Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 5 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

So far, glad we're up, but we should be up by at least 6, if not 14....... 

I posted the below relevant to Cain, but it's as much about JB as Cain.

Cain.... 

1st target: bad throw (short) by JB into coverage. got bailed out by PI, but lucky it wasn't INT'd. Cain would have had a chance even in double coverage had the ball had more on it.

8min to go in the half: Cain is WIDE OPEN, I mean by a lot, and JB doesn't even see him because he's locked in on Doyle. JB throws a poor ball to Doyle that he can't catch in bounds. Even the announcers commented how wide open Cain was.

2nd target: Late and bad throw (placement), but Cain makes an incredible grab overturned by replay for a completion

last pass of the half: Cain had his man beat streaking across for the first, but instead throws a bad pass (uncatchable) to Rogers in the endzone, and have to settle for a FG on 4th down.

Overall, JB has been decent, but tossed an INT costing us points, and has left yards/points on the table. 

We've got a great chance with KC not having Hill or Watkins playing on O, a LB and DL out, and thin at DL in general. Can't make the same mistakes and keep missing open receivers in the 2nd half. 

Good game plan by Reich so far. Love that he's not calling so many plays that have TY as the obvious 1st read. D is playing better than expected.

Mods please feel free to merge with the other thread.  I can't post there or edit my post as  I planned to because one of the mods locked it.  I can't get in touch with the mod who locked it to ask them to unlock it.  And I really want to go to bed so a rousing game of "Hunt the Mod!" is not in my itinerary tonight

Impressions of Brissett -- a little shaky, to put it mildly.  The Chiefs did a good job of making him uncomfortable and he really didn't produce that much.  Fortunately the RB corps had a monster game. and the effort JB managed was still enough to win.

So he had an off week and still "game managed" a win against a Superbowl contender.  I'll still take that, but people worried about stats and big plays will find a ton to criticize about Brissett's efforts tonight.

They can criticize him if they wish, but he has done what he needed to do, and I refuse to get caught up in hypotheticals. 

I prefer to give the Chiefs credit. They played good pass defense for the most part.

We won this game with our defense and OL. Keep developing these young guys and hopefully by the end of the year we have that top 5 defense, and this game will go.a long way to that development. This has to be a huge confidence booster for our young guys and a huge lesson to Matt Eberflus on how these guys need to play. Up in your faces aggressive defense. 

Best win in a long time. 

Btw that was heartbreaking to lose Turay on what was a great effort by him on what was essentially the last play of the game for the defense. Looked serious too. 

JB doesn't wilt under pressure.  He was far from perfect.  Still needs a dependable number 2 receiver.  But he really does remind me of Brady his first year.  Just win baby.  We're a physical football team that is built for playoff kind of football. We're looking to impose our will regardless of who our opponent is...  Oh yeah & JB's QB sneaks have been money.  Frank & JB gotta work on blitz beating hot routes because I think he's gonna start getting that every 3rd & long going forward.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

Not sold on Brissett. He managed the game today but it just seems like he doesn't anticipate recievers open which is key for getting those 20+ yd completions. 

Keep in mind, our WRs suck after TY. Ebron thinks he's a Lion again. Doyle is a great target but not separating from anyone.

Our supposed "strength" at WR was false and losing Funchess made that obvious.

• Like 2

Brissett's doing alright with what he has to work with so far but if we are going deep in the playoffs this year, an upgrade at WR is nonoptional.  I'd actually like to add 2 new passing options if possible.  Possibly clear Cain out of the way to make room, since Brisssett and Cain are clearly struggling badly to get on the same page

I respect his composure and resolve, he never flinched, but it wasn't his best showing.

Once he breaks the pocket it seems like his eyes stop looking downfield and he just looks for the dump off. Which has worked out so far, we have Hines, but in '17 some of his best plays were scrambling downfield passes. He also continues to have trouble staring guys down. Obviously our run game is our strength but we very noticeably went away from the passing game in the 2nd half.

We could've been worse off in this game though. To his credit, I think he's a solid leader and shows great composure during drives, pre-snap, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

Brissett's doing alright with what he has to work with so far but if we are going deep in the playoffs this year, an upgrade at WR is nonoptional.  I'd actually like to add 2 new passing options if possible.  Possibly clear Cain out of the way to make room, since Brisssett and Cain are clearly struggling badly to get on the same page

I thought Cain did ok. He drew the big PI and had the big catch after the review.

As I have said, Brissett won't make a lot of mistakes but he also won't make very many big plays.  He will look to check down and has a limited upside.  That is what he will always be.  Great win tonight but I think for the Colts to win the Super Bowl, they either need a super team or a better QB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This team makes Brissett look better. He is smart but lacks skill. I hate to dwell but if we had Luck we are superbowl contenders. Brissett doesnt have that it factor to control a game hes a game manger who will grow balls occasionally to make a big play but it results in picks when he does.. doesnt read through progressions well. He also gets happy feet even when perfectly protected by oline. Hes average we need more at the position to bring home a trophy.

• Like 2

He’s a game manger.  An effective one but still that’s what he is.  You can win with that if you have a good defense and a good running game, which is how the Colts won tonight.  However, if you need your QB to go win you a game more times than not they will fail.

Jacoby has the rest of this year to show he can develop and I hope he does, but he has to read the field better than he does.  He can’t just live on dump offs a lone.  He looks to get really timed after INTs and is too scared he will make another mistake.  

Now with that said, the young WRs aren’t helping him much.  They don’t get open that well and teams have figured out to blanket and TY and say beat us with anyone else we dare you and to this point no one has stepped up.  

I hope the Colts take a long look at the rookies this year.  Fromm is my favorite but I am also no NFL scout.   

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

Brissett did what was needed to win.   I am losing confidence in him a bit though.   I still can't tell if this is Reich keeping the throws all short by plan or if it is all on Brissett.   

Without the all 22 it is difficult to know when he should have went down the field. However, last week I said that I expect more picks if he starts to throw more intermediate throws.  He is still staring down the receiver and throwing to his first read.  I am sure the other team's defense is prepped going into the game that he does this, and when they see it for themselves they are getting bold (like that guy in the Oakland game that almost had a pick because Brisset was staring down Doyle).  

He has to get better or we are going to be stuck in QB purgatory for a while.  I was not impressed by him today, and he is not the reason we won.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s a game manger.  An effective one but still that’s what he is.  You can win with that if you have a good defense and a good running game, which is how the Colts won tonight.  However, if you need your QB to go win you a game more times than not they will fail.

Jacoby has the rest of this year to show he can develop and I hope he does, but he has to read the field better than he does.  He can’t just live on dump offs a lone.  He looks to get really timed after INTs and is too scared he will make another mistake.  

Now with that said, the young WRs aren’t helping him much.  They don’t get open that well and teams have figured out to blanket and TY and say beat us with anyone else we dare you and to this point no one has stepped up.  

I hope the Colts take a long look at the rookies this year.  Fromm is my favorite but I am also no NFL scout.   

He's a Field General and a good one.  He really needs another WR who can keep the double coverage off TY.   If we can find that player we are going to be one tough team to handle in the playoffs.  That means you NE.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He's a Field General and a good one.  He really needs another WR who can keep the double coverage off TY.   If we can find that player we are going to be one tough team to handle in the playoffs.  That means you NE.

I agree with the need for another WR to truly be able to assess JB.  Ebron's unreliability has risen again, so finding that other threat is important.  Too bad Funchess is hurt.

• Like 1

Just now, IinD said:

Here we go with the game manager talk... Not even 12 hours after a HUGE win.

That really is a compliment.   This game was managed like it needed to be to win.   37 to 23 time of possession for the Colts.   

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

That really is a compliment.   This game was managed like it needed to be to win.   37 to 23 time of possession for the Colts.   

It's being used as a derogatory term in this forum though.

Enough with the we won't win a SB talk. He just did something Andrew didn't do a few months back.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

When Funchess comes back, look out....

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

I, for one, enjoyed last night very much. Colts fans are going to have to adapt to this style of football... but we are finding this team's identity early on and that's fantastic. Last night was the blueprint for what we want to do to every single team we play. Defenses need to know it's going to be a long damn day on the field when they are playing the Indianapolis Colts. Offenses need to know they are going to play at our pace, not theirs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Brissett did what was needed to win.   I am losing confidence in him a bit though.   I still can't tell if this is Reich keeping the throws all short by plan or if it is all on Brissett.   

I am also losing confidence in him as being the long term answer.  

Biggest win of the season thus far and he didn't even throw for 200 yards.  

For me to see him as the long term answer he's going to need to net us several wins where he carries the team a little bit more.  Because right now it seems like most games, save for the Falcons game he's just not screwing things up and letting a great roster carry him.  

Against the Chargers his yards per attempt was a respectable 7.  Against the Falcons it was a good 8.4.

But against Tennessee 5.2, Against Oakland 5.8, and Against KC 5.2.

In 2 of our 3 wins our QB throwing for only 5.2 Yards per attempt is telling.  

Even if the short throws are all by plan, to me that is telling the Reich doesn't trust him to let it rip deep.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, IinD said:

Enough with the we won't win a SB talk. He just did something Andrew didn't do a few months back.

As dumb as you think the "game manager" talk is, the Luck comparisons are equally as bad.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, IinD said:

I don't think it's derogatory.  It denotes a QB who can't carry the team to wins BUT is able to do his part without making a lot of mistakes. 

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I am also losing confidence in him as being the long term answer.  

Biggest win of the season thus far and he didn't even throw for 200 yards.  

For me to see him as the long term answer he's going to need to net us several wins where he carries the team a little bit more.  Because right now it seems like most games, save for the Falcons game he's just not screwing things up and letting a great roster carry him.  

Against the Chargers his yards per attempt was a respectable 7.  Against the Falcons it was a good 8.4.

But against Tennessee 5.2, Against Oakland 5.8, and Against KC 5.2.

In 2 of our 3 wins our QB throwing for only 5.2 Yards per attempt is telling.  

Even if the short throws are all by plan, to me that is telling the Reich doesn't trust him to let it rip deep.  

I'm not so sure.   We needed to control the clock to win this game.  Longer throws are incomplete more often thus stopping the clock.  This could have been by design and I would have no issue with that.   

33 minutes ago, IinD said:

what a stupid thing to say lol like Andrew Luck had a team as good as JBs. I'm so sick of people comparing what JB is doing to Luck who single handedly carried trash his entire career. there is no comparison one is elite as hell the other is pretty damn average with one of the best run games in the league.

• Thanks 1