Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Adonai Mitchell WR Texas (Merged)

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Funny thing about this pick is the fact that fans WANTED this guy, so they are willing to overlook the diabetic part - whereas yesterday Latu was projected to be gone by 15 so he was on nobody's radar, so they lashed out in anger about his misdiagnosed injury history........why, because he wasn't who THEY wanted! 

Hypocrites....

Well for the record, the injury history worries me on Latu just as much as the diabetes worries me about Mitchell.  

that said. I really didn’t have anyone in particular I wanted drafted this year. This WR class was so deep after the first 3 fell, I’d been okay with most anyone at that position. 

as for Latu, I have spent the day watching every clip I can find and I’m loving the talent, the skill and the MOTOR. The injury to his neck tempers that for me a lot but I can get over it.

as for Mitchell, I’m okay with it. Not totally loving it yet as my worry is can he learn to manage the unfortunate disease he has? 

1 hour ago, James said:

He seems to have what some people refer to as “dawg mentality”.

Will be an interesting camp opposite of another dawg in MPJr

55 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Love the pick.

Every team needs at least ONE prima donna who is cocky and can make plays. Imagine if the Seattle Supersonics never had Gary Payton? Or if the Milwaukee Bucks never had Sam Cassell?

Reggie Miller for the Pacers…. What was it, 11 points, 8 seconds all while grabbing his crouch in front of Spike Lee?

34 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A motivated “dawg” is a dangerous one if he feels you have his back… dangerous to everyone else

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holy cow

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Shane’s passion running off on Ballard? Ive never seen him like this the last two nights. I don’t think his seats hot but im wondering if he is sick of his name being ran through the mud. Either way, go Ballard 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Warning some language lol

Wow if I’m Mitchell right now, I’m going to war for Ballard and the colts just off those 20 seconds right there. Obviously Ballard doesn’t agree with the digs on Mitchell and Mitchell didn’t like falling that far… I was OK with this pick, now I’m totally on board and I’m hoping this kid channels that and blows every DB in the league out of their shoes

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is growing out the hair and having a midlife crisis lol.

I absolutely love the mullet! I have a fro on my head and my nickname was screech (from saved by the bell) at school.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

As a 30 years Austin-Longhorn fan, I watched all of Adonai and Worthy games. I prefer Adonai over Worthy.  Worthy is the flashy speedster but his pass catching is questionable. Quinn Ewers is no NFL QB with an average arm.  Adonai will be pleasantly surprised how much fun he is going to have playing with Anthony Richardson and coached by Reggie Wayne. He has size, the speed and route running to fit Steichen's game plan.

That sounds exciting to me I'm looking forward to seeing him on Sunday's with my season tickets. 

You can't be upset at the talent at all...talent wise he would have been a good pick at 15. We aren't in the interviews, so who knows, but Ballard seems adamant that its all nonsense. Cool, hope he is right.

This is where coaches are paid to coach, if Reggie and Steichen earn their money, AD has the talent to be a true number 1 receiver, and make our receiving corps complete. Hope they can do it.

• Like 2

One other thing I take as a big positive is that one of the criticisms of AD was that he got a pretty low amount of targets...in the context of, why is such an insanely talented WR getting so few targets in college?

The positive I am choosing to take from here is that there are no reports of him complaining about the lack of targets, no WR diva stuff from what I have seen. I expect if he lives up to his massive talent, that won't be something that comes up in the pros.

45 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wow if I’m Mitchell right now, I’m going to war for Ballard and the colts just off those 20 seconds right there. Obviously Ballard doesn’t agree with the digs on Mitchell and Mitchell didn’t like falling that far… I was OK with this pick, now I’m totally on board and I’m hoping this kid channels that and blows every DB in the league out of their shoes

And to think - we all believe an OLine coach was fired for cursing…

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pkbrux said:

One other thing I take as a big positive is that one of the criticisms of AD was that he got a pretty low amount of targets...in the context of, why is such an insanely talented WR getting so few targets in college?

The positive I am choosing to take from here is that there are no reports of him complaining about the lack of targets, no WR diva stuff from what I have seen. I expect if he lives up to his massive talent, that won't be something that comes up in the pros.

I’m happy for him and his daughter! I hope he realizes that Indy is a really good place to raise a family(well parts of it atleast)! It’s Not Austin, Texas, but still a good place to have a long-term career.

Now the Colts Need to go into day 3 looking for much more help in the secondary! Not to sure I liked the early OL pick with good DBs still on the board…Wondering if there’s something wrong with TJ Tampa since he is falling!? Ballard needs to kill it tommorrow! Also would like Audric Estime for the #2rb slot!

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

He’s got a chip on his shoulder, that’s for sure. He was most definitely not happy to fall into round 2. But I hope he balls out for us. 

And then keep falling.  He was pretty much the last of the major WRs expected to go in rounds one or two.

55 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Loving Ballard’s new image and attitude!  Hell ya!

He’s done this before in terms of getting upset and showing attitude, it just so happens to be that most of the other things were things fans didn’t agree with him on like when he insisted he had no problem spending money so it was over looked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have a problem with Ballard going to bat for his guys, or any young player, and I mostly agree with what he said. I'm also glad he said it.

However, AD Mitchell had a sloppy Combine, and said some things in his presser that could be interpreted as him not giving full effort every down (I think the comments were innocuous). I think it would have been good for Ballard to address some of those things, or for the questions to get more specific about some of the concerns. Including the diabetes.

The questions they asked AD tonight were, mostly, garbage. Four or five different versions of 'are you mad you didn't get drafted sooner' that were all met with the same energy from AD. Sometimes this group of reporters is like a dog with a bone, just won't let go of a certain angle. Asked and answered, let's move on guys.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Guys he’s being compared too include Chalk and Paris Campbell in terms of the type of player he will be in the NFL.  Should push Pierce for sure.

Really? I haven't seen those comparisons, and if that is happening, I do not agree with them at all. Especially Campbell, who was a clear slot guy right from the start, whereas Mitchell is a a clear X with the potential to be a number 1 receiver as an X. 

2 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

He has access to a nutritionist, dietitian, some of the NFLs best doctors. He’s going to be just fine.

I love what Ballard had done. However, it's not going to be that easy . This guy has all the talent to be legit. He has been to two teams and the same theme keeps reoccurring. He was most likely supported by nutritionists in his last two stops in college. For some reason, he failed to do, what seemed to be  a simple task, to take care of his health. He appeared to continue to bomb the interview process. All world talent inside a very immature body. Here is hoping that he can become what the Colts drafted him to be. 

21 minutes ago, pkbrux said:

Really? I haven't seen those comparisons, and if that is happening, I do not agree with them at all. Especially Campbell, who was a clear slot guy right from the start, whereas Mitchell is a a clear X with the potential to be a number 1 receiver as an X. 

I am guessing it was athletic comparison.

27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I love what Ballard had done. However, it's not going to be that easy . This guy has all the talent to be legit. He has been to two teams and the same theme keeps reoccurring. He was most likely supported by nutritionists in his last two stops in college. For some reason, he failed to do, what seemed to be  a simple task, to take care of his health. He appeared to continue to bomb the interview process. All world talent inside a very immature body. Here is hoping that he can become what the Colts drafted him to be. 

I agree with this and well said. It’s not too much to ask that he appear interested and engaged in the interview process. He turned teams off and it cost him. Regarding Ballard, I am clearly in the minority but I think it’s a bad look and unprofessional for an NFL executive, the man representing the franchise, to drop curse words and then half-way apologize and then keep swearing as if he just couldn’t control it. Also, Ballard doesn’t really know Mitchell, he hasn’t spent enough time with him over any lengthy period to where he can know he’s a “good kid.” I am really excited for the pick and we were fired up at my house when Mitchell’s name was called. I just think the Ballard stuff was embarrassing and nothing but theater. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Warning some language lol

This is reminiscent of his defense of CJ Stroud last year. Let's hope AD has similar success and similarly proves people wrong.

It’s cool that Shane and Reggie were demanding AD Mitchell. I trust both of them in evaluating talent. They were really high on Josh Downs and that worked out really well. Shane and Reggie were both at the Texas pro day so they know who their getting.

Love this pick. It been a long time since I’ve been this excited to see our offense for later in the year.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pkbrux said:

FWIW:   while he’s likely got more X-traits than any other position, Ballard said Adonai can play any WR position, that he’s got those kind of high level athletic gifts. 

6 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

And to think - we all believe an OLine coach was fired for cursing…

No.  We don’t all believe that.  The OL coach that got let go after doing a very nice job in 2018 was fired for all the same reasons he got let go HIS ENTIRE CAREER.  

(His name is Dave DeGuglielmo)

But DD (Coach Gugs) has a roughly 20-25 year track record of being at most jobs for 1-2 years.  And he had been let go by all the jobs.   He doesn’t work well within the structure of a coaching staff.  And that includes, by the way, a 2-year stop with the Patriots and Belichick.    Colts Players spoke highly of the Coach.  By all accounts he did a good job.   So he clearly had issues working within the structure if a coaching staff if he’s being let go everywhere he’s been.  Swearing is not why he got fired.  The work of football on both the college and pro level is filled with cursing.   Doubt I ever attended a practice where I didn’t hear curse words.   High Scholl, sure.  Little to no coaching, at least not in front of media.    But college and Pro, heck yeah.   That’s not why Frank fired him. 

Note:   I just double checked his coaching tesume.  He’s 55 years old.   Started coaching in 1991.  He has 16 different jobs in 33 years.   He has four NFL stops starting around the 2000’s where his jobs last 3-4 years.  Otherwise all the other jobs are a mix of both pro and college.   His last two years?   2023 he was out of football altogether.  And this year he’s coaching Birmingham of the XFL.  

He’s not getting fired for cursing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

This is reminiscent of his defense of CJ Stroud last year. Let's hope AD has similar success and similarly proves people wrong.

So the kid has flaws and has been called out publicly. 

It's actually doing our Colts a big favor. Mitchell has to prov'em wrong.

Ballard gets to support him publicly but also look him in the eye.

It's comical reading that Steichen and Reggie wanted him so much and Ballard passed on this #1 4.3s gold for a couple lousy 5's. 

• Like 2