Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Adonai Mitchell WR Texas (Merged)

36 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Are we going to move Pittman or Pierce inside because outside is where Adonai Mitchell belongs?? 

Both Pittman and Pierce can play the Big X WR inside, IMO.

Pittman played 30% of his snaps inside last year. I don't know if that increases but I agree he can work the inside. 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

Pittman played 30% of his snaps inside last year. I don't know if that increases but I agree he can work the inside. 

Besides, Mitchell will only slowly get his reps ramped up because of the head start the others have on him with Steichen's playbook. So, there is that. It might be an evolution for sure but would be hard pressed to play Josh Downs in the red zone with 3 big WRs that can go and get it but the quick outs to Anthony Gould and reverses or pitches will be nice additions by the goal line too. I like the options added to the offense immensely. 

He’s got to beat Pierce out before he’s a starter.  He’s going to go to camp number four on the depth chart in all likely hood.  A lot of people think Richardson will finally unlock Pierce so if that happens Mitchell will be a fill in guy who slowly sees his snaps go up if he performs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, James said:

I know that a highlight reel doesn’t mean much and I’m for sure no good at evaluating WRs but it looks like he has very impressive ball awareness. He just gets his hands where the damn ball is, and not all of those throws were that easy to catch.

I think we got ourselves a darn good player here @stitches

I had the same good feeling about Downs last year looking at a highlight reel of him after the draft, not gonna lie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I know that a highlight reel doesn’t mean much and I’m for sure no good at evaluating WRs but it looks like he has very impressive ball awareness. He just gets his hands where the damn ball is, and not all of those throws were that easy to catch.

I think we got ourselves a darn good player here @stitches

I had the same good feeling about Downs last year looking at a highlight reel of him after the draft, not gonna lie.

Yeah, I like him a lot. He ended up being my WR4-5... And probably the best X receiver prospect after MHJ and Odunze. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When a guy with that type of talent slips to 52, there has to be a reason. I'm not saying it is that bad, but something in his profile was somewhat concerning. I do love that pick

He fell because his tape is inconsistent. All the talent in the world but it doesn't show up all the time on tape. I don't know how he did in interviews but Colts were fine with it and Ballard defended his character. Sometimes GMs just overthink it. It's like Downs last year. He should've gone earlier but his size pushed him down the boards, to the Colts advantage. This was also a deep draft WR wise. There was about everything you could ask for in terms of WR profiles. It's not surprising that some teams would prefer someone who has better tape but is less talented (like Pearsall or McConkey)

8 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Anybody feel from watching AD Mitchell’s tape that Quinn Ewers is overrated, for a QB predicted to go in the first round next year. AD had so many underthrown and in particular late balls by Ewers.

Overrated is one way to describe him, yah. He was being talked as one of those 6 guys that went in the top 12 until like half-way through the season and the moment you start watching their WRs you realize why he returned to college. I don't see it with him ... like at all. They are all young players and can improve of course(for example, I had similar feelings about Nix when he was in Auburn, but look at how far he's come since then), but he was very erratic and scattershot on intermediate-deep routes. He did no favors to those receivers that were in the draft this year. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Football wise Mitchell seems amazing but just something about his attitude seemed off. It could be that he was really upset about dropping but it almost seemed he didn’t want to come to Indy.

I get what u r saying. To me he is the type of player that can be successful but it's  how u approach him when he is struggling that will make the difference. I have seen one of his post draft interviews, and I don't think he is the type of player that will respond to yelling and screaming. It will just take the right approach.

Scout Coughlan:

On Mitchell’s work ethic: We talked to everybody in that building. This dude practices hard. He works hard. His position coach (Chris Jackson at Texas), coached in the NFL. I talked to him extensively about this guy. … I’m like, ‘How’s this guy gonna fit in the building?’ He’s like, ‘Dude, this guy believes he belongs.’ … He believes that. His coach believes it, and obviously we do, too, to pick this guy.

• Like 2

In an ESPN Post Draft Roundtable one of the questions asked was:

In five years, we're all going to wonder why ___ fell in the draft.

Matt Miller: Adonai Mitchell, WR, Colts (No. 52). Mitchell is talented enough to be ranked inside my top 20, but the real reason we'll be talking about him falling is because he's about to be paired up with quarterback Anthony Richardson. Receiver Michael Pittman Jr. also being in the offense will keep safeties honest over the middle, and Mitchell's deep speed and body control are ideal for Richardson's amazing arm strength. He'll take the top off the defense in a hurry.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s got to beat Pierce out before he’s a starter.  He’s going to go to camp number four on the depth chart in all likely hood.  A lot of people think Richardson will finally unlock Pierce so if that happens Mitchell will be a fill in guy who slowly sees his snaps go up if he performs.

I think him beating out Pierce is a given.  Idk man, I just think Pierce doesn’t have the speed to get separation at an NFL level.  He excels at 50/50 balls so I think we will see him closer to the red zone, especially with what he brings in the run game.  I think he’s a better fit for this offense as a WR4.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I think him beating out Pierce is a given.  Idk man, I just think Pierce doesn’t have the speed to get separation at an NFL level.  He excels at 50/50 balls so I think we will see him closer to the red zone, especially with what he brings in the run game.  I think he’s a better fit for this offense as a WR4.  

It’s not.  Again, a lot of people think Pierce’s struggles were related to the QB play.  If that’s true Pierce could explode with Richardson.  We shall see.  We are also assuming Mitchell is going to work at the NFL level because he’s the newest player.  That’s not a given.  Campbell and perhaps Pierce were both second round picks that didn’t and haven’t panned out so far so Mitchell is not a sure thing.  He’s going to have to earn it and he has the skill set to do it.  There is also nothing wrong with making him earn it.  For the record I want Mitchell to work out and I want Pierce to explode because both are best for the Colts.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s not.  Again, a lot of people think Pierce’s struggles were related to the QB play.  If that’s true Pierce could explode with Richardson.  We shall see.  We are also assuming Mitchell is going to work at the NFL level because he’s the newest player.  That’s not a given.  Campbell and perhaps Pierce were both second round picks that didn’t and haven’t panned out so far so Mitchell is not a sure thing.  He’s going to have to earn it and he has the skill set to do it.  There is also nothing wrong with making him earn it.  For the record I want Mitchell to work out and I want Pierce to explode because both are best for the Colts.

Yeah, we’ll see.  I think Pierce has to develop his route tree because he doesn’t have that burner speed.  Yeah, having AR launch it to him will be better but if he isn’t elite at catching 50/50 balls then it’ll be for nothing.  Pierce with an improved route tree would be fantastic.  But Pierce just running go routes, I don’t know how long that’s going to last.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Anybody feel from watching AD Mitchell’s tape that Quinn Ewers is overrated, for a QB predicted to go in the first round next year. AD had so many underthrown and in particular late balls by Ewers.

Yup Ewers, will be a career backup at best in the NFL, this years QB group was unusually deep that's why he stayed in college he would have been a late round pick like Rattler

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

The fact Arch manning isn't  starting  over him makes question how good he is to.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Yeah, we’ll see.  I think Pierce has to develop his route tree because he doesn’t have that burner speed.  Yeah, having AR launch it to him will be better but if he isn’t elite at catching 50/50 balls then it’ll be for nothing.  Pierce with an improved route tree would be fantastic.  But Pierce just running go routes, I don’t know how long that’s going to last.

Pierce is faster than pittman  but slower than downs mitchell and Gould

4 hours ago, smittywerb said:

If Alec Pierce is our WR4, God help NFL secondaries.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

YES.  I watched a lot of Texas football last year and Ewers does not impress.  Could not complete the deep ball til the end of the year and his processing seems slow.  

Arch showed out during the Spring Game last week.  Went through his progressions and whatnot.  Don't know if that's an indictment on UT's defense or what, but he was good.  

• Like 2

Super, super excited for this kid! If he can workout, I think this can automatically slot Pierce down in the pecking order as a 3/4, and he can attack the 4th best CB vertically, which should open up the offense tremendously.

I was listening to a PFF Youtube; they said paraphrasing, "essentially, we got two first round picks," with this pickup.   Also, listening to Steve Smith scout report: he loves this kid.  He moved Mitchell into his top 5 WR's in this draft class.  Says he does "catch the ball with his body," would like to see him attack the ball more with his hands, but love his speed, his fluidity, some of the route-running jump off the tape.  

He's also doing this against guys that he's going to be competing with against Sunday, too.  He's the real deal.  Finally, got our guy besides Pittman, IMO.  Just an outstanding pick.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DattMavis said:

If Alec Pierce is our WR4, God help NFL secondaries.

I think we have a good WR room.  Could be VERY good depending on development.

dont get me wrong, I want Alec Pierce to succeed.  But I’m not among the people that think he’s going to be good just because AR is going to launch it to him.  Alec has some growing to do and AR does as well.  

And I may be wrong.  AP might become an absolute monster and Moss defenders on a consistent basis.  But I’m just going off what I’ve seen.  I know what the stats say regarding his separation and what not, but my eyes tell me different.  All in all, I hope for the best because I want us to be the best.

11 hours ago, w87r said:

Mitchell 4.34

Gould 4.39

Pierce 4.41

Downs 4.48

Adding to this….  

And Pittman runs 4.52, the slowest of our receivers.  Which to me says there’s more to being a high level receiver than just being fast.   A fact that I’d bet Cooper Kupp (4.62) would support.  

To be clear, I love our WR room.  And I’m excited to see what the mind of Shane Steichen comes up with to take our offense to the next level.   I’m really looking forward to the year to come.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

The fact Arch manning isn't  starting  over him makes question how good he is to.

I’ve wondered this as well. Infact Arch is shown 3rd on their depth chart last I looked(Dec)

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Adding to this….  

And Pittman runs 4.52, the slowest of our receivers.  Which to me says there’s more to being a high level receiver than just being fast.   A fact that I’d bet Cooper Kupp (4.62) would support.  

To be clear, I love our WR room.  And I’m excited to see what the mind of Shane Steichen comes up with to take our offense to the next level.   I’m really looking forward to the year to come.   

We have the potential to really open up this offense with the two new guys plus who we have returning. Key is going to be the rotation and consistency. But that will take time and I except it to be rough the first 1/4 of the season, maybe longer. 

I think after this draft, speed should not be a limiting factor for this team's WR group. I think we have enough speed to do anything on the field and run any sort of route combinations and have a threat at all levels of the field. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think after this draft, speed should not be a limiting factor for this team's WR group. I think we have enough speed to do anything on the field and run any sort of route combinations and have a threat at all levels of the field. 

It’ll come down to routes. If we can get a consistent weapon opposite of Pittman, it’ll open everything up. If that is Pierce or Mitchell, or downs, or combination of , JT is gonna feast 

• Like 1

Steichen made a comment; “There’s only one football”. 
  To me, that may be an issue: (Pittman already has voiced dissatisfaction over not getting the ball enough).

So you have 6 WRs, 5 TEs and 2 or 3 RBs who have to understand they are part of a bigger whole. 
  I’d like to think that they will be coached with the mindset of TEAM. In an age of players making a play, separating themselves from the team and pounding their chests (don’t know how that started), I hope we don’t have issues when players are called to be a support for others on the team.

44 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Steichen made a comment; “There’s only one football”. 
  To me, that may be an issue: (Pittman already has voiced dissatisfaction over not getting the ball enough).

So you have 6 WRs, 5 TEs and 2 or 3 RBs who have to understand they are part of a bigger whole. 
  I’d like to think that they will be coached with the mindset of TEAM. In an age of players making a play, separating themselves from the team and pounding their chests (don’t know how that started), I hope we don’t have issues when players are called to be a support for others on the team.

That is where Steichen and his leadership comes in. Does he give free rein to AR to go off script if his reads aren't open? If he does, and the OL protects, lot of mouths will be fed, IMO. I still think Steichen is the type that softens a team with the passing game and runs it when safeties stop cheating. Ultimately, teams will continue to play our wideouts 1-on-1 to test AR's accuracy and to account for the AR/JT combo, and the more our pass catchers separate and more that AR improves from the pocket, it will put teams in a serious dilemma. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

He fell because his tape is inconsistent. All the talent in the world but it doesn't show up all the time on tape. I don't know how he did in interviews but Colts were fine with it and Ballard defended his character. Sometimes GMs just overthink it. It's like Downs last year. He should've gone earlier but his size pushed him down the boards, to the Colts advantage. This was also a deep draft WR wise. There was about everything you could ask for in terms of WR profiles. It's not surprising that some teams would prefer someone who has better tape but is less talented (like Pearsall or McConkey)

If you went on just his highlight tape and his measurables, he is arguable in the same class at MHJ and Nabers. The issue is that his production doesnt match the talent. It is up to the Colts and Mitchell to put it all together. I cant wait to have him and Pierce on the outside and then go with whoever you want on the inside. I think if nothing out, it is going to clean up the running lanes. This could be an MVP year to JT. I think you are going to see an offence that is kind of similar to the 80'sand 90's brand of football lol

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is where Steichen and his leadership comes in. Does he give free rein to AR to go off script if his reads aren't open? If he does, and the OL protects, lot of mouths will be fed, IMO. I still think Steichen is the type that softens a team with the passing game and runs it when safeties stop cheating. Ultimately, teams will continue to play our wideouts 1-on-1 to test AR's accuracy and to account for the AR/JT combo, and the more our pass catchers separate and more that AR improves from the pocket, it will put teams in a serious dilemma. 

Defenses might also play a lot of zone against Richardson.   NFL zones are much more sophisticated and may cause AR more trouble.   

On 4/29/2024 at 12:39 AM, ColtsWarrior24 said:

Super, super excited for this kid! If he can workout, I think this can automatically slot Pierce down in the pecking order as a 3/4, and he can attack the 4th best CB vertically, which should open up the offense tremendously.

I was listening to a PFF Youtube; they said paraphrasing, "essentially, we got two first round picks," with this pickup.   Also, listening to Steve Smith scout report: he loves this kid.  He moved Mitchell into his top 5 WR's in this draft class.  Says he does "catch the ball with his body," would like to see him attack the ball more with his hands, but love his speed, his fluidity, some of the route-running jump off the tape.  

He's also doing this against guys that he's going to be competing with against Sunday, too.  He's the real deal.  Finally, got our guy besides Pittman, IMO.  Just an outstanding pick.   

I wonder how much of the body catching is because of Ewers throwing bad passes. AD only dropped 1% of his passes (over 100 attempts) so I don't think the catching is much of an issue. Agreed with everything else, love this pick. 

Kevin Bowen made a great point in one of his podcasts about AD Mitchell and him producing in big games. He has 5 games in the NCAA college football playoffs... and he has a TD in every single one of them including 2 championship games. Including TDs in his freshman year in both games Georgia won for their national championship, then he did it again next year. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TheRadiantAerynSun said:

I think that's when Murphy was still on the roster.  He transferred, Arch is #2.  

Ok but the point stands. Is arch manning as good as hyped when he’s not a starter now in year 2 of Texas

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ok but the point stands. Is arch manning as good as hyped when he’s not a starter now in year 2 of Texas

I haven't been paying any attention. Is Arch Manning actually hyped? Or are people just keeping an eye on him because he's a Manning? 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I haven't been paying any attention. Is Arch Manning actually hyped? Or are people just keeping an eye on him because he's a Manning? 

He was the number 2 recruit coming out of highschool and has been billed as the “best QB of all the Mannings”  but so far he’s not been able to become a starter over some questionable QBs at Texas. 

• Like 1