Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Anyone Else as Downhearted About This Season As I Am?

Smonroe

14 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Wasted season. A total bummer.

People saying we’re giving Sam a chance to see if he’s the guy are insane.. he’s NOT the guy. Not even close. He’s a 6th round pick for a reason. 

The fact is, playoffs aren’t happening. So it’s a waste of a year for guys like JT, Pitt, Q, Buck, Leonard, etc.. 

The core should have been good enough to make the playoffs. Poor coaching, bad oline play, just a brutal year 

I disagree about Sam. The jury is out and will be for the rest of the season. I’m excited to see him play and it should give all Colts fans a reason to tune in. 
That said, the holes are going to have to be filled for this team to make the playoffs in the future.  Those holes are: 

1. LT. This has to get fixed. If Raimann is the guy they have to get him back out there. You can’t go into next season hoping he’s going to magically morph into the long term answer. If Raimann can’t cut it at LT, you draft one or sign one. But this team cannot allow this position to remain a question mark. 

2. Center. Ryan Kelly seems a shadow of his former self. A new C is needed; time to give Kelly his walking papers. Give Pinter some snaps. If he proves to be solid, then you’re set. If not, sign the best C out there in FA. 

3. RG. Either Raimann if he fails to cut it at LT or draft one. 

4. QB. Only if Sam shows he’s not the answer. And this will have to be a first round  pick, which could prove expensive if they need to move up in the draft. But….No more reclamation projects. And….Pray that Sam is the answer. If he is, the Colts can climb back to a playoff caliber team in a hurry with the right moves. 

5. Head Coach. Frank is in over his head. Time to move on. This is the most important move of all. 

6. And finally, and sadly, Move on from Leonard. He’s showing all the signs of being perpetually injured and thus broken.  Get out from under this bad contract as soon as you can. Instead, commit to EJ Speed. He’s an ascending talent. 

Time for bold moves. Go Colts!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I mean, I'll still watch the games.  But I'm not looking forward to them anymore.  Maybe I'm too old for another cycle of blowing up the team, getting a new coach and GM, and starting over again.

It's like I'm standing outside of a broken phone booth with money in my hand.

Okay...whining is over...

Yes....very. For once I drank the Ballard Kool Aid. Loved the acquisition of Ryan as he fell in our lap. Loved hiring of Bradley and trade of Rock for Yannick. Loved his scheme more than the one run by Flus. Loved acquisition of Gilmore.  I really thought this Oline was going to be top 5 even with Pryor at LT. My biggest concern was wr and te. Wr is where I think most of our future talent now lies if Campbell stays. A complete disaster in my books and almost more depressing than some of the Manning one and dones lol.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Of course I am bummed about the Colts not playing good. They still have a very good defense so I do enjoy watching them. Now I look forward to watching Sam to see if he can take the reigns. I'm also not buying into the narrative that the locker room has been lost. 

This is exactly where i am now.  Not focused on any real playoff chance, just want to see some heart in games and the growth of Sam E. 

14 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I disagree about Sam. The jury is out and will be for the rest of the season. I’m excited to see him play and it should give all Colts fans a reason to tune in. 
That said, the holes are going to have to be filled for this team to make the playoffs in the future.  Those holes are: 

1. LT. This has to get fixed. If Raimann is the guy they have to get him back out there. You can’t go into next season hoping he’s going to magically morph into the long term answer. If Raimann can’t cut it at LT, you draft one or sign one. But this team cannot allow this position to remain a question mark. 

2. Center. Ryan Kelly seems a shadow of his former self. A new C is needed; time to give Kelly his walking papers. Give Pinter some snaps. If he proves to be solid, then you’re set. If not, sign the best C out there in FA. 

3. RG. Either Raimann if he fails to cut it at LT or draft one. 

4. QB. Only if Sam shows he’s not the answer. And this will have to be a first round  pick, which could prove expensive if they need to move up in the draft. But….No more reclamation projects. And….Pray that Sam is the answer. If he is, the Colts can climb back to a playoff caliber team in a hurry with the right moves. 

5. Head Coach. Frank is in over his head. Time to move on. This is the most important move of all. 

6. And finally, and sadly, Move on from Leonard. He’s showing all the signs of being perpetually injured and thus broken.  Get out from under this bad contract as soon as you can. Instead, commit to EJ Speed. He’s an ascending talent. 

Time for bold moves. Go Colts!

Agree on Speed and I was on record as trading Leonard when they negotiating and putting Speed in. I made the argument that lbs in this system can be found in later rounds. Lot of money tied up in  LG and MLB. What a waste

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I mean, I'll still watch the games.  But I'm not looking forward to them anymore.  Maybe I'm too old for another cycle of blowing up the team, getting a new coach and GM, and starting over again.

You're still at a better point with me with this team. For me, I'm at the point where I'm still a fan of this team, but I'm no longer watching the games. I now know what to expect for the rest of the year. If I'm going to watch the Colts, I might as well watch the Broncos since I live in Colorado and get to spend time with my family while watching them as an extra bonus. 

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

What's a Phone Booth?  :goodluck:

Yes, you're too old. :hat:

Buckle Up for another cycle. Cheers! 

My high expectations died off after Luck retired. So it's been relatively smooth sailing on my end. I didn't have any high hopes for a team that has been swapping bridge gap QBs for the past couple years. You need a good QB to win in this league and ours retired. I did really want Matt Stafford when he was available but that didn't work out. I am excited to see Sam play, though. It's a nice change of pace from the past few QBs that are mainly pocket passers and as mobil as a tortoise. I feel bad for Matt Ryan, though. I think he thought he had a chance here but something happened on both ends of the table with that.

I stopped letting the outcomes of my sports teams have any major affect on my life a long time ago. (Oilers Hockey, Bluejays Baseball, Colts Football). However im still a passionate fan who will rant and rave when things go bad, also praise when things are good. 

I lost faith in this regime when they traded a 1 for Wentz which IMO might be on par with the Trent Richardson trade. I still watch every play of every game. Its exciting in its own way seeing what we can do. Having Sam introduced makes it a little more exciting also. The slim chance he balls out all of a sudden maybe we make the playoffs.

I know a lot of fans are against this but its reality of sports sometimes, to me hoping for a high draft pick is exciting also. When the realization that playoffs are to far gone of course, which IMO is now. 

1 hour ago, TheNextGM said:

People saying we’re giving Sam a chance to see if he’s the guy are insane.. he’s NOT the guy. Not even close. He’s a 6th round pick for a reason. 

The fact is, playoffs aren’t happening. So it’s a waste of a year for guys like JT, Pitt, Q, Buck, Leonard, etc.. 

The core should have been good enough to make the playoffs. Poor coaching, bad oline play, just a brutal year 

Id like to see Sam catch fire and light up the league over these next 9 games. Things sure would look different then eh?

So, you're not really "TheNextGM," are you?

I get what you're saying. Ehlinger has some obvious limitations, but selecting a QB in the NLF isn't an exact science, as is evidenced by the following 1st round QBs:

1. Paxton Lynch

2. Christian Ponder

3. Josh Rosen

4. Johnny Manziel

5. Blain Gabbert

6. EJ Manuel

7. Jake Locker

8. Josh Freeman

9. Sam Darnold

10. Mark Sanchez

11. Black Bortles

12. Teddy Bridgewater

13. Mitch Trubisky

14. Carson Wentz

15. Baker Mayfield

I mean after all, these guys were first round picks for a reason. 

7 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I get what you're saying. Ehlinger has some obvious limitations, but selecting a QB in the NLF isn't an exact science, as is evidenced by the following 1st round QBs:

1. Paxton Lynch

2. Christian Ponder

3. Josh Rosen

4. Johnny Manziel

5. Blain Gabbert

6. EJ Manuel

7. Jake Locker

8. Josh Freeman

9. Sam Darnold

10. Mark Sanchez

11. Black Bortles

12. Teddy Bridgewater

13. Mitch Trubisky

14. Carson Wentz

15. Baker Mayfield

Next make a list of 6th round QB's who did't make it further than a backup role. The list is 5 times that one. 

26 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

1. Paxton Lynch

2. Christian Ponder

3. Josh Rosen

4. Johnny Manziel

5. Blain Gabbert

6. EJ Manuel

7. Jake Locker

8. Josh Freeman

9. Sam Darnold

10. Mark Sanchez

11. Black Bortles

12. Teddy Bridgewater

13. Mitch Trubisky

14. Carson Wentz

15. Baker Mayfield

Very true.  But you can't win a lottery if you don't buy a ticket.  Ballard should have been buying lottery tickets the day after Luck retired.  If you miss, you miss.

The short answer is no. I enjoy Colts football for what it is, a fun distraction for a few hours on Sunday. While I enjoy checking out potential draft picks, talking about what is going on with the team, etc., I don't get too high or low with it regardless of how they are doing. If I'm watching a game and start to get frustrated I just turn the TV off and go do something else. No big deal.

47 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Next make a list of 6th round QB's who didn't make it further than a backup role. The list is 5 times that one. 

Of course it is. I'm not debating against that. My point is that the NFL is a crapshoot, even in the first round.

Let's give Ehlinger an honest assessment of his abilities despite what round he was drafted in.

Just now, Flash7 said:

Of course it is. I'm not debating against that. My point is that the NFL is a crapshoot, even in the first round.

Let's give Ehlinger an honest assessment of his abilities despite what round he was drafted in.

I agree I whole heartedly agree. Just saying the chances of hitting on a QB in rounds 1-3 is exponentially higher than 4-7.

38 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Very true.  But you can't win a lottery if you don't buy a ticket.  Ballard should have been buying lottery tickets the day after Luck retired.  If you miss, you miss.

Yup, agreed here as well. Just gotta make sure you can evaluate the position on the right traits. For example: Arm strength is over rated. The most important trait is decision making, (reading a defense, recognizing coverages, and anticipating windows). 

3 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Unfortunately, I must now admit that we have no chance of going to the Super Bowl this year, especially since Buffalo and Philly look so much stronger than anyone else. So I must be satisfied that the rest of this season is hopefully for Sam to get better every week and show us all that he can take over the team, even being a 6 round pick. If he succeeds at this, we can then draft an LT and Edge rusher that may provide stability and put us in contention for next year. That is my hope.

i have the strongest feeling that we will hand Philly their first loss

9 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Yup, agreed here as well. Just gotta make sure you can evaluate the position on the right traits. For example: Arm strength is over rated. The most important trait is decision making, (reading a defense, recognizing coverages, and anticipating windows). 

Decision making, accuracy, and the awareness to know if you have the arm to get the ball into the window before you throw it.

(And a GM who knows that he can ruin a franchise if he can't protect his most important player)

4 hours ago, Robin said:

My expectations is so low that im not getting mad anymore. I pay a fortune to watch these game and pay to get the day off after primetime games, because I enjoy the Colts play win or lose. Was it more fun watching them when they where good, damn sure but that feels like a long time ago, so now I just get extra happy when we are able to win and beating a far better team like KC still gives me that little "high"

I feel the same way at this point in the season.  After following my Colts since '68 funny thing is there's still that glimmer of hope for that miraculous finish.  But this team from front office,  coaching to players is not so much a mess but in shock.

It obviously isn’t as fun watching the games.

Friends and I attended the game against the Commanders and I was surprised how loud the crowd was on 3rd downs.

Other than the occasional crowd noise it felt like a preseason game honestly. I even heard a couple of boos which I think should have been louder.

One thing for sure I won’t be going to a sports bar to watch them play anymore.  They are a boring watch now.  I will listen to the radio broadcast on my iPad.  Last week was the first time I did that.  I have to admit listening to homer broadcasters was fun in its own way.  Like the old days.  I will pull for Sam but I am expecting a quarterback to be our 1st pick.  Just being realistic.  I guess you could say I’m treading water until the end of the season.  Deep down I’m hoping we don’t blow it up and go for a complete rebuild.  A new coach is what I’m hoping for.  I would like to see if Ballard can hire and keep his 1st choice and see what he does.  Losing Ballard and it becomes a full rebuild , new staff, new scouts, new everything.  We are a young talented team.  I would hate to go through all that a rebuild brings.  I’ve gone through it many times before.  It’s not fun.  I’m getting older.  Right now that’s the last thing I would want to happen.  New coach new quarterback I’m ready for that.

2 minutes ago, mirobi48 said:

Need to get used to us not being able to compete for at least 5 years. If there were smart start to unload some players for draft picks

Five years? It should never take five years. A rookie QB should have you contending within 2 years if you build around them right and they develop like they are supposed too.

During preseason when Wentz was shipped away and realized dont have QB. Then heard of Matty ICE. 

Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

After 7 to 8 games into the season and saw Brady fired, and Hines shipped away, and Matty ICE benched, and still not sure what is OL coach doing?

laugh love GIF

Lets see how the season ends? Frank & Ballard at the presser end of the season? haha

Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

4 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

I want them to lose to get better draft picks and get Reich fired. Irsay may still not do the Reich (right) thing. Another wasted year of a mediocre to poor team. 

1 hour ago, coltsfan_canada said:

During preseason when Wentz was shipped away and realized dont have QB. Then heard of Matty ICE. 

Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

After 7 to 8 games into the season and saw Brady fired, and Hines shipped away, and Matty ICE benched, and still not sure what is OL coach doing?

laugh love GIF

Lets see how the season ends? Frank & Ballard at the presser end of the season? haha

Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

If we lose this week, it will be JT out for the year Season 4 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I feel the pain... Where is pickleball? Uh never mind don't even like the name of the game. lmao

Tennis GIF by Pickleby

I'm a Colts fan, and not the type prone to emotional overreactions or dramatic outbursts. I never lose sight of the fact that 31 teams don't win the SB every year, or that the majority of teams don't make the playoffs, or that a bunch that do are one and done. That's the way it is, and has always been.

I actually like this 2022 team, but recognize that they're getting beat at the line-of-scrimmage, and only the rarest of talents can find ways to overcome that. My gut was very suspect of the pass rush and o-line during preseason, but I wanted to stay positive. Now my focus is on how the new younger players develop through the rest of the season, and on how the FO addresses the glaring issues at the LOS in the upcoming off season and draft.

GO COLTS!!!      :colts:

Archived