Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts legend?

CR91

Potentially fun off-season thread. What colts player would have been a legend if his career wasn't deterred by injuries and/or circumstances? Austin Collie comes to mind right away for me. Erik Dickerson if he actually wanted to be a Colt.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Potentially fun off-season thread. What colts player would have been a legend if his career wasn't deterred by injuries and/or circumstances? Austin Collie comes to mind right away for me. Erik Dickerson if he actually wanted to be a Colt.

I’m honestly not trying to be argumentative but… Austin Collie a legend? Do you mean in the sense of “try hard and you can make it to the league” because even though I bleed blue it’s a huge stretch to even call him great let alone legendary.

My wife hates that I play devils advocate and simply like hearing other people’s side one opinions like this but if you care to humor me I’d like to know your thought on him.

I think the obvious answer for me (30ish years of fandom) is Bob Sanders. Bonus would have been seeing what Edge would have been without the knee injury though he was still hall of fame with it.

59 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Steve Emtman

This was a heartbreaker. In a time when the Colts didnt have a lot of high profile players Emtman was to be a beast, and he was on the way there...until a knee injury on the trash carpet of the then-Hoosier Dome...followed by blowing out the other knee on the same field the next year. 

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

When did Dickerson say he didn't want to be here?

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Brandon Burlsworth

Good call.  But hard to say, considering he never got the chance to play.

BTW, anybody who hasn’t seen the film “Greater”, I recommend it.  It’s not the best made film ever - the director was a rookie and it showed at times.  There were some times it dragged.

But I still think it conveys Burlsworth’s story very well.  And you can’t help but love the kid.  Howard Mudd is a minor character toward the end.

3 hours ago, MONEYdontLIE said:

I’m honestly not trying to be argumentative but… Austin Collie a legend? Do you mean in the sense of “try hard and you can make it to the league” because even though I bleed blue it’s a huge stretch to even call him great let alone legendary.

My wife hates that I play devils advocate and simply like hearing other people’s side one opinions like this but if you care to humor me I’d like to know your thought on him.

I think the obvious answer for me (30ish years of fandom) is Bob Sanders. Bonus would have been seeing what Edge would have been without the knee injury though he was still hall of fame with it.

Doesn't exactly have to be a HOFer. Sometimes fan favorites are considered legends. 

27 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

When did Dickerson say he didn't want to be here?

Watching his football life, just never seemed like he enjoyed being there.

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Doesn't exactly have to be a HOFer. Sometimes fan favorites are considered legends. 

Watching his football life, just never seemed like he enjoyed being there.

He was a whiner! I agree with what the great Jim Brown said about Dickerson, years ago. Brown said Dickerson could have been the best RB of All-Time. His attitude was his problem. 

When it comes to Dickerson, he technically is a legend here. He basically put us on the map in 1987 regarding playing here in Indianapolis. We went from 3-13 in 1986 to 9-6 in 1987 and we won the AFC East when we traded for him. We improved 6.5 games and it was mainly because of him. In 1988 he won the Rushing Title as well.

You guys stole all of my thunder regarding the topic, Steve Emtman and Bob Sanders was already said and of course Andrew Luck but already said.

3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I can’t think of a better candidate — not post-1984, anyway.  Sanders had the potential to be in Ed Reed territory in terms of legacy.  He was that good…when he was healthy.

I’d say Bob Sanders and Andrew Luck are 1 and 1A for this whatever order you want to go with.

25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d say Bob Sanders and Andrew Luck are 1 and 1A for this whatever order you want to go with.

It still bothers me knowing that Luck had everything at his finger tips now with a great O.Line and run game and he just retired. He very well may have won 1 if not 2 SB's had he kept playing. It would've been him and MaHomes battling every year in the AFC.

21 hours ago, buccolts said:

I'm thinking Emtman, as well, but offer up Burlsworth as list worthy. Yep, even though we never saw him play under the shoe.

I would also put Fred Lane on the list! But we did have Edge at that time, so maybe not! That woulda been a hek of a 1-2punch though!

With a remotely competent front office, Luck is a hall of famer.

Outside of Manning or Luck, Bob might have been the greatest game changer of the Indy Colts era.  Unfortunately there weren't many games to change.  

Archived