Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fisher Signing 1 Year Deal

TomDiggs

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a weird deal. We're gonna pay him $9.4m to rehab his Achilles, and there's a strong chance he won't even play for us. 

Of course, the team and doctors know where he is. And maybe the deal is structured in a way that we're not on the hook if he can't go. But still... I'm on the fence on this one. Would have gone with a more reliable option.

Just now, Superman said:

Such a weird deal. We're gonna pay him $9.4m to rehab his Achilles, and there's a strong chance he won't even play for us. 

Of course, the team and doctors know where he is. And maybe the deal is structured in a way that we're not on the hook if he can't go. But still... I'm on the fence on this one. Would have gone with a more reliable option.

Do you really think Ballard is going to sign him if they didn’t expect him to play all season. Hopefully he doesn’t miss much time. Rappaport just said they are comfortable where he is in the rehab process.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

There are reports he can be back mid-august so who knows. Obviously the colts feel comfortable where he is so far in his rehab.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Do you really think Ballard is going to sign him if they didn’t expect him to play all season. Hopefully he doesn’t miss much time. Rappaport just said they are comfortable where he is in the rehab process.

Yeah, but at this point in the rehab, there is allot of uncertainty.   He could start week 1 or he could start week 8 or maybe not at all.  

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why are you saying "strong chance"?  Just curious.  Is that based on past history of that injury or on a source?

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I guess we'll see when(if) further details come out about the deal. I'd hope there is a break point in the money around number of games played etc. 

Are we more paying for 1st option in case he does get fit enough to play at some point this season. 

I agree it's an odd deal on the face of it.

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Another one year deal. It's gonna be another busy off-season for the colts next year.

I'm sure Ballard wanted a 1 year deal with Fisher to see that he is completely healthy going into the 2022 season as well. If so, I would hope he'll get extended. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm now very interested to see if Irsay follows through with signing both Leonard and Smith to extensions. No way, IMO, that both Fisher and Smith are  with the Colts in 2022. So if Smith signs a new deal , I'll view this as a 1 year bandaid. Maybe Leno didn't want a 1 year deal and that's why the Colts went this route ? I'm with you as this deal is a hard one to really peg. 

they say he should be ready to go around mid August 

Everything I have heard is that he should be ready by sometime in September. Tevi can get us by at LT for a few games until then if needed. 

Plus Fisher provides the highest upside from among the LTs that were available. 

Sooooo close lol....$9.4 compared to a projected $8M-$9M

Anyhow this always made the most sense for Fisher.

Get paid close to market value based on his injury. If fully healthy he would have been at least a $12M-$13M player if not more.

So he basically takes around a 25% discount based on his injury....which if he were going to miss 4 or so games would fall right in line w his going rate.

He avoids a longer term deal where if he is healthy he can then cash in again.

We avoid a longer term deal that might have required greater future investment as we wait to see if he can get back to form.

Will be fun to see how quickly he gets healthy and if he returns close to pre-injury form or not.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im still sort of expecting Tevi for a game or 2.

same. I bet he plays a lot more than we hope. I’m unsure about this signing right now. Hope some good news gets released about his surgery/rehab soon. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Its possible they’re still interested in Leno but he might have asked for too much??? Not sure if they even engaged him, could be like when fans speculated about Stafford.

Just like with Stafford vs Wentz, they went with familiarity and their  trust played a factor.

I think like others have said this shows Tevi starts the year and probably more along the lines of 3-4 games or so.

Which would fit Fisher's cost perfectly.

If he is a $12-$13M guy on annual salary in a full year and he misses around 1/4 of the year rehabbing then you take that rate and drop it down to that $9.5M range for him playing around 3/4 of the year or so.

As long as the Colts do not rush him back where he gets re-injured or where he comes in as a shell of himself then this works and makes sense.

If he can legit me back to a relatively healthy state by the end of September as Holder stated then that is a win.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im still sort of expecting Tevi for a game or 2.

Probably to start the season. But I'm okay with it if it's only for a few games until Fisher is fully ready. Fisher provides pro bowl upside at LT and should be a similar LT to what we had in Castonzo. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know you are going by past history of this injury but I doubt the Colts would sign him for 1 year if he couldn't play at all. Rappaport is saying Mid-August from what he has been hearing. I am not sure if I believe that but I also wouldn't rule out that Fisher plays 3/4 of the season as in back by October if his rehab goes great. So far I have no reason to believe his rehab has had any setbacks. 

As of now I love the signing, we will just have to wait and see when he gets healthy and comes back.

Strange deal.  One year coming off an injury.

Its a plug a hole in the dike approach until a proper plan can be executed.  Before execution, a plan has to be first drawn up.

As the draft proved, true NFL LTs are ONLY found in the first round.  Second round is for RTs and LT development.  And we won't have a first round pick next year, meaning, we still won't be able to solve the long term LT issue even next year via the draft (unless we trade up).

Maybe Fisher will be healthy, play well, and we can sign him to a longer term extension sometime during the season.

That could be a reasonable plan, but the Colts won't know if he's truly healthy and can play well off the injury until mid season, so that's where this one year deal makes some sense.

23 minutes ago, Myles said:

I was hoping for a 2 year deal with Leno.  

Same. I'm not a fan of the huge risk with his recovery. Our ability to protect Wentz is now predicated on a 30 year old LT rehabbing one of the worst injuries an athlete can have (in terms of ability to rehab and return to form, historically) in record time and be able to still play at a high level when he returns. 

I'd take consistently average play from Leno all day over the uncertainty of Fisher's possible elite level of play. I may end up eating crow on this one (and I'll be happy to), but it's by far my least favorite FA move in a very long time. I'll keep trusting CB, but it's really tough on this one.

With it being a 1 year deal, I'm way less concerned with the $$ and more with his ability to actually play and do so at a high level.

27 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What difference does it make what they expect? What actually happens is what matters. And Fisher playing in 2021 is very much up in the air. For him to play by the end of September would make him a major outlier.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you are going by past history of this injury but I doubt the Colts would sign him for 1 year if he couldn't play at all. Rappaport is saying Mid-August from what he has been hearing. I am not sure if I believe that but I also wouldn't rule out that Fisher plays 3/4 of the season as in back by October if his rehab goes great. So far I have no reason to believe his rehab has had any setbacks. 

As of now I love the signing, we will just have to wait and see when he gets healthy and comes back.

See above.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

What difference does it make what they expect? What actually happens is what matters. And Fisher playing in 2021 is very much up in the air. For him to play by the end of September would make him a major outlier.

Again, I'd like to know what you're basing your opinion on?  Not arguing, just curious.

Apparently the Chiefs thought he'd be back by the start of the season.  If he's a slow healer and not back until October, it's still a great signing.  But, like you said, we won't know until we know.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/03/01/kc-chiefs-news-eric-fisher-injury-update-achilles-mid-august-return/

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

We’re collecting torn Achilles right now like the people who had to cheat their way through their high school Econ classes are collecting doge.

John C Mcginley Laughing GIF

I just have one question - What it dogecoin?

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

Hopefully Achilles injuries are not the COLT's Achilles this year, with him and Dayo....

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I was thinking the same. This is incredibly steep price for someone we don't even know will be able to play. We take all the risk and get very little to nothing in return. I would have loved it if we got a 2 year 24-25M or something of the sort with the second year being team option and a reward for showing trust in him in case he recovers well. Something like... 7-17 would have been great IMO. I guess the reward in case he recovers well and signs elsewhere is the potential for a compensatory pick, but that's like.. 2 years in the future at this point. 

I guess in this case I hope majority of those 9-10M is tied in playing bonus. Lets wait and see the details. Usually the first number we get is one that is leaked by agent and favorable to the player side. 

Archived