Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Raiders, December 13, 2020, 4:05 EST

NFLfan

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Oh I wouldn't accept the penalty, it just seems odd that you can not accept the penalty on one play but get to use it on another.

i think they used to be able to do that, but it changed when they reworked extra points reworked extra points recently.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i think they used to be able to do that, but it changed when they reworked extra points reworked extra points recently.  

On a defensive penalty, you have the option to 

Enforce the penalty on the 15 yard line and re-kick

Enforce the penalty on the 2 yard line and try for a 2pt 

Enforce the penalty on the ensuing kickoff. 

• Thanks 2

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I agree - and without wishing to be pedantic because like you I enjoy the debate rather than nit picking or point scoring - I'm not sure that 4 runs within a spell of 27 plays is truly incorporating the run. If we'd have run 4 times in the 3rd quarter too I'm not sure it would have made anyone happier.   You're also right about my very general use of "you" - it's directed at the homogenous lump of 'the forum' rather than you as an individual. We as a fan base, and probably as individual fans too, probably do need to decide what characteristics we want from the team/coach. At the moment it just seems that the things people want flips backwards and forwards.    Once again - agree. However I'm not sure the regular theory of needing to run the ball to draw the defenders up and sell the play action completely applies to the Bucs game. Watching it back the Bucs were already committing to stopping the run even when we weren't even doing it! By actually rushing the ball we couldn't have sold them any harder into packing the box.   Take a look at the Winfield interception again as a perfect example - that was our 22nd consecutive passing play. The Bucs still had 8 in the box, the linebackers still bit on the playaction and we got the wide open one-on-one match up that we'd all have wanted for a deep jump ball. It's not like our one dimensional play calling had caused the Bucs to react and move towards covering the pass more. Even after 22 plays they were still setting up with the run in mind and giving us big play opportunities in the passing game so we need to exploit that.   In my mind we're built as a run first team, that's our strength. But if we come up against a strong run defense who truly commit to stopping our ground game regardless of what we call then we also have to be able to exploit that. To me that's almost more important that play calling balance. 
    • by that point with so many consecutive pass plays, I was simply waiting for the turnover to happen.  even a couple of rushing attempts would have slowed down the pass rush.  and on top of that, it's far easier to wear down the opposing defensive line by running the ball and allowing our OL to attack them, rather than constantly passing the ball allowing their DL to attack our OL.     except that Taylor averaged over 5 yards per carry against them for the game.  Would he have been able to maintain that average if he'd had 10 more rushing attempts?  hard to say, but there's really nothing to suggest he wouldn't have been able to.  Because again, the Bucs really only stopped the running game in the first quarter.  After that, the running game was successful.      agree to disagree.  going almost a quarter and a half without a rushing attempt when that is the overwhelming strength of your team is never the better play.  going one dimensional collapsed the offense.  simply compare the point differential and turnover differential of the 2nd quarter vs. the 3rd.  or the 3rd vs the 4th.
    • I'm not sure what exactly your grouse is though.....Did the Colts not lead 24-14 at the half? Who cares if they passed instead of ran? Heck they were going to go up 31-14 with the classic double dip until Eric Fisher crapped the bed.  Bruce Arians beat his chest after the game and said NO ONE runs on his team, he didnt say that because he was being the usual loudmouth he can be, he said it because that's a commitment they make. The Colts didnt pass because they're stubborn, they passed because it was the better play.  Anyway, 6-6. Another narrow loss, we need more from our leaders IMHO
    • I would agree   There is a bright future for this team. And the fact is, we have played some REALLY good teams down to the wire.   If we can get some health, and just 2-3 players to add to this current team, we could be in the SB.... next year    
    • actually they didn't.  in the 3rd quarter I took notice of multiple times the bucs only had a 7 man box and the colts were still passing.  but again, many people, including Frank himself, are trying to say that the Bucs were stuffing the run the entire first half and that's simply not true.  both the run and pass started to open up in the 2nd quarter, hence Taylor's 5 ypc average.  Yes it was only 4 carries, but that's all it took to keep the defense honest.  No one is saying that Frank should have gone run heavy in the second half.  Not by any means.  But going 20+ plays without a rushing attempt when your team's biggest strength is the run blocking of the offensive line and the MVP candidate RB Taylor is just ridiculous.   and this is why, imo, the argument that Frank isn't going anywhere because he just signed an extension really doesn't hold water.
  • Members

• John Hammonds

John Hammonds 2,127

• J@son

J@son 1,217

• Nadine

Nadine 7,086

Administrators
    • jvan1973

jvan1973 6,736

• Misty_B

Misty_B 0