Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 5 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

45 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I dont think Brissett is above criticism by any means.

But I also wish more fans looked at the totality of the team, what the strengths are, and understood that a QB slinging the ball all over the field takes away from our ability to play smash mouth football. Whatever we do thru the air should play off that ability.

The entire upper echelon of the league seems to be built to throw the ball downfield, and we are a contrarian to that style, which makes us a very tough matchup. Our style is kryptonite to that style of football. 

I'm willing to give Brissett a year, maybe two, to develop into that ultimate game manager. I'll certainly keep evaluating his play and be critical of it, but I will always judge him with our style of play, and what we need from him to enhance that, in mind.

From here on out, I want to see him develop into a deadly play action passer. That's all I need to see from him really. I like his leadership. I think he has a nice, calm demeanor. He doesnt make many mistakes. I just want to see more big plays in the passing game. We dont need a lot, but an occasional deep strike to Hilton or Campbell, and more TEs getting down the seam would be a big for us, moving forward. We can do that thru play action. Hopefully if the defense can build on this performance, he will have a little more confidence to take more calculated risks here and there. 

I like this.  It seems like all the deep shots he's taking thus far this year have been into coverage, except a deep pass to Ebron against the Raiders, if I recall correctly.  If we get running as well as we can, I want to see more PA passes as well.

17 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The team is young.   It is inconsistent BECAUSE it is young.  I expect them to grow into their roles as the season goes on

Personally I saw a lot of signs of legit progress, especially among our young secondary.  Willis stands out as a big example.

I understand the why of it.  I also don't want ot excuse it.  Being young and showing promise inconsistently is a great problem to have.  But sooner or later, it just becomes a problem.  When is that point in time?  I have no idea.  Last night was a step in the right direction and I hope they repeat the effort against the Texans.  They'll need to if they have any plans on winning the division.

52 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The team is young.   It is inconsistent BECAUSE it is young.  I expect them to grow into their roles as the season goes on

Personally I saw a lot of signs of legit progress, especially among our young secondary.  Willis stands out as a big example.

That's the thing I cant understand. How can fans of this team not notice all the youth on the field? How can they not understand that it takes more than 5 games to develop the kind of consistency you need to see.

People are so impressed with our line right now. And guess what? They are gonna get even better. Quenton Nelson should get better, if that's even possible. Braden Smith will also get better.

Our secondary is crazy young. And they are getting better. They just need more experience.

Our LBs are young as well. They will only get better. 

We have two young pass rushers in Turay and Banogu, and even tho we lost Turay last night, they both will get better.

Our RBs are all very young, they are far from a finished product despite playing very well.

Our receivers are young. Pascal, Campbell, Cain.......they will get better.

And Jacoby Brissett is also very young. He will improve in every area. 

Our coach is also new to being a HC, he will get better. All of our assistants are fairly new to being coordinators they will get better as well.

Our GM is a inexperienced GM, he will get even better, and he looks pretty good rn.

There is no reason to be pessimistic when it comes to the Indianapolis Colts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I understand the why of it.  I also don't want ot excuse it.  Being young and showing promise inconsistently is a great problem to have.  But sooner or later, it just becomes a problem.  When is that point in time?  I have no idea.  Last night was a step in the right direction and I hope they repeat the effort against the Texans.  They'll need to if they have any plans on winning the division.

See now I dont get this at all. Idk how long you give them either, but it's a lot more than 5 weeks, I know that.

It isnt even about this year. If we win the division this year that's an amazing accomplishment. More people had us in last in terms of the division after Luck retired than had us possibly winning the division.

You have to have perspective here. You cant just keep adjusting the scale you use to judge them. They werent supposed to be 3-2 after 5 weeks without Andrew. And here they are. They absolutely have a shot at the divisions but it doesnt mean if they dont win it the season is a failure.

• Like 1

I wish youth was an automatic ticket to improvement, but I do expect enough young players to make enough improvements that Ballard will be able to take what we are at the end of the year and build a better team with it than we are right now.

The fact that the team we are right now could go toe to toe with a Superbowl contender, rough them up one side and down the other and win a football game in their building, BEFORE that improvement has really happened... should  be a reason for anyone to be optimistic.

21 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

See now I dont get this at all. Idk how long you give them either, but it's a lot more than 5 weeks, I know that.

It isnt even about this year. If we win the division this year that's an amazing accomplishment. More people had us in last in terms of the division after Luck retired than had us possibly winning the division.

You have to have perspective here. You cant just keep adjusting the scale you use to judge them. They werent supposed to be 3-2 after 5 weeks without Andrew. And here they are. They absolutely have a shot at the divisions but it doesnt mean if they dont win it the season is a failure.

I'm a bit confused as to whether you're arguing against or agreeing with me.  All I'm saying is, if the super bowl is the goal (and why not shoot for this year?), they'll need to more consistently get pressure, win the battle on 3rd down and in the trenches, etc.   I'm not making the argument that if they don't do those things every game that the season is a failure.  Nor am I adjusting any scale.  It's just a plain fact: if they regularly alternate between their identity as a Jekyll and Hyde team, success in the playoffs is unlikely.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm a bit confused as to whether you're arguing against or agreeing with me.  All I'm saying is, if the super bowl is the goal (and why not shoot for this year?), they'll need to more consistently get pressure, win the battle on 3rd down and in the trenches, etc.   I'm not making the argument that if they don't do those things every game that the season is a failure.  Nor am I adjusting any scale.  It's just a plain fact: if they regularly alternate between their identity as a Jekyll and Hyde team, success in the playoffs is unlikely.  

Even though that's probably the company line, no way is the Super Bowl the goal. Most teams would fully collapse if their franchise top 5 QB retired 10 minutes before the season. The playoffs would be a great accomplishment, but some fans wouldn't be happy with that.

Ups and downs will definitely happen this year. But people seem to quick on the super bowl or bust type thinking.

Fans want everything perfect (a lot of NFL fans not just here). Guys aren't even allowed to develop. One year or you're terrible, cut/trade this guy is the thinking.

I can't wait for the off-season threads about 'we're crazy if we keep Jacoby, let's draft/sign ________.' And if he's terrible, just cut him and draft the next guy.

It reminds me of how companies nowadays want fully experienced candidates, but don't want to teach anyone.

Jacoby was dealt two tough hands, coming in two years ago with no help/support from that coaching staff and this year with the Luck drama.

He seems to have many of the franchise qualities you look for, but I fear if it was up to the fans, he'd be run out of town even if he gets us to the playoffs.

Sorry for the rant, I just believe many fans don't want him here or to succeed 5 weeks into his tenure. 

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

Even though that's probably the company line, no way is the Super Bowl the goal. Most teams would fully collapse if their franchise top 5 QB retired 10 minutes before the season. The playoffs would be a great accomplishment, but some fans wouldn't be happy with that.

Ups and downs will definitely happen this year. But people seem to quick on the super bowl or bust type thinking.

Sorry for the rant, I just believe many fans don't want him here or to succeed 5 weeks into his tenure. 

I find this reasoning confusing.  It sounds almost as if the group that is pulling for Jacoby to succeed shouldn't have Super Bowl aspirations.  If he's the long term answer at QB, that must be the goal.  If it isn't, then why play the game?  There'd be nothing to separate us from the Dolphins. 

Going into the year, there were a lot of people who had us as a playoff dark horse.  Small odds (12:1) to win the super bowl, but not insubstantial (they were routinely in the top 5 or 6).  The only change from those predictions and now is Luck's retirement.  If the dropoff from Luck to Jacoby is enough that we should not have expectations of a Super Bowl, then Jacoby would not be the answer going forward and justifying the criticism.  

Me personally, I don't think Jacoby is the answer, but I want more to be in a super bowl no matter who is playing QB.  So despite what I think about Jacoby, I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Also, no need to apologize.  I think we all want the Colts to succeed at the end of the day.  

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I find this reasoning confusing.  It sounds almost as if the group that is pulling for Jacoby to succeed shouldn't have Super Bowl aspirations.  If he's the long term answer at QB, that must be the goal.  If it isn't, then why play the game?  There'd be nothing to separate us from the Dolphins. 

Going into the year, there were a lot of people who had us as a playoff dark horse.  Small odds (12:1) to win the super bowl, but not insubstantial (they were routinely in the top 5 or 6).  The only change from those predictions and now is Luck's retirement.  If the dropoff from Luck to Jacoby is enough that we should not have expectations of a Super Bowl, then Jacoby would not be the answer going forward and justifying the criticism.  

Me personally, I don't think Jacoby is the answer, but I want more to be in a super bowl no matter who is playing QB.  So despite what I think about Jacoby, I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Also, no need to apologize.  I think we all want the Colts to succeed at the end of the day.  

I don't think SB aspirations in year one are fair for him in our twisted Andrew affair. That's all I'm getting at. I think he'd be run off already if it was up to the fans. 

Hopefully he's given a chance with the team getting better these next two years. I think he could definitely be a franchise QB, even if it's not the Brees/Brady type. 

• Like 1

I feel like Brissett had an ok game this game.  Moved the ball well in the first half, threw a bad pick, but didn't lose his poise, per usual.  I still feel like he doesn't read through progressions quick enough, and it seemed like after Jones went out, he had more time to scan the field.  I will also say he had some nice touch passes on a screen or two, or a check down or two.  So he did improve in that area.  I'm not sure if the long ball to Cain was good because it drew PI, or if it was bad.  Maybe he threw it uncatchable on purpose.  However, I was disappointed in the red zone efficiency this week.  Overall, C+.  The int. was on him, otherwise I say a B-.  We just beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead, and although he was not the main reason, IMHO, he was a part of it.

I havnt got to watch every game, but I did watch last nights entire game.

I was very impressed with our Defense.  Loved watching Mack run the ball and I like how Jacoby doesn't get flustered, and doesn't appear intimidated.   I mean afterall.... We were expected to get killed last night.  He managed the game well. 

I feel good about this team. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

I havnt got to watch every game, but I did watch last nights entire game.

I was very impressed with our Defense.  Loved watching Mack run the ball and I like how Jacoby doesn't get flustered, and doesn't appear intimidated.   I mean afterall.... We were expected to get killed last night.  He managed the game well. 

I feel good about this team. 

Several times throughout the game I saw Brissett go around and make physical contact with every man on the offense, making sure everyone was on the same page despite the noise at Arrowhead.

It's worth mentioning.  That's good leadership and I'm sure it helped stabilize the O and keep the team focused

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Several times throughout the game I saw Brissett go around and make physical contact with every man on the offense, making sure everyone was on the same page despite the noise at Arrowhead.

It's worth mentioning.  That's good leadership and I'm sure it helped stabilize the O and keep the team focused

No false start penalties was pretty incredible with the noise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I felt like he had happy feet last night.  Felt like on some plays some things would have opened up if he would have hung in the pocket just a bit longer and went through his reads.  He was frustrating me at different points.  He managed the game ok overall, but I expected him to put more points on the board.

I swear, I have no answer for the human psyche. I have read thousands.....yes, thousands of posts about how much fans want a offensive line that can shove the * ball into another teams grill. How frustrating it is to not be able to convert a 3rd and 1. I have said this as well. 

What's the difference in me and some of those fans? I am freaking elated that we have that! That was....... AWESOME................... We went for it on fourth down, and you know what? I knew they were going to get it! They moved that pile like a freaking diesel powered combine. That....was football!

But......now, since we have that, I guess it's time to point out the flaws in the QB. 

So, what is the moral to this stupid post of mine? Fans just want to complain about something. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I am also losing confidence in him as being the long term answer.  

Biggest win of the season thus far and he didn't even throw for 200 yards.  

For me to see him as the long term answer he's going to need to net us several wins where he carries the team a little bit more.  Because right now it seems like most games, save for the Falcons game he's just not screwing things up and letting a great roster carry him.  

Against the Chargers his yards per attempt was a respectable 7.  Against the Falcons it was a good 8.4.

But against Tennessee 5.2, Against Oakland 5.8, and Against KC 5.2.

In 2 of our 3 wins our QB throwing for only 5.2 Yards per attempt is telling.  

Even if the short throws are all by plan, to me that is telling the Reich doesn't trust him to let it rip deep.  

he had to roll out to the right a ton, and when he did, good things did not happen.  But eventually it became ball control and keep Mahomes watching from the bench.  Entire offensive game plan change.  Brissett could have had 260+ which would likely have brought the YPA upwards, but it simply was not needed nor prudent. 

11 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Honest question. Would you guys trade him for Dak Prescott straight up right now? 

i think hes better but the problem is he is due for a big contract pretty soon, and i wouldnt feel great about resetting the contract market for dak if it was up to me.  someone will do it, but i wouldnt want to bet my career on that

11 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

So...?

So normally if a player isn't great in college then he's not going to suddenly become a Hall of Famer by going pro.

Yet he's a really good game manager and popular in the locker room.

30 minutes ago, Rebel said:

So normally if a player isn't great in college then he's not going to suddenly become a Hall of Famer by going pro.

Yet he's a really good game manager and popular in the locker room.

You're commenting on something you've done zero research on.. Go and look at Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady's college stats. The whole basis is irrelevant and there are plenty of college QB's who had outstanding stats in college that never made it pro. It's a horrible argument that you're on the wrong side of..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

You're commenting on something you've done zero research on.. Go and look at Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady's college stats. The whole basis is irrelevant and there are plenty of college QB's who had outstanding stats in college that never made it pro. It's a horrible argument that you're on the wrong side of..

brady was in college from 95-99, things were a little different then 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich messes up and cost us a TD. If we had converted just 2 FG into TD we would of won that game by two TD and wouldn’t of been close.  People really need to quit whining.

Chloe.  Are you actually Jacoby Brisett?   Come clean.  

21 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I find this reasoning confusing.  It sounds almost as if the group that is pulling for Jacoby to succeed shouldn't have Super Bowl aspirations. 

Aspirations yes, expectations however are something different.

The team around Jacoby is very talented and well constructed but still really young.  This is a setup year to me.  If we compete this year that's great, but this season isn't an all-or-nothing situation. 

I want to make the playoffs because this team would gain a lot from even a bit of playoff experience, but I think we're still a bit too young for Superbowl or bust. 

When and if we get to the playoffs I'm gonna be about taking them one game at a time and counting every game worth of playoff experience as a major victory for developing our youth..

I see us building towards the next few years of being competitive.  This year is about the development and experience required to compete over the next several.  If Brissett is good enough to make us competitive, and so far that looks like a yes, then we don't have a problem at QB -- unless a golden opportunity presents itself, he'll do.

Brissett is more than the sum of his parts to me.  The team around him is playing tougher than they're "supposed" to and the team is giving a lot of credit to his leadership and calmness.  He's got a very young team to a winning record so far even with all the imperfections he has, and that counts for something.  Especially since we haven't exactly had a creampuff schedule.

Keeping everyone calm, organized and moving in the same direction in the noise and chaos of Arrowhead is something not every young team can manage and not every young QB can accomplish.  You can give a lot of that credit to Reich, but Brissett is in for some as well.

If he can continue to manage the game at a very high level, and be a major leader in the clubhouse to keep everyone pulling in the same direction, keep them calm and disciplined, I'm prepared, at least for now, to take the total package that he is in the faith that he'll improve his onfield skills with experience.

14 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I understand the point you are making, but he also makes a decent point.  

Since Brisset has played similar in college and the NFL, it stands to reason that he is what he has been.   Is it cut in stone?   Nope.  He could prove us wrong when and if Reich decides to open it up, but the safe bet is that what we have seen is what we get.   I'm pretty happy with it as long as the defense is good and the O-line is good.  

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Aspirations yes, expectations however are something different.

The team around Jacoby is very talented and well constructed but still really young.  This is a setup year to me.  If we compete this year that's great, but this season isn't an all-or-nothing situation

I see us building towards the next few years of being competitive.  If Brissett is good enough to make us competitive, and so far that looks like a yes, then we don't have a problem at QB -- unless a golden opportunity presents itself, he'll do.

Brissett is more than the sum of his parts to me.  The team around him is playing tougher than they're "supposed" to and the team is giving a lot of credit to his leadership and calmness.  He's got a very young team to a winning record so far even with all the imperfections he has, and that counts for something.

Keeping everyone calm, organized and moving in the same direction in the noise and chaos of Arrowhead is something not every young team can manage and not every young QB can accomplish.  You can give a lot of that credit to Reich, but Brissett is in for some as well.

If he can continue to manage the game at a very high level, and be a major leader in the clubhouse to keep everyone pulling in the same direction, keep them calm and disciplined, I'm prepared, at least for now, to take the total package that he is in the faith that he'll improve his onfield skills with experience.

I agree, but the team does have a chance to make the playoffs or even win the division.   Wouldn't it suck if the lose to the Raiders ends up being a tie-breaker that keeps us out of the playoffs?  

This Brissett lead offense has proven to be able to keep us in every game.   That goes good and bad.  

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I understand the point you are making, but he also makes a decent point.  

Since Brisset has played similar in college and the NFL, it stands to reason that he is what he has been.   Is it cut in stone?   Nope.  He could prove us wrong when and if Reich decides to open it up, but the safe bet is that what we have seen is what we get.   I'm pretty happy with it as long as the defense is good and the O-line is good.  

No he doesn't. The "stats" don't create any trends that point to that being consistently true. Again there are just as many guys with pedestrian college stats that have performed very well at the pro level as there are guys who blew it out of the water in college that never could make it as a pro.. 

The best chance for this team to win a Sb is for JB to improve and be the guy for the the next 5-8 years. If we have to go with a rookie QB this franchise will be set back another 3 to 5 years. Before we know it Nelson and Leonard will be 30 and we won’t have anything to show for. That’s why we are rooting for him. The way we are playing right now is also going to help keep the defense fresh.

• Like 1