Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers not clutch / is terrible (merge)

James

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He never has been.  Never will be.  Just a fact.

I don't see how you have him as your qb next year if you want to take the next step. 

Yes he can get you 9 or 10 wins a season.  But the chances of going all the way with him are very slim.

He just does not have the ability to throw the ball downfield with any regularity and consistency, and you can't win the SB like that.

IMO you either go with Eason next year or go with someone else and draft another QB.

2 minutes ago, StatesmanN said:

I don't see how you have him as your qb next year if you want to take the next step. 

Yes he can get you 9 or 10 wins a season.  But the chances of going all the way with him are very slim.

He just does not have the ability to throw the ball downfield with any regularity and consistency, and you can't win the SB like that.

IMO you either go with Eason next year or go with someone else and draft another QB.

Absolutely, I'm worried Reich will be too attached to him and decide to waste another year of our very talented young players career's. 

3 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

Absolutely, I'm worried Reich will be too attached to him and decide to waste another year of our very talented young players career's. 

Absolutely that is going to happen.  Reich has already said he wants him back.

Reminds me a lot of Irsay staying with Pagano for so long.

Blind loyalty is maddening.  Everybody knows that the Colts can't win the SB with Rivers. 

So why stay with him?  Makes no sense.

I’ve just grown tired of the limitations this offense has with such a statue back there.

Like, sure, I know he makes up for it to some degree with his intelligence...but the fact that our starting QB can’t run, can’t really extend plays...I mean, that’s a huge thing to not have to worry about as an opposing defense.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’ve just grown tired of the limitations this offense has with such a statue back there.

Like, sure, I know he makes up for it to some degree with his intelligence...but the fact that our starting QB can’t run, can’t really extend plays, it just gets grating.

Can't run.  Can't throw downfield.  Probably the 2 biggest assets a QB needs in today's NFL and we have neither.

Rivers and Reich need to pray and find the humility to accept that they will only go as far as Taylor takes them.  We are basically in the playoffs now because we have no margin for error.  Truly have been for weeks. Today was the day to fully unleash Taylor. He’s a 3 down back like Edge.  He needs 25-30 touches a game.

Why we didn’t get it to him in the 2nd half is a big question and an indictment against both Frank & Rivers for not recognizing it.  Romo did. We find a way to phase the kid out of most of our losses & I’m sick of it.

Ballard has built a roster to contend and Frank & Rivers are holding it back by not utilizing the weapons we have to maximum effectiveness. 

2 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Rivers overthrows guys downfield on 40+ yard passes. Idk what games you’ve watched. 

I don't mean throwing it up like a balloon 45 to 50 yards down field with no ooomph and looking like a blimp.  I can do that.

The point I am making is he cannot throw a loaded RPM/Spin ball with VELOCITY 15-35 yards downfield.  Especially down the middle.  That takes away a huge part of the field on offense.  Even Peyton, who did not have the strongest arm, could do it when he wanted to.

River's can't. 

Since those with "Power" lol want so delete my thread. Here is what I wrote:

Colts vs Steelers Dec 27, 2020

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friendly Reminder

Rackeen305 replied to danlhart87's topic in Colts Football

Ok, I understand that you are used to Divisional banners hanging in the rafters instead of Championship banners. Thats why you make excuses for Phillip. the Steelers, and other teams dont make excuses nor care for divisional banners. 2nd place is good for you. Not for others. #TheU

Friendly Reminder

I blame the lost on lip because when we win (see the Bengals game and a few others) you give Rivers the credit when it's actually been special teams, and defense. It sounds like you have an excuse for the lost. Rivers was 24/42 1 TD, 1 INT. and almost had 2 INTs. Did you give JB excuses last year once we lost to the STEELERS when he got hurt in that game after been stepped on by Big Q? ok then. NO EXCUSES for Rivers. He's a HOFer isnt he??

November 29

------------------------------------------------------

Phillip Rivers

Rackeen305 replied to Scott Pennock's topic in Colts Football

But just last year, first game of the season, Colts lose to Rivers and Chargers by 3 points. Did you blame AV for missing FGs or did you call out JB? Same thing with Pittsburgh game where JB gets hurt. So why not Rivers? Have a great season. Just be consistent with your POV.

September 14

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friendly Reminder

Im talking to everyone who believe that this loss is't a big deal. Guys this team nearly lost against the Bengals. If it wasn't for special team and timely INTs from our Defense, this team would have loss to the Bengals. Lets not act lost. Then the Ravens, Half time score: 10 - 7. Final score 10 - 24. We didn't score not 1 point in the 3rd or 4th Quarter. If you guys are still saying it doesn't matter, the I know that the expectations are low and the writing...

November 29

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anything changed from Nov 29th? When the Colts play a Playoff team, the results are the same. Fans want to be overly joyful when the Colts beat the Bengals who gave up 21 points and a rookie QB. Now beat someone your own size.

mic drop... Has anything changed?? Now callout the same position you did the year prior. Until then, the results will be the same until adequate change is made there. NO EXCUSES!

Steelers halftime score: 21- 7, final score 24-28. RIvers didnt throw 1 TD in the second half. And you want to beat the Chefs, Ravens, and Bills in the playoffs?

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

This one is on Frank, not Rivers. 

Agreed. No way you should lose this one when you've got a generous lead with basically a quarter and a half to play.

I'm a homer till death, but I'm absolutely upset at this team today. They shouldn't have lost this one regardless of the one or two breakdowns they had. 

It was pitch and catch for them the entire 4th.

Limp arm can’t complete passes,,,,,again when it matters. How long do we as fans have to put up with sub par play and coaching??? It’s heartbreaking all the time, we have talent (except for QB) but why is “smart coaching” always losing football games ??? 

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Since those with "Power" lol want so delete my thread. Here is what I wrote:

Colts vs Steelers Dec 27, 2020

Friendly Reminder

Im talking to everyone who believe that this loss is't a big deal. Guys this team nearly lost against the Bengals. If it wasn't for special team and timely INTs from our Defense, this team would have loss to the Bengals. Lets not act lost. Then the Ravens, Half time score: 10 - 7. Final score 10 - 24. We didn't score not 1 point in the 3rd or 4th Quarter. If you guys are still saying it doesn't matter, the I know that the expectations are low and the writing...

November 29

Friendly Reminder

Ok, I understand that you are used to Divisional banners hanging in the rafters instead of Championship banners. Thats why you make excuses for Phillip. the Steelers, and other teams dont make excuses nor care for divisional banners. 2nd place is good for you. Not for others. #TheU

Friendly Reminder

I blame the lost on lip because when we win (see the Bengals game and a few others) you give Rivers the credit when it's actually been special teams, and defense. It sounds like you have an excuse for the lost. Rivers was 24/42 1 TD, 1 INT. and almost had 2 INTs. Did you give JB excuses last year once we lost to the STEELERS when he got hurt in that game after been stepped on by Big Q? ok then. NO EXCUSES for Rivers. He's a HOFer isnt he??

November 29

------------------------------------------------------

Phillip Rivers

Rackeen305 replied to Scott Pennock's topic in Colts Football

But just last year, first game of the season, Colts lose to Rivers and Chargers by 3 points. Did you blame AV for missing FGs or did you call out JB? Same thing with Pittsburgh game where JB gets hurt. So why not Rivers? Have a great season. Just be consistent with your POV.

September 14

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anything changed from Nov 29th? When the Colts play a Playoff team, the results are the same. Fans want to be overly joyful when the Colts beat the Bengals who gave up 21 points and a rookie QB. Now beat someone your own size.

mic drop... Has anything changed?? Now callout the same position you did the year prior. Until then, the results will be the same until adequate change is made there. NO EXCUSES!

Oh boy you showed them, congratulations. You win everything. The world is now yours.

19 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

Get him out of here, I don't care who is the QB next year. Just don't let it be Rivers. He's not bad but he will NEVER win anything on the Colts. 

You can blame Phil all you want but Riech had him throwing the ball to start the second half when up two scores when we could have kept running JT. Frank botched period.

3 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Oh boy you showed them, congratulations. You win everything. The world is now yours.

No where were you months ago when I made my points? Being a troll and calling me hellacious names right? if not then why reply. 

Better yet. lol

if you guys are still saying it doesn't matter, the I know that the expectations are low and the writing...

November 29 

He's only been here a year. He only will be here at most a year most, so stop acting like you've suffered so much with him at the helm. A franchise QB like Luck leaving abruptly always has ripple effects, but PR has been an okay gap at this point before they make their actual move on that.

I dont think 'giving the reigns' for PR to throw the ball the entire game will ever work, and whenever Reich does it, PR finds ways to lose. We could make a run if he would truly play more of a game manager role, but he is too much of a gunslinger for that so idk...

Just now, Rackeen305 said:

No where were you months ago when I made my points? Being a troll and calling me hellacious names right? if not then why reply. 

I doubt I’ve ever responded to you before, but who knows maybe. 

I just commented because you act like the people with “ Power” are trying to suppress you because you’re some profit trying to spread the truth when in fact, you just like to troll. 

Besides the awful INT, I don’t have much problem with his play today. Reich played into Pitt’s hands with long developing pass plays. We rarely made them pay for bringing pressure. Quick screens, tunnel screens, etc. We hit on a bit screen pass and never saw it again.

Rivers is who he is. Reich and Flus were awful in the 2nd half

• Nadine changed the title to Rivers not clutch / is terrible (merge)
8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

You can blame Phil all you want but Riech had him throwing the ball to start the second half when up two scores when we could have kept running JT. Frank botched period.

Yeah I know Frank was terrible today. But Rivers can't lead a game winning drive, he just can't. And when you're QB can't do that you need to part ways. This team will win nothing if we don't get a franchise QB soon. I miss Luck......

31 minutes ago, StatesmanN said:

No way he is our QB next year Reich needs to get over his crush on him

Rivers has a bad foot...  Hey I was on the train. He may not be our QB next year. This game today wasn’t on him though. I just can’t find myself to blame him after what I watched. Our 3rd down defense didn’t help in the second half as well. 

18 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I guess the point is every team is going to have issues with coaching, penalties, bad defense, bad luck etc.

The difference is Rivers is not good enough to overcome any of that. 

Yes he generally does not make huge mistakes or lose you a game, but the Colts win when either special teams or the D steps up.  Rarely do the Colts blow a team out on offense and run away with it. Or come from behind.  Things that a strong quality QB does.

So when bad coaching or penalties or bad luck comes into play?  A better, stronger, more mobile, younger Qb can overcome that and win you a game.

Rivers cannot do that.  Really never has been able to do that.

4 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

Yeah I know Frank was terrible today. But Rivers can't lead a game winning drive, he just can't. And when you're QB can't do that you need to part ways. This team will win nothing if we don't get a franchise QB soon. I miss Luck......

I dont know he made a few questionable throws but TY got ran over with no call I think he had a chance on that ball.

Archived