Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers not clutch / is terrible (merge)

James

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some people still not happy, 11-5 and Phil was good this year and we made the playoffs. This is what my main man thinks about it happy homer simpson GIF

He’s a huge part of the reason this team went from 7-9 to 11-5 and the playoffs.  They had competent QB play which made other teams honor the passing game.  Exactly why he was brought here.  Most that don’t like him is because he’s not Rodgers level but he was never expected to be.   

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Deep down I figured Miami would be our out, I was right for a change lmao . All the other teams were no help.

I did as well, and even Fitzpatrick being there to bail out the rookie Tua, I was confident that Buffalo would win this game but when Ryan was ruled out, I was pretty sure the Bills could beat Miami even with their backups.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s a huge part of the reason this team went from 7-9 to 11-5 and the playoffs.  They had competent QB which made other teams honor the passing game.  Exactly why he was brought here.  Most that don’t like him is because he’s not Rodgers level but he was never expected to be.   

We had Peyton and then Luck for years so any new comer that comes in will never be good enough for some but Rivers had a Luck type of year IMO. TD wise he didn't but wins he did. Stats were good IMO.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We had Peyton and then Luck for years so any new comer that comes in will never be good enough for some but Rivers had a Luck type of year IMO. TD wise he didn't but wins he did. Stats were good IMO.

Well he looks like prime Peyton compared to Brissett who you guys had last season.

This has been one of my favorite seasons here in Indy. 2006 is #1 to me because we won it all, 1995 is #2 - Harbaugh and that D was just magical, 2012 Luck's rookie year was awesome = comebacks and going from 2-14 to 11-5, this year may rank right behind those. It has been that good for me anyway. 11-5 and playoffs, hell yes!

Oh I love Rivers, he has played like Peyton a lot this year, using his brain and just making good decisions. 

“Football intelligence”, especially in a quarterback can defeat physical ability most of the time.

I only wish Rivers had the mobility to make things happen when things breakdown around him (like Luck, Mahomes, Watson, etc.)

I’ve always liked Rivers. He’s an all-time warrior.  At this point in his career, though, the issue is that the protection needs to be nearly perfect.  I’ll take him for now, but looking beyond a year or two, the Colts still gotta find a new Luck ... someone that can make magic when all that is around him is breaking down.

Rivers did what he was brought in to do.  He was the most realistic upgrade, ready to play/win now option available on the market last offseason.  Tom Brady was never going to sign here and Ballard was gunshy about going too far up a path with him only to get burnt at the 11th hour again by a Patriot.

Overall, I was actually pretty impressed with him this season and really appreciated him as an all time great at the QB position. If had gone to a better run organization than the Chargers, I have no doubt he would have a SB ring and been perceived differently nationally. 

His limitations are the same ones we knew about coming into the season, but I think he makes up for it with his ability to read a defense and understand where to go with the ball on a given play.  

We have at least 3-4  less wins this year with a lesser QB starting and playing and this year.  

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The pass protection wasn’t great today. That needs to get fixed before SAT. Hopefully that new guy with more practice is better.

While I would like for that to happen, the pass pro is what it is at this point.  Veldheer was available this late in the season for a reason.

We just have to be very strategic with when and how we throw and try to limit the obvious passing situations

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This has been one of my favorite seasons here in Indy. 2006 is #1 to me because we won it all, 1995 is #2 - Harbaugh and that D was just magical, 2012 Luck's rookie year was awesome = comebacks and going from 2-14 to 11-5, this year may rank right behind those. It has been that good for me anyway. 11-5 and playoffs, hell yes!

You rank this year higher than 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2013, and 2014?

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

You rank this year higher than 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2013, and 2014?

As far as favorite seasons probably, 2004 was special because Peyton threw for 49 TD's. I am not saying/ranking best teams season wise. I just have had joy watching this team come together and go 11-5 with Rivers after last years fail.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As far as favorite seasons probably, 2004 was special because Peyton threw for 49 TD's. I am not saying/ranking best teams season wise. I just have had joy watching this team come together and go 11-5 with Rivers after last years fail.

Especially during the pandemic.  Colts brought a lot of joy and excitement to my life this year. 

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fun year for sure! We shouldn't of had a big sweat to make the playoffs with 7 teams, but the important thing is we're in! A chip, a chair, a chance! We have a very good team, and it's been fun to see them grow this year. Rivers is capable of winning games, and we have a monster back in Taylor who looks like he has figured out the game in year 1. That's why getting an early round RB can sometimes be very effective, if you hit on someone like Taylor.

Great day today! Congrats Colts fans, celebrate tonight cmon!

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fun year for sure! We shouldn't of had a big sweat to make the playoffs with 7 teams, but the important thing is we're in! A chip, a chair, a chance! We have a very good team, and it's been fun to see them grow this year. Rivers is capable of winning games, and we have a monster back in Taylor who looks like he has figured out the game in year 1. That's why getting an early round RB can sometimes be very effective, if you hit on someone like Taylor.

Great day today! Congrats Colts fans, celebrate tonight cmon!

Taylor was awesome today! 250.

Taylor was awesome today! 250.

Loved it! Absolutely loved it! Taylor is a Manster! :) Great pick that will carry this offense for a long time! One more draft and FA will put us over the top IMO. Can't wait to see what we do in the playoffs. We deserved to make it!

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This Buffalo matchup will be interesting. If we can get to Allen early that will shake him up. Playoff football is a different ball game compared to the regular season. Houston needs get a sack or 2 early on him.

Congratulations to you Colt fans on your playoff berth!

48 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have the same rank but If we make a run like we did in 95 this is going to move up in that ranking for me.  

1 minute ago, Arodgers12 said:

Anyone agree that Nobody from the NFC East should make the playoffs this year?

Most in my family are giants fans so I’m pulling for the eagles tonight but if they get in at 6-10 it just doesn’t seem right.  Lol 

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, I understood how you were ranking them. There are just so, so many more enjoyable seasons, imo. But, I guess that is like my opinion, though :)

I like Rivers for this year, but I hope he retires at the end of the season, because he's about to fall off a cliff ability wise and at times this year we saw peeks of it.

I never felt confident with the ball in his hands when we needed a play.

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I like Rivers for this year, but I hope he retires at the end of the season, because he's about to fall off a cliff ability wise and at times this year we saw peeks of it.

Rivers was 9th in the league in yardage.

He had less picks than Brady, Ryan, Wilson, Goff, Murray and Cousins. 

IMO he is not near as bad as you think he is. 

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Ditto

On 12/27/2020 at 4:30 PM, StatesmanN said:

Absolutely that is going to happen.  Reich has already said he wants him back.

Reminds me a lot of Irsay staying with Pagano for so long.

Blind loyalty is maddening.  Everybody knows that the Colts can't win the SB with Rivers. 

So why stay with him?  Makes no sense.

reich can say what he wants... Ballard calls the shots with personnel.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Rivers was 9th in the league in yardage.

He had less picks than Brady, Ryan, Wilson, Goff, Murray and Cousins. 

IMO he is not near as bad as you think he is. 

Exactly.  The thing with Rivers is that ESPN and other sports media trashed him for many years, especially last year, so every time he throws an INT, people act like he's the worst QB ever.

The truth is that he historically throws the same or fewer INTs than all but a handful of QBs.  Same INT% as Luck and better % than Peyton.

2 hours ago, wordofmouth said:

Rivers has been great. Honestly, is there anyone who expected him to do even better than he has? 

I think he CAN do better, but he met expectations this year.  Really think he would improve with another year on this team, but we will see how things play out.

Archived