for in prospects.

The question becomes, why draft players or get FAs and UDFAs that don't fit the team schemes.  That is where Grigson failed and will continue to fail.  The square peg into the round hole most of the time does not work.