Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fisher Signing 1 Year Deal

TomDiggs

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of us know how the healing is going.  I am going to guess the Colts did their homework on this and must feel good about what they saw or they wouldn’t have signed Fisher, especially with Leno out there.  

This is one of those deals that if he heals quickly this could end up looking like a great move.  If he doesn’t then a lot of people will question it in the off-season unless someone else on the roster steps up and becomes the answer at LT.  

For now all we can do is hope for the best and wait and see.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I'm not saying it's the case here because I didn't watch any film on Tevi.  But I know for a fact that a lot of people pay more attention to stats than to how a player actually plays.

Classic case - A RB rushes 19 times for 20 yards.  His team is getting trounced and the other team puts in their subs.  At the end of a game he breaks a meaningless TD for 80 yards.  He has 20 carries for 100 yards - a great 5 YPC!

Yes...    but as noted in my post, Tevi played over 1,000 snaps.   So he’s playing the entire game.   He’s not scoring touchdowns or making great plays in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss.   You can’t call 2 sacks and 4 penalties putting lipstick on a pig. 

All I’m suggesting is that Tevi might actually be better than some here are saying.   The coaches and front office might actually have some idea of what they’re doing.   It’s not inconceivable. 

42 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Best case scenario Tevi gets outplayed in training camp and preseason to the point they start someone else until Fisher arrives.

I would change that to Tevi plays well in training camp and preseason, but still gets beat out by.....then Fisher comes back and we have an abundance of riches. Can dream. 

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

None of us know how the healing is going.  I am going to guess the Colts did their homework on this and must feel good about what they saw or they wouldn’t have signed Fisher, especially with Leno out there.  

This is one of those deals that if he heals quickly this could end up looking like a great move.  If he doesn’t then a lot of people will question it in the off-season unless someone else on the roster steps up and becomes the answer at LT.  

For now all we can do is hope for the best and wait and see.

You know what. I am thinking we might not even worry about Leno at this point. If Fisher is going to be a half season rental and we are going to let Tevi, Davenport, Holden battle it out in TC for rights to LT for the first half, there is no huge advantage in having 3 or 4 LT candidates signed and muddying it up with Leno more, does that make sense? I am leaning towards the folks at the top thinking that way based on this Fisher signing.

43 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Best case scenario Tevi gets outplayed in training camp and preseason to the point they start someone else until Fisher arrives.

Call me crazy but wouldn’t the best case scenario be that Tevi works out?

This sounds more like the best case scenario for the Tevi sucks crowd.  

I am neutral on Tevi I don’t really care if he works or not personally but as a Colts fan I want him to work up at least until Fisher is ready because that’s best for the team.

32 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He has plenty of starts and started for us last season.

For all the talk of Will Holden started for the Colts last season and played well...   let’s remember...  

He only started in an emergency.   And he only played about a quarter to a quarter and a half before getting hurt.  Calling that a small sample size would be an understatement.  

Just now, chad72 said:

You know what. I am thinking we might not even worry about Leno at this point. If Fisher is going to be a half season rental and we are going to let Tevi, Davenport, Holden battle it out in TC for rights to LT for the first half, there is no huge advantage in having 3 LT candidates signed and muddying it up with Leno more, does that make sense? I am leaning towards the folks at the top thinking that way based on this Fisher signing.

Oh yeah signing Leno is out the window with the Fisher signing.  I am just saying the fact the Colts picked Fisher over Leno when he was out there tells me the Colts feel pretty good about how Fisher’s rehab is going.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He fit the profile of the kind of FA the Colts pursued last season -- guys who don't miss games due to injury. The connection between the Colts and Fisher is obvious, but I think it's unrealistic to expect him to be back nine months after a ruptured Achilles. 

Fisher is probably misses half the season that is why he only gets 9 million when tackles who are elite are making 18 to 20 million so the contract makes sense . He have tons of depth and can try different options q moving to tackle if tevi and Holden fail .  The biggest deal will be the last half of the season and the playoffs . Ballard must think colts are a lock to make the playoffs to sign fisher .

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...    but as noted in my post, Tevi played over 1,000 snaps.   So he’s playing the entire game.   He’s not scoring touchdowns or making great plays in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss.   You can’t call 2 sacks and 4 penalties putting lipstick on a pig. 

All I’m suggesting is that Tevi might actually be better than some here are saying.   The coaches and front office might actually have some idea of what they’re doing.   It’s not inconceivable. 

The Tevi hate reminds me of the Rock hate. A player has one bad game and all of a sudden they are terrible and can’t play. Fans seem to not be able to look at a entire  career. Tevi stats don’t really show he is all that bad.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

With so many in this thread screaming noooooo to Tevi playing at all, perhaps this would be a good time to insert this factoid here....

Last season, 2020, Sam Tevi started over 1,000 snaps for the Chargers and gave up the following....

*** 2 sacks

*** 4 penalties

That's it.   2 sacks, 4 penalties.   Yes, yes, I know all about his pff score.   It’s practically wall peppered to this website now.  Just saying, playing with much better teammates and much better coaching, it’s not unreasonable to think Tevi might play better for the Colts than for the Chargers. 

Interesting. I would have thought more like 10 sacks and a penalty a game the way he's graded and folks talk about him. I think I'll go back and actually watch some chargers game from last year. 

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Call me crazy but wouldn’t the best case scenario be that Tevi works out?

This sounds more like the best case scenario for the Tevi sucks crowd.  

I am neutral on Tevi I don’t really care if he works or not personally but as a Colts fan I want him to work up at least until Fisher is ready because that’s best for the team.

The best case is him playing well. Best case maybe we find our future tackle.  Wouldn’t that be amazing.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For all the talk of Will Holden started for the Colts last season and played well...   let’s remember...  

He only started in an emergency.   And he only played about a quarter to a quarter and a half before getting hurt.  Calling that a small sample size would be an understatement.  

I don’t think using context such as sample size is going to land here... 

After this move I’d be somewhat surprised if Holden made the final roster. Well beyond a few weeks anyway.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Oh yeah signing Leno is out the window with the Fisher signing.  I am just saying the fact the Colts picked Fisher over Leno when he was out there tells me the Colts feel pretty good about how Fisher’s rehab is going.  

It also means they didn’t see Leno as much of a upgrade over Tevi. They are just fine starting Tevi until Fisher gets back.

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

After this move I’d be somewhat surprised if Holden made the final roster. Well beyond a few weeks anyway.

Me as well.  I mean the Colts have cut him in the past and if they liked him as much as some did they wouldn’t have signed other tackles in the off-season.  They only brought him in in an emergency situation last year.  Honestly I think he’s behind Fries on the depth chart right now.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It also means they didn’t see Leno as much of a upgrade over Tevi. They are just fine starting Tevi until Fisher gets back.

I don’t buy that as there were reports they were interested in Leno if they weren’t comfortable with Fisher’s health.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The Tevi hate reminds me of the Rock hate. A player has one bad game and all of a sudden they are terrible and can’t play. Fans seem to not be able to look at a entire  career. Tevi stats don’t really show he is all that bad.

I defended RYS and really pull for him, but his problems are deeper than one game. He hasn't developed into a reliable NFL starter yet.  

So many people with not enough info giving opinions on when he will be ready to play.... 

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/03/01/kc-chiefs-news-eric-fisher-injury-update-achilles-mid-august-return/

The only info we really have is this link, the most recent article i could find with a timetable for his return, and the Colts medical staff and team giving him a physical and then signing him.... 

I'm guessing he plays week 1 of the regular season.

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

You may be 100 percent right.   I only made the post because judging by the responses here Holden has a bigger fan club than Tevi.   Heck, every other OL we have has more fan support than Tevi and that includes the recently drafted 248th overall Fries!   

I hope for us all to be pleasantly surprised...

I think I still would have preferred they just sign Reiff to a one-year deal, who was a bit cheaper and not injured. Hopefully Fisher can get right...and stay healthy. 

Jason Peters came back just fine from the torn Achilles, however, he was a prolific LT.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

This is the other element. I said before, during and after the draft that I think they're okay with Te'vi, if he has to start. The Fisher signing is kind of a bet that he'll get back and be able to play at a reasonably high level, but if he doesn't, they're okay with Te'vi. 

Agreed. A good scenario for them would be Tevi playing for a couple or more games and Fisher returning to finish out the season. They also are probably happy with his versatility. If anything else, he's going to be a good backup to have as the now 17 game season wears on. 

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

same. I bet he plays a lot more than we hope. I’m unsure about this signing right now. Hope some good news gets released about his surgery/rehab soon. 

I agree... Stampedeblue had a nice breakdown on Tevi... after watching that and seeing that he has improved and only allowed 2 sacks last year... I think & hope that Ballard and the staff see more than what we have and can coach him up and make him better than his tape shows... he is athletic and we know that is something Ballard likes

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think that’s an unfair and lazy representation of a lot of posts made so far. 

Agree. It's akin to saying "there's a lot of people that think they are smarter than Ballard." 

Hard to ignore the torn Achilles and unknowns that come with it. 

Love all these i would have signed Leno to "MY Offer" type posts. LMAO
 These people must not get that Ballard had contacted his agent and heard what LENO wanted. Leno moved on and scheduled a trip to Washington.
 And Ballard got who he wanted on the one year contract he wanted.
  They will of course deny it, but i can see the line of negative I Told You So's being mighty long if Fisher has any problems coming back. Gotta laugh at those worried about how much $$$ is involved. CB IS a good CEO.
 In a business that has wide changes every year. I would say he and His team are feeling darn good with the roster Today.
  TY hasn't earned his money any of the last 3 years and has little chance to earn it this year. But they do love'em some TY.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think I mis-remembered the table then, but you're right there was definite split. Did it define what it classed as a 'skill' position? I know a common long term effect of an achilles injury is a loss of explosiveness, which I can understand affecting say a RB/WR, but would equally think it applied to say a CB?

unskilled were OL, DE, and DT if I remember right

11 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

I'm hearing two reports on when the Colts expect Fisher back. Keefer reported the Colts expect him to be back at the end of training camp and early September. Ian reported early October. If Fisher is back by early September the start of the season that is huge news.

This is what Keefer just wrote in the athletic.

The team is comfortable with Fisher’s rehab — he’s “in a good spot,” one source said — but it’s ongoing and likely to keep him sidelined well into training camp. The Colts won’t rush it, but the hope is he’s able to return late in camp or possibly in early September. It could stretch further. Achilles tears are some of the toughest injuries to recover from, so putting an exact timetable on Fisher at this point would be premature. The bottom line, though: After closely evaluating him last week, the Colts felt good about adding Fisher knowing full well he might not be ready until a month or more into the regular season.

ESPN Live - Positive update regarding Fisher injury:

- Stephania Bell said 6 to 9 month recovery

- Main reason his surgery was done by Dr Robert Anderson - pioneered a new achilles surgical technique that uses a smaller incision that has less risk of infection and speedier recovery.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

He missed an entire season.

Brandon Brooks tore his Achilles in the playoffs(January) and started the following season week 1. That's one of the speediest I've heard about. 

This, unfortunately, came with another Achilles injury the following summer(on the other Achilles). No idea if connected in some way(overcompensation?, genetic weakness in the Achilles?)... 

Archived