Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Adonai Mitchell WR Texas (Merged)

On 5/2/2024 at 2:25 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Pierce and AD will be on the field  together more  than people think. If nothing else, they are going to clear out the safeties for AD and JT. Have them running deep routes and the inside will be open for Pittman and for JT to run crazy once he gets to the 2nd level. AR can take off for some runs and it is going to force the safeties to have to play up and then boom!!

Let’s hope not.  Downs is superior to Pierce.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2024 at 2:25 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Pierce and AD will be on the field  together more  than people think. If nothing else, they are going to clear out the safeties for AD and JT. Have them running deep routes and the inside will be open for Pittman and for JT to run crazy once he gets to the 2nd level. AR can take off for some runs and it is going to force the safeties to have to play up and then boom!!

I hope not.  Both AD and Pierce need to develop their route trees, Pierce more than AD atm.  I do think we will see more 5 WR sets in that opponent's 30yd to red zone area.  But other than that, Pitt-Downs-Ad/Pierce should be the trio on the field until either AD or Pierce separates from the other.

Having AD and Pierce on the field trying to clear out the safeties will leave the linebackers to feast.  The LBs will shade AD and Pierce and hand them off to the corners and safties and then sit.  At least I think that’s how it’d go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I hope not.  Both AD and Pierce need to develop their route trees, Pierce more than AD atm.  I do think we will see more 5 WR sets in that opponent's 30yd to red zone area.  But other than that, Pitt-Downs-Ad/Pierce should be the trio on the field until either AD or Pierce separates from the other.

Having AD and Pierce on the field trying to clear out the safeties will leave the linebackers to feast.  The LBs will shade AD and Pierce and hand them off to the corners and safties and then sit.  At least I think that’s how it’d go.

When we force the D to play cover 2, which should happen a lot, the LB's will be toast against the run and the short passing game. We ARE going to be very good moving the ball. Touchdowns or FG's?  11-6 or 8-9?

• Like 3

On 5/2/2024 at 8:32 AM, krunk said:

Im not certain if there will even be any room for Pierce bc the 4th and 5th receivers need to have special teams ability. I think AD will show enough to gain the Colts confidence. You know Dulin will be there. So from there you're competing with Gould and whoever else. You know Gould plays special teams.  Going to be interesting what they have in mind.

I think having AD on the team will help Pierce. Pierce has great upside but last year Minshew was inaccurate and missed wide open WR's With Richardson it should be much better for all of our WR's 

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

When we force the D to play cover 2, which should happen a lot, the LB's will be toast against the run and the short passing game. We ARE going to be very good moving the ball. Touchdowns or FG's?  11-6 or 8-9?

I can see that also, just keeping my expectations in check.  Even though we believe AR can be that guy, he’s not that guy…yet.   If everything goes well and he’s out there looking like the front runner to win mvp or CBPOTY, then I’m right with you.  But right now, we have a 2nd year qb who has 17 starts to his name and 13 of those are in college.  AR and the receivers will have to make defenses respect the passing game.  Not only defenses, but we as fans also.

• Like 3

Having AR as a running threat would make any RB better but the fact we have A elite running back is going to be crazy. They won’t be able to bring the safeties up or Richardson will kill them with his arm.  There is going to be so much room to run the ball or wide open pass catchers. This offense will be much more spread out.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Nate! said:

Let’s hope not.  Downs is superior to Pierce.  

Pittmans snap count should go down some. Over the long season it will be good for him. Then it's Downs, TE, running game. And still the deep ball.

Steichen and Jim Bob are salivating.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Pittmans snap count should go down some. Over the long season it will be good for him. Then it's Downs, TE, running game. And still the deep ball.

Steichen and Jim Bob are salivating.

Pierce had most snaps as a WR in the league and Pittman was fourth. Hopefully fewer snaps will keep them fresher. They are both great blockers so the other guys are going to have to show the ability to block to win those snaps.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I think having AD on the team will help Pierce. Pierce has great upside but last year Minshew was inaccurate and missed wide open WR's With Richardson it should be much better for all of our WR's 

Amazing how MPJ had a season that helped him solidify a huge bag and Downs had a really good rookie season that has everyone excited for next season, yet Minshew is somehow responsible for holding back Pierce.

Pierce is not an elite athlete (at least by NFL WR standards). He's not a good route runner. He doesn't win his routes often (#124 in the NFL last year in route win rate). He struggles to separate. What about AP says "great upside"? 

With the Colts drafting a WR in R2 who can offer a similar skillset...and likely more...the writing is on the wall that they are looking for more upside than just effort and blocking at WR2.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Amazing how MPJ had a season that helped him solidify a huge bag and Downs had a really good rookie season that has everyone excited for next season, yet Minshew is somehow responsible for holding back Pierce.

Pierce is not an elite athlete (at least by NFL WR standards). He's not a good route runner. He doesn't win his routes often (#124 in the NFL last year in route win rate). He struggles to separate. What about AP says "great upside"? 

With the Colts drafting a WR in R2 who can offer a similar skillset...and likely more...the writing is on the wall that they are looking for more upside than just effort and blocking at WR2.  

Pierce wasn't  the best route runner , but Pierce was good at getting  open deep, but the deep ball wasn't  really minshew game that is why people  say Pierce was held back by minshew arm.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, shasta519 said:

This is footage from just one game. The big game he had against the Titans.

And this isn't about the catches he made that game. It's the missed opportunities of what could of been. Find time to watch this, worth it, well if you care to see how open he usually is. Not just deep either.

This is just one game, it is like this every game.(Maybe not to this extreme, this is bad)

This clip, shows just how open Pierce usually is and how Minshew held him back, as well as the whole team.

Pittman and Downs were short options, and easier for Minshew to get the ball out to, that's why it didn't effect them(negatively). It actually benefited them.

Not to worried about it, now the team is just even more explosive.

AR

JT

Pittman

Pierce 

Downs 

Mitchell 

On the field at the same time in some formations. I'm here for it. Can you imagine the running lanes JT would have? Hate to be these defenses and have to face this offense, with this OL.

Then able to add a 4-5 deep TE room to it. Another 4.38, 4.43 WR to the mix(Gould, Dulin)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

:gym:

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

This is footage from just one game. The big game be had against the Titans.

And this isn't about the catches he made that game. It's the missed opportunities of what could of been. Find time to watch this, worth it, well if you care to see how open he usually is. Not just deep either.

This is just one game, it is like this every game.(Maybe not to this extreme, this is bad)

This clip, shows just how open Pierce usually is and how Minshew held him back, as well as the whole team.

Pittman and Downs were short options, and easier for Minshew to get the ball out to, that's why it didn't effect them(negatively). It actually benefited them.

AR

JT

Pittman

Pierce 

Downs 

Mitchell 

On the field at the same time in some formations. I'm here for it. Can you imagine the running lanes JT would have? Hate to be these defenses and have to face this offense, with this OL.

Then able to add a 4-5 deep TE room to it. Another 4.38, 4.43 WR to the mix(Gould, Dulin)

You will held to account for your positivity, sir.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

AR

JT

Pittman

Pierce 

Downs 

Mitchell 

Wow!  This could be a really big year.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Let’s wait and see, I’ll take AR and you can have Gardner 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, w87r said:

AR

JT

Pittman

Pierce 

Downs 

Mitchell 

If pierce improves  and Mitchell  is the real deal we would have 4 dogs at wr.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shasta519 said:

What about AP says great upside?   I think you know the answer.   For all his flaws Pierce averages 15.0 yards per catch.  That’s a very good number and you know it.    

Im not saying Pierce will be WR2.  Mitchell and Downs will quickly pass him.  But it does say upside or room for improvement, however you want to put it.   

Note:  For comparison, Pittman averages 10.9 ypc in his career.  Pierce is 15.3.   His first year 14.5 and his second year 16.1.  That’s a nice improvement.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

What about AP says great upside?   I think you know the answer.   For all his flaws Pierce averages 15.0 yards per catch.  That’s a very good number and you know it.    

Im not saying Pierce will be WR2.  Mitchell and Downs will quickly pass him.  But it does say upside or room for improvement, however you want to put it.   

Note:  For comparison, Pittman averages 10.9 ypc in his career.  Pierce is 15.3.   His first year 14.5 and his second year 16.1.  That’s a nice improvement.  

Pierce’s stats are not good.  Sixty-three targets last season.  Even if a QB is bad, they generally will at least throw it in the direction of someone getting open (targets are earned).  Was at 3 or less targets in nine games.  His yards per catch just doesn’t do much for me. 

Did Minshew not connect on explosive plays.  Absolutely.  So Pierce could’ve had a better year with Richardson for sure, but don’t think that changes

that Pierce is more a 4th or 5th pass catcher than a 1-3.   Hope im wrong!  Would loved all the Colts pass catchers to be awesome.  Pittman is real good, Downs showed more than Pierce has.  AD has the potential

to surpass all of he hits his ceiling.  His floor is low though so definitely has bust in the range of outcomes

One stat I need to find for Pierce is how long it was taking him to get open.  Because he could be getting open.  From what I see he is.  But how long is it taking for him to get open.  Because if it takes him 3-5 seconds to get open, he’s not going to get the ball, even with AR.

if it isn’t a scramble drill or planned rollout, most qbs after 3-5 seconds are looking for their second or third read.

I think him having AR will be good for him.  But will it be good enough to make him WR2?  That I don’t know.  My eyes tell me he doesn’t have the burner speed to be a consistent deep threat, unless something else on the field is helping him.

I said in another thread, I can see AP being utilized in the red zone and running plays.  But I honestly think AD is our WR2.  He can just do more without needing a QB.  ADs highlights have a lot of underthrown balls that would’ve been TDs.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

Pierce wasn't  the best route runner , but Pierce was good at getting  open deep, but the deep ball wasn't  really minshew game that is why people  say Pierce was held back by minshew arm.

I have seen those clips, but are there any metrics that support his win route downfield?

I suppose if it is common knowledge that Minshew's arm was holding AP back, then other teams might have just been letting him run wind sprints out there. 

AR's arm could shift that attention back to AP, which could help spread out the offense overall. But to date, and based on what we have seen in the NFL, I don't know how people can be so bullish on him. Even in the cup of coffee he had with AR at QB, he had one play downfield, where the DB fell down.

57 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I have seen those clips, but are there any metrics that support his win route downfield?

I suppose if it is common knowledge that Minshew's arm was holding AP back, then other teams might have just been letting him run wind sprints out there. 

AR's arm could shift that attention back to AP, which could help spread out the offense overall. But to date, and based on what we have seen in the NFL, I don't know how people can be so bullish on him. Even in the cup of coffee he had with AR at QB, he had one play downfield, where the DB fell down.

To be fair stiechen didn't  take as many shots with Richardson  downfield early on. Just when he started to open offense  up more Richardson  got hurt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

These are the Reception Perception charting numbers for Mitchell:

GLOUE_TWUAAGobU?format=jpg&name=largeGLOUFABWcAAIC_R?format=jpg&name=large

They also have him charted in the 83-85th percentile against man and against press coverage. 

edit: I just realized you asked for Pierce. Sorry... don't have those numbers. 

edit 2: found this on Pierce as a prospect: 

• Like 3

Jim Bob and Steichen has a ton of opportunities to design mismatches because the RPO with AR and JT is a nightmare for any DC.  AR is the one player that no other NFL team has been able to recreate. 

I watched the Kansas St.-Texas game from 2023 today and Mitchell was outstanding in that one. One long td(47 yards), another long reception(37 yards) and he had excellent blocks on CJ Baxters' 47 yard td run and two other excellent blocks that sprung runners for huge gains. If you had only watched the first half of that game while scouting Mitchell and saw nothing else you would have taken him in the top 10. That is how impressive he was in the first half of that game. I'll add this also, when watching Texas games from last year watch Mitchell BLOCK. I'm no scout and I don't watch 100's of hours of film, but from what I've seen of him at Georgia and his one year at Texas I don't know how he fell to number 52. Welcome to the Colts Adonai, I hope you burn up the league this year! Go Colts!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 9:48 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Agreed

Need health at QB and DBs.   This team could be scary

On 5/6/2024 at 6:01 PM, w87r said:

This is footage from just one game. The big game he had against the Titans.

AR

JT

Pittman

Pierce 

Downs 

Mitchell 

Lawrence Owen recently said that Brandon Aiyuk is a "system WR who wouldn't put up 700 yards on 90% of NFL teams." He's about as untrusty of a narrator as you can possibly get. And like us watching at home, he is not privy to the route calls, the playcalls, the reads, etc. 

But I watched the video. AP had a great game. However, Lawrence is driving this narrative with this one game against arguably the worst pass defense in the NFL last year. Fulton (#26), who was on AP much of this game, was especially bad last year, registering a 46 PFF grade.  

They had mismatches all over coming into the game and they exploited it from the beginning, hence AP's involvement. It's really not any deeper than that. This game was a complete outlier from any other game too, as far as production.

So Minshew held back the whole team, but benefited MPJ and Downs? 

If AP was getting open all the time and it was "like this every game", he wouldn't have ended up #124 in win route rate or #110 in avg. separation (min. 45 tgts). The people who watch every game and the tools that track these stats don't support this idea.

As someone said earlier, targets are earned. Minshew is executing the offense, but Steichen is the calling the plays and assigning reads in the RPO. So why wasn't Steichen dialing up more plays after this TEN game? Minshew made the throws in this game, so clearly he can make the throws.

And even with AR, who we know can make all the throws, they were hardly dialing up plays for AP either.

With the drafting of AD, it speaks volumes about who is holding back AP.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stitches said:

These are the Reception Perception charting numbers for Mitchell:

GLOUE_TWUAAGobU?format=jpg&name=largeGLOUFABWcAAIC_R?format=jpg&name=large

They also have him charted in the 83-85th percentile against man and against press coverage. 

edit: I just realized you asked for Pierce. Sorry... don't have those numbers. 

edit 2: found this on Pierce as a prospect: 

I think AD can win on the nine routes well enough to be that deep threat (he's got the long speed), but more importantly, he also can win on all the routes where AP really hasn't (AD really shined in the RZ too at Texas).

I think he will be a RZ threat right away and can be a really solid WR2 (assuming he becomes a willing blocker and the effort stuff is behind him). Don't know if he will ever a YAC machine though.

Does Harmon mean that his evaluation of AP coming out of college was similar to the "DK can only run nine routes and can't move laterally" evaluation? I don't entirely remember DK's evaluation, but I recall it sounding something like that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Stephen said:

To be fair stiechen didn't  take as many shots with Richardson  downfield early on. Just when he started to open offense  up more Richardson  got hurt.

This is true. But even once AR started throwing downfield more (comeback against LAR and TEN game), AP still only had one downfield target. With AD here and Downs coming into year 2, I just don't see a huge bump for AP coming. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think AD can win on the nine routes well enough to be that deep threat (he's got the long speed), but more importantly, he also can win on all the routes where AP really hasn't (AD really shined in the RZ too at Texas).

Yeah, I think AD is more versatile and in general better route runner, although his profile still heavily favors downfield type routes. But he gets open all over the field really. He just wasn't used a lot on the short ones and slants. 

I think he will be a RZ threat right away and can be a really solid WR2 (assuming he becomes a willing blocker and the effort stuff is behind him). Don't know if he will ever a YAC machine though.

Agreed, his RZ highlight reel is insane. I am not sure I've seen a WR that get that open that often in the RZ recently. It just looks seamless.

Possible he's never a YAC machine... although... it's possible we haven't seen enough opportunities for him to show if he can actually do it, because Texas ran most of their YAC type plays for Worthy(understandable), while AD had the long-range routes... I think I read somewhere he had the 7th highest ADOT(or whatever that stat is called) in the entire country(that's from 1000s of receivers)... at 16.5 yards per target. In general the more downfield you are targeted the less YAC opportunities you have. No idea how we are going to use him exactly...If we keep Pittman as possession type of receiver and just give AD some of AP's snaps, then he probably continues having low YAC and high average depth of target. 

Does Harmon mean that his evaluation of AP coming out of college was similar to the "DK can only run nine routes and can't move laterally" evaluation? I don't entirely remember DK's evaluation, but I recall it sounding something like that.

Yep, pretty much. 

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I think AD is more versatile and in general better route runner, although his profile still heavily favors downfield type routes. But he gets open all over the field really. He just wasn't used a lot on the short ones and slants. 

Agreed, his RZ highlight reel is insane. I am not sure I've seen a WR that get that open that often in the RZ recently. It just looks seamless.

Possible he's never a YAC machine... although... it's possible we haven't seen enough opportunities for him to show if he can actually do it, because Texas ran most of their YAC type plays for Worthy(understandable), while AD had the long-range routes... I think I read somewhere he had the 7th highest ADOT(or whatever that stat is called) in the entire country(that's from 1000s of receivers)... at 16.5 yards per target. In general the more downfield you are targeted the less YAC opportunities you have. No idea how we are going to use him exactly...If we keep Pittman as possession type of receiver and just give AD some of AP's snaps, then he probably continues having low YAC and high average depth of target. 

Yep, pretty much. 

Red zone is good due to being a smooth separator. Elite route runner.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:36 AM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pierce had most snaps as a WR in the league and Pittman was fourth. Hopefully fewer snaps will keep them fresher. They are both great blockers so the other guys are going to have to show the ability to block to win those snaps.

Yes. People shouldn't overlook their blocking skills. Two of the best blocking WRs in the game. None of this "Ole" stuff with these two. 

• Like 1

Noticed AD was not among the first round of draftee signings.  Is it possible he is going to hold out for 1st round money?  I had thought under the CBA the rookie contracts were somewhat locked in at certain numbers.

58 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

Noticed AD was not among the first round of draftee signings.  Is it possible he is going to hold out for 1st round money?  I had thought under the CBA the rookie contracts were somewhat locked in at certain numbers.

No , he is not holding out for first round money. Those days are long gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ArmchairQB said:

He can’t as you pointed out those contracts are more or less slotted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

No. Probably doesn't mean anything. Nowadays those contracts are standardized and largely a formality. 

8 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

What abort Bartolini and Golcalves? Are they also holding out? 

What a nonsensical post considering the rookie wage scale.

On 5/8/2024 at 11:46 AM, stitches said:

Yep, pretty much. 

Yeah AD didn't really get much YAC opp. But on the few plays where he got free, he didn't really look natural either. Pretty sure he fell down a couple times. Not sure how else to describe it. Some WRs just look natural running with the football...and some don't.

Very small sample size though. I think the area he will be used will be short yardage/green zone and deep balls.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah AD didn't really get much YAC opp. But on the few plays where he got free, he didn't really look natural either. Pretty sure he fell down a couple times. Not sure how else to describe it. Some WRs just look natural running with the football...and some don't.

Very small sample size though. I think the area he will be used will be short yardage/green zone and deep balls.

TY was the epitome of the execute the route, make the catch, and get down. Mitchell will get better at YAC on intermediate and deeper routes when he is led, not coming back to throws like Ewers served up.

• Like 1

They, Texas, and the Manning "team", are playing it smart. Arch sat as a freshman, learned the offense, and polished his game. Ewers was supposed to go pro Arch's  sophomore year, but was not good enough to declare for the draft. Sark runs a team, it is his decision to give Ewers his chance to improve his game, and NFL stock. If anything happens with Ewers, or team performance suffers, Arch will take over for good.