Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Name Jeff Saturday Interim Head Coach

AKB

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Zoltan said:

Yeah it is really odd, and just doesn't make sense aside from pushing for tanking. Saturday has never been in a coaching role or knows how to prepare a team for the week. If I'm one of the coaches or one of the player, I would be very skeptical of Saturday coming in and having any type of opinion. Not to mention if Saturday has said any hot takes about them in the media. I feel this could destroy the locker room, and hurt the franchise in the long run.

I think he knows how to prepare. He was in the league a long time. The biggest hurdle is getting guys to listen to his message and play hard.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think he knows how to prepare. He was in the league a long time. The biggest hurdle is getting guys to listen to his message and play hard.

Big difference preparing as a player and preparing as the head coach

55 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sometimes I nail it.

As you know, Saturday works for ESPN.  On NFL Live, Dan Orlovsky said that for weeks Saturday has been coming to him picking his brain about offenses, scheme,  QBing, play calling...details that Saturday never talked about much before.

Been bending Dan's ear for WEEKS.

Sam elevated to #2 weeks ago...by Irsay.  Was that the beginning?   

Was Irsay cooking up something weeks ago.  Had is doubts probably since last year.

And didn't clue Ballard in?

I think if Satursay does work out. It wil leave him with a lot of  in put into drafting and building of a team.if Saturday does turn the team around it may save Ballard but Saturday will probably be able to make that call. This is also a definite indictment however of Ballard's most prized asset. Irsay probably wants a full assessment of the Oline. Strausser may not last long.

3 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

these guys do more talking than the colts have. I could care less what writers have to say these days. 

He is right. I really think Rieich looked worn out and actually wanted this to happen. I believe he wanted Wentz for another year but that being said, the Oline would have d gotten him killed as well.

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Big difference preparing as a player and preparing as the head coach

Just saying he has seen coaches prepare and knows the work that goes into it. So I don’t think that will be the hard part for him. But getting guys to believe in a coach with no experience is a bigger hurdle.

Maybe Ballard resigned lol 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Irsay I think just wants him inside to evaluate the organization. Kind of  more consulting to figure out what is really wrong. Irsay trusts Saturday.

He could evaluate the team with Saturday involved as a consultant and not make him a head coach. It just doesn’t make sense. On any level.

Nope not with this Saturday move. This is a Irsay move to evaluate the team. Which means he doesn’t trust Ballard. 

@crazycolt1If that were true, Irsay woulda fired Ballard by now. I don’t know why you think Irsay hired Saturday if he had no regard for Ballard. 

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He could evaluate the team with Saturday involved as a consultant and not make him a head coach. It just doesn’t make sense. On any level.

@crazycolt1If that were true, Irsay woulda fired Ballard by now. I don’t know why you think Irsay hired Saturday if he had no regard for Ballard. 

Huh?

12 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Just saying he has seen coaches prepare and knows the work that goes into it. So I don’t think that will be the hard part for him. But getting guys to believe in a coach with no experience is a bigger hurdle.

Maybe Ballard resigned lol 

This is just getting weirder and weirder

Hiring a head coach is a crap shoot. Look at Siriani for the Eagles. His 1st press  conference was a disaster and he came across with someone with some social disorder. Now look at him although I am not sold on the Eagles. The head coach needs to be a leader and have a plan. Dan Campbel is tough guy but has no clue what he is doing. A head coach has  to have many valuable traits. It is also about surrounding himself with great assistants. I have no idea how he will do but I don't mind the move. To me it is better than hiring the ' hot candidate'. Irsay knows this guy in and out and I am actually wondering if Ballard had input on this move. If not then that is asign he is gone.

24 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

it makes sense if you wanna tank for a QB   throwing a guy who never coached into the spot light mid season is gonna be embarrassing .   that is what they want its obvious

i dont know how even the most optimistic fan can look at what has gone on this year and think the colts are not in trouble .   ballard is gone i dont know how he stays and a freaking offensive line men is the head coach .  

we better hope one of the top 3 QBs in the draft get brought in next year or the franchise is in trouble

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

But perhaps Saturday can turn out to be a good head coach? It's worth a shot.

Even next year, the choices will probably all be...

either uninspiring, recycled former coaches...

Or unproven younger assistants.

Can't hurt to try Saturday? 

John Fox has taken 2 different teams to a superbowl 

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

it makes sense if you wanna tank for a QB   throwing a guy who never coached into the spot light mid season is gonna be embarrassing .   that is what they want its obvious

I definitely think we’re tanking. But “throwing a guy into the spotlight” makes sense from Irsays point of view, not Saturday. Why would Saturday do this if he had aspirations of being an NFL coach? It’d basically sabotage his career from the start. 

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hiring a head coach is a crap shoot. Look at Siriani for the Eagles. His 1st press  conference was a disaster and he came across with someone with some social disorder. Now look at him although I am not sold on the Eagles. The head coach needs to be a leader and have a plan. Dan Campbel is tough guy but has no clue what he is doing. A head coach has  to have many valuable traits. It is also about surrounding himself with great assistants. I have no idea how he will do but I don't mind the move. To me it is better than hiring the ' hot candidate'. Irsay knows this guy in and out and I am actually wondering if Ballard had input on this move. If not then that is asign he is gone.

Please give in depth analysis on how Dan Campbell has no idea what he is song.   Leave nothing out.   

Irsay brought in someone he trusts.

Saturday will evaluate the roster and coaching staff for the next two months.

It is possible there will be sweeping changes throughout the organization after the season.

Jim has seen enough; the fact that he did not hire from within the current staff is telling.

6 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think keeping Frank would have been tanking with the trajectory the team is going, this hire is the anti tank honestly and pretty obvious. Now will it work out ? Hard to say BUT definitely not tanking by Irsay,he trusts what Saturday says.

Best post yet.

I agree, if the purpose is to tank...

Who could be better than simply retaining Reich for the remainder of the season.

Irsay is trying, somehow, to turn things around.

17 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I definitely think we’re tanking. But “throwing a guy into the spotlight” makes sense from Irsays point of view, not Saturday. Why would Saturday do this if he had aspirations of being an NFL coach? It’d basically sabotage his career from the start. 

because it takes former players years of being a intern and position coach just to get to the point of being a OC or DC  some guys it takes ten to twenty years to get that chance .   its low risk high reward, worst case saturday goes back to espn .  saturday doesnt have it in him to grind up for 15 years to maybe get a chance .   if he did he would already have been a intern with the colts or position coach .

for irsay it makes sense if he puts bradly or fox and then win a couple games you lose out on a top 3 QB in the draft .   saturday being thrown into the position mid season without even knowing the playbook is the best way to tank . 

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

because it takes former players years of being a intern and position coach just to get to the point of being a OC or DC  some guys it takes ten to twenty years to get that chance .   its low risk high reward, worst case saturday goes back to espn .  saturday doesnt have it in him to grind up for 15 years to maybe get a chance .   if he did he would already have been a intern with the colts or position coach .

for irsay it makes sense if he puts bradly or fox and then win a couple games you lose out on a top 3 QB in the draft .   saturday being thrown into the position mid season without even knowing the playbook is the best way to tank . 

Run, run, pass.  Not much of a playbook to memorize.

Archived