Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor Was Bad Today

Nickster

18 minutes ago, Nickster said:

His running was less than league average ypc.  That is not goo.  The drops really hurt and he was getting beat in pass pro.

A couple of bad plays doesn't mean he was bad overall, just like a few great plays doesn't mean he was great overall.

Overall he was good.  Not great, not bad, just good.

That was kind of the case for the entire team.  There were bad moments and there were great moments.  We were good, just not good enough.  :dunno:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JT may have had some jitters. He’ll fix that.... he’s a rookie.  This kid is a beast of a running back, and I love him. But yes, the two drops were very costly, as was the Hines drop and the Pascal drop. The Colts made key mistakes that the Bills didn’t. That was the difference, together with some coaching brain spasms. 

8 hours ago, Nickster said:

Are we allowed to criticize this kid now?  I think he’s good.  Bought his jersey.

but he was a major contributor to the loss today.  The drops were killers and I saw at least twice where he just whiffed in pass pro.  He didn’t play much after that.  

He was also indecisive running like he was in the first half of the season.  

He seemed overwhelmed. should be the only time it happens, but he wasn’t good yesterday.

Agreed. The drops killed us. However, hecwas running into a wall and not much he could do. Bills were selling out to play the run. Did u not watch before the snap as the Bills D was crowding thd line?? Wrs dropped balls and Rivers made some errant passes. The passing game failed the Colts

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

So you think they put the scat back Hines in on 3rd downs for pass protection???  Go back and watch the 3rd downs again.  The only times Hines is in on 3rd down he’s running pass routes. The most blocking he’s doing is chipping before releasing into a route.  Taylor is the back they use for pass protection. And he’s the best at it.  

Having said that, I did notice him getting beat once (could have been more) for sure.  He met the rusher in the hole but didn’t sustain his block. The guy basically pushed him back and out of the way and went right after Rivers.  Rivers got the pass off and completed it but it was still poor blocking from Taylor because the defender beat him fairly easily on that play. 

Man Hines is pretty well known as a good pass protector in blitz pick up.  Backs a responsible for a blitz protection read or hot route on passing downs.  

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Man Hines is pretty well known as a good pass protector in blitz pick up.  Backs a responsible for a blitz protection read or hot route on passing downs.  

I’d like to see a breakdown of how many times Hines stayed in and only blocked on pass plays.  I remember him mostly either going out and lining up wide or chipping and then going out into routes unless they ran him on the draw.  You could be right though that he stayed in more often than I remember. 

I think it's a bit silly to be hard on JT. He had one bad play (the drop). The other drop IIRC was on a play I thought he was about ready to get blown up on (for a loss?), so probably good it wasn't caught. Hines had a bad drop too. There were several other drops by others as well.

Keep in mind that they stacked the box a lot with DBs to key on Taylor. IMO, Reich missed a chance to make them pay for that. Some good screens, running the edge (between the 20s, and I don't mean traditional over tackle only), and some more slants to the bigs when DBs and LBs were plugging holes would have helped. Anyway, they made stopping JT running their priority, and it was pretty obvious. The adjustments just weren't there.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's a bit silly to be hard on JT. He had one bad play (the drop). The other drop IIRC was on a play I thought he was about ready to get blown up on (for a loss?), so probably good it wasn't caught. Hines had a bad drop too. There were several other drops by others as well.

Keep in mind that they stacked the box a lot with DBs to key on Taylor. IMO, Reich missed a chance to make them pay for that. Some good screens, running the edge (between the 20s, and I don't mean traditional over tackle only), and some more slants to the bigs when DBs and LBs were plugging holes would have helped. Anyway, they made stopping JT running their priority, and it was pretty obvious. The adjustments just weren't there.

I did notice that their db’s were really keying on Taylor in the running game.  He was clearly their primary focus on stopping. Was wondering if we could have done more to make them pay for that (or maybe we did/tried)?

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I did notice that their db’s were really keying on Taylor in the running game.  He was clearly their primary focus on stopping. Was wondering if we could have done more to make them pay for that (or maybe we did/tried)?

Yup. They play Nickel like 70% of the time anyway, but they play differently than we do on D. They were much tighter (vertically and horizontally) than our scheme. They give a ton of different looks, never letting you know if they are staying in, going back, or where help is coming from. 

IMO, we didn't do near enough to make them pay. We did use TEs more, which worked extremely well, but IMO, we could have done that more (especially in the RZ), and we could have hit the edge rushing (not on goal line, just pure speed rush with a TE or TEs leading). Rushing wise, we seemed way too predictable. 

4 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

If Taylor was bad, what was Henry????

2 wrongs don't make a right......in this case its 2 bad games dont make a good game lol.

Seriously,  like I said earlier, JT wasn't terrible.  But he wasn't good either. And in a elimination game with a inferior passing attack we needed him to play like he had the last few games and sadly he didn't. 

19 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

If Taylor was bad, what was Henry????

Yup. When opponents key on Henry like they did JT, you have to make them pay in other areas. Rivers did a very good job. Tannehill didn't quite meet the challenge. Tannehill wasn't bad, just couldn't replicate the job he did when the Bills shut down Henry, and Tannehill was incredibly efficient and threw 3 TDs. Bills did a lot of same things vs us, and Rivers did well. Just some very bad coaching calls, and a few player mistakes, and we win that game. Taylor, or his drop, was not a top 5 reason we lost. 

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Taylor and Pittman did decent against the Bills in their first playoff game. We are much better with them than without them. We need one more solid draft class to be contenders IMO. Hopefully we get the QB situation figured out. The 2020 class by itself seems like a hit, especially if you include Buckner.

Imo, we are already contenders. I'd say only the chiefs are clearly better. 

1 minute ago, cbear said:

Imo, we are already contenders. I'd say only the chiefs are clearly better. 

The Bills are only because of Josh Allen. He's a top 3 QB and will continue to get better. We will lose Rivers either this year or next, after that, we'll either be forced to draft a QB or sign another veteran. If we trade for Watson, I think we can beat the Chiefs.

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. When opponents key on Henry like they did JT, you have to make them pay in other areas. Rivers did a very good job. Tannehill didn't quite meet the challenge. Tannehill wasn't bad, just couldn't replicate the job he did when the Bills shut down Henry, and Tannehill was incredibly efficient and threw 3 TDs. Bills did a lot of same things vs us, and Rivers did well. Just some very bad coaching calls, and a few player mistakes, and we win that game. Taylor, or his drop, was not a top 5 reason we lost. 

The two drops killed two drives inside the Bills territory.  Both plays were sure first downs and possibly much more.  They were as bad as the Turay offsides.  

Also, it’s not entirely on JT but with the exception of one 20 yd run he was not very good. 

Also, and I think you watch film, when you do you’ll see that he was poor in pass pro.  Very poor.  PR covered it some by dumping it off, but if JT picks up his blocks, likely bigger plays are open downfield.

I think it’s fairly obvious that Taylor had a bad overall performance and was a significant contributor to the loss.  This shouldn’t be controversial imo.

7 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I’d like to see a breakdown of how many times Hines stayed in and only blocked on pass plays.  I remember him mostly either going out and lining up wide or chipping and then going out into routes unless they ran him on the draw.  You could be right though that he stayed in more often than I remember. 

Well back have assignments.  If a team blitzes in the backs area, they have to pick it up or get to the correct area on most plays they are lined up in the backfield.  This would supersede the route called presnap in many cases.

anyone that rewatches Sunday’s game will see JT was inadequate in this role Sunday.

I said earlier that I expect him to improve at this.  

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. They play Nickel like 70% of the time anyway, but they play differently than we do on D. They were much tighter (vertically and horizontally) than our scheme. They give a ton of different looks, never letting you know if they are staying in, going back, or where help is coming from. 

IMO, we didn't do near enough to make them pay. We did use TEs more, which worked extremely well, but IMO, we could have done that more (especially in the RZ), and we could have hit the edge rushing (not on goal line, just pure speed rush with a TE or TEs leading). Rushing wise, we seemed way too predictable. 

Part of the inability to make them pay is a diminished TY.  Hes pro enough to be a guy but certainly isn’t good enough to be the guy.

His catch radius is minuscule.  The pass from PR downfield was masterful, and you need a guy to go up and high point that catch, not wait to cradle it over the shoulder.

TY has never been this type of WR, but he no longer gets as open as he used to.

I think a flaw in your analysis of Indy is not recognizing that we have no red zone type of guy. Almost   Every other team left does.  KC Kielce.  Bills Diggs.  NO Thomas.  TB everyone in the WR corps.  GB Adams.  LAR Krupp.

Cle had OBJ and are fringy IMo.  They were fortuneate Ben decided to play catch with them.

only exception is Balt and they have Jackson.  

we are weak at red zone receiving types with PRs immobility, it’s a challenge.

I think Reich does amazing things scheming guys open, but you are going to need someone who can just make a play.

On 1/10/2021 at 5:22 AM, Mr.Debonair said:

He dropped two passes. That was it. Neither were costly. 

I would disagree that they weren't costly.  I am pretty sure one was on third down and killed a drive.

But I would also say the rookies did pretty good.  The difference between the Colts and Bills was interesting.  I didn't see the Bills giving the Colts anything.  But the Colts made mistakes and missed on important plays and that cost the game.  Time for this team to make the next step in maturity.

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

Part of the inability to make them pay is a diminished TY.  Hes pro enough to be a guy but certainly isn’t good enough to be the guy.

His catch radius is minuscule.  The pass from PR downfield was masterful, and you need a guy to go up and high point that catch, not wait to cradle it over the shoulder.

TY has never been this type of WR, but he no longer gets as open as he used to.

I think a flaw in your analysis of Indy is not recognizing that we have no red zone type of guy. Almost   Every other team left does.  KC Kielce.  Bills Diggs.  NO Thomas.  TB everyone in the WR corps.  GB Adams.  LAR Krupp.

Cle had OBJ and are fringy IMo.  They were fortuneate Ben decided to play catch with them.

only exception is Balt and they have Jackson.  

we are weak at red zone receiving types with PRs immobility, it’s a challenge.

I think Reich does amazing things scheming guys open, but you are going to need someone who can just make a play.

There is going to be enough WRs in free agency we should look at if we let TY go. TY is great between the 20s but a red zone threat, he is not. Julio Jones on the cheap would be good for both. Allen Robinson may not want to go back to a bad QB situation in Chicago. JuJu Smith Schuster fits the slot big target for the red zone we want if we can get him on the cheap due to off field stuff he does or says. We could re-unite Agholor with Reich, I would be on board 100% with that but I suspect the Raiders will release Tyrell Williams to make room for signing Agholor, and we could kick the tires on Tyrell Williams, and he could have a re-union with Reich and Rivers as well. The biggest X factor is Parris Campbell and if he is healthy and back, our WRs will separate, we just need to have a clear direction.

There will be possibilities we could pursue. But of course, re-sign Braden Smith, Veldheer and Leonard first. 

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Sure he dropped two passes, but Taylor didn't lose this game, come on. 

I didn't say he lost the game for us.  His pass pro and lackluster running contributed to the loss along with the two very costly drops inside Bills territory.  I can't think of one significant play he made that wouldn't have been made by average types of RBs Sunday, which surprised me.  Maybe on the 20 yd run he gained an extra couple with the speed, but he had yards of space all around him for about 10 of the yds. 

He looked tenative and overwhelmed.  I think it will probably be the only time in the playoffs, but it was surprising to me in the light of how well and decisively he's played the last serveral weeks.

The last month I saw several plays that were elite.  I think he had a bad day, and a portion of the loss is on his pass pro and bad drops of sure 1st downs and more in opponets territory.

The dude just was't good Sunday, that's all.  

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

There is going to be enough WRs in free agency we should look at if we let TY go. TY is great between the 20s but a red zone threat, he is not. Julio Jones on the cheap would be good for both. Allen Robinson may not want to go back to a bad QB situation in Chicago. JuJu Smith Schuster fits the slot big target for the red zone we want if we can get him on the cheap due to off field stuff he does or says. We could re-unite Agholor with Reich, I would be on board 100% with that but I suspect the Raiders will release Tyrell Williams to make room for signing Agholor, and we could kick the tires on Tyrell Williams, and he could have a re-union with Reich and Rivers as well. The biggest X factor is Parris Campbell and if he is healthy and back, our WRs will separate, we just need to have a clear direction.

There will be possibilities we could pursue. But of course, re-sign Braden Smith, Veldheer and Leonard first. 

I think Robinson would work well. 

I don't think Campbell is projected to be a big red zone type of guy though, but if he's healthy and we still have PR, I think our offense will get a massive injection of firepower.  

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I didn't say he lost the game for us.  His pass pro and lackluster running contributed to the loss.  I can't think of one significant play he made that wouldn't have been made by average types of RBs Sunday, which surprised me.  

He looked tenative and overwhelmed.  I think it will probably be the only time in the playoffs, but it was surprising to me in the light of how well and decisively he's played the last serveral weeks.

The last month I saw several plays that were elite.  I think he had a bad day, and a portion of the loss is on his pass pro and bad drops of sure 1st downs and more in opponets territory.

The dude just was't good Sunday, that's all.  

He looked tentative as many running plays were blown up and he had nowhere to go. Henry looked "tentative" also. Happens when defenses crowd the LOS and play the run and it is a running play.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

He looked tentative as many running plays were blown up and he had nowhere to go. Henry looked "tentative" also. Happens when defenses crowd the LOS and play the run and it is a running play.

Well the drops and missed blocks were not for that reason.

At the start of the game, JT and Pittman were carrying the Colts. It was a joy to see. 

JT seemed like he started to overthink things. The drops, the missed protections. He'll be back better.

On another note, Nyheim Hines has absolutely turned into Darren Sproles. Never thought he'd get there but all it took was a QB who loves throwing to RBs.

On 1/10/2021 at 6:16 AM, Nickster said:

Are we allowed to criticize this kid now?  I think he’s good.  Bought his jersey.

but he was a major contributor to the loss today.  The drops were killers and I saw at least twice where he just whiffed in pass pro.  He didn’t play much after that.  

He was also indecisive running like he was in the first half of the season.  

He seemed overwhelmed. should be the only time it happens, but he wasn’t good yesterday.

Sure, criticize away. The 2 drops were brutal, wide open and very untimely. So were Pascal's, TY, and Hines. The thing is, they were also against the norm. He proved to be more than capable catching and we saw what he can do with handoffs. Our season would not have been near as successful without him. Rookie in his first playoff game, on the road against one of the hottest teams in the NFL, kid gets a pass in my book. Don't think you will turn many into JT haters.

16 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

At the start of the game, JT and Pittman were carrying the Colts. It was a joy to see. 

JT seemed like he started to overthink things. The drops, the missed protections. He'll be back better.

On another note, Nyheim Hines has absolutely turned into Darren Sproles. Never thought he'd get there but all it took was a QB who loves throwing to RBs.

Agreed one hundred percently.  Did you notice the missed protections too?  It was pretty bad yesterday.  I absolutely think he got to thinking to much.  Everything was a half step slow.

That is one of the reasons that I hope PR tries to play again.  Even though he's no running threat, there aren't many guys who throw short as well as him and we have the guys to benefit from that.

12 hours ago, Nickster said:

The two drops killed two drives inside the Bills territory.  Both plays were sure first downs and possibly much more.  They were as bad as the Turay offsides.  

Also, it’s not entirely on JT but with the exception of one 20 yd run he was not very good. 

Also, and I think you watch film, when you do you’ll see that he was poor in pass pro.  Very poor.  PR covered it some by dumping it off, but if JT picks up his blocks, likely bigger plays are open downfield.

I think it’s fairly obvious that Taylor had a bad overall performance and was a significant contributor to the loss.  This shouldn’t be controversial imo.

Like I said, the second drop looked to me (I'll rewatch at some point) as a play that would have immediately been blown up. 

The rest, Buffalo was clearly keying on him. Just like they keyed on Henry. Look at Henry's performance vs the Bills. 

Archived