Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Adonai Mitchell WR Texas (Merged)

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I like the Matt Goncalves pick.   He has played left and right tackle but is projected to be an NFL guard.  

We already have a 6'6" RG that can't bend. At least 19 rep Gonc has tons of weight to try to shove with. Unfortunately, the battle with players of equal strength at the NFL level goes to he that goes low. Fries gets knocked back consistently by anyone they put in front of him much of the time, and especially when we need him the most, in short yardage. 

If this guy was drafted to play tackle to me means Freeland isn't expected to put on the bulk to be our future starting RT. lol

58 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

It's comical reading that Steichen and Reggie wanted him so much and Ballard passed on this #1 4.3s gold for a couple lousy 5's. 

but still got him didn’t he? It’s comical reading your posts sometimes too. 😂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

And to think - we all believe an OLine coach was fired for cursing…

I’m thinking it had more to do with Reich and Dave getting along more than cursing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Guys he’s being compared too include Chalk and Paris Campbell in terms of the type of player he will be in the NFL.  Should push Pierce for sure.

I watched a video breakdown on him (before we picked him) where the analyst comps him to Lamb. I wish I could remember the analyst's name

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holy cow

This was a complete hit job put on AD and unwarranted. We called him AD at Georgia. 

At Georgia he was loved and adored by coaches, fans and players. We were all deeply saddened when he left.

The charge that he was uncoachable was one of the most bizarre charges I have ever heard. 

This is a great pick by Ballard and suddenly puts the Colts back in the drivers seat for the division 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.  We don’t all believe that.  The OL coach that got let go after doing a very nice job in 2018 was fired for all the same reasons he got let go HIS ENTIRE CAREER.  

(His name is Dave DeGuglielmo)

But DD (Coach Gugs) has a roughly 20-25 year track record of being at most jobs for 1-2 years.  And he had been let go by all the jobs.   He doesn’t work well within the structure of a coaching staff.  And that includes, by the way, a 2-year stop with the Patriots and Belichick.    Colts Players spoke highly of the Coach.  By all accounts he did a good job.   So he clearly had issues working within the structure if a coaching staff if he’s being let go everywhere he’s been.  Swearing is not why he got fired.  The work of football on both the college and pro level is filled with cursing.   Doubt I ever attended a practice where I didn’t hear curse words.   High Scholl, sure.  Little to no coaching, at least not in front of media.    But college and Pro, heck yeah.   That’s not why Frank fired him. 

Note:   I just double checked his coaching tesume.  He’s 55 years old.   Started coaching in 1991.  He has 16 different jobs in 33 years.   He has four NFL stops starting around the 2000’s where his jobs last 3-4 years.  Otherwise all the other jobs are a mix of both pro and college.   His last two years?   2023 he was out of football altogether.  And this year he’s coaching Birmingham of the XFL.  

He’s not getting fired for cursing.  

Long retort to my innocuous little attempt at humor, NCF.  Of course, there was more to it than bad language.  I don't think his manner/coaching style meshed well with Reich, mainly.  Didn't mean to stir you up, sir.  Please accept my apology.  :^)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't have a problem with Ballard going to bat for his guys, or any young player, and I mostly agree with what he said. I'm also glad he said it.

However, AD Mitchell had a sloppy Combine, and said some things in his presser that could be interpreted as him not giving full effort every down (I think the comments were innocuous). I think it would have been good for Ballard to address some of those things, or for the questions to get more specific about some of the concerns. Including the diabetes.

The questions they asked AD tonight were, mostly, garbage. Four or five different versions of 'are you mad you didn't get drafted sooner' that were all met with the same energy from AD. Sometimes this group of reporters is like a dog with a bone, just won't let go of a certain angle. Asked and answered, let's move on guys.

I’ve heard better questions from Pat McAfee and Mad Mel compared to what our other guys ask…

This was a hell of a get for us. I feel like Mitchell has as high a ceiling as anybody in the draft, including MHJ. He has size, elite speed, great hands and is silky smooth in his routes. If he can refine his route running a bit, and find some consistency, look out. 

I think he is a tad bit immature, but he is coming into an excellent situation. To have a mentor like Reggie Wayne and an example like Pitt.......if he is a good kid with a solid head on his shoulders, he could be one of the top receivers in football with some good QB play. 

For all this talk about our recievers, I think we might have the most talented group with the most upside in the division. 

On Goncalves, I cant help but wonder if the plan is for him to challenge Fries this year with an eye on potentially replacing Kelly at some point. Ballard mentioned him playing center, which I found odd because hes never played there. He certainly has the feet. Anyways, I like that pick as well. To get a guy you feelclike could play any position on the line is huge. 

We have excellent depth at DL, OL and WR. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

Reggie Miller for the Pacers…. What was it, 11 points, 8 seconds all while grabbing his crouch in front of Spike Lee?

8 points in 8 seconds, and he never grabbed his crotch

48 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah he did , he gave the choke gesture around his neck and then grabbed his crotch in the typical 90s gesture of choke on these nutz. And frankly, I had no problem with it then nor now. Would have been better if we’d won that series but we didn’t. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The John stark head butt was hilarious as well. Man I miss that era of basketball. Now it’s all threes, no defense all fouls and crying. Lots of traveling etc. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

This was a hell of a get for us. I feel like Mitchell has as high a ceiling as anybody in the draft, including MHJ. He has size, elite speed, great hands and is silky smooth in his routes. If he can refine his route running a bit, and find some consistency, look out. 

I think he is a tad bit immature, but he is coming into an excellent situation. To have a mentor like Reggie Wayne and an example like Pitt.......if he is a good kid with a solid head on his shoulders, he could be one of the top receivers in football with some good QB play. 

For all this talk about our recievers, I think we might have the most talented group with the most upside in the division. 

On Goncalves, I cant help but wonder if the plan is for him to challenge Fries this year with an eye on potentially replacing Kelly at some point. Ballard mentioned him playing center, which I found odd because hes never played there. He certainly has the feet. Anyways, I like that pick as well. To get a guy you feelclike could play any position on the line is huge. 

We have excellent depth at DL, OL and WR. 

Center is the one position I don’t believe he’s played so I doubt he’s Kelly’s replacement barring extreme circumstances 

Dane Brugler's scouting report on Adonai Mitchell in his draft guide:

6. ADONAI MITCHELL | Texas 6022 | 205 lbs. | 3JR Missouri City, Texas (Cane Ridge) 10/8/2002 (age 21.55) #5

BACKGROUND: Adonai (ADD-an-I) “AD” Mitchell, the youngest of four boys, was born and raised in Missouri City (20 miles southwest of Houston). His mother (Darcy Padgett), a former model, and father (Norman Mitchell), a former stand-up comedian and actor, moved to Houston in 2000 and founded the Bee Busy Wellness Center, a nonprofit organization geared towards low-income individuals and families. In pee-wee and youth football, Mitchell was the kid with the ball in his hands and primarily played quarterback. His older brothers played basketball, but after trying it for two years, Mitchell decided that sport wasn’t for him. He spent his freshman year of high school at Westbury Christian School (a private school in Houston), and the coaches kept him at quarterb ack. To raise his recruiting profile, Mitchell transferred to Ridge Point High School (class 6A school in Fort Bend County) prior to his sophomore season and moved to wide receiver. As a junior in 2018, he earned second team All-District honors with 25 receptions for 378 yards and nine offensive touchdowns (five rushing, three receiving, one passing). He helped Ridge Point to a 10-2 record and the 2018 district championship. With Mitchell still struggling to garner recruiting attention, his father moved to the Nashville area for a year so his son could train with Buck Fitzgerald at the National Playmakers Academy. Mitchell transferred to Cane Ridge High School in Antioch, Tenn., for his senior season in 2019. After filling in at quarterback for the first three games, he moved back to wide receiver and led the team with 49 catches for 795 yards and 11 touchdowns. Mitchell helped Cane Ridge to a 9-4 record and state playoff appearance, and he was named the 2019 Region 5 -6A Athlete of the Year.

A four-star recruit, Mitchell was the No. 63 wide receiver in the 2021 recruiting class and the No. 10 recruit in Tennessee. He was originally in the 2020 recruiting class but decided to reclassify to the 2021 class and spent the ‘20 season training. After moving to Tennessee for his senior season, Mitchell attended several recruiting camps and received his first FBS offers (Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina and Tennessee). He picked up an offer from Ole Miss and Lane Kiffin in January 2020 and committed a few months later. However, Mitchell continued receiving offers (Auburn and Texas) and taking visits. In July 2020, he flipped his commitment to Georgia and former offensive coordinator Todd Monken. Mitchell enrolled early and was the No. 16 recruit in head coach Kirby Smart’s 2021 class (top receiver in the class). His daughter (Icylinn) was born in the summer of 2021, and Mitchell’s parents have been raising her while Mitchell has been i n school. After two national championships in two seasons in Athens, Mitchell entered the portal with the intention of moving closer to his daughter, and he transferred to Texas — a two-hour car ride away. After one season in Austin, Mitchell elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2024 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Long, limber and loose athlete … long-striding acceleration to quickly reach his top speed … light-footed and fluid in his releases and at the top of routes to stem his way over the top of corners (see his stutter-and-go touchdown vs. Alabama in 2023) … able to gear down on command to drive corners off the route and give his quarterback a clean target … flashes extra juice when the ball is in the air … able to high point with outstanding body control for in-air adjustments … tracks the ball into his hands (one drop over the last two seasons) … grew up competing with three older brothers, and his toughness stands out on tape … al ways looking for someone to block … led the Big 12 in touchdowns in 2023 … competes with big-play swagger and has a history of clutch touchdowns in his team’s most important games (caught the go-ahead touchdown in Georgia’s 2021 national title victory).

WEAKNESSES: Owns a modest build with lean features and stringy muscle tone … below-average play strength, and physical defensive backs will give him trouble early and late in the route … catch radius casts a wide net, but he has smallish hands and doesn’t always play strong to the football (caught just four contested balls in 2023) … his route running loses rhythm at times, and he needs to be more consistently deliberate with each step … averaged just 3.2 YAC in 2023 and is not known for his creativity or ability to break tackles after the catch … wasn’t a high-volume target in college (three or fewer catches in 10 of his 14 games at Texas) … missed most of the 2022 season at Georgia because of a high left ankle sprain (September 2022).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Texas, Mitchell was an outside wide receiver in head coach Steve Sarkisian’s spread, RPO offense. After helpi ng Georgia win a pair of national championships, he transferred to Texas (to be closer to his daughter) and helped the Longhorns reach the College Football Playoffs. He also became just the fifth player in Texas history with 11 touchdown grabs in a single season. Despite some wasted movements in his routes that need to be tightened up, Mitchell cleanly accelerates/decelerates at will with the fluid movement skills to create separation out of his breaks (his 81.8 percent first down/touchdown rate in 2 023 was the best among the receivers in this draft class). Though not the strongest player through contact, he has the hand-eye coordination and pliable frame to adjust, high point and reach throws most receivers cannot. Overall, Mitchell needs to become a more detail-focused receiver to fully unlock his talent, but he has the body length, loose athleticism and catch-pointskills to be a chain-moving weapon. He projects as a rangy, outside-the-numbers target with the lean, limber body type reminiscent of the late Chris Henry.

GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (No. 33 overall)

• Like 1

Greg Cosell's scouting report on Adonai Mitchell:

STRENGTHS:

- Tall wide receiver who predominantly lined up outside in Texas' offense and showed some shake and burst.

- Size and stride length are positive defining traits. Covered ground with good play speed and swift fluid movement.

- He showed build-up and acceleration speed off the ball when he had free access to challenging corners with stride length.

- Smooth mover for his size. Works the middle effectively with in-breaking routes and making hands catches.

- High percentage of inside routes came on speed cuts rather than throttling down and getting in and out of breaks.

- Reps in which he showed a sense of attacking corners and then lateral quickness to win at the top of his route stem.

- At times, he showed a wide catch radius with a strong grip to snatch the ball away from his frame.

- There were snaps in which he showed excellent short-area burst and quickness to defeat press coverage.

- Showed some run-after-catch juice with quickness, burst and competitive toughness. Physical presence.

WEAKNESSES:

- An outside finesse receiver who ran a specific route tree at Texas. Did not often attack and break down corners.

- The 2023 tape did not show much versatility to his game. An outside receiver who did not run multiple routes.

BOTTOM LINE: "Given his meaningful improvement throughout the 2023 season, Mitchell is one of the more intriguing wide receiver prospects in the 2024 draft. Mitchell possesses outstanding size and a strong, solid frame. He consistently showed outstanding hands and the ability to catch the ball easily away from his frame."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Dane Brugler's scouting report on Adonai Mitchell in his draft guide:

6. ADONAI MITCHELL | Texas 6022 | 205 lbs. | 3JR Missouri City, Texas (Cane Ridge) 10/8/2002 (age 21.55) #5

BACKGROUND: Adonai (ADD-an-I) “AD” Mitchell, the youngest of four boys, was born and raised in Missouri City (20 miles southwest of Houston). His mother (Darcy Padgett), a former model, and father (Norman Mitchell), a former stand-up comedian and actor, moved to Houston in 2000 and founded the Bee Busy Wellness Center, a nonprofit organization geared towards low-income individuals and families. In pee-wee and youth football, Mitchell was the kid with the ball in his hands and primarily played quarterback. His older brothers played basketball, but after trying it for two years, Mitchell decided that sport wasn’t for him. He spent his freshman year of high school at Westbury Christian School (a private school in Houston), and the coaches kept him at quarterb ack. To raise his recruiting profile, Mitchell transferred to Ridge Point High School (class 6A school in Fort Bend County) prior to his sophomore season and moved to wide receiver. As a junior in 2018, he earned second team All-District honors with 25 receptions for 378 yards and nine offensive touchdowns (five rushing, three receiving, one passing). He helped Ridge Point to a 10-2 record and the 2018 district championship. With Mitchell still struggling to garner recruiting attention, his father moved to the Nashville area for a year so his son could train with Buck Fitzgerald at the National Playmakers Academy. Mitchell transferred to Cane Ridge High School in Antioch, Tenn., for his senior season in 2019. After filling in at quarterback for the first three games, he moved back to wide receiver and led the team with 49 catches for 795 yards and 11 touchdowns. Mitchell helped Cane Ridge to a 9-4 record and state playoff appearance, and he was named the 2019 Region 5 -6A Athlete of the Year.

A four-star recruit, Mitchell was the No. 63 wide receiver in the 2021 recruiting class and the No. 10 recruit in Tennessee. He was originally in the 2020 recruiting class but decided to reclassify to the 2021 class and spent the ‘20 season training. After moving to Tennessee for his senior season, Mitchell attended several recruiting camps and received his first FBS offers (Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina and Tennessee). He picked up an offer from Ole Miss and Lane Kiffin in January 2020 and committed a few months later. However, Mitchell continued receiving offers (Auburn and Texas) and taking visits. In July 2020, he flipped his commitment to Georgia and former offensive coordinator Todd Monken. Mitchell enrolled early and was the No. 16 recruit in head coach Kirby Smart’s 2021 class (top receiver in the class). His daughter (Icylinn) was born in the summer of 2021, and Mitchell’s parents have been raising her while Mitchell has been i n school. After two national championships in two seasons in Athens, Mitchell entered the portal with the intention of moving closer to his daughter, and he transferred to Texas — a two-hour car ride away. After one season in Austin, Mitchell elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2024 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Long, limber and loose athlete … long-striding acceleration to quickly reach his top speed … light-footed and fluid in his releases and at the top of routes to stem his way over the top of corners (see his stutter-and-go touchdown vs. Alabama in 2023) … able to gear down on command to drive corners off the route and give his quarterback a clean target … flashes extra juice when the ball is in the air … able to high point with outstanding body control for in-air adjustments … tracks the ball into his hands (one drop over the last two seasons) … grew up competing with three older brothers, and his toughness stands out on tape … al ways looking for someone to block … led the Big 12 in touchdowns in 2023 … competes with big-play swagger and has a history of clutch touchdowns in his team’s most important games (caught the go-ahead touchdown in Georgia’s 2021 national title victory).

WEAKNESSES: Owns a modest build with lean features and stringy muscle tone … below-average play strength, and physical defensive backs will give him trouble early and late in the route … catch radius casts a wide net, but he has smallish hands and doesn’t always play strong to the football (caught just four contested balls in 2023) … his route running loses rhythm at times, and he needs to be more consistently deliberate with each step … averaged just 3.2 YAC in 2023 and is not known for his creativity or ability to break tackles after the catch … wasn’t a high-volume target in college (three or fewer catches in 10 of his 14 games at Texas) … missed most of the 2022 season at Georgia because of a high left ankle sprain (September 2022).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Texas, Mitchell was an outside wide receiver in head coach Steve Sarkisian’s spread, RPO offense. After helpi ng Georgia win a pair of national championships, he transferred to Texas (to be closer to his daughter) and helped the Longhorns reach the College Football Playoffs. He also became just the fifth player in Texas history with 11 touchdown grabs in a single season. Despite some wasted movements in his routes that need to be tightened up, Mitchell cleanly accelerates/decelerates at will with the fluid movement skills to create separation out of his breaks (his 81.8 percent first down/touchdown rate in 2 023 was the best among the receivers in this draft class). Though not the strongest player through contact, he has the hand-eye coordination and pliable frame to adjust, high point and reach throws most receivers cannot. Overall, Mitchell needs to become a more detail-focused receiver to fully unlock his talent, but he has the body length, loose athleticism and catch-pointskills to be a chain-moving weapon. He projects as a rangy, outside-the-numbers target with the lean, limber body type reminiscent of the late Chris Henry.

GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (No. 33 overall)

He looks quick and breaks ankles near the goal line.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He looks quick and breaks ankles near the goal line.

His red zone tape is one of the most impressive ones in the draft, gets so much separation in such short bursts. Almost on par with MHJ... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pelt said:

I watched a video breakdown on him (before we picked him) where the analyst comps him to Lamb. I wish I could remember the analyst's name

Steve Smith called him a top 5 wr in this draft

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

This was a complete hit job put on AD and unwarranted. We called him AD at Georgia. 

At Georgia he was loved and adored by coaches, fans and players. We were all deeply saddened when he left.

The charge that he was uncoachable was one of the most bizarre charges I have ever heard. 

This is a great pick by Ballard and suddenly puts the Colts back in the drivers seat for the division 

Probably the passenger seat with Houston driving.  The Jags may be encroaching too.

29 minutes ago, Stephen said:

His upside is a faster more athletic  reggie wayne 

His ceiling is more like CeeDee Lamb. Look at their measurables and compare their height, weight and burst. Both red zone nightmares.

At first, I took Steve Smith’s body catcher on his word about AD, but the more I look at his film, he catches plenty with his hands and uses his catch radius really well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, James said:

Haha!!! Guess who I compared him to a few posts ago for a ceiling!!! CeeDee Lamb. I didn’t even watch this video till now, where the maker of the video says that’s his best comp. :) 

48 minutes ago, chad72 said:

His ceiling is more like CeeDee Lamb. Look at their measurables and compare their height, weight and burst. Both red zone nightmares.

At first, I took Steve Smith’s body catcher on his word about AD, but the more I look at his film, he catches plenty with his hands and uses his catch radius really well.

I think he can be better than cee dee lamb

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Long retort to my innocuous little attempt at humor, NCF.  Of course, there was more to it than bad language.  I don't think his manner/coaching style meshed well with Reich, mainly.  Didn't mean to stir you up, sir.  Please accept my apology.  :^)

Sorry if you think I overreacted.  I have found over the years that even a modest level of a comment can lead to it being accepted as fact by new posters who have more recently become members accepting it as fact unless there is some push back. 

And I confess I’m very sensitive to comments that to me make Frank Reich seem like an incompetent HC.   If feels like his reputation has taken a real beating (some very deserved and some not so much) and it reduces him to a guy who did very little right.  

Also….  I have long found this community, once it decides they don’t like a player, a coach, an executive, they are very hard on the person and his reputation.   This is not a new view for me.  I’ve been making it for more than half my soon to be 13 years as a member here.  

I appreciate your response.   Just wanted to explain why I reacted as I did.  

• Thanks 1

We might have lucked out here I sure hope so but I don’t think he was a player we were hoping to get with our second pick.  If so we wouldn’t have traded back.  A great prospect like Mitchell and we trade back for two late picks that will be lucky to make the team.  You don’t pass on a potential difference maker for two 5’s to go back five spots you could lose him right ?  He’s a potential alpha in a position of need.  And you trade back?  No way imo.  I think he thanked God when he got the call to trade back.  Unfortunately he was hoping another team would solve his problem but he still wasn’t drafted.  Now he’s back on the clock at pick 52 and no more phone calls.  He still remains at the top of our board at pick 52.  The entire draft room is looking at him and he knows he has to make the pick.  We have to take the swing.  If we hit its a home run if not it’s not.  At least he’s not our 1st pick.  I love the Latu pick.  This one will hopefully work out too. The experts say we got another A.  So I guess we can all feel good about that.  But after watching his zoom call with the media I confess I was a little nervous.  I watched Ballard defend him like he has to.  So I’m hoping we hit on this pick like everyone else.  The potential is there for sure.  We shall see.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My gut after these first two picks is that Ballard will be signing a vet safety and a CB after the draft. Will probably spend more on safety. Thought this tweet from Diggs was interesting.

Between you and me I think he has agreed to terms and will be signing with us shortly after the draft.

5 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

When a guy with that type of talent slips to 52, there has to be a reason. I'm not saying it is that bad, but something in his profile was somewhat concerning. I do love that pick

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When a guy with that type of talent slips to 52, there has to be a reason. I'm not saying it is that bad, but something in his profile was somewhat concerning. I do love that pick

His metrics were not as correlated to NFL success as others.  I remember saying I much preferred Xavier Worthy between him and AD, and it appears the NFL thought the same.  Though here in mid second range, totally solid pick

9 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Really? 

rp hours upon hope every year for a big trade or free agent move.   It never happens.   I'm actually inclined to agree this time.   They freed up some space.   Maybe diggs or simmons will get signed.   I'm not holding my breath though.   Ballard seems content with the secondary

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agree that something had to be pushing him down . Why didn't Ballard jump at the chance to draft him at 46 ?