Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor Was Bad Today

Nickster

Are we allowed to criticize this kid now?  I think he’s good.  Bought his jersey.

but he was a major contributor to the loss today.  The drops were killers and I saw at least twice where he just whiffed in pass pro.  He didn’t play much after that.  

He was also indecisive running like he was in the first half of the season.  

He seemed overwhelmed. should be the only time it happens, but he wasn’t good yesterday.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Are we allowed to criticize this kid now?  I think he’s good.  Bought his jersey.

but he was a major contributor to the loss today.  The drops were killers and I saw at least twice where he just whiffed in pass pro.  He didn’t play much after that.  

He seemed overwhelmed. should be the only time it happens, but he wasn’t good yesterday.

I actually agree, and I like Taylor more than almost anyone on this forum. He had a couple of bad drops, including one in the 2nd half that could of been crucial. I didn't notice the pass protection so much, but I noticed the Bills were getting some pressure, so I buy that. As far as running the ball he was alright, but I think he'll be alright. It is fair to criticize him today, as he probably played below his standards.

16 minutes ago, Nickster said:

A rookie playing in his first NFL playoff? Give the guy a break!

1 minute ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Himself as well as Pittman and the other rookies will use this playoff experience to be better next season 

Yep. Taylor and Pittman did decent against the Bills in their first playoff game. We are much better with them than without them. We need one more solid draft class to be contenders IMO. Hopefully we get the QB situation figured out. The 2020 class by itself seems like a hit, especially if you include Buckner.

34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Don’t forget the missed throw by rivers twice to pitman that would have been touch downs 

I thought he played well.  The two drops, but Hines had a big one as well.

The guys played well overall.  Better than most expected.

We just had a handful of “moments”.  But every team roes every game.

I am frustrated that we really controlled the game on many levels. We needed more points , mainly red zone, to go with the yards, field position, and time of possession that we led in.

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

Don’t forget the missed throw by rivers twice to pitman that would have been touch downs 

Rivers was really under pressure on that one.  Surprised he got it off at all really.  But.... soooooo close.

I was as very impressed we were able to  made it a game at the end.  It could gave easily turned out 31-17 the way it looked.  That session of no points when on the one, with the Turay “jump” that added 4 extra points, and the misses FG.  That stretch was our downfall imo.  Thats lije a minimum 10 point swing in my view.  Thats what i’ll frustratingly remember most from the game.  The rest i can kinda live with. 

Taylor had 21 carries for 78 Yards and a TD, I wouldn't call that bad?? Obviously he wasn't great either lmao but he was above average at worse. Buffalo loaded up to stop him and wanted Rivers to beat them and Rivers almost did. There was a couple crucial plays that went against us, the offsides at the end of the 1st half giving them a TD instead of a FG and Blakenship's missed FG hurt as well. It is what it is because most games are like that. In the end you can always point to 2 or 3 plays when a game is close to why you win or lose.

People will point to Frank for going for it as well before the half but I was ok with it, many aren't though. If we get that we are up 17-7 and probably win.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

He dropped two passes but it doesn't make him bad. Rodrigo missed a chip shot is he bad.

I sort of saw what you saw. Definitely the drops, and some of the runs looked more like earlier in the season. I thought he could have gotten more yards out of the runs if he didnt immediately run into the back of a pile. He had some nice runs here and there. Look like the speed and pace of play effected him a little. He wasnt totally terrible.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I sort of saw what you saw. Definitely the drops, and some of the runs looked more like earlier in the season. I thought he could have gotten more yards out of the runs if he didnt immediately run into the back of a pile. He had some nice runs here and there. Look like the speed and pace of play effected him a little.

They loaded the box to stop him and he still had 78 yards and a TD. He wasn't bad, the drop passes were unusual, I think he had a couple but they weren't costly.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I sort of saw what you saw. Definitely the drops, and some of the runs looked more like earlier in the season. I thought he could have gotten more yards out of the runs if he didnt immediately run into the back of a pile. He had some nice runs here and there. Look like the speed and pace of play effected him a little. He wasnt totally terrible.

He wasn’t good.  They definitely stacked against the run.  He had a 20 yd run in the 4q after a long run by Hines, other than that the average was dismal.  20 other rushes for 50 yds.  Some of it was the run blitzing etc, but i am sure Taylor and staff will clearly see that Taylor played very poorly when they watch video.  It will be a hard watch for JT.

someone was saying the drops didn’t hurt but they were killers.  Both on 2nd down inside Bills territory with room to run and sure 1st downs.  The drops resulted in 2 third and longs we didn’t convert and he missed a block on one of them at least.  These were costly plays that directly contributed to the murder of promising drives and as much as any other 2 plays we had the entire game IMO.  

I am pretty sure he’s doing poorly overall I pass pro too, which I think is a major factor in him not being on the field in many passing downs.  He will work on that and likely be improved next year.  Right now he appears to be a liability there.

The kid is a good player but he wasn’t yesterday.  

17 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He wasn’t good.  They definitely stacked against the run.  He had a 20 yd run in the 4q after a long run by Hines, other than that the average was dismal.  20 other rushes for 50 yds.  Some of it was the run blitzing etc, but i am sure Taylor and staff will clearly see that Taylor played very poorly when they watch video.  It will be a hard watch for JT.

someone was saying the drops didn’t hurt but they were killers.  Both on 2nd down inside Bills territory with room to run and sure 1st downs.  The drops resulted in 2 third and longs we didn’t convert and he missed a block on one of them at least.  These were costly plays that directly contributed to the murder of promising drives and as much as any other 2 plays we had the entire game IMO.  

I am pretty sure he’s doing poorly overall I pass pro too, which I think is a major factor in him not being on the field in many passing downs.  He will work on that and likely be improved next year.  Right now he appears to be a liability there.

The title of your thread said he was "bad", he wasn't. I am sure you read my posts because I am in here a lot. That is why I always classify things as bad, below average, average, above average, good, very good, or great. Bad is a little extreme. His stats running were above average, the 2 drop passes were bad but it happens. You have been all over him all year lmao and he is a good player in reality. It was his first playoff game so why dump on him? If he would've had like 12 carries for 30 yards I could see it :thmup:

Taylor did his job.  Yup he missed on some plays and some others he turned nothing into gains.  He doesn’t need “reprimanded” or criticized bc he knows what he did wrong.  On one of the drops he was coming off the field and Hynes said something to him.  I believe it was encouragement bc the kid knew exactly what he just messed up.  Being a leader isn’t coming down on people all the time when they make a mistake.  It’s putting people in positions to succeed and letting them learn from their mistakes and helping them correct them.  Most of the time they do it themselves. People thrive when given opportunities.  

The Bills are a very good team and have a chance to win the Super Bowl. The Colts didn’t play bad, the were beat by a better team. It happens every year in sports.  Only one team wins it all and this Colts team exceeded Expectations 

His play resembled more of early season than late season. Besides the 2 drops he wasn't running like the last few games.

Was he terrible? No

But it was a playoff game, lose and your eliminated AND WE NEEDED him to play big, and he didn't and because of that he was as much to blame as anyone else. 

I think the whole team played below expectations from the simple fact that too many mistakes were made.  Many more than what the Bills had really.  Even their one MAJOR one with the Allen fumble they managed to recover it.  Imagine had the Colts managed to fall on that?  Completely different game but they couldn't do it.  That, along with other mistakes, cost them in the end.  It wasn't just Taylor, it was the whole lot of'em.

That said, if they hadn't been so busy with self-inflicted wounds I thought this team was the better team Saturday.

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I think the whole team played below expectations from the simple fact that too many mistakes were made.  Many more than what the Bills had really.  Even their one MAJOR one with the Allen fumble they managed to recover it.  Imagine had the Colts managed to fall on that?  Completely different game but they couldn't do it.  That, along with other mistakes, cost them in the end.  It wasn't just Taylor, it was the whole lot of'em.

That said, if they hadn't been so busy with self-inflicted wounds I thought this team was the better team Saturday.

That was a huge play, if we scoop and score or even recover and go down and score we probably win. They got lucky there.

It was obvious in the first series that he didn't have the same "pop" in his legs or decisiveness in seeing and hitting the hole. It happens.

He gutted it out and had a positive impact on the game on a day when he wasn't at his best. When we needed a big play, he did come through. That 4th and 1 late in the game was huge, and it was all JT.

I hated that we ran him into the ground last week, but it was a must win situation. Also hated all the praise and attention and awards he got before the game because it just puts a TON of pressure on a rookie. With every single media head saying they expected him to have a great game against Bills run defense, and that we should keep the ball out of Rivers hands, it was a recipe for disaster. I can only imagine how nervous he was. 

Uncharacteristic drops are actually very common in playoff games. Still remember Marvin Harrison dropping that first quarter pass from Peyton Manning in 07 playoff game vs Chargers. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Taylor went into this game with a ankle injury also.  This was probably a game where Reich could of ran with the hot hand lord in Hines. He averaged 12 yards a carry. 

I thought he had a shoulder injury from the injury report? I don’t remember seeing ankle injury. Did I miss that?

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Rivers was really under pressure on that one.  Surprised he got it off at all really.  But.... soooooo close.

I was as very impressed we were able to  made it a game at the end.  It could gave easily turned out 31-17 the way it looked.  That session of no points when on the one, with the Turay “jump” that added 4 extra points, and the misses FG.  That stretch was our downfall imo.  Thats lije a minimum 10 point swing in my view.  Thats what i’ll frustratingly remember most from the game.  The rest i can kinda live with. 

Yes I agree with you and what stood out to me was not taking the points and missing the 4th down try. You always take the points in the playoffs . Rods missed fg and turay jumping off sides was a major play like literally why would u jump on a 4th down try. Rivers 2 misses to Pitman and Hines and Taylor drop passes 

So you think they put the scat back Hines in on 3rd downs for pass protection???  Go back and watch the 3rd downs again.  The only times Hines is in on 3rd down he’s running pass routes. The most blocking he’s doing is chipping before releasing into a route.  Taylor is the back they use for pass protection. And he’s the best at it.  

Having said that, I did notice him getting beat once (could have been more) for sure.  He met the rusher in the hole but didn’t sustain his block. The guy basically pushed him back and out of the way and went right after Rivers.  Rivers got the pass off and completed it but it was still poor blocking from Taylor because the defender beat him fairly easily on that play. 

42 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

So you think they put the scat back Hines in on 3rd downs for pass protection???  Go back and watch the 3rd downs again.  The only times Hines is in on 3rd down he’s running pass routes. The most blocking he’s doing is chipping before releasing into a route.  Taylor is the back they use for pass protection. And he’s the best at it.  

Having said that, I did notice him getting beat once (could have been more) for sure.  He met the rusher in the hole but didn’t sustain his block. The guy basically pushed him back and out of the way and went right after Rivers.  Rivers got the pass off and completed it but it was still poor blocking from Taylor because the defender beat him fairly easily on that play. 

Hines stays in mote than you realize would be my guess.

4 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Taylor is the least of the Colts concerns he has an amazing year and was the best rookie RB.

I agree.  But he wasn’t good yesterday.  

Well he didn’t run for 250 again, so I guess so...come on. The drops were very untimely, but he ran hard and with heart. How many times was he met in the backfield and made something of it? How many times did he break one or more tackles? 

Micha Hyde was on a tear yesterday and made several big plays. I’m not sure if that’s his norm or not, but he was everywhere. I knew he was good, but damn. 

You’d guess wrong.  No way you believe a 200 pound (if he’s that big) Hines is gonna hold up regularly blocking 250 pound linebackers or 300 pound linemen in the hole?  Hines is in on 3rd down as a receiving weapon. Not for protection purposes. So much so they often just go empty when he’s in on 3rd downs or run the draw with him. 

56 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Hines stays in mote than you realize would be my guess.

I agree.  But he wasn’t good yesterday.  

Yes he was good yesterday. He rushed right at his season average. If a back rushes for 78 yards a game all season that is 1250 yards on the ground, which would still be top 3 in the league.  This same Bill defense held Derrick Freaking Henry to 57 yards.  Taylor didn’t play at an elite level but he did play very well.  Focusing on his negative plays while not taking into account his positives is ridiculous.  

Just now, Shepman said:

How about our pass game is so absymal in stretching the field that he ran well.  He did not catch well though which was disappointing.

His running was less than league average ypc.  That is not goo.  The drops really hurt and he was getting beat in pass pro.

Archived