Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 NFL Draft Thread

1 minute ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think a 1-2 punch of Taylor and Hines could be really good for us going into the future. Both compliment each other well.

You get it.   Philip Rivers has to be throwing his kids in the air after these two picks.  Ballard is a genius!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, life long said:

I wanted a top end back. Many seem in love with our current. I say keep Hines, Mack and obviously Taylor. Wilkins is just as expendable as Quincy Wilson. I love both picks in the 2nd. Could not be happier!

Feel free to look up Wilkins.   The kid averages roughly 6 yards a carry.

Do you know how good that is?   How hard that is?    A year from now Mack will likely be elsewhere.   His contract will be up and he will likely want too much money.   Taylor will start, and Wilkins will back him up.   No reason to move or cut Wilkins.   He’s a solid backup. 

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I’m a fan because he’s a well rounded back. I don’t like it because lots of Wisconsin RBs fizzled out at the NFL after coming in with lots of mileage from college.

Yeah.  I would have hoped Ballard's target would have been Swift but he was nabbed three minutes after we picked Pittman.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you know how good that is?   How hard that is?    A year from now Mack will likely be elsewhere.   His contract will be up and he will likely want too much money.   Taylor will start, and Wilkins will back him up.   No reason to move or cut Wilkins.   He’s a solid backup. 

Thank you at least you know what your talking about!

Not a huge fan of drafting RBs high in the draft. Not a huge fan of trading up for a RB... especially since I thought we had good RB stable. To a certain degree this pick is not shocking though - it continues the theme of WIN NOW moves by Ballard. 

I cannot quibble with the player himself though. Taylor was quite possibly the best runner in the draft. He runs strong, and he has explosive traits. I've said before that I like Mack but he leaves some yards on the field... I don't think Taylor will leave many yards on the field, he gets what's there and then some more. Greg Cosell compares him to Ezekiel Elliot as a runner and I can see that comparison. He has some fumbling issues but Mack had similar issues coming in, but they largely got fixed by our coaching staff. Taylor has worked on his receiving in the last year and made some improvements there, still not dynamic as a receiver though, IMO.

Are we going to carry 4 RB and a FB on the roster?

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Or Ballard just was in love, and though another team was going to grab a RB. 

Just not overly happy as he hasn't been a big part of the passing game. 

Hope he can catch. 

I think he can.  Has mileage, but has also proven to be durable.  You and me would like a pass catcher, but Taylor is bigger and faster than Mack, so he's still an upgrade regardless, IMO.

What do we have left.  75 and 122?  Do we still go O?

Just now, il vecchio said:

Are we going to carry 4 RB and a FB on the roster?

there might not be room for wilkins now imo.  i think hines would get a spot over him since hes a return man and Rivers likes receiving  backs 

I agree that Wilkins has always seemed to have been underutilized. But I made the comparison that they both have not seen a ton of snaps. Probably a coaching choice...

6 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

Win-now mode is def in full effect.  When you spend your first 2 picks on a perfect-fit WR2 and a franchise RB it's a full commitment.  

We may have been able to move down for Pittman, but with Higgins starting the waterfall there was no way to know how that would have gone down.  Taylor was absolutely worth the move-up in that spot.  You could almost hear Doug Marrone do the Homer Simpson "DOH!" when Indy's pick came in.  Instead of Taylor shredding us for the next 5 years, he'll be dishing it out on our behalf.

Pittman has Number 1 potential IMO

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, I feel the same way - if I had to pick whether to give Mack 10M or pick a RB in the second round, I feel like I would pick a RB in the second, but neither of those options are ideal IMO.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

there might not be room for wilkins now imo.  i think hines would get a spot over him since hes a return man and Rivers likes receiving  backs 

Not really a problem   Mack only plays like half a season anyway

2 minutes ago, CelticColt said:

maybe the Titans' success w/ D Henry last season affected Ballard's thinking on this pick

Said were going to be a top running team.  

Many on here just dont listen

9 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

Win-now mode is def in full effect.  When you spend your first 2 picks on a perfect-fit WR2 and a franchise RB it's a full commitment.  

We may have been able to move down for Pittman, but with Higgins starting the waterfall there was no way to know how that would have gone down.  Taylor was absolutely worth the move-up in that spot.  You could almost hear Doug Marrone do the Homer Simpson "DOH!" when Indy's pick came in.  Instead of Taylor shredding us for the next 5 years, he'll be dishing it out on our behalf.

homer simpson doh GIF

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

- it continues the theme of WIN NOW moves by Ballard. 

In a manner of speaking.  More accurately, he's filling gaping holes.  QB, DT, #2WR and adding a 3 down every play RB where he constantly had to rotate RBs depending on the play/situation.

2 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Not really a problem   Mack only plays like half a season anyway

Said were going to be a top running team.  

Many on here just dont listen

"top 5 run offense in league" was the goal IIRC

FWIW everything I've heard and read suggests Taylor's another really high-character guy too

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Not a huge fan of drafting RBs high in the draft. Not a huge fan of trading up for a RB... especially since I thought we had good RB stable. To a certain degree this pick is not shocking though - it continues the theme of WIN NOW moves by Ballard. 

I cannot quibble with the player himself though. Taylor was quite possibly the best runner in the draft. He runs strong, and he has explosive traits. I've said before that I like Mack but he leaves some yards on the field... I don't think Taylor will leave many yards on the field, he gets what's there and then some more. Greg Cosell compares him to Ezekiel Elliot as a runner and I can see that comparison. He has some fumbling issues but Mack had similar issues coming in, but they largely got fixed by our coaching staff. Taylor has worked on his receiving in the last year and made some improvements there, still not dynamic as a receiver though, IMO.

I feel like Taylor is the perfect fit as RB for the Colts oline. A one cut, physical runner, that can be dominant.

Mack is good but the RB market next year is crazy, very inflated. I've never seen so good backs up for contract. Very small chance we were going to re-sign him next year, especially as he isnt the best 3-down back.

Ballard saw a first round talent in what will be a position of need next year. He was also most likely BPA.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

For what it’s worth...

Daniel Jeremiah says one concern about Taylor is that he wasn’t asked to block in pass protection.   A very small number.   So he has to get coached up there too.   Just saying.   

I’m surprised by the puck, but fine with it.   Now expecting DL, OL, or TE in the 3rd. 

9 minutes ago, CelticColt said:

wonder if Ballard thought Jax or Chi might take him before #44 (unlikely it seems to me)

odd pick IMO, but makes #75 that much more interesting I suppose

Im thinking Jax was gonna take him, since they are trying to trade Fournette and don’t really have a replacement for him yet

For what it’s worth...

Daniel Jeremiah says one concern about Taylor us that he wasn’t asked to block in pass protection.   A very small number.   So he has to get coached up there too.   Just saying.   

I’m surprised by the puck, but fine with it.   Now expecting DL, OL, or TE in the 3rd. 

if someone like Elliott or Taylor is still there at #75.....a guy can dream

Archived