Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers not clutch / is terrible (merge)

6 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Yeah, I understood how you were ranking them. There are just so, so many more enjoyable seasons, imo. But, I guess that is like my opinion, though :)

Oh I know, I respect your opinion. 2004 was so fun when Peyton was throwing 3 TD's on average a game. That offense was so fun to watch. I hated the way 2005 and 2009 ended because it was disappointing the way we lost. 2009 should've been 16-0 despite losing in the SB. 2005 was a dominant team but we just played a lack luster game vs Pitt in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one is on Frank, not Rivers. 

Even though I’d just finished one, when I heard Rivers had just tossed 420 I knew I had to celebrate that properly so I did and settled in to watch the remainder of the game. This is how the journey w

I’ve just grown tired of the limitations this offense has with such a statue back there.   Like, sure, I know he makes up for it to some degree with his intelligence...but the fact that our

Posted Images

Why are people surprised?

We tried it well we are trying it, I think looking back, as much as I hated the Rivers move, it was the right move to do this season. We gotta get someone for next season tho. 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you don’t think a GM and head coach talk about personnel decisions your sorely mistaken.

where did I say that they didn’t? 

I simply said It’s not Reich’s decision. If Ballard and his scouting department see a better fit, especially one that would be longterm not a short stop gap like Rivers, and Reich disagrees with them... guess what? Tough stuff pal.

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

where did I say that they didn’t? 

I simply said It’s not Reich’s decision. If Ballard and his scouting department see a better fit, especially one that would be longterm not a short stop gap like Rivers, and Reich disagrees with them... guess what? Tough stuff pal.

Guess what him talking to the head coach means the head coach gets a say.

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Guess what him talking to the head coach means the head coach gets a say.

A... one single say. Not THE say, which is what my original post was all about. If I had a say, I’d say that Ballard is taking notes on Frank’s inability to make good decisions in game and his poor play calling that we are all stuck watching. 

good day. Go blue

26 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

A... one single say. Not THE say, which is what my original post was all about. If I had a say, I’d say that Ballard is taking notes on Frank’s inability to make good decisions in game and his poor play calling that we are all stuck watching. 

good day. Go blue

Stop you tried to suggest Frank’s opinion didn’t matter.  It very much so does.

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Rivers was 9th in the league in yardage.

He had less picks than Brady, Ryan, Wilson, Goff, Murray and Cousins. 

IMO he is not near as bad as you think he is. 

Jameis Winston led the leagues in yards last year I believe, stats don't mean everything.

I watched every Colt game and there was that constant fear in the background of is Phil gonna be Phil and throw a ball into double/triple coverage. I'm not saying he was terrible this year, heck he helped us make the playoffs, but there were plays where his age showed and I think next year will be the year he falls off that cliff that every aging QB does eventually. Let's face it he's not eating avocado ice cream like Brady haha  and it's always better to move on a year early vs a year late

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Jameis Winston led the leagues in yards last year I believe, stats don't mean everything.

I watched every Colt game and there was that constant fear in the background of is Phil gonna be Phil and throw a ball into double/triple coverage. I'm not saying he was terrible this year, heck he helped us make the playoffs, but there were plays where his age showed and I think next year will be the year he falls off that cliff that every aging QB does eventually. Let's face it he's not eating avocado ice cream like Brady haha  and it's always better to move on a year early vs a year late

The fear you speak of is an over blown narrative. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The fear you speak of is an over blown narrative. 

How? I think I am being logical and if not please give me a counter argument I can see a different side to the argument instead of just saying I'm wrong and overreacting.

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

How? I think I am being logical and if not please give me a counter argument I can see a different side to the argument instead of just saying I'm wrong and overreacting.

It's not just you over reacting, it's pretty much the whole media and those who believe what they say without looking at the whys of things.

He pretty much carried the Chargers for years with little help and now he is on a team he don't have to do that. 

This is no difference than any QB in the league. They get too much praise when things go good and too much blame when they don't. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Stop you tried to suggest Frank’s opinion didn’t matter.  It very much so does.

You are trying to suggest I said something I did not, so you can stop. 

his opinion does matter. Never said it didn’t or implied it didn’t. I said if he preferred Rivers over a quarterback that Ballard, Ed Dodds (who may be Carolina’s new GM) and company prefer, he is not going to win that debate...  And I’m not wrong. 

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You are trying to suggest I said something I did not, so you can stop. 

his opinion does matter. Never said it didn’t or implied it didn’t. I said if he preferred Rivers over a quarterback that Ballard, Ed Dodds (who may be Carolina’s new GM) and company prefer, he is not going to win that debate...  And I’m not wrong. 

You did imply that.  Good GMs and head coaches try to come to an agreement about players.  It’s a partnership, not a my way or the highway type of the relationship.  Look no further than Dungy and Polian.  Both have admitted to selling the other on players. Dungy said he had to sell Polian on Freeney and that Polian sold him on Sanders.  Grigson tried to make it his way or the highway with Pagano and how’d that work out? Reich was very involved in Rivers coming here in the first place so yeah Reich can have whatever opinion he wants because it matters a great deal.

if you agree the head coach has a say and it’s not just the GM saying it’s his way or the highway there is no need to continue this debate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 1/3/2021 at 7:06 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some people still not happy, 11-5 and Phil was good this year and we made the playoffs. This is what my main man thinks about it happy homer simpson GIF

Great that you believe in Rivers.

I have not been a fan and I have expressed it many times.

I want a Super Bowl Victory!

All the stats and comparisons fans have made about Rivers now should mean something towards winning the big game.

I have also wrote that if our Colts make it to the Super Bowl that we will win it!

Do you believe we can win the Super Bowl?

Enough of the toe tale. What QB isn’t playing with an injury?

Every player that steps on the field needs to do their job even better. And that goes for the coaches.

Our game with the Bills will be the first big challenge to show Championship Status.

I will say this to each Colts player and staff... play for yourself like never before so that you can look back and say you did your best...win or lose.

Then we can remember that our Colts team had a great season in 2020.

The only game I could see this season was against the Steelers...I learned that I am a True Colts Fan because I watched it to the end...and then I felt that I can be a better fan for next year no matter who is our QB is.

Someday, I will go to Indy and watch a game with my family.

I am blessed with my first grandchild. I will do my best to

make him a Colts fan instead of  the team that plays here in Az.

We can beat everyone that stands in our way of the Super Bowl...Go Colts... Be Hungrier...

Eat Lightning and Crap Thunder!

Winner Goes On!

Go For It!

Rivers was better for us this year than the guy he replaced.  I think Bissett is severely underestimated by the fanbase here because of his injury related slump in the second half last year, but the fact that Rivers remained healthy and didn't suffer such a slump kind of undermines the argument.

that said -- I don't think Rivers is going to be a guy who gets you over the top.  Rivers is an incremental improvement over Brissett.  People think it's more of an improvement than it is because Rivers plays a style they're more used to.  The grind it out game is very much an acquired taste for those used to power throwing offenses.

I don't have incredible expectations that the team will do much in the playoffs.  However, getting there at all 2 years after our franchise QB unexpectedly retired is still an accomplishment to be proud of.  I wasn't a fan of the signing at the time, but Irsay was right to bring in Rivers.

It’s ok if we don’t win the SB. Rivers is doing exactly what we needed him to do. We have made the playoffs and has given a nice bridge until we find the guy. Teams don’t lose franchise QB like we did and recover so quickly. I thank rivers for giving us a fun year and the playoffs. What ever happens Saturday happens and is just gravy if we win.

10 hours ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

All the stats and comparisons fans have made about Rivers now should mean something towards winning the big game.

I have also wrote that if our Colts make it to the Super Bowl that we will win it!

Every player that steps on the field needs to do their job even better. And that goes for the coaches.

Our game with the Bills will be the first big challenge to show Championship Status.

I will say this to each Colts player and staff... play for yourself like never before so that you can look back and say you did your best...win or lose.

The only game I could see this season was against the Steelers...I learned that I am a True Colts Fan because I watched it to the end...and then I felt that I can be a better fan for next year no matter who is our QB is.

We can beat everyone that stands in our way of the Super Bowl...Go Colts... Be Hungrier...

Winner Goes On!

Go For It!

The ultimate goal is to win the SB, every fan of their team wants that, having said that I still enjoy when the team is playing well and just makes the playoffs. If fans think SB or bust every year they are going be disappointed 90% of the time when the season ends. It is tough and rare to win a SB with 31 other teams trying to do the same thing. Only the Pats have defied the odds since the 2000 season by winning 6. We had Peyton for 14 seasons and only won 1, Packers have had Rodgers for 13 seasons as a starter and have only won 1.  A SB win would be nice but no matter what happens this has been a fun 2020 season IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, GoColts8818 said:

You did imply that.  Good GMs and head coaches try to come to an agreement about players.  It’s a partnership, not a my way or the highway type of the relationship.  Look no further than Dungy and Polian.  Both have admitted to selling the other on players. Dungy said he had to sell Polian on Freeney and that Polian sold him on Sanders.  Grigson tried to make it his way or the highway with Pagano and how’d that work out? Reich was very involved in Rivers coming here in the first place so yeah Reich can have whatever opinion he wants because it matters a great deal.

if you agree the head coach has a say and it’s not just the GM saying it’s his way or the highway there is no need to continue this debate.

No I definitely did not. But just  like you ramrodding your opinion down my throat when I’m not wrong, Ballard will have ultimate say when it comes to the next quarterback. 

good day, again.

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No I definitely did not. But just  like you ramrodding your opinion down my throat when I’m not wrong, Ballard will have ultimate say when it comes to the next quarterback. 

good day, again.

Rather you mean to or not but when you say “Reich can say what he wants...Ballard calls the shots with personal” it comes across as saying Reich has no say and that is flat out not true.  

If you think Reich’s opinion isn’t going to factor into what Ballard does with the next QB in a major way, just like it did with Rivers, you are sorely mistaken.  If you don’t think that then we agree and can move on.

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rather you mean to or not but when you say “Reich can say what he wants...Ballard calls the shots with personal” it comes across as saying Reich has no say and that is flat out not true.  

If you think Reich’s opinion isn’t going to factor into what Ballard does with the next QB in a major way, just like it did with Rivers, you are sorely mistaken.  If you don’t think that then we agree and can move on.

“it comes across” 

So you are admitting that your interpretation of what I said is what started this whole thing and not what I ACTUALLY said? Because what I actually said was true. Ballard has ultimate say. I never said Reich didn’t have input. Or Ed Dodds. Or any of the scouting department. I said Ballard had ultimate say. And it’s well documented that he listens very well to everyone in the organization. What I said was that if Reich was the only one that wanted Rivers over a certain qb that everyone else wanted, he could kick and scream all he wanted (he’s a pro, he won’t do that), but at the end of the day Ballard is going to make the decision that he thinks is best for the team, regardless if Frank agrees or not. Ideally, they’ll be on 100% board with each other as they seem to have been up until now. 

Again, I know Reich has input. And it’s valuable. Obviously. Ballard hired him. But he doesn’t call the shots on personnel. Period.

Regardless as to what some may agree or disagree on, the original intent of this thread is glaringly inaccurate. This seasons Colts are 1 TD short of tying for the 2nd most points scored in a season, in the entire franchise history. That does not come close to happening without a quality QB. Frankly, the premise is laughable. 

On 1/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, crazycolt1 said:

It's not just you over reacting, it's pretty much the whole media and those who believe what they say without looking at the whys of things.

He pretty much carried the Chargers for years with little help and now he is on a team he don't have to do that. 

This is no difference than any QB in the league. They get too much praise when things go good and too much blame when they don't. 

Rivers is not in his prime anymore he went 3 and 13 last year . He is almost where Peyton was his last year . It’s gonna get worse next year when he is 40 .  If rivers was 35 or younger I would love to keep him but he is old now .

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Rivers is not in his prime anymore he went 3 and 13 last year . He is almost where Peyton was his last year . It’s gonna get worse next year when he is 40 .  If rivers was 35 or younger I would love to keep him but he is old now .

You are wasting your time with me. 

What he did last season don't mean squat. 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

You have stated the Chargers went 3-13 last year multiple times, and you have been corrected multiple times.  I'm not sure why you keep posting that.

Also, Rivers is nowhere near the washed up level that Peyton was in his final season.  Peyton could not physically make the throws anymore.  I suggest you go back and watch the highlights (lowlights) of that season.  It was ugly.  In 10 games he had 59.8% completion, 9 TDs, 17 INTs, and a 67.9 passer rating.

he will probably be back next year unless a better option comes up.  looks like they are in no hurry to start a young QB for the sake of it when a veteran is available 

On 1/7/2021 at 1:40 PM, GoColts8818 said:

We are about to find out what impact he has... He just publicly vouched for Rivers and wants him back.

my bet is they move on.

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We are about to find out what impact he has... He just publicly vouched for Rivers and wants him back.

my bet is they move on.

I'll see your bet and raise you an I hope so

On 1/5/2021 at 10:17 AM, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Winner Goes On!

Go For It!

You do realize only 1 of 32 teams wins the super bowl each year and it’s a pretty hard feat to accomplish?  Colts had 13 seasons with one of the best QBs to ever play and had 1 SB win to show.  

11-5 with a playoff appearance after a 7-9 season is a good improvement.  

im not sure if Rivers will be back, but if he is, the offense will be much better with a full offseason and preseason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SpanosSucks said:

You do realize only 1 of 32 teams wins the super bowl each year and it’s a pretty hard feat to accomplish?  Colts had 13 seasons with one of the best QBs to ever play and had 1 SB win to show.  

11-5 with a playoff appearance after a 7-9 season is a good improvement.  

im not sure if Rivers will be back, but if he is, the offense will be much better with a full offseason and preseason

Coach Reich: Okay, men...I have just been reminded that we are 1 outta 32 teams in the NFL trying to win a Super Bowl.

I have been told that it is a difficult feat to accomplish.

1 Super Bowl Win in 13 years with a certain QB is okay for some fans.

Rivers: 11 and 5 record is good ,right?

Coach Reich: As long as you had a better record than last year it pleases some fans.

Heck, you earned every dollar of that $25 million we paid you...for 1 year!

Heck, as long as that fan in Az keeps buying our merchandise we can pay you more. 

Some fans will be happy with a “good showing” or, just make it to the playoffs. 

Irsay: So, we have a fan in Az?

Rivers: Uh, yup! He kept saying how much he wants us to win a Super Bowl! Would not let up!

He criticized me when people said I will be in the HOF. He said I should only be awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award for my perfect attendance. 

I wonder if he liked me when I played for the Chargers?

Irsay: So he wants a Colts Super Bowl Win, huh?

I hear he also believed that if we made it to the big game that we would WIN it?!

Me: Okay, dude...this is fun!

But your point is true about having a full off season and preseason will be good for the Colts. But also for the other teams in the NFL.

This was only the second game that I had a chance to watch. Again, like the game with the Steelers...I enjoyed the first half...the second half, not so much.

I criticized management and Rivers a lot, but I will be a fan for a long time. With that said, I thank those that corrected my spelling, provided stats, your remarks and others.

Our season is over and so this is my last post until next season.

Enjoy Good Health and Celebrate Life.

Colts Fan In Arizona...App out!

• Confused 1
On 1/8/2021 at 7:59 AM, DontEverGiveUp said:

You have stated the Chargers went 3-13 last year multiple times, and you have been corrected multiple times.  I'm not sure why you keep posting that.

Also, Rivers is nowhere near the washed up level that Peyton was in his final season.  Peyton could not physically make the throws anymore.  I suggest you go back and watch the highlights (lowlights) of that season.  It was ugly.  In 10 games he had 59.8% completion, 9 TDs, 17 INTs, and a 67.9 passer rating.

Yeah, Manning had an injury that season and never was 100% after it.  Highly unlikely rivers goes from extremely accurate to 17 INT in the span of an offseason. 

On 1/5/2021 at 1:07 PM, Chloe6124 said:

It seems so weird with the offensive struggles of this team we have scored the third most points in colts history.  Does not feel like that.

its from the rules change . now you have average QBs pushing 30 touchdowns to get mvp you need to have over 40 touchdowns . even during the 08 seasons manning would win mvp with 33 touchdowns . its a much different game today if the colts had no run game the offense would be average at best.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:48 AM, rayski said:

Why are people surprised?

We tried it well we are trying it, I think looking back, as much as I hated the Rivers move, it was the right move to do this season. We gotta get someone for next season tho. 

Was it though? I was all for Rivers being brought in. If the goal is a super bowl, getting to the wild card while does help with young player development just puts you at a poorer draft position. If we rolled with Eason or young QB, we’d evaluate his abilities and get the bonus of better draft position to draft a long term answer at QB instead of short term try to win a SB this year. Just feel like this was sort of a wasted year with clear questions at the QB position while others teams like the Bills just look to keep getting better with a set offense 

19 hours ago, Dasteez said:

Was it though? I was all for Rivers being brought in. If the goal is a super bowl, getting to the wild card while does help with young player development just puts you at a poorer draft position. If we rolled with Eason or young QB, we’d evaluate his abilities and get the bonus of better draft position to draft a long term answer at QB instead of short term try to win a SB this year. Just feel like this was sort of a wasted year with clear questions at the QB position while others teams like the Bills just look to keep getting better with a set offense 

Maybe CB is doing what seemed to be working for Chiefs/Saints/Packers, giving a tutor to someone they believe in. (Eason) We'll only know once we are done with the offseason and see who is on the roster again.

• Like 1

This is pretty much what I expected from Rivers.  To be sure getting bounced from the playoffs in the first round is not all his fault.  But I am just not sure I like the idea of spending another 25 mil on a good - not great - season.

If we are going to improve I feel like we need to take a chance.  Trying to find a franchise QB is difficult at best.  I would rather spend that 25 mil on someone who has the possibility of being better.  If we bring Rivers back at 25 mil and have another good season and get bounced out of the playoffs we are still in the same position we are in now.

If we try to either: Move up in the draft to get a stud, try to bring in a younger current starter from another team, see what Eason has to offer we aren't just repeating this year. 

Changes of moving up to get a stud - well, we all know the chances of that

Bring in a starter from another team - possible

Throw Eason out there - possible

I would rather see the Colts fail with someone else than just repeat this year.  I get it that with another year Rivers would be more comfortable with the receivers, etc., but I just don't see him as being able to get us to a Superbowl.  

So my vote is to take a gamble, be daring, and see where it all lands.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

my bet is they move on.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:40 PM, GoColts8818 said:

From the reports that are out there about the Colts forcing Rivers’ hand into retirement , I’d say Ballard pretty well took care of business on this situation wouldn’t you say? I mean Frank Reich publicly vouched for him and Rivers indicated he wanted to be back... Ballard obviously thought differently for the franchise. 

53 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

From the reports that are out there about the Colts forcing Rivers’ hand into retirement , I’d say Ballard pretty well took care of business on this situation wouldn’t you say? I mean Frank Reich publicly vouched for him and Rivers indicated he wanted to be back... Ballard obviously thought differently for the franchise. 

First of all we don’t know if that report is true or not.  So I would be careful as taking it as the gospel truth.  I mean it’s not that out there to think Rivers retired on his own.

If you go back and look at what Ballard said when he talked about Rivers in his end of the year presser it’s very similar to what Reich said.   https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-philip-rivers-ty-hilton-xavier-rhodes-2020-season-press-conference

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30687157/frank-reich-says-wants-philip-rivers-indianapolis-colts-qb-2021

Yes Reich went a step further to say hey I want Rivers to be my starter but both men pretty much said hey we think Rivers can still play and he has to decide if he wants too.

Now just for sake of argument let’s say the report is true, the last quote from Reich in the Rivers story pretty much confirms what I’ve been saying all along:  "This isn't a one-man show. We have to do what's best for the team, and as an organization as we sit down and talk about Philip, what other options are out there, that will all get discussed.”

Wells furthered that by also saying:  “Whether Rivers returns next season isn't strictly up to the quarterback and Reich. General manager Chris Ballard and owner Jim Irsay will also have a say.”

So no I don’t think Ballard just said forget what Frank wants I am doing what I want to do as you made it sound.  I think they sat down as an organization and came to a concusses agreement.  Further proof of that is the report said the Colts might have pushed Rivers out the door not Ballard himself.  the GM acting on his own without regards to the coach is what Grigson did and lead to so much friction with Pagano.  All reports have said Ballard doesn’t operate that way.  Big Colts decisions get made as a unit between Irsay, Ballard, Reich.  Do they always agree?  I am sure they don’t but I am sure they work together to try to figure what they think is best as a unit.  Further proof of that was when Irsay said during the draft both Ballard and Reich were raving about Taylor and how they would love to have him and it was Irsay who said well then why don’t you guys go get him, meaning trade up.  

That’s been my point all along it isn’t just Ballard making decision on his own regardless of what others think which is how your original post came across.  It’s always been them working as a unit.  Does that mean Reich or Ballard always get exactly what they want?  No.  

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

So no I don’t think Ballard just said forget what Frank wants I am doing what I want to do as you made it sound.  I think they sat down as an organization and came to a concusses agreement.

I didn’t say that. You are great at putting words in others mouths you know that? I have said from day one that Ballard will get the ultimate say. I never said Ballard wouldn’t be methodical and involve everyone in his approach to that decision. He’s the best in the business when it comes to that. Why surround yourself with top notch people if you don’t involve them in the thought process? But just like the “with the next pick” showed when Ed Dodds and company vouched hard for a specific player (unidentified obviously in the show) Ed turned to Chris and said “well what are you going to do?” You know why? Because this is Chris Ballard’s team. And everyone knows it. 

He wants a new quarterback and there is no doubt he knows this is the time to strike.