Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Imgrandojji

Week 5 impressions: Brissett

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

As dumb as you think the "game manager" talk is, the Luck comparisons are equally as bad.  

 

thank god someone else said this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Myles said:

As dumb as you think the "game manager" talk is, the Luck comparisons are equally as bad.  

 

Ehh whatever. I'm happy we won as opposed to the other way. 

 

He played the way he was coached to.

 

I'm simply using a dumb argument to counter the also dumb game manager talk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is the type of game ive come to expect from him now.  he wasnt really bad or good.  the less we need to throw the better 

 

he locked in on a receiver and it cost him a pick, again.  his efficiency is because they dont throw down the field

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I am also losing confidence in him as being the long term answer.  

 

Biggest win of the season thus far and he didn't even throw for 200 yards.  

 

For me to see him as the long term answer he's going to need to net us several wins where he carries the team a little bit more.  Because right now it seems like most games, save for the Falcons game he's just not screwing things up and letting a great roster carry him.  

 

Against the Chargers his yards per attempt was a respectable 7.  Against the Falcons it was a good 8.4.

 

But against Tennessee 5.2, Against Oakland 5.8, and Against KC 5.2.

 

In 2 of our 3 wins our QB throwing for only 5.2 Yards per attempt is telling.  

 

Even if the short throws are all by plan, to me that is telling the Reich doesn't trust him to let it rip deep.  

 

That and when he has ripped it deep... he's missed. Those chunk plays really jack up the Y/A. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

what a stupid thing to say lol like Andrew Luck had a team as good as JBs. I'm so sick of people comparing what JB is doing to Luck who single handedly carried trash his entire career. there is no comparison one is elite as hell the other is pretty damn average with one of the best run games in the league.

Nobody is saying he's better, but he gets ZERO credit around here. He won a big game and sure enough the game manager talk comes up, oh Mahomes was hurt... Blah blah.

 

Feel however you wish obviously. I ain't gonna argue how crappy my team is or how 'lucky' anything positive they do is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IinD said:

Ehh whatever. I'm happy we won as opposed to the other way. 

 

He played the way he was coached to.

 

I'm simply using a dumb argument to counter the also dumb game manager talk.

 

Let's be fair, on the evidence we have so far, have we seen anything more than managing the game? I wouldn't call the talk dumb, the term has evolved to be derogatory when it really shouldn't be.

 

People have got to stop being so protective of him. There will also be extremists who will love/hate him, but for the most of us I think we're willing to see how he plays over the course of a season. Absolutely don't doubt he has the personality and leadership qualities. What I do doubt is his ability to make the "wow" plays that separate the elite from the okay starters. I think he's got the arm, but he's so far been so conservative it's to judge. 

 

To also be clear, it might not be down to him, if the run is working, then you don't have to take the risks. We've found other ways to win now, before we had to throw it 40-50 times a game to have a chance it seemed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IinD said:

Nobody is saying he's better, but he gets ZERO credit around here. He won a big game and sure enough the game manager talk comes up, oh Mahomes was hurt... Blah blah.

 

Feel however you wish obviously. I ain't gonna argue how crappy my team is or how 'lucky' anything positive they do is.

 

ZERO credit is a again an overstatement. There's been plenty of decent discussion about his play, including positive statements that aren't just blindly being supportive, admittedly it might be hard to follow with all the "noise". 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Let's be fair, on the evidence we have so far, have we seen anything more than managing the game? I wouldn't call the talk dumb, the term has evolved to be derogatory when it really shouldn't be.

 

People have got to stop being so protective of him. There will also be extremists who will love/hate him, but for the most of us I think we're willing to see how he plays over the course of a season. Absolutely don't doubt he has the personality and leadership qualities. What I do doubt is his ability to make the "wow" plays that separate the elite from the okay starters. I think he's got the arm, but he's so far been so conservative it's to judge. 

 

To also be clear, it might not be down to him, if the run is working, then you don't have to take the risks. We've found other ways to win now, before we had to throw it 40-50 times a game to have a chance it seemed. 

I hear you, but the flip side is how it's an automatic that you're SB bound if you have an elite QB. It simply isn't true, Indy knows this better than anyone.

 

Yes your chances may go up, but it's not guaranteed in the least.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I am also losing confidence in him as being the long term answer.  

 

Biggest win of the season thus far and he didn't even throw for 200 yards.  

 

For me to see him as the long term answer he's going to need to net us several wins where he carries the team a little bit more.  Because right now it seems like most games, save for the Falcons game he's just not screwing things up and letting a great roster carry him.  

 

Against the Chargers his yards per attempt was a respectable 7.  Against the Falcons it was a good 8.4.

 

But against Tennessee 5.2, Against Oakland 5.8, and Against KC 5.2.

 

In 2 of our 3 wins our QB throwing for only 5.2 Yards per attempt is telling.  

 

Even if the short throws are all by plan, to me that is telling the Reich doesn't trust him to let it rip deep.  

 

No it isn't.

 

Why on earth would you throw it deep against the Chiefs if you're not behind?? You can't just cherry pick stuff, you have to look at the gameplan.

 

Yes, Brissett played like a game manager. And I'm very happy about that. A game manager is the exact type of QB we needed. It baffles me that people watched the same game I did, watched us win on offense through the O Line and running game, realized how that gameplan worked in keeping the ball away from Mahomes and all the other advantages of utilizing that gameplan against the Chiefs, and then complain that Brissett didn't (and erroneously conclude that he can't) throw for a gazillion yards and touchdowns and get all these stats.

 

Reich does what it takes to win. It took a strong running game to win. So why do you complain that we didn't throw a bunch of Hail Marys (Maries?) when clearly that would've lost us the game......

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Let's be fair, on the evidence we have so far, have we seen anything more than managing the game? I wouldn't call the talk dumb, the term has evolved to be derogatory when it really shouldn't be.

 

People have got to stop being so protective of him. There will also be extremists who will love/hate him, but for the most of us I think we're willing to see how he plays over the course of a season. Absolutely don't doubt he has the personality and leadership qualities. What I do doubt is his ability to make the "wow" plays that separate the elite from the okay starters. I think he's got the arm, but he's so far been so conservative it's to judge. 

 

To also be clear, it might not be down to him, if the run is working, then you don't have to take the risks. We've found other ways to win now, before we had to throw it 40-50 times a game to have a chance it seemed. 

 

Game manager or not, we're winning. And the QB position is clearly not a liability in our games. So who cares?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, IinD said:

It's being used as a derogatory term in this forum though.

 

Enough with the we won't win a SB talk. He just did something Andrew didn't do a few months back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don’t see Funchess being the key to making a big improvement. Just 6 months ago people were wondering why we signed him or who else we were going to sign at WR. It’s not even like he set the world on fire in the one game he did play. When it comes to raising the ceiling for Brissett it’s going to take more than Devin Funchess. Probably a lot more. 

 

He has a good floor. He’ll never Nathan Peterman you. But conversely, he’ll never Tom Brady you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is he managed the game perfect.  We had long drives that kept Mahomes on the sideline. Could we have got more TD sure. But as bad as the KC defense has been they have been very good in the red zone.  This was the type of game you win when it comes playoff time. The INT was a bad throw. He had Ebron wide open and he just didn’t get enough loft on it. Doyle mentioned in the presser how he got them in the right protections all game. Our franchise QB retired two weeks before the season but yet here we are 3-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

 

Game manager or not, we're winning. And the QB position is clearly not a liability in our games. So who cares?

 

Because it's clearly a massive advantage to have an "elite" QB if you want sustained year to year success. That's why. They're not called Franchise for nothing. 

 

Again, I'm not complaining, I'm not saying he can't be that guy, but we've not seen enough to judge him. So all I can judge on is what we have seen so far. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

this is the type of game ive come to expect from him now.  he wasnt really bad or good.  the less we need to throw the better 

 

he locked in on a receiver and it cost him a pick, again.  his efficiency is because they dont throw down the field

 

The game was unorthodox, but was it the game plan and Reich's play calls? Or did Brisset check out of all the pass plays called to pound the rock?

 

To me, either way (or combo of both), it was just what was needed and brilliant.  And Eberflus, without Leonard, Geathers and Hooker, dialed up the right scheme and pressure.

 

Both the O and D lines won their battles in the trenches, and that type of game travels well, and is effective in the northeast in December. Yes, I want to see the progression of JB's passing game, but over time and as necessary.  I'd rather see wins than just, to quote Irsay, 'Star Wars' stats.

 

This game I might call up game pass All 22 film at some point, with the various angles, and check out the pre snap looks, what they (coverage) actually rolled into, and also route running/separation of the Colts receivers. Oh, and this-

D7Qk_ycWkAIZP_p.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Because it's clearly a massive advantage to have an "elite" QB if you want sustained year to year success. That's why. They're not called Franchise for nothing. 

 

Again, I'm not complaining, I'm not saying he can't be that guy, but we've not seen enough to judge him. So all I can judge on is what we have seen so far. 

 

No, I'm saying in these games, a game manager is what we needed. So why complain that he's what we need?

 

He will execute the gameplan that Reich has drawn up. Since we needed him to be more of a game manager, Reich drew up a game manager gameplan, and Brissett executed it, therefore making him look like a game manager.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

 

No, I'm saying in these games, a game manager is what we needed. So why complain that he's what we need?

 

He will execute the gameplan that Reich has drawn up. Since we needed him to be more of a game manager, Reich drew up a game manager gameplan, and Brissett executed it, therefore making him look like a game manager.

 

I quite literally said I'm not complaining. But, equally you can't ignore what teams with long term success have had in common. 

 

AGAIN, not saying JB can't be that guy, because we've not seen enough, but equally, I'm not going to crown him as the long term solution just yet. That shouldn't preclude honest conversation and assessment of his performances week to week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

The game was unorthodox, but was it the game plan and Reich's play calls? Or did Brisset check out of all the pass plays called to pound the rock?

 

To me, either way (or combo of both), it was just what was needed and brilliant.  And Eberflus, without Leonard, Geathers and Hooker, dialed up the right scheme and pressure.

 

Both the O and D lines won their battles in the trenches, and that type of game travels well, and is effective in the northeast in December. Yes, I want to see the progression of JB's passing game, but over time and as necessary.  I'd rather see wins than just, to quote Irsay, 'Star Wars' stats.

 

This game I might call up game pass All 22 film at some point, with the various angles, and check out the pre snap looks, what they (coverage) actually rolled into, and also route running/separation of the Colts receivers. Oh, and this-

D7Qk_ycWkAIZP_p.png

Doyle mention this in the locker room. He mentioned how good Brissett was in the huddle making the right calls. JB also went to Reich and said let’s keep running the ball. The game last night is how you win playoff foorball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

I quite literally said I'm not complaining. But, equally you can't ignore what teams with long term success have had in common. 

 

AGAIN, not saying JB can't be that guy, because we've not seen enough, but equally, I'm not going to crown him as the long term solution just yet. That shouldn't preclude honest conversation and assessment of his performances week to week. 

 

I'm saying you can't make a conclusion yet. You can't even make a from-what-we-know-this-is-the-conclusion conclusion. Again, when we need him to not be a game manager, and he is, then we can talk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, IinD said:

Nobody is saying he's better, but he gets ZERO credit around here. He won a big game and sure enough the game manager talk comes up, oh Mahomes was hurt... Blah blah.

 

Feel however you wish obviously. I ain't gonna argue how crappy my team is or how 'lucky' anything positive they do is.

that's the thing tho HE didnt win the game far from it actually Mack and the D won the game point blank. JB was once again very average and showed his weaknesses that's all some are saying and then everyone wants to act like everyone is out to get JB when that's not the case. he was very game manager like and played just like a backup would in place of a starter it's ok it's not an insult it's just the way he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, IinD said:

I hear you, but the flip side is how it's an automatic that you're SB bound if you have an elite QB. It simply isn't true, Indy knows this better than anyone.

 

Yes your chances may go up, but it's not guaranteed in the least.

most of us want to build a team that will be able to win a SB multiple years possibly in a row. never has a team with an average QB been able to be a dynasty type team. sure you can have a one off random SB win with a bad QB like some have but you wont be consistently good with average QB play it's just been proven through out the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this if KC doesn’t get a running game and a defense they aren’t winning a SB with Mahomes either. They have become way to one dimensional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I will say this if KC doesn’t get a running game they aren’t winning a SB with Mahomes either. They have become way to one dimensional.

It's funny because teams like KC (Our old Colts teams fall into this category) usually get beat by a team that plays a game like we did last night in the playoffs.

 

Mahomes will run into the same problems we did back in the day. D that can't stand up to the run and a subpar Oline. Oh well, I don't feel bad for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IinD said:

It's funny because teams like KC (Our old Colts teams fall into this category) usually get beat by a team that plays a game like we did last night in the playoffs.

 

Mahomes will run into the same problems we did back in the day. D that can't stand up to the run and a subpar Oline. Oh well, I don't feel bad for them.

 

Yep, Peyton era teams ran into the same issues. If you don't have a D that can get off the field or a scheme that gets the O off the field, you can only do so much in this league. Props to Eberflus for playing more man coverage vs Chiefs while keeping some zone concepts and throwing in the occasional slot blitz.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Yep, Peyton era teams ran into the same issues. If you don't have a D that can get off the field or a scheme that gets the O off the field, you can only do so much in this league. Props to Eberflus for playing more man coverage vs Chiefs while keeping some zone concepts and throwing in the occasional slot blitz.

Yeah it seems they'll have to be a shootout team. That usually doesn't fly in January, during the season yes it does.

 

The old Colts rarely could win this type of game.

 

Love how Reich is developing as a coach in year two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He followed the plan. He had some nice moments and showed poise and improved pocket presence... With that said, this is becoming a repeating pattern with Brissett - he stares down his receivers and he doesn't read the full field, he often locks into his first target and he has trouble eliminating that read when covered and going on to the next. Here's the interception. From the very start until he threw the ball his eyes were locked in on Ebron... just watch him. And his throw wasn't good either: 

 

There were again multiple throws he didn't deliver the pass accurately. He again missed wide open receivers on several occasions and again forced throws into double coverage several times and was lucky he didn't get picked off more than once. 

 

The throw downfield to Cain where he was bailed by PI is another one. IMO the reason again was that he locks into that target and stares it down from the start so the defenders see what's coming from a mile away. (hate to drop the Luck comparison but you can absolutely see the difference - Luck had multiple downfield throws last year where he lead the receiver to the ball perfectly and was beating the coverage handily, even though he didn't have Brissett's arm strength. On pretty much every long-shot Brissett has taken there are at minimum 2 defenders at the spot he's throwing to. It's kind of a miracle he's not yet been intercepted on one of those. 

 

On the flip side I thought he was supremely calm and collected throughout the game and he seemed to inspire confidence in his teammates with it. I remember one play where the clock was going down in single digits and he saw something from the defense and quickly but calmly went to every single lineman until they all had the new call and snapped the ball with 1 second left and got a good gain on the play.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Doyle mention this in the locker room. He mentioned how good Brissett was in the huddle making the right calls. JB also went to Reich and said let’s keep running the ball. The game last night is how you win playoff foorball. 

If Reich couldn’t figure out to keep running the ball last night on his own he doesn’t belong as a NFL head coach.  It’s nice that Jacoby said that but its not an earth shattering revolution to figure out you need to run against the 32nd ranked run defense which was getting best up in he middle when the strength of your team is your line and running game and it keeps the high powered KC offense off the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

All I know is he managed the game perfect.  We had long drives that kept Mahomes on the sideline. Could we have got more TD sure. But as bad as the KC defense has been they have been very good in the red zone.  This was the type of game you win when it comes playoff time. The INT was a bad throw. He had Ebron wide open and he just didn’t get enough loft on it. Doyle mentioned in the presser how he got them in the right protections all game. Our franchise QB retired two weeks before the season but yet here we are 3-2.

 

I am not too down on Brisset today, but Reich called the game perfect.  Jacoby stared down his receiver, again, and got a pick as a result.  The people that are critiquing his performance are "projecting" the type of play that we need from him to win superbowls.  We don't have a historically great defense so we need him to play better.  What happens when the Patriots force Jacoby to beat them.  Can he do it? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IinD said:

Here we go with the game manager talk... Not even 12 hours after a HUGE win.

It will never end. Well he only threw for 151 yards, blah blah blah. We just went into arrowhead and won. Our QB played a perfect game except for the 1 INT. This reminds me how Danny White was treated in Dallas because he replaced Roger Staubach. Nothing was never good enough. White led the Cowboys to 3 straight Title games by playing smart, running the ball, and playing good D. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Myles said:

That really is a compliment.   This game was managed like it needed to be to win.   37 to 23 time of possession for the Colts.   

Agreed.  He had a very rough game and still hung in there and did enough to beat a very VERY good team.  The numbers arent great but he did an excellent job running the offense and securing a signature win

 

And it can no longer be said ever again that JB7 can only defeat scrub teams

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bhougland said:

 

I am not too down on Brisset today, but Reich managed the game perfect.  Jacoby stared down his receiver, again, and got a pick as a result.  The people that are critiquing his performance are "projecting" the type of play that we need from him to win superbowls.  We don't have a historically great defense so we need him to play better.  What happens when the Patriots force Jacoby to beat them.  Can he do it? 

The irony of folks doing this after we beat a major Superbowl contender should not ne lost on people

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great team win but I wish our offense was not so timid at times. We had a chance to salt the game away earlier and did not. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Great team win but I wish our offense was not so timid at times. We had a chance to salt the game away earlier and did not. 

Still a young season. 1-5 last year people forget already.

 

For 5 games in, Brissett is playing solid ball. Hopefully seeing his own film will help him each week. Him and Frank are learning each other's abilities/nuances on the fly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The irony of folks doing this after we beat a major Superbowl contender should not ne lost on people

 

 the colts were a superbowl contender with luck.  i dont like to keep saying bad stuff about jacoby, but we keep having these threads every week and we won because he handed it off a lot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It will never end. Well he only threw for 151 yards, blah blah blah. We just went into arrowhead and won. Our QB played a perfect game except for the 1 INT. This reminds me how Danny White was treated in Dallas because he replaced Roger Staubach. Nothing was never good enough. White led the Cowboys to 3 straight Title games by playing smart, running the ball, and playing good D. 

Yeah there's definitely a segment of our fanbase that's dying for their 'I TOLD YOU' moment if/when he fails.

 

That int was a bad throw last night, but we lived through some terrible Luck picks. How quickly folks forget all those times he smacked his helmet in disgust from a terrible throw.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Agreed.  He had a very rough game and still hung in there and did enough to beat a very VERY good team.  The numbers arent great but he did an excellent job running the offense and securing a signature win

 

And it can no longer be said ever again that JB7 can only defeat scrub teams

Very well said. We beat the best QB in the league on his home turf with JB behind center. Not much else can be said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

 

I'm saying you can't make a conclusion yet. You can't even make a from-what-we-know-this-is-the-conclusion conclusion. Again, when we need him to not be a game manager, and he is, then we can talk

 

You get you’re saying exactly the same as me right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IinD said:

Yeah there's definitely a segment of our fanbase that's dying for their 'I TOLD YOU' moment if/when he fails.

 

That int was a bad throw last night, but we lived through some terrible Luck picks. How quickly folks forget all those times he smacked his helmet in disgust from a terrible throw.

After last night those people have no ammo. Last night was a signature win and one of the best wins I have seen in years regular season wise. Give Ballard 1 more draft and the Colts will be scary good. Andrew Luck blew it because we have a GM and Coach that are top notch now. All JB is doing is taking advantage of it, having said that he is playing well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...