Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Anyone Else as Downhearted About This Season As I Am?

Smonroe

I mean, I'll still watch the games.  But I'm not looking forward to them anymore.  Maybe I'm too old for another cycle of blowing up the team, getting a new coach and GM, and starting over again.

It's like I'm standing outside of a broken phone booth with money in my hand.

Okay...whining is over...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a game that frankly has no control over the important things in your life.  I want the Colts to win as much as the next person and I certainly understand being disappointed with your team and the frustrations that come with a long season but that just makes me enjoy the good times more when they happen.  I’d also remind people if your football team is the worst thing in your life be grateful because you have a good life.  

My expectations is so low that im not getting mad anymore. I pay a fortune to watch these game and pay to get the day off after primetime games, because I enjoy the Colts play win or lose. Was it more fun watching them when they where good, damn sure but that feels like a long time ago, so now I just get extra happy when we are able to win and beating a far better team like KC still gives me that little "high"

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I mean, I'll still watch the games.  But I'm not looking forward to them anymore.  Maybe I'm too old for another cycle of blowing up the team, getting a new coach and GM, and starting over again.

No impact to my life, but as a football geek, totally bummer... Caring less and less for the NFL... Can't wait for the World Cup... 

55 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

By the end of last season i recognized we were missing a number of pieces and would be coming into this season with a lot of youth and experience.

Such is life. 

Then we made big changes that brightened our prospects considerably yee haa!

Unfortunaely Pinter was a big appointment, Pryor came back at least 20 lbs over weight and STINKS, Q and Kelly can't be 90%, perhaps Smith has physical problems to. We have blocking issues WR's, TE's, and RB's.

Seems our position coaches are not getting our players up to snuff.

You are a die hard elder that must love the game and our Colts, like so many of us. I'm very bummed with our over all play but i can't over look those players that are playing hard, gaining experience, and must be the players that can once again make us highly competitive.

I will be watching Grover, Pierce, looking for Woods, and enjoying Slingin Sam give it his all.

But yes, it is "wait till next year".

Looking at it from this season alone or for a few season down the road.

The team is presently where I thought it was headed given previous decisions. 

I like the young players.  My level of bullishness or bearishness for next season and beyond is more immediately tied to Ehlinger's performance during the rest of the season.  At the moment, I'm fairly bullish about the future because I think Sam is a keeper and can develop along with the rest of the youngsters, but that could change weekly...lol.

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

By the end of last season i recognized we were missing a number of pieces and would be coming into this season with a lot of youth and experience.

Such is life. 

Then we made big changes that brightened our prospects considerably yee haa!

Unfortunaely Pinter was a big appointment, Pryor came back at least 20 lbs over weight and STINKS, Q and Kelly can't be 90%, perhaps Smith has physical problems to. We have blocking issues WR's, TE's, and RB's.

Seems our position coaches are not getting our players up to snuff.

You are a die hard elder that must love the game and our Colts, like so many of us. I'm very bummed with our over all play but i can't over look those players that are playing hard, gaining experience, and must be the players that can once again make us highly competitive.

I will be watching Grover, Pierce,

Pryor actually lost weight and slimmed  down to play LT. Because that’s where they wanted him to play.

25 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Im bent because the phins just gave one of the best pass rushers in the game 22mil a year and we gave a guard 20mil per year.... :facepalm:

This right here should say it all. 

Blow it up :Nuke:

Chubb isn't one of the best pasha rushers in the league.    He has also missed a bunch of games due to injury

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Pryor actually lost weight and slimmed  down to play LT. Because that’s where they wanted him to play.

Don't get me started on that.  It's also sad that our O Line coach, and no one else on the staff, would admit that it was a mistake before the first preseason game.  It seemed like all the writers covering practice could tell he was bad.

Anyway - I don't want to give the impression that football rules my life.  That's not the case.  It's just that I had such high hopes this year.  Maybe, like the coaches were lying to themselves that Pryor was a LT, I was also lying to myself that the Colts were going to be contenders this season.

16 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

I didnt expect much when ballard did not get a good lt and let glow and reed slip away, now I find my enjoyment in watching sam regardless of the score

Sam played a lot of football on college and showed a lot of poise last game. 

So many of these top ten drafted QB's have short college resumes and just don't know how to play the game. Sam did a lot of dinkin and dunkin, but he was quick and accurate and did throw several precise strikes. Good for him.
 Frank better come down hard on all the position coaches and their players regarding their blocking. This ____ ain't gonna fly!!!!

I loved watching the Colts with Manning. You knew that you had a legitimate shot at the Super bowl every year because he was that good.

Then came Andrew Luck. I didn't think I could like a QB more than Peyton Manning, but Andrew Luck's magical rookie season won me over. He was my favorite athlete to watch, on par with Barry Sanders. If they were both playing today at the same time, I don't know who I would watch. But the Colts with Manning and Luck were "Must watch TV."

Now, the Colts are a team without any real identity. For example, you know who the Chiefs are. You know who the Bills are. They are tied to their QBs. The Colts? Who knows. 

But I still watch because I'm a fan.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I’m really excited for watching Sam and how he does. 

I don’t expect a lot of wins the rest of the year, but then I was never one of the people who thought we were contenders. 

I’m excited to see what happens this off season. I expect a lot of moves in the FO and coaching staff and I don’t mind because the current having been getting it done. Yes, I accept this may lead to a few years of poop football as long as there is progression each year. 

Unfortunately, I must now admit that we have no chance of going to the Super Bowl this year, especially since Buffalo and Philly look so much stronger than anyone else. So I must be satisfied that the rest of this season is hopefully for Sam to get better every week and show us all that he can take over the team, even being a 6 round pick. If he succeeds at this, we can then draft an LT and Edge rusher that may provide stability and put us in contention for next year. That is my hope.

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Pryor actually said he balloned to the 360's in the off season and slimmed down to 343. Which was 13 lbs heavier than they listed him last season.
 He is a slug. Castonzo played at about 310 and they are roughly the same height. Pryor should have been no more 320 if he wanted to play well and establish himself as an NFL quality tackle. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Maybe I'm too old for another cycle of blowing up the team, getting a new coach and GM, and starting over again.

I don't see that happening.  Irsay will try out another coach on Ballard's players first.  Once again vs. Washington you had the slow start/late collapse combo.  It's the story of individual games, the story of entire seasons.  For whatever reason, Frank cannot get this team ready to play for 4 quarters and 16-17 games.  

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Pryor actually said he balloned to the 360's in the off season and slimmed down to 343. Which was 13 lbs heavier than they listed him last season.
 He is a slug. Castonzo played at about 310 and they are roughly the same height. Pryor should have been no more 320 if he wanted to play well and establish himself as an NFL quality tackle. 

I don’t remember him saying that that. What I did hear is he was changing hind body and took up boxing to transition to LT. I think you might be confusing when he was with eagles.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I don’t remember him saying that that. What I did hear is he was changing hind body and took up boxing to transition to LT.

He should have also taken up ballet.  Not being sarcastic.

Let's face it, making a 6th round draft pick who played G (with one game at LT) your starting LT was risky at best.  And they should have known better after seeing him in practice.

But enough about the past.  I will say, it is nice seeing how Sam is playing.  At least he's more mobile.  The O line did Matt in and ruined the end of his career.

25 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I loved watching the Colts with Manning. You knew that you had a legitimate shot at the Super bowl every year because he was that good.

Then came Andrew Luck. I didn't think I could like a QB more than Peyton Manning, but Andrew Luck's magical rookie season won me over. He was my favorite athlete to watch, on par with Barry Sanders. If they were both playing today at the same time, I don't know who I would watch. But the Colts with Manning and Luck were "Must watch TV."

Now, the Colts are a team without any real identity. For example, you know who the Chiefs are. You know who the Bills are. They are tied to their QBs. The Colts? Who knows. 

But I still watch because I'm a fan.

The Colts are the team that CRUSHED Buffalo in Buffalo and beat KC in Indy. 

6 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

The Colts are the team that CRUSHED Buffalo in Buffalo and beat KC in Indy. 

Yeah, any given Sunday, but those were anomalies that made us look better than we were.   A lot of stuff went right for us in both games.  In Buffalo at the beginning and v. KC at the end.  Those wins shouldn't have been taken as evidence that were a top team.  Cause we weren't and haven't been in quite a while now. 

Not downhearted as my expectations were low. I figured Ryan’s gas tank was about empty and combined with obvious holes on OL to paint a dismal picture for offense.  Of course who knew Nelson would decline so rapidly and Taylor would get multiple injuries. 

Wasted season. A total bummer.

People saying we’re giving Sam a chance to see if he’s the guy are insane.. he’s NOT the guy. Not even close. He’s a 6th round pick for a reason. 

The fact is, playoffs aren’t happening. So it’s a waste of a year for guys like JT, Pitt, Q, Buck, Leonard, etc.. 

The core should have been good enough to make the playoffs. Poor coaching, bad oline play, just a brutal year 

33 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That doesn't make him one of the leagues best

You seem to be focused on "league best" instead of the fact that my real point was other teams are paying the correct positions when acquiring/securing talent. We (Colts) are not.  Pass Rusher vs. Guard

10 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

The core should have been good enough to make the playoffs. Poor coaching, bad oline play, just a brutal year 

A big part of the core is the OL, though. Their steep fall off, especially in run blocking, was hard to predict.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Im not sure that’s true.   I once believed it.   But not anymore.    I’ll explain:   

Around May, Pryor did about a 15 minute interview with the team.   Said he had dropped 10-12 pounds and planned to lose about 5 more.  

At the time, I took his comment to mean that his weight loss started from his listed weight of 332 and that he was trying to get under 320.  

But, I think it was either late in training camp or the first few weeks of the season @throwing BBZ (?)  Said he found an interview where Pryor himself said he weighed 341. 

I was beyond stunned.   If true,  this means Pryor allowed himself to gain a lot of weight in the off-season and pushed 360 before finally losing what he thought was enough to play LT for the Colts.    To me it was shocking. 

I don’t know what weight Pryor played at last year?   But when he was given a shot  to start this year it was the opportunity of a lifetime!   A potential winning lottery ticket.   Ace that test and you can make $10+m a year for a good number of years.   That’s life changing money.   But flunk that test and you can go back to being a backup, which is what Pryor has played like this year.   Last year now looks like a career year that might not ever be repeated again.   Crazy stupid decision. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not sure that’s true.   I once believed it.   But not anymore.    I’ll explain:   

Around May, Pryor did about a 15 minute interview with the team.   Said he had dropped 10-12 pounds and planned to lose about 5 more.  

At the time, I took his comment to mean that his weight loss started from his listed weight of 332 and that he was trying to get under 320.  

But, I think it was either late in training camp or the first few weeks of the season @throwing BBZ (?)  Said he found an interview where Pryor himself said he weighed 341. 

I was beyond stunned.   If true,  this means Pryor allowed himself to gain a lot of weight in the off-season and pushed 360 before finally losing what he thought was enough to play LT for the Colts.    To me it was shocking. 

I don’t know what weight Pryor played at last year?   But when he was given a shot  to start this year it was the opportunity of a lifetime!   A potential winning lottery ticket.   Ace that test and you can make $10+m a year for a good number of years.   That’s life changing money.   But flunk that test and you can go back to being a backup, which is what Pryor has played like this year.   Last year now looks like a career year that might not ever be repeated again.   Crazy stupid decision. 

That’s interesting. Did not know any of that.

Archived