Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Name Jeff Saturday Interim Head Coach

AKB

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off the dome I am going to make a baseball reference first in that Catchers usually make great MLB Managers as they saw the game from a different lense.....I kind of see how that would corollate to a Center (especially one as decorated as our new coach) and how they saw the whole field and blocking schemes.

The flip side is that the passing game may be foreign to him, BUT it will also likely require another hire or promotion for an ACTUAL offensive coordinator. That may be the hidden gem in this move if they bring in someone with some imagination and passion for the game.

Beyond the box score stuff this is a familiar face who performed at a high level for this franchise so from a PR perspective it could go over well in the interim.  If he turns things around great, he may get hired for real......if he does not, then it was a homerun swing anyways and he can easily be replaced because it's an audition with ZERO pressure to succeed!

Managing the game and a new voice in the locker room may level out the ship and stop the internal bleeding.....

9 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Y'all are never happy no matter what.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be shocked that Irsay decided to bring in an ex-player with zero college or NFL coaching experience to be the interim HC instead of promoting an interim HC from within like almost every team does when they fire a HC mid-season. So not only did they look outside, they brought in someone that, on paper, is wholly unqualified for the position he was just given.

If I'm any of the ex-players on our coaching staff, I would feel some kind of way that I've been busting my tail as a position coach/asst working my way through the ranks and Saturday walks in off the street and gets handed the reigns. I like Saturday, but I also think he's getting this shot solely because of his relationship with Jim, not his credentials or ability as a coach. I have a problem with that, I imagine a number of the players probably have a problem with it, and I can almost guarantee some of the coaches do too.

I could absolutely be wrong, the team rallies around Saturday, and he's a rousing success as a HC, but at this point in time, I think it's a disrespectful move that won't sit well with a lost of folks in the organization.

40 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This actually makes zero sense. He doesnt need to be HC to do that. 

We dont know if Ballard was on board with this or not. Frank had the same kind of ties with Irsay before his hiring as well. This is just how things work. The guys come together to find solutions. Former relationships always play a part in that.

I look at it like this.....What is the biggest thing Jeff Saturday provides off the street with zero coaching experience?

Knowledge of OL play and protections. He made those calls when he was a player and was excellent at his job. He knows that stuff in and out. 

What is the biggest issue facing this team rn? Protection. 

Hes being given a chance to fix this OL, and he must have thought he could do that. Jim Irsay must feel like the OL play is the biggest issue holding the team back. I happen to agree with that. 

If this announcement was Manning instead of Saturday, pretty much every person crying about being a laughing stock right now would be out planning the parade instead. And Manning has even less coaching experience than Jeff. 

5 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Maybe Bubba and Gus want to keep the success of their units going, and see their stock rise as future HC somewhere,  as opposed to being  interim HC and having their stock fall. 

Great point.  If he could go back, I'm guessing Ventuti would turn down the opportunity to be interim of a dumpster fire.

3 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Because this has the 'interim' qualifier to it, did Irsay sidestep the Rooney Rule or did he just violate it?

I wonder if this will be brought up in the media...

Rooney rule does not apply to interim. But it will apply once the season is over and must be met before a permanent HC is hired.

Saturday is being brought in for 1 reason and that is to get a high draft pick, if he wanted a head coaching job he would have been working his way thru the system already. If Bradley or Fox was interviewed they were probably asked how many games left were winnable and they gave the wrong answer. Just hope Saturday doesn't embarrass himself to bad because he will be highly scrutinized by the press. 

I'm a lifelong fan; been following since 1970.

Gotta say, this feels like Jim is turning into his dad. And that's not a good thing.

He put his foot into the Wentz deal and we all know he was the one who benched Ryan for Sam.

I'm beginning to feel like the meddling is going to lead to 20 years of plague and famine. anyone remember the 80s?

And there are no Peyton's waiting out there to turn us around...

feels like a dark day...

14 minutes ago, Shive said:

If I'm any of the ex-players on our coaching staff, I would feel some kind of way that I've been busting my tail as a position coach/asst working my way through the ranks and Saturday walks in off the street and gets handed the reigns. I like Saturday, but I also think he's getting this shot solely because of his relationship with Jim, not his credentials or ability as a coach. I have a problem with that, I imagine a number of the players probably have a problem with it, and I can almost guarantee some of the coaches do too.

I'm assuming that Irsay is questioning the competence of everyone in the organization at this point...not trusting much that is said.  So he goes outside of it.

Saturday isn't going to be installing game plans or calling plays, IMO....unless Irsay/Ballard have been feeding him the offensive scheme for weeks/ months already.

Hmmm...there's an angle...Saturday already knows more about the Colts than we know, and Irsay was just waiting to drop the hammer on Reich at the point where Saturday was ready.  I like that conspiracy theory......

Saturday seems like an intelligent guy that knows a lot about football. I hope he knows a lot about football players and how they come together as a team to win. Yes, it is a very interesting move - and risky. I kinda like it, at least for now.

I wish Jeff all the luck and success in this position. He'll need it!

18 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to be shocked that Irsay decided to bring in an ex-player with zero college or NFL coaching experience to be the interim HC instead of promoting an interim HC from within like almost every team does when they fire a HC mid-season. So not only did they look outside, they brought in someone that, on paper, is wholly unqualified for the position he was just given.

I could absolutely be wrong, the team rallies around Saturday, and he's a rousing success as a HC, but at this point in time, I think it's a disrespectful move that won't sit well with a lost of folks in the organization.

Well, since all of these coaches are part of the sinking ship - whether they earned it or not they are a part of it - then if they don't like it and express their dissatisfaction they are free to go work somewhere else.  This wasn't a move to make anyone feel good or comfortable about their job. This is to shake things up.  Sometimes it just works out that way.  

34 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Exactly. This team could go undefeated and win the Super Bowl, and there’d still be complaints. 

Exactly. That's fans' 1×1.

Anyway, I'm OK with naming Jeff Saturday.

Firing Reich... Well I don't think it makes any difference, it's only about accountability and consequencies. Lackluster performance like last Sunday (and this season so far) must have consequences.

GO COLTS! Every given Sunday!

21 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

This actually makes zero sense. He doesnt need to be HC to do that. 

We dont know if Ballard was on board with this or not. Frank had the same kind of ties with Irsay before his hiring as well. This is just how things work. The guys come together to find solutions. Former relationships always play a part in that.

I look at it like this.....What is the biggest thing Jeff Saturday provides off the street with zero coaching experience?

Knowledge of OL play and protections. He made those calls when he was a player and was excellent at his job. He knows that stuff in and out. 

What is the biggest issue facing this team rn? Protection. 

Hes being given a chance to fix this OL, and he must have thought he could do that. Jim Irsay must feel like the OL play is the biggest issue holding the team back. I happen to agree with that. 

I agree, make him the O-line coach instead. This is just bizarre. Everyone on this board that is pretending this is some kind of shrewd move would have laughed a poster off the forum if they would have suggested this before Reich was fired this morning. A head coach can hire an offensive coordinator right? Any chance Saturday can convince Manning to be his interim OC? Or maybe Ballard can make Manning his interim GM. Would this be any more bizarre than what we have already seen today?

46 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Exactly. This team could go undefeated and win the Super Bowl, and there’d still be complaints. 

And this team could lose the rest of the games this season and Ballard apologists would still be out in force for their guy.

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Better tell this to Ian Rappaport. He was already fueling the fire on NFLN

They can fuel the fire all they want. Personally I don’t care for the rule myself. I get it, I understand it, but do I think it actually helps the problem they want to solve…no. If anything I believe it makes it worse. Minority candidates getting interviews only to satisfy a rule the league made….many of them not actually being interviewed “seriously” just being abused to meet the rule standards.

I think the owners should do whatever they want to do whatever they feel is best for their organization. Doesn’t mean I don’t wish more minorities were seriously considered. 

2 minutes ago, Never_Quit said:

Owners meddling like this NEVER works.

Irsay is a *.

This was Bubba Ventrone's job. 

I've always thought that Irsay's heart was in the right place, even if his head wasn't. I've been in a position to choose between a gradual cultural shift (TQM) in a business, and radical re-engineering (BPR). Jim Irsay chose the BPR route. I applaud this effort. The question is "from what, to what?" I think this is the question Irsay doesn't know, and Saturday is there to find out. That's why Bubba Ventrone wasn't chosen.

Archived