Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Name Jeff Saturday Interim Head Coach

AKB

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offensively he’s worked with Peyton knows the Oline..definitely left field but who else you guys want on the fly that hasn’t been FIRED by someone else lol if we magically start putting up points next week while Jeff is leading I don’t want to see no backlash or switch ups on this idea & if he fails he fails we didn’t expect much of him but if he outshines Frank there’s no reason to discredit this hire yet 

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is a interesting thought. Could hold the cards for Ballard.

This.

Don't expect a magical turn around.  Saturday is like a corporate consultant who has been hired to give a brutal assessment of the current situation.  I think everyone is the Colts organization today has been put on notice.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I played football in junior high man. 

Im more of a defensive minded guru, but can put together some great trick plays on offense! I got a bunch of 3x5 cards that I filled with innovative plays when I was bored. I think some of these plays were genius! You cant find any of my plays on Madden either!

B98CE8D1-2494-475C-9F22-15FAAB75E692.jpeg

7 minutes ago, James said:

‪Irsay thinks he has found his Mike Vrabel, when in reality he found his Jim Tomsula. More desperation. Playing on nostalgia to keep fans from total apathy towards the Colts. Smart fans see through this.‬

Or not. Keep buying that merch, keep renewing those season tickets.

Irsay laughing hard.

Vrabel had like 7 seasons of assistant coaching at OSU and the Texans before being hired as a HC.

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

This.

Don't expect a magical turn around.  Saturday is like a corporate consultant who has been hired to give a brutal assessment of the current situation.  I think everyone is the Colts organization today has been put on notice.

Which will make it even more infesting watching Ballard today.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Which will make it even more infesting watching Ballard today.

i dont think ballard is gonna get fired, but i understand why people are saying he should be, or why hes next. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

i dont think manning wants the job

I was only joking of course but if I told you at the beginning of the day that Jeff Saturday was going to be our new coach you would have called me crazy and maybe a few other things yet here we sit............

Just now, philba101 said:

I was only joking of course but if I told you at the beginning of the day that Jeff Saturday was going to be our new coach you would have called me crazy and maybe a few other things yet here we sit............

i really like the hire personally.

7 minutes ago, gspdx said:

This.

Office Space Reaction GIF

This isn't about seeing if Jeff will be the HC going into next year.

It's about seeing who will be the HC (and GM for that matter) moving forward.

I suppose there's an outside shot of it being Jeff, but I wouldn't count on it.

Now, if the issue with the players is accountability because they maybe didn't respect Frank that should change, and play may get better in the short term.

I'm wondering if Hard Knocks created too many celebrities.

Jeff George for OC!!!!!

JK

It's certainly unconventional, but maybe it works out. Look I have no idea how this will turn out, but I will be in front front of my TV cheering for the guys with the horseshoe on their helmets just like every week.

6 minutes ago, gspdx said:

This.

For sure. But I think it's more about damage control. Saturday is a former player who was in charge of the NFLPA, so the players should feel a bit better about him. And he's a Colt great, which helps the fans get on board a bit.

From a strategic standpoint, it's pretty smart. But it's still embarrassing that it has come to this.

2 minutes ago, buccolts said:

This isn't about seeing if Jeff will be the HC going into next year.

It's about seeing who will be the HC (and GM for that matter) moving forward.

I suppose there's an outside shot of it being Jeff, but I wouldn't count on it.

Now, if the issue with the players is accountability because they maybe didn't respect Frank that should change, and play may get better in the short term.

I'm wondering if Hard Knocks created too many celebrities.

Let's just say for a minute that this is true. There are still 8 games left that someone has to game-plan for right?

I love the comments mocking Saturday's credentials for this position. Obviously we can all agree that it's a super unconventional hire but why is that such a bad thing? Some times to achieve greatness you have make some really drastic changes. Think of these things: 

• The position in interim, which really should be a key word for everyone evaluating this. This is ultimately Irsay's chance to have someone he has a lot of trust and faith in provide an evaluation of the current situation. 
  • Jeff Saturday may not have professional coaching experience but the man was in this league for over 12 years and was a fantastic player and leader. He knows football. It's not like he's coming from outside the industry to take over something he knows nothing about. He's played at the highest level and been involved in the professional game for a long time. 
  • A head coach paired with solid coordinators means he doesn't have to be the sole person devising the gameplay. We obviously need a OC which I think is coming or something about that will be announced this evening. Plenty of HC succeed without handling play calling, installs, etc. I'd bet Jeff is more than capable at the leadership aspect of being a HC. 
  • Players respect game and Jeff had a ton of it. He knows what its like to be in that locker room, he knows what its like to be on cruddy teams, he can connect with players and has gone to bat for players. He knows what it takes to win a championship AND HE KNOWS WHAT BEING PREPARED looks like. 

For an interim job I have no qualms about this other than the rightful fact I could see how it's a gut punch to some of the current staff. However, how much do we really care about the current staff is this whole thing is getting blown up anyway? Perhaps one of Jeff's key responsibilities will be evaluating who still has control of their rooms and their strategies. 

Just now, Hark said:

Jeff George for OC!!!!!

JK

It's certainly unconventional, but maybe it works out. Look I have no idea how this will turn out, but I will be in front front of my TV cheering for the guys with the horseshoe on their helmets just like every week.

How about Art Schlicter? He’s had some   Time to put together a gameplan or 2! Get him a couple key bumps and he’s good to go!:thmup:

14 minutes ago, gspdx said:

This.

Could very well be and I think the reason Ballard wasn’t fired today as well is Irsay is trying to decide is it a lack of talent or is it a coaching issue?  There have been several players playing below what was expected of them this year and I think Irsay is trying to figure out why before he makes a decision on Ballard so he’s turning to a guy he trusts and knows what it takes to play in the NFL to tell him.

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Let's just say for a minute that this is true. There are still 8 games left that someone has to game-plan for right?

I'm still wrapping my mind around today's events so far. I'm not able to answer all questions.

Presser at 6

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Bulletin board material, huh!!!

That is what happens when you go from ESPN Analyst to interim HC for PR.

You have to win over the other coaches on staff with "actual" NFL experience. It is not like you can wear your ESPN analyst hat on and game plan with all the position coaches. 

Head of NFL players union at one point, well respected in NFL circles, well respected ESPN analyst is one thing. Sitting there in the locker room, trying to earn the respect of more experienced coaches is another. Hopefully we get through this. 

Archived