Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 5 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

They can but Foles was a weird situation, he wasn't their "starter". Flacco won it, but then look at the damage having an overpaid average QB did to the Ravens after it. 

The aim isn't just to win one and be done. The aim is to build a team that can compete year in, year out. 

AGAIN, I'm not saying I know Brissett can't be a Franchise guy, but I'm not ready to crown him, and there are some very worrying aspects to his play for a QB of his experience. 

I am right there with you.  I think you treat the QB position like you do every other position.  You are always looking for an upgrade if ones out there.  It will be hard to find because you are only talking about to close to 15 guys who would be an upgrade over Brissett but it’s not impossible.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I am right there with you.  I think you treat the QB position like you do every other position.  You are always looking for an upgrade if ones out there.  It will be hard to find because you are only talking about to close to 15 guys who would be an upgrade over Brissett but it’s not impossible.

I'm not flippantly saying it's easy to find that guy, "can't miss" draft prospects are few and far between and they don't hit FA. 

But you also don't want to spend years waiting on a guy to have his break out year, at some point you have to admit to yourselves you've got what you got. I can understand that when your job is on the line you might not want to move on from a solid, if not spectacular, guy at QB. You're also unlikely to be in a position to draft one. 

That being said... the Chiefs look like they've managed it. 

Side note - Alex Smith must be one of the unluckiest guys in the NFL.

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

I'm not flippantly saying it's easy to find that guy, "can't miss" draft prospects are few and far between and they don't hit FA. 

But you also don't want to spend years waiting on a guy to have his break out year, at some point you have to admit to yourselves you've got what you got. I can understand that when your job is on the line you might not want to move on from a solid, if not spectacular, guy at QB. You're also unlikely to be in a position to draft one. 

That being said... the Chiefs look like they've managed it. 

Side note - Alex Smith must be one of the unluckiest guys in the NFL.

Oh I agree with you.  I know what you are saying and I hear you.  

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Oh I agree with you.  I know what you are saying and I hear you.  

But I also recognise the reasons Brissett is starting. It's unprecedented, and on the whole you've got to be very proud of how the team/FO didn't just lie down. They've shown it really is next man up.

• Like 1

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

But I also recognise the reasons Brissett is starting. It's unprecedented, and on the whole you've got to be very proud of how the team/FO didn't just lie down. They've shown it really is next man up.

And credit needs to go to Brissett on that.  He’s shown to be exactly what Reich said he was, a top 20 guy.  It’s easy to say and so do those things when you have a good backup and your backup isn’t Painter.  The 2011 Colts didn’t give up either they just had a dude who didn’t belong in the NFL playing QB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And credit needs to go to Brissett on that.  He’s shown to be exactly what Reich said he was, a top 20 guy.  It’s easy to say and so do those things when you have a good backup and your backup isn’t Painter.  The 2011 Colts didn’t give up either they just had a dude who didn’t belong in the NFL playing QB.

Bingo, Painter was put in an absolute no win situation. It must have been soul destroying for him as a local(ish) boy. 

Dark days indeed. 

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The patriots are good at drafting QB in the 2nd and third round just for that reason. I think it’s smart to have a backup that is that capable. I don’t think think they will draft a QB with the intention of being a backup. Not with hoyer locked up for a few years. You want a veteran in that slot still I think. As much as we laugh about Kelly he could be a backup next year. Also even if they draft one in the first or early second there is no guarantee they will develop. One of the reasons I don’t think they will draft a QB to sit the bench for a year is not sure they will want to carry 3 QB. I think they like hoyer as the veteran.

I'm sorry but that last part makes no sense. Brian Hoyer is nowhere near the caliber of player that should even enter the picture when you are considering whether you should draft a QB or not. If you think you have your franchise QB of the future available (attainable) in the draft, having to carry 3 QBs or having Brian Hoyer on your roster should not be even close to a consideration. If you like a QB and you think he can be your franchise QB, you draft him. You don't care who your back up is... or who your 2 or 3 backups are... it doesn't matter. 

21 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Good point.  

That’s one thing I love about him. He never panics. He knows how to play within himself and doesn’t have to play hero. I don’t think I really see anything fluster him this season. I don’t see the oline having that bad of a day where he gets sacked a lot. The offense is really a pretty well oiled machine right now. We are not punting much at all. We are getting in scoring position almost every drive. Brissett is a big reason for that.

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm sorry but that last part makes no sense. Brian Hoyer is nowhere near the caliber of player that should even enter the picture when you are considering whether you should draft a QB or not. 

Yes and no.

Hoyer being here announces what the team sees Brissett as being -- an asset in development.  he's here to help refine Brissett as a game manager.  He's not here to play but his role is deemed important by people much smarter than I am.

When the team is satisfied that he's done what he can, they'll release Hoyer, then signal their assessment of the result by either 

1: drafting a QB in the first or second round as an immediate successor

2: drafting a young QB to develop behind Brissett as a medium-term successor, with Brissett as the mentor, with the idea of weighing your options down the road as Brissett ages and probably replacing him over the next 5 years

3: signing a UDFA QB as a pure backup and extending Brissett while focusing the draft on other areas of need

Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

• Like 1

As much as I'm concerned about players gifts and how they use them, I asm more concerned with wins.  Here's today's results-  game manager vs. gunslinger. Who won the game?

C/ATT    YDS    %    TD    INT    SACKS    RTG       Y/A
Kyle Allen                  20/32    209   62.5     2    0          2-18      104.6     6.53

Jameis Winston        30/54    400   55.5     1    5          7-35         46       7.40

I'm afraid JB7 can be both of these, if forced to 'risk it for the brisket'  (my play on words).