Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Mahomes be viewed as a better all time QB than Peyton if he wins this years SuperBowl?

runthepost

51 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If any of what you just said were true, Dallas wouldn't have been excluded from the Super Bowl for 30 years.   The Bears would be there pretty regularly.   Indianapolis has a larger TV market than Kansas City.  So does Detroit and several other cities.  Your notion is nonsensical 

Its a known fact that the league doesn't like Jerry Jones because doesn't share as much revenue as other teams etc.....raiders and other teams aren't liked also. 

Naive thinking is getting old and becoming the minority way of thinking when it comes to the nfl and sports in general. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Burrow is not done yet, just been 4 years in the league. If he stays healthy another 10 years, he will get his share. Burrow plays a lot like Brady too, not turning it over, methodical clock control, not giving Mahomes on the other side many chances etc.

Burrow is as good as any other top QB, right there with Josh Allen. Its just that both of them and add Herbert to the mix that they have a much tougher road  than mahomes. 

But with a High.profile hire of Harbaugh that may hopefully change for Herbert and the long suffering chargers fans.

I think AR5 has the talent and physicality to join the other elite QBs.

26 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Its a known fact that the league doesn't like Jerry Jones because doesn't share as much revenue as other teams etc.....raiders and other teams aren't liked also. 

Naive thinking is getting old and becoming the minority way of thinking when it comes to the nfl and sports in general. 

The revenue shared by NFL teams is a set percentage for every owner.   Dallas makes more money by far than any other team.   So that's nonsense. 

You say the league doesn't like the Raiders.   The team the league approved and help move to Las Vegas.  Oh by the way,  they are hosting the superbowl.   

Your premise is nonsense and you can't give a shred of evidence to support it.   Why would the NFL rig games?  It would shut down a multi billion dollar business.   There are no football gods who determine the outcome of games.  Get real or better yet,  prove it

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Prime Peyton manning in todays league would absolutely torch defenses. He would have 50 touchdowns every year. The league now is soft and favor the offense by far. Same goes as WR. WR. back the would torch the defenses ow because they arent being grabbed every play. Same goes for like NBA thats why players are able to score so much points in a game because defense is soft. 

all sports have changed the rules to encourage a lot more offense!  That makes it impossible to compare players by stats. There are greatest of their era, not really greatest of all time.

Mahomes is the most gifted athlete above ALL others. Burrow if healthy is a very close second. When Mahomes career is over let his numbers speak for themselves. In championship games I would take Mahomes and Burrow over Brady and Manning. 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

IMO the very fact that there is a conversation about this and Mahomes is still 28 and about to play in his 4th Superbowl should tell you something about the way Mahomes is regarded. I don't think it's just the hot take shows. I've heard plenty of respectable(non-hot-take type of) pundits and analysts consider Mahomes as one of the best to ever play already. I've heard some even say he might be the best there ever was(this includes Brady). You don't have to agree with this and I don't agree with that last part... yet, but it's not crazy or unreasonable to hold that opinion, IMO. He certainly has the talent, he certainly has the success to warrant such consideration. And again... I will repeat this because it's still kind of crazy... he's still 28 and about to go to his 4th Superbowl, with a chance to go for his 3d win in a Superbowl out of 7 years in the league(and he didn't play in the 1st year)... 

I have Mahomes ranked 4th all-time, I am not buying he is better than Peyton or Montana yet. He has a long way to go before he catches Brady if we are talking SB wins as well. JMO. If Mahomes even gets this SB win, it won't change anything for me for now, but it does add to his greatness.

• Like 1

To me, if Mahomes wins the SB in 2 weeks, he passes Peyton Manning for 3rd on the all-time QB list. The way he's dominated on the Chiefs is amazing. He's in an AFC which is the better of the two conferences, had a very difficult playoff schedule this year (Dolphins, Bills, Ravens), and I believe he has never lost as a playoff underdog. The guy is as clutch as Brady and Montana, and he is the greatest of this generation. 

• Like 1

Also, the OPs question is, will Mahomes be better than Peyton all-time if he wins this SB? Not will Mahomes end up being better all-time when his career is over. The latter is very possible because of what he has accomplished in his 1st 6 seasons but a win on SB Sunday still doesn't quite do it for me. Peyton won 5 League MVP's, Mahomes only has 2. Mahomes and Peyton both have now made 4 SB's, a win would give Mahomes a 3-2 advantage there but 3-2 is close, if Mahomes gets to 4 SB wins and wins another League MVP, than I would say yes. He hasn't done that yet. Remember a lot of things can happen between now and 5 years from now. Like Reid retiring, Kelce retiring, also many people forget, Tom Brady went from the 2004 season through the 2013 season without winning a SB, 10 seasons. Nothing is a guarantee. People love being prisoner of the moment though and give everyone the GOAT Title it seems now days.

7 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Peyton is one of the greatest regular season QB ever. The playoffs are a different story, so many seasons died in Foxboro. When booger McFarlane came here and Bob Sanders was healthy. That was the biggest reason we won the Super Bowl. I know Peyton won two but having Reggie, Marvin, Edgerrin, Freeney, Mathis and Clark we should’ve won more championships.

Manning is the King.......of one and dones.  7

I discount the MVP's because he was pass happy, under utilizing the run game, solely to prove HIS greatness, in pursuit of MVP's.

Most Valuable for a season, doesn't indicate the best player. 

55 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

To me, if Mahomes wins the SB in 2 weeks, he passes Peyton Manning for 3rd on the all-time QB list. The way he's dominated on the Chiefs is amazing. He's in an AFC which is the better of the two conferences, had a very difficult playoff schedule this year (Dolphins, Bills, Ravens), and I believe he has never lost as a playoff underdog. The guy is as clutch as Brady and Montana, and he is the greatest of this generation. 

That certainly was not an easy road this season.   Wow!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Jones shares what he is legally required to share according to NFL rules.    It’s the same as all teams.   But there’s a reason Jerry built a 90,000 seat stadium which can be converted to 100,000 if they want.   Jerry makes more money, and that money he’s NOT required to share. 

33 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Manning is the King.......of one and dones.  7

I discount the MVP's because he was pass happy, under utilizing the run game, solely to prove HIS greatness, in pursuit of MVP's.

Most Valuable for a season, doesn't indicate the best player. 

You discount someone winning 5 League MVPs. Sometimes I wonder what goes through people's minds lmao . You do realize winning League MVP is an individual award, winning games is a team accomplishment. I get it, winning SBs is the goal and is why I give 1.5 points out to a QB for winning that game but to discredit someone for winning 5 League MVPs deserves a crazy GIF

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You discount someone winning 5 League MVPs. Sometimes I wonder what goes through people's minds lmao . You do realize winning League MVP is an individual award, winning games is a team accomplishment. I get it, winning SBs is the goal and is why I give 1.5 points out to a QB for winning that game but to discredit someone for winning 5 League MVPs deserves a crazy GIF

personally I don't put as much into the MVP awards in sports.  Too often it goes to the most popular player (not saying that was why Peyton won them).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Myles said:

personally I don't put as much into the MVP awards in sports.  Too often it goes to the most popular player (not saying that was why Peyton won them).  

In Peyton's case, I could even say he should have won 7 League MVP's. He basically didn't win 2 because he was winning so many, the voters wanted someone different. Peyton was the MVP in 2006 and in 2012 IMO and a RB got it each year. 

No. Not yet at least.
It is hard for a guy with six years as a starter to surpass someone who played for 15-plus years.

However...he does have a shot at it. He is probably the only active QB capable of surpassing guys like Peyton and Montana and Brady (source: my opinion).
The thing is....it is very obvious that he is very talented AND cold. He plays with the arm talent of Dan Marino, the inteligence of a seasoned QB and the coldness of Tom Brady. Oh, and he can run too. There is no Allen/Burrow vs Mahomes = Manning vs Brady talks going on because Mahomes is BOTH Manning AND Brady. He is THE most talented, the best pure QB, AND the best winner, the coldest in the league today.

If we were talking about 7 years carrers...yeah he is pretty much over anyone. But to be the best ever he will have to keep going like this for at least 5+ years, win about 5 SB (total) and a couple more MVPs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Brazilian Ninja said:

No. Not yet at least.
It is hard for a guy with six years as a starter to surpass someone who played for 15-plus years.

However...he does have a shot at it. He is probably the only active QB capable of surpassing guys like Peyton and Montana and Brady (source: my opinion).
The thing is....it is very obvious that he is very talented AND cold. He plays with the arm talent of Dan Marino, the inteligence of a seasoned QB and the coldness of Tom Brady. Oh, and he can run too. There is no Allen/Burrow vs Mahomes = Manning vs Brady talks going on because Mahomes is BOTH Manning AND Brady. He is THE most talented, the best pure QB, AND the best winner, the coldest in the league today.

If we were talking about 7 years carrers...yeah he is pretty much over anyone. But to be the best ever he will have to keep going like this for at least 5+ years, win about 5 SB (total) and a couple more MVPs.

Pretty much sums her up :thmup:

I have been thinking about this question for a while now. On paper, yes, I do think this puts Mahomes in front of Peyton. 

That said, I think historical context plays a huge role. In a nut shell, Peyton changed the game, Mahomes evolved it. Peyton forever altered the way the QB position was played. He showed how much more of a coach/playcaller the QB position could be. Mahomes took it to the next level by showing that you don’t necessarily need to compromise between an athletic QB and a passing QB. 

There are levels to this game, as there are in anything else in life. As the game, and specifically the position evolves, and as rules continue to evolve to favor offense in general, the league is primed to see breakout performers at every offensive position early in their careers over the next couple decades. Records eventually topple. 

But at the end of the day, until the end of time, Peyton belongs in every conversation involving football and the evolution of the game, forever. He is an architect of the game. I accept that he isn’t the best to ever do it, but my god, did I love watching him work. It no longer matters where he ultimately ends up on the all time rankings. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CardiacColts said:

I have been thinking about this question for a while now. On paper, yes, I do think this puts Mahomes in front of Peyton. 

That said, I think historical context plays a huge role. In a nut shell, Peyton changed the game, Mahomes evolved it. Peyton forever altered the way the QB position was played. He showed how much more of a coach/playcaller the QB position could be. Mahomes took it to the next level by showing that you don’t necessarily need to compromise between an athletic QB and a passing QB. 

There are levels to this game, as there are in anything else in life. As the game, and specifically the position evolves, and as rules continue to evolve to favor offense in general, the league is primed to see breakout performers at every offensive position early in their careers over the next couple decades. Records eventually topple. 

But at the end of the day, until the end of time, Peyton belongs in every conversation involving football and the evolution of the game, forever. He is an architect of the game. I accept that he isn’t the best to ever do it, but my god, did I love watching him work. It no longer matters where he ultimately ends up on the all time rankings. 

This is a great post. Well written. :thmup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CardiacColts said:

I Like It Good Job GIF- Not too bad.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

If anyone was to surpass Manning, I'm OK with it being Maholmes.  I like the player and the guy.   He is as humble as can be for a QB with his success. 

I think he isnt humble and he is a bit of a whiner actually. 

Remember that offensive offsides call against the chiefs vs the bills (which the guy absolutely 100% was offsides, on offense.... like it wasn't even close), and Mahomes absolutely threw his toys out of the pram and blased the officials during the game and after, despite it clearly being the right call?

Then the altercation with Justin Tucker before the Ravens game, totally unecessary.

Mahomes thinks he's bigger and more important than everyone else, and it's starting to show through. 

I personally think he is a smug and smarmy little baby man and while I dont think he is overrated, because he is ridiculously good at football, I don't like him as a person from what ive seen at all. As a person outside of that, I cant really say because I obviously don't know him personally, he might be a good dude overall, but I just dont buy the narrative that he is humble and a total saint.

39 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Remember that offensive offsides call against the chiefs vs the bills (which the guy absolutely 100% was offsides, on offense.... like it wasn't even close), and Mahomes absolutely threw his toys out of the pram and blased the officials during the game and after, despite it clearly being the right call?

Then the altercation with Justin Tucker before the Ravens game, totally unecessary.

Mahomes thinks he's bigger and more important than everyone else, and it's starting to show through. 

I personally think he is a smug and smarmy little baby man and while I dont think he is overrated, because he is ridiculously good at football, I don't like him as a person from what ive seen at all. As a person outside of that, I cant really say because I obviously don't know him personally, he might be a good dude overall, but I just dont buy the narrative that he is humble and a total saint.

Justin Tucker was stretching and had his equipment in the end zone on the Chiefs side of the field during warmup. Thats 100% asking to get your stuff thrown

• Like 1

I would say no. If Mahomes’ career ends after a SB victory and then compared to Peyton’s career 5-10yrs down the road it’s not enough.  Definitely on a historical start to his career and has been a joy to witness. Things change fast in the NFL so going to wait and see what happens the next 5-8 years. Could be his last appearance or he may have more.  

21 hours ago, runthepost said:

Title is a followed. Would Mahomes move past Peyton in the all time QB ladder if he wins the big game this year?

Depends on the metrics. Mahomes is great, but has he revolutionized or changed the way the position is played? No I don’t think so. Mahomes can win 8 rings, but he hasn’t and won’t revolutionize the game.  Manning didn’t beat you with physical traits, he beat you mentally. That takes more awareness and knowledge than most will ever have. 

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

In other words, he’s human. Everyone gets frustrated at some point in time in their lives. God d@@$$$ Donald, said Peyton and his tiff with his OL, remember?

No one gets to that level of winning without a supreme level of confidence and ego, that to the outside world always projects as cockiness. If I’m that good, I’d probably be cockier. So far, overall, he’s managed his image well on that projection front but no one is looking for a Saint, that’s for sure. :) 

Rules are even more favorable with those bloated QB contracts, still a mystery to me why more go for hits than to strip the ball from QB like the Freeney and Mathis days. So hits equate to flags - Brady, Josh Allen, Mahomes, Burrow etc., everyone asking for it nowadays 

• Like 1

You mean in an era when playing QB/WR means you hardly get tackled? He is good, but i don't see him as one of the best, simply because they are playing a different game now, i think a fair question is how good would payton/Brady/Marino/Montana be in the modern NFL. 

30 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

You mean in an era when playing QB/WR means you hardly get tackled? He is good, but i don't see him as one of the best, simply because they are playing a different game now, i think a fair question is how good would payton/Brady/Marino/Montana be in the modern NFL. 

1. It’s Peyton.  I am not a big spelling guy but when it comes to the most famous guy in franchise history that’s one Colts fans shouldn’t mess up.

2.  Brady was playing in the modern NFL just two years ago.

3.  Modern NFL or not other QBs can’t do what Mahomes does and they play by the same rules.  He’s good and it’s not just because of different rules.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, stitches said:

Unpopular opinion, especially on a Colts forum - he already is viewed as better all time QB than Peyton... and it's probably justified, especially when you consider he still has half his career ahead of him :dunno:

Yeah this forum has the least likely people in the world to agree that its true.

If this were on nfl reddit right now there would already be a lot of people saying that its already happened and even more would agree if he wins the next one

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Nonsense. Brady and Peyton played half their careers in the same era. 

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

1. It’s Peyton.  I am not a big spelling guy but when it comes to the most famous guy in franchise history that’s one Colts fans shouldn’t mess up.

2.  Brady was playing in the modern NFL just two years ago.

3.  Modern NFL or not other QBs can’t do what Mahomes does and they play by the same rules.  He’s good and it’s not just because of different rules.

Correct, and what was Brady's record during that time head to head? 2-0 vs mahomes? 

Modern NFL has changed the game a whole lot for a QB, but I also see one could have that same argument throughout NFL history, as the game evolved, I do think its a fascinating question though, who would be the best QB in nfl history if they all played in one specific era of Scheme/Rules... but they didn't, and they won't, Mahomes is Good no doubt, but potentially the greatest Ever, Nah.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Depends on the metrics. Mahomes is great, but has he revolutionized or changed the way the position is played? No I don’t think so. Mahomes can win 8 rings, but he hasn’t and won’t revolutionize the game.  Manning didn’t beat you with physical traits, he beat you mentally. That takes more awareness and knowledge than most will ever have. 

If the metric is revolutionary play, then he isn't better. But I'm not so sure that is the metric. 

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Yeah this forum has the least likely people in the world to agree that its true.

If this were on nfl reddit right now there would already be a lot of people saying that its already happened and even more would agree if he wins the next one

The problem with sites like NFL Reddit, Youtube, Yahoo, and when you could post on ESPN, half the people that post on those sites are either trolls, prisoner of the moment people, or are 30 years old or younger. Some of the posts I have read on those sites are baffling when it comes to talking about Football or Basketball. The same people that post on those sites will bash Mahomes if he loses next week and say he choked.

Of course you are going to have some biased people toward Manning in here because it is a Colts website, in saying that, it is very justified to say that Manning should still rank higher than Mahomes as of now. Let's assume Mahomes wins the SB this season, it still isn't enough for him to pass Manning when you factor in Manning has won 2 (it would be 3-2 Mahomes there), been to the same amount of SBs = 4-4, but he has 5 League MVPs to Mahomes 2. Statistically, Manning still holds the record for most Yards and TDs in a season as well and they are playing 17 games now, not 16. Mahomes has had 3 seasons (2021-2023) where it has been a 17 games season and still hasn't beat Manning's records which was set back in 2013.

• Like 1