Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Vs Patriots: end of the rivalry?

John Waylon

Another big game for us this week. I don’t care if we lose all the rest of them, but this one is a must-win for me emotionally. 

I also think this game is likely the last gasp of the rivalry. I don’t think Bill gets another season at the helm, and for me once he’s gone the rivalry is as well. He’s the only thing left from the days of the real rivalry, and I’ll never not want to win against him. 

It’s definitely not been the same as it used to be, but I’ve still never wanted to lose to the Pats with BB. Once he’s gone the Patriots finally go back to being just some other team we have to face from time to time. 

We won’t have the loudest laugh, but I’d sure like to have the last one. 

• Like 5

I was at that 27-17 game with JT clinching the game with that winning TD run that had the whole crowd going close to Christmas 2021. Mac Jones picked off, and I hope this time they cover Hunter Henry. Would be nice if Leonard had flash backs of his INT vs Mac Jones and gets back in the INT column this game. 

Yeah, I want to bury them, like a lot of you. Digging The Rock GIF by WWE

• Like 2

I was there the night of 4th and 2. I had my coat gathered and ready to go when Maroney put the ball on the floor. 

When we stopped them on their last 3rd down the place came unglued. Then someone shouted “they’re going for it” and I’ve never felt anything like that quick mood change in my life. There was a literal chill in the air. 

When Reggie caught the score I sat down and cried.

I wish deflategate had meant more, but they could have played that game with bowling balls and the result would have been the same. But still, it was yet another example of some of the shenanigans going on with that team. 

Belichick has always disliked the Colts in his time in New England and he always gave us nothing but reason to hate him. He was as engrained in the rivalry as Manning and Brady. 

I still dislike kraft. He’s a slimeball old perv but he’s the least formidable of the bunch and I don’t care what happens to his team now, I have no emotional attachment left. 

Even if they go the total dumpster fire route and do something silly like replace Belichick with McDaniels I’ll only watch it with morbid curiosity. They’ll just be another team. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Another big game for us this week. I don’t care if we lose all the rest of them, but this one is a must-win for me emotionally. 

I also think this game is likely the last gasp of the rivalry. I don’t think Bill gets another season at the helm, and for me once he’s gone the rivalry is as well. He’s the only thing left from the days of the real rivalry, and I’ll never not want to win against him. 

It’s definitely not been the same as it used to be, but I’ve still never wanted to lose to the Pats with BB. Once he’s gone the Patriots finally go back to being just some other team we have to face from time to time. 

We won’t have the loudest laugh, but I’d sure like to have the last one. 

Nope, I’ve hated them since they beat us at the Hoosier Dome in Dec 1984… it’ll remain that way forever

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

No Brady.

No Manning.

No rivalry.

I still dislike them, but the rivalry ended once Peyton left town.  Just my .02

Let's crush the Pats!

The way they crushed luck I always rout for us to destroy  the patriots  and steelers

• Like 2

I think BB does comeback for '24. 

The rivalry may not be as years past but I think it will rekindle in the near future with AR5 as the Colts QB and the pats tanking for Caleb Williams.

Whether it will be AR5 vs Caleb or Drake Maye or some other college hot shot the rivalry, I think, will again be renewed but doubt it ever.will be what it was with .Manning/Brady. 

• Like 1

For me this rivalry goes back to 1987. Way before Peyton vs Brady/BB. The Patriots were very good back in 1985, 1986, 1987. They went to the SB in 1985 and won the AFC East in 1986. In 1987 we were trying to make a name for ourselves. We had a terrible team our 1st 3 years in Indy from 1984-1986. We got Dickerson in a trade in 1987 and had a new firey coach in Ron Meyer. The 2 teams split in the Regular season. Going into the last game of the season we were 8-6, they were 7-7. Had we lost to Tampa Bay and had they beat the Dolphins, they would have won the Division. They had a better Division record. Luckily we beat Tampa Bay because they did beat the Dolphins which was on Monday Night. They were playing for nothing at that point and still won. We ended up 9-6, they finished 8-7. The 2 teams hated each other. For me that is where it begin, when we eliminated them on the final Sunday in 1987.

Of course we had the Peyton vs Brady/BB days. As a Colt we all remember when Peyton's Colts beat Brady and BBs Patriots in the 2006 Championship Game. Colts win on to win the SB. We all remember the 4th and 2 game in 2009 as well. I was at that game, Colts win 35-34 to go to 9-0 and pretty much put a strangle hold on HFA.

I don't even want to go into Deflategate. The 2014 AFC Championship Game was a debacle vs them. Luck couldn't do much and they cheated.

It is always fun beating BB, regardless of what the 2 teams makeup are.

• Like 1

They were a division rival when I became a Colts fan, so I've had a dislike for them for a long time.

I only knew one Pats fan in the county, and he was legit, because he had been wearing their colors since the Grogan years.

I hope they stay irrelevant long enough, for the band wagon fans to jump to another team, so I don't have to see Pats bumper stickers on vehicles in Southern Indiana.

LJPalm"s opinion matches mine though. Doubt we ever have both teams dominant enough at the same time to equal the Manning/Brady years rivalry.

• Like 1

We have beat them once since like 2009 and they won three super bowls in that time.

Its best to not call it a rivalry for us because they clearly won and i wouldnt want to give their fans that satisfaction.  It wasnt a friendly rivalry either, they were a bunch of trolling haters after deflate gate especially and so were we.

Lets think of them as just another team in the league now, thats all they are at the moment and same is true for us

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Hmmm...I remember one particular very important game at the Dome where we did beat them....Jan 2006( I was there)

Greatest Game of all time at the Dome! My 3 young sons were with me there to see the game of a lifetime! Hopefully a day will come soon to relive the Glory Days!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

We have beat them once since like 2009 and they won three super bowls in that time.

Its best to not call it a rivalry for us because they clearly won and i wouldnt want to give their fans that satisfaction.  It wasnt a friendly rivalry either, they were a bunch of trolling haters after deflate gate especially and so were we.

Lets think of them as just another team in the league now, thats all they are at the moment and same is true for us

Yes and no. One could say yes, because we have only beat them once since 2009. One can say no, because of the past we have had with them which dates back to the 80's. We used to be in the same division as them before the AFC South was created. Then of course Peyton vs Brady/BB, then Deflategate. Would you consider the Packers/Bears a rivalry? Some call that the best rivalry in football and the Packers have dominated them for 30 years for the most part. Packers and Bears fans both circle that on their calendar every year. To me the Pats are a rivalry regardless. 

What is great is, our future looks a lot brighter than the Pats future. We have our young Coach in place and young QB in place. I haven't been over to any Pats sites in a while but they have to be hating football about now. As much as people in here think we are in a bad situation, it is nowhere near what they are dealing with. Mac Jones stinks and BB is washed up as the game has passed him by. They haven't been relevant since Brady was there back in 2019. BB is 27-32 without Brady and no playoff wins from 2020-2023.

• Like 1

Just now, BlackTiger said:

They are probably hoping for a qb in the draft, if we beat them it might send the fan base into full blown tank mode

This is true. As of now, I am not sure Caleb Williams will be a great pro. Everytime he has faced a good team this year, he has lost this year. Having said that, Drake Maye, Michael Pennix, and Bo Nix all look good.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Barring some serious issue of personal misconduct — BB is untouchable.  IMO

Rumors are swirling around saying Kraft is ready for the full reset. Now these are just rumors, but with the downward trend the Patriots have has since Bradys departure its not that unbelievable. Firing him after a Colts loss would be poetic justice.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KB said:

Rumors are swirling around saying Kraft is ready for the full reset. Now these are just rumors, but with the downward trend the Patriots have has since Bradys departure its not that unbelievable. Firing him after a Colts loss would be poetic justice.

Wouldn't that be a perfect Sunday, we win, go into the Bye at 5-5, and BB gets fired. I will remember that Sunday and win for a while.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KB said:

Also a rumor that he would resurface in Washington.  

I just don’t see how you could fire the best head coach (arguably) in NFL history mid season.  Thats disrespectful and would be bad karma.  

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Also a rumor that he would resurface in Washington.  

I just don’t see how you could fire the best head coach (arguably) in NFL history mid season.  Thats disrespectful and would be bad karma.  

They probably won't fire him if we do beat them but it would be awesome if they did haha . Colts send BB packing would be the headline.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wouldn't that be a perfect Sunday, we win, go into the Bye at 5-5, and BB gets fired. I will remember that Sunday and win for a while.

TBH, I’ll be surprised if we win.  Stack the box, double MPJ, and the Colts offense is done.  Shane better have a TE heavy passing scheme ready.  

Except for Buck and Kenny, the defense is below average.   Without Grove they can hardly stop the run and can be thrown on to the outside.   

I’m hoping for a win but don’t expect it.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They may be tanking for Caleb Williams secretly and will let BB have a shot with him. I think Caleb will be good, but great, not sure. Michael Pennix looks like the best QB in the nation to me.

Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels, Maye, Sanders, McCarthy…

No need to tank, there’s a lot of really good prospects.   

Would this board freak out if we took one with our first?

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels, Maye, Sanders, McCarthy…

No need to tank, there’s a lot of really good prospects.   

Would this board freak out if we took one with our first?

I would almost take Penix if he's there just for insurance. Take a Corner in round 2, an edge in round 3. I do believe in AR but having someone like Penix there or even Nix would ease my mind if AR got injured again. I think both those QB's will be better than Mustache. 

• Like 1