Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shaq Leonard blasts the colts

Restinpeacesweetchloe

22 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

So true. People are talking about it like he made some huge play when he basically just walked into the sack because the PHI DL forced the QB right into him. At least that's how I remember it when it happened. He also made a TFL unblocked too. Somehow this is getting blown up into him having a great game.

those were his two “big” plays that I saw him make. Too many people look at meaningless stats like tackles. I saw 3 unassisted tackles, the 2 mentioned here and the other was him being blocked and the rb running into both of them. 

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

It’s business and reality.  Many production-based firms release people when they slow down - for any number of reasons.  It’s not “talking them down.”

I understand this. We are sitting hairs here. 

Leonard is simply motivated after being dumped by the Colts. 

To him, it is "talking them down" or bad about them. 

They didn't believe in him, they don't value him like he thinks he should or wants to be valued. It's that simple. 

18 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I understand this. We are sitting hairs here. 

Leonard is simply motivated after being dumped by the Colts. 

To him, it is "talking them down" or bad about them. 

They didn't believe in him, they don't value him like he thinks he should or wants to be valued. It's that simple. 

They believed in him enough to make him a very rich man.   When he could no longer earn their continued belief … time to cut their losses.  Best of luck to him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Oke had a really good season as a WILL last year in Bradley's scheme

this is true. It honestly seems like a lifetime ago for me, as last year was a brutally long year for more reasons than just the colts. He played fast and long last year. Was happy for him to find a good fit, although the giants had a really bad year for where I thought they might be. 

Of course, he blasts the Colts.

He CLEARLY did not play anywhere near the level he previously has.

He CLEARLY was running around blocks.

He CLEARLY made 90% of his tackles downfield.

He CLEARLY did not cause any turnovers.

He CLEARLY was being outplayed by Speed and Zaire - and in a short period of time even by Ronnie Harrison.

He CLEARLY made his thoughts public many times prior to being released.

He CLEARLY was not the team captain and teammate he once was - adversity typically brings out people's true colors.

He CLEARLY was being paid too much for the production he was showing.

He CLEARLY is only playing in Philly because the normal starters are hurt.

He Clearly was not viewed as a sure-fire difference maker as nobody scooped him up immediately upon his release.

He CLEARLY is bitter that he was cut.

He CLEARLY is in his feelings as I'm sure we all would be if we were cut, however, he has not taken the high road and just accepted it for what it was - instead choosing to air his dirty laundry on social media (again).

Having injured my back (from being tossed out of a helicopter) and understanding that the injury 'started' there for me but did not really worsen until a bit later in life I can understand both sides of the coin when it comes to the timing of his original back injury in week 14 of 2020. He signed his extension in the preseason of 2021 and played every game in 2021 and going to the Pro Bowl (again). 

It wasn't until 2022 when he completely fell apart. And was a shell of his former self in 2023 prior to his release. The NFL is a business, and the new HC has nothing tying him to that player and contract, so away he went. 

I wish him the best as a fan, but I think he is simply another great player with a short career based on injuries. It happens. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Superman said:

Meh. Formerly great player gets cut by his team, and uses it as motivation. Most professional athletes walk around with a giant chip on their shoulder anyway. I don't care about this one bit.

I actually wish the Colts had been more vocal about why they cut him. I'm frustrated by how little information we got about the decision.

True, but the Colts have still paid him very good money even this year that will secure him and his family for years to come so maybe he should just be grateful for what life have brought him so far and let his play on the field talk for him if he feels entitled to more. But whatever, I gues…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Of course, he blasts the Colts.

He CLEARLY did not play anywhere near the level he previously has.

He CLEARLY was running around blocks.

He CLEARLY made 90% of his tackles downfield.

He CLEARLY did not cause any turnovers.

He CLEARLY was being outplayed by Speed and Zaire - and in a short period of time even by Ronnie Harrison.

He CLEARLY made his thoughts public many times prior to being released.

He CLEARLY was not the team captain and teammate he once was - adversity typically brings out people's true colors.

He CLEARLY was being paid too much for the production he was showing.

He CLEARLY is only playing in Philly because the normal starters are hurt.

He Clearly was not viewed as a sure-fire difference maker as nobody scooped him up immediately upon his release.

He CLEARLY is bitter that he was cut.

He CLEARLY is in his feelings as I'm sure we all would be if we were cut, however, he has not taken the high road and just accepted it for what it was - instead choosing to air his dirty laundry on social media (again).

Having injured my back (from being tossed out of a helicopter) and understanding that the injury 'started' there for me but did not really worsen until a bit later in life I can understand both sides of the coin when it comes to the timing of his original back injury in week 14 of 2020. He signed his extension in the preseason of 2021 and played every game in 2021 and going to the Pro Bowl (again). 

It wasn't until 2022 when he completely fell apart. And was a shell of his former self in 2023 prior to his release. The NFL is a business, and the new HC has nothing tying him to that player and contract, so away he went. 

I wish him the best as a fan, but I think he is simply another great player with a short career based on injuries. It happens. 

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

True, but the Colts have still paid him very good money even this year that will secure him and his family for years to come so maybe he should just be grateful for what life have brought him so far and let his play on the field talk for him if he feels entitled to more. But whatever, I gues…

I don't think he owes the Colts anything -- loyalty, gratitude, etc. They paid him in exchange for his play, not out of the kindness of their hearts. There are feelings and personal relationships involved, but the bottom line is about business. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think he owes the Colts anything -- loyalty, gratitude, etc. They paid him in exchange for his play, not out of the kindness of their hearts. There are feelings and personal relationships involved, but the bottom line is about business. 

I don't think the Colts owe him anything -- loyalty, gratitude, etc. He played in exchange for money, not out of the kindness of his heart. There are feelings and personal relationships involved, but the bottom line is about business. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

They believed in him enough to make him a very rich man.   When he could no longer earn their continued belief … time to cut their losses.  Best of luck to him.

Yeah, of course. They married him and now they divorced him. Not saying the divorce wasn't warranted. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lester said:

I don't think the Colts owe him anything -- loyalty, gratitude, etc. He played in exchange for money, not out of the kindness of his heart. There are feelings and personal relationships involved, but the bottom line is about business. 

No one thinks the Colts owe him anything. 

On 12/26/2023 at 9:14 PM, Indyfan4life said:

I’m sure at one point or another, everyone here has said something bad about a previous employer of theirs. So let’s not cast stones here and act holier than thou because he still thinks there is improvements he can make and return to his previous form. 

If anyone here says they’ve never badmouthed a previous employer or boss, then you’re full of %. 

Appreciate the morality lesson Mrs Leonard.

• Like 1

Leonard isn't the first player to criticize his former team and he won't be the last.  He thinks that the Colts gave up on him when he still had something to prove. Maybe the Colts were too quick in letting him go, maybe not. I hope that he finds success with the Eagles or elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 8:10 PM, GoColts8818 said:

He’s doing what he’s done all his career taking motivation from those that didn’t believe in him.  Also, he’s right the Colts did write him off, yes you can say they were justified to do so but they did.  That’s life in the NFL and frankly most players that feel their old team gave up on them use that as fuel at their next stop.  Nothing to see here IMO.

Things may have been different IF he could play more than a couple of games a year, or even not play at all. Big money for not much. 

I saw this last week and besides being disappointed, I was also perplexed. He never struck me as the type to talk the way he did after 1 game. He had his first “okay” game since 2022 and was talking like he was first in votes for comeback player of the year. Then the very next game, he had a whopping 2 solo tackles and 5 total. 

Im just confused as to why the team that he said was straight up with him at the end and did him a solid by releasing him when they did, is suddenly being accused of talking down on him. They’ve got a thank you Shaq banner on the side of the stadium. He seems really insecure and almost in denial about his own level of ability.

• Like 1

This has always been my opinion of him....overrated . Solid for sure, but he liked to play the underdog card . That got old real quick. Even if he did not have the injuries, I don't think he would ever have made elite status. Which in  his mind he thought he was. He had flashes of brilliance throughout his carrier , but it was never consistent. Does not surprise me he comes out and does this. Cant point the finger at yourself! Gotta blame someone else for your shortcomings. Never sold on the hype he got.

• Like 1

My wife ordered me a 53 jersey a couple of years ago and I told her to cancel and order 28 instead.

Red flags went up in my mind when Leonard referred to himself in the third person. Too much talk about himself and what people thought of him. Too much victim mentality as one poster mentioned. 
    He was never effective, getting off his blocks. He was great at creating turnovers but he was a liability for the Colts this year.

Best of luck to him but I’m glad he’s gone.

• Like 3

He got pulled out of the game against Arizona he was playing so badly.  He really should learn to not talk prematurely.  As said earlier I was sad to see him go but now he’s wearing me out.  

save your self respect and retire after this year.  You’ve made enough money to never work again if you’re smart about it. 

43 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

He got pulled out of the game against Arizona he was playing so badly.  He really should learn to not talk prematurely.  As said earlier I was sad to see him go but now he’s wearing me out.  

save your self respect and retire after this year.  You’ve made enough money to never work again if you’re smart about it. 

I had the game on while I was taping it and doing something else. One of the cardinals touchdowns was the runner running right through Leonard’s tackle and into the end zone. He needs to just retire. I really think he got hurt and since he has made a large amount of guaranteed money, he isn’t willing to play the same way he used to. Most of us would probably do the same, but keep your mouth shut about the people that gave you that opportunity!

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 7:32 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is a little ridiculous. Colts did not do this. Take some accountability.  Maybe he wasn’t the leader we thought and more of the problem.

I'm truly saddened by these remarks by Shaq Leonard!!

I wish he and his family nothing but the best moving forward to the next chapters of their lives!!

I DO NOT think that the Colts "talked down on my name" - as Shaq accuses.

Instead - I think that the team had to make a decision (for various reasons).

They had Shaq & his family at the following home game so that the fans could thank him for his efforts for our team!!

They put a sign on his banner on Lucas Oil Stadium thanking him!!

The business part of the NFL sometimes hurts - for both players & fans - but - like any other aspect of our society - business always trumps emotions!!

Not real "classy" for him to make these remarks about a team that paid him all that guaranteed money when he was injured. Really a pretty bad move by the Colts and Leonard gave them pretty much nothing for those 10's of millions. Played on a level of a  PS player. I always thought a lot of him but this "chip on my shoulder " stuff is a little "worn out" ih this case. Colts certainly didn't do him any injustice and hopefully he will keep his mouth shut in the event he gets another sack where he was unblocked.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/1/17/24041292/this-might-be-the-end-of-the-line-for-former-colt-shaquille-leonard

This might be the end of the line for former Colt Shaquille Leonard

...The final nail was the Eagles playoff game in which he did not see the field. Not for a snap. Essentially, being a healthy scratch is a horrible sign for one’s playing days...

• Thanks 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/1/17/24041292/this-might-be-the-end-of-the-line-for-former-colt-shaquille-leonard

This might be the end of the line for former Colt Shaquille Leonard

...The final nail was the Eagles playoff game in which he did not see the field. Not for a snap. Essentially, being a healthy scratch is a horrible sign for one’s playing days...

He quickly drew the ire of Eagles fans as well 

Not that that is a hard thing to do. Lol.

On 1/9/2024 at 4:13 PM, dw49 said:

Not real "classy" for him to make these remarks about a team that paid him all that guaranteed money when he was injured. Really a pretty bad move by the Colts and Leonard gave them pretty much nothing for those 10's of millions. Played on a level of a  PS player. I always thought a lot of him but this "chip on my shoulder " stuff is a little "worn out" ih this case. Colts certainly didn't do him any injustice and hopefully he will keep his mouth shut in the event he gets another sack where he was unblocked.

He signed the contract almost a full season before he was injured.  He was all pro the season after signing the contract