Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Name Jeff Saturday Interim Head Coach

AKB

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Saturday isn't going to be installing game plans or calling plays, IMO....unless Irsay/Ballard have been feeding him the offensive scheme for weeks/ months already.

Hmmm...there's an angle...Saturday already knows more about the Colts than we know, and Irsay was just waiting to drop the hammer on Reich at the point where Saturday was ready.  I like that conspiracy theory......

Sometimes I nail it.

As you know, Saturday works for ESPN.  On NFL Live, Dan Orlovsky said that for weeks Saturday has been coming to him picking his brain about offenses, scheme,  QBing, play calling...details that Saturday never talked about much before.

Been bending Dan's ear for WEEKS.

Sam elevated to #2 weeks ago...by Irsay.  Was that the beginning?   

Was Irsay cooking up something weeks ago.  Had is doubts probably since last year.

And didn't clue Ballard in?

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Well according to you and a few others the Colts are trash. If that is the case why would Payton want to come here? 

Check my posting history.  Show me where I’ve said the Colts were trash. I’ve mostly said Frank’s play calling and in game decisions were trash.  I’ve said these rosters have been good enough to at least have 2-3 division titles over the last 6 years.  And that Payton would’ve utilized the offensive talent that we do have more effectively.  I’ve even pushed for Ballard to be kept citing his draft successes to balance out his misses.

That’s my history of posting.  My posts today are more looking at things from Irsay’s vantage point and playing devil’s advocate with the McDaniels game coming up.  And it’s hard for me to find a Ballard move that can counter the McDaniels fiasco.  So Irsay could say even if we got your guy, this loser would’ve had both of you fired by now.  So why should I entrust hiring the next coach to you?  And I can’t come up with a great answer to that question today, seeing what kind of head coach McDaniels has proven himself to be. 

3 hours ago, cjrulli said:

I love the comments mocking Saturday's credentials for this position. Obviously we can all agree that it's a super unconventional hire but why is that such a bad thing? Some times to achieve greatness you have make some really drastic changes. Think of these things: 

• The position in interim, which really should be a key word for everyone evaluating this. This is ultimately Irsay's chance to have someone he has a lot of trust and faith in provide an evaluation of the current situation. 
  • Jeff Saturday may not have professional coaching experience but the man was in this league for over 12 years and was a fantastic player and leader. He knows football. It's not like he's coming from outside the industry to take over something he knows nothing about. He's played at the highest level and been involved in the professional game for a long time. 
  • A head coach paired with solid coordinators means he doesn't have to be the sole person devising the gameplay. We obviously need a OC which I think is coming or something about that will be announced this evening. Plenty of HC succeed without handling play calling, installs, etc. I'd bet Jeff is more than capable at the leadership aspect of being a HC. 
  • Players respect game and Jeff had a ton of it. He knows what its like to be in that locker room, he knows what its like to be on cruddy teams, he can connect with players and has gone to bat for players. He knows what it takes to win a championship AND HE KNOWS WHAT BEING PREPARED looks like. 

For an interim job I have no qualms about this other than the rightful fact I could see how it's a gut punch to some of the current staff. However, how much do we really care about the current staff is this whole thing is getting blown up anyway? Perhaps one of Jeff's key responsibilities will be evaluating who still has control of their rooms and their strategies. 

This scenario happens all the time in other professional sports, especially basketball ...and people question it, but nowhere near the level they are lighting Jim up about.

Who was the first of this current "era" to start the ex player to HC with zero experience coaching craze.....Larry Bird.  

That team was stacked with established vets....unlike this team which has many holes ...but, I think Jeff is probably closer to Bird, than Isiah Thomas in this analogy.

Also like Bird, given the chance, I bet Jeff would attempt to surround himself with talent at the assistant coaching positions he could lean on... 

It's a long shot, but wouldn't Fox or Bradley be as well?

Can somebody post a photo of a clown show as circus in town. What a bad joke of a hire and been through plenty bad ones as fan since 1972. This compares to when Joe Thomas got hired. 

Just now, JColts72 said:

Can somebody post a photo of a clown show as circus in town. What a bad joke of a hire and been through plenty bad ones as fan since 1972. This compares to when Joe Thomas got hired. 

Without the experience.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Has Irsay lost his mind?

explain to us why you think he lost his mind?

cause he hired a HC with no HC experience? why are people acting like this is such a big deal. its an interim gig for a team that sucks. not like he's been handed ownership of the team or something. 

we sucked already. either we keep sucking and get a high draft pick, or we dont suck as much, which means he would've been at least average. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

cause he hired a HC with no HC experience? why are people acting like this is such a big deal. its an interim gig for a team that sucks. not like he's been handed ownership of the team or something. 

we sucked already. either we keep sucking and get a high draft pick, or we dont suck as much, which means he would've been at least average. 

If Saturday is even being thought of as a permanent replacement that is wild. I understand what Irsay is trying to do here in the short term but a guy with no coaching experience to be a permanent coach is just plain weird.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Has Irsay lost his mind?

Has Irsay lost his mind? Maybe, but I doubt it. He may have just realized that he doesn't really know what is going on within his organization, the Colts. The coaching trees in the NFL are a highly connected network - good old boys. Within that network is a pecking order. Bringing in a player - not in the coaching pecking order - may be an attempt to find out what's really going on with the players (another secretive organization with its own pecking order). Someone that everyone can respect (not that they will respect).

Traditional chains of command and organizational hierarchies insulate top management and owners from reality. Then reality hits, and everyone is caught off guard.

Does this sound familiar?

17 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Check my posting history.  Show me where I’ve said the Colts were trash. I’ve mostly said Frank’s play calling and in game decisions were trash.  I’ve said these rosters have been good enough to at least have 2-3 division titles over the last 6 years.  And that Payton would’ve utilized the offensive talent that we do have more effectively.  I’ve even pushed for Ballard to be kept citing his draft successes to balance out his misses.

That’s my history of posting.  My posts today are more looking at things from Irsay’s vantage point and playing devil’s advocate with the McDaniels game coming up.  And it’s hard for me to find a Ballard move that can counter the McDaniels fiasco.  So Irsay could say even if we got your guy, this loser would’ve had both of you fired by now.  So why should I entrust hiring the next coach to you?  And I can’t come up with a great answer to that question today, seeing what kind of head coach McDaniels has proven himself to be. 

You take what Irsay said and think it's not just owner/coach speak? Of course he is going to build his hires up. What else he supposed to say?

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Has Irsay lost his mind?

That's what Orlovsky also said.  That Saturday would not take the job unless he thought he had a chance of it being long term.

Its just his opinion, but this may not be intended to be a place-holder thing.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Saturday is even being thought of as a permanent replacement that is wild. I understand what Irsay is trying to do here in the short term but a guy with no coaching experience to be a permanent coach is just plain weird.

I agree but what if it works? I don't have a clue but with all of the other coaches and coordinators a head coaches job is to bring them together for one purpose.  

14 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

i dont think a permanent coach exists. also, no statement like that has been made officially. 

but if he does well, i assume he gets extended. 

and there is no "big risk", team already sucks

24 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

This scenario happens all the time in other professional sports, especially basketball ...and people question it, but nowhere near the level they are lighting Jim up about.

Who was the first of this current "era" to start the ex player to HC with zero experience coaching craze.....Larry Bird.  

That team was stacked with established vets....unlike this team which has many holes ...but, I think Jeff is probably closer to Bird, than Isiah Thomas in this analogy.

Also like Bird, given the chance, I bet Jeff would attempt to surround himself with talent at the assistant coaching positions he could lean on... 

It's a long shot, but wouldn't Fox or Bradley be as well?

Nailed it. I don't think he will be our permanent HC but if he stays, no doubt he's going to bring in the best people he possibly can to run O and D. Could even keep Bradley. 

People say all the time how they'd rather play rookies with unknown ceilings rather then vets. Why can't we play that game with coaching? LOL Fox is too old for this league to stay flexible. Bradley is interesting if you paired him with a great offensive mind. 

23 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

It's a big deal.  Saturday is going to have a tough time getting the guys he wants if he ends up with the job end of season.  Coaching is a fraternity.  Saturday is a guy swooping in from the media side and he is going to learn quickly how much tougher it is when you gotta keep your mouth shut and your performance is graded every week on actual results.

This is gonna be ugly.  Which is what the Colts want as they know they need to take a QB at the top so why not lose games.

And if Saturday is some hidden savant then that will show too.  But prepare for the worst.

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

This is LEGIT...

I thought it was a joke at first. 

This is really happening right now. 

I have no problem with this if he is the guy. The coach needs to be a leader.  If he can hire top assistants then we will be fine. If he is a ... kicker than even better. I do think this is also a reaction to the play of the Oline. 

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

There is a lot of truth to this.

People need to relax on this. Reich was given plenty of patience by the Irsay. Is this all on him? Absolutely not. He is however, or was a massive part of this issue. This team has no confidence, no preparation and has looked absolutely terrible on the offensive side of the football. This is far more a coaching issue then a players issue IMO. 

From where I sit as a Titans fan, all this seems very strange. Hey I get it, the league is cruel and it's very much the "what have you done for me lately" sort of job. And yes, the Colts were picked by many as leading the AFC South this year. So 3-5-1 right now is a dissapointment, especially considering the beatdown last week by the Pats.

But why fire Reich now? Why not wait until the end of the season? Why on earth was it necessary to cut ties at this very moment and install a guy who hasn't coached anything above the high school level? I know Jeff Saturday is a Colts legend these days, but there has to be more to this than is being told.  Years ago after the Titans parted ways with Jeff Fisher, they hired Mike Munchak. Now Munchak had been with the Titans since he was a player (and went to the HOF) and was a highly respected O-line coach. But it was odd to elevate him into the head coaching job having never even been a coordinator before.  And it didn't end well. Saturday is supposed to be just an interim, but with no experience coaching at the pro or even college level, what does this say to the fans and most importantly, paying season ticket holders? They're just going to flush this season down the toilet and start over now? Even Lovie Smith at Houston will probably ride out the rest of the season.

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's what Orlovsky also said.  That Saturday would not take the job unless he thought he had a chance of it being long term.

This also tells  me that this has been in the works for awhile. This is not just a knee jerk reaction.  Wouldn't be surprised if this went back to last year 

4 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

It's a big deal.  Saturday is going to have a tough time getting the guys he wants if he ends up with the job end of season.  Coaching is a fraternity.  Saturday is a guy swooping in from the media side and he is going to learn quickly how much tougher it is when you gotta keep your mouth shut and your performance is graded every week on actual results.

This is gonna be ugly.  Which is what the Colts want as they know they need to take a QB at the top so why not lose games.

And if Saturday is some hidden savant then that will show too.  But prepare for the worst.

prepare for the worst? pretty sure that's what we just experienced last week. we are already prepared. 

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

U also think that Isay looks across the pond and sees what Vrabel is doing. I really liked Frank but I do think he was soft. I think Saturday will have that streak that this team needs.

I like it! I like they are bringing in Jeff Saturday. Nothing to lose at this point.

They could've replaced Frank with the Mascot and got more production from the offense than Frank has been able to. Frank seems like a really good man, but his play calling left a whole lot to be desired. This offense was boring and not productive at all. Glad to see changes being made in season.

2 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

From where I sit as a Titans fan, all this seems very strange. Hey I get it, the league is cruel and it's very much the "what have you done for me lately" sort of job. And yes, the Colts were picked by many as leading the AFC South this year. so 3-5-1 right now is a dissapointment, especially considering the beatdown last week by the Pats.

But why fire Reich now? Why not wait until the end of the season? Why on earth was it necessary to cut ties at this very moment and install a guy who hasn't coached anything above the high school level? I know Jeff Saturday is a Colts legend these days, but there has to be more to this than is being told.  Years ago after the Titans parted ways with Jeff Fisher, they hired Mike Munchak. Now Munchak had been with the Titans since he was a player (and went to the HOF) and was a highly respected O-line coach. But it was odd to elevate him into the head coaching job having never even been a coordinator before.  Saturday is supposed to be just an interim, but with no experience coaching at the pro or even college level, what does this say to the fans and most importantly, paying season ticket holders? They're just going to flush this season down the toilet and start over now? Even Lovie Smith at Houston will probably ride out the rest of the season.

Yeah it is really odd, and just doesn't make sense aside from pushing for tanking. Saturday has never been in a coaching role or knows how to prepare a team for the week. If I'm one of the coaches or one of the player, I would be very skeptical of Saturday coming in and having any type of opinion. Not to mention if Saturday has said any hot takes about them in the media. I feel this could destroy the locker room, and hurt the franchise in the long run.

Archived