Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 5 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This might be a silly question but I am really curious to know. Are some of you guys enjoying watching this team? Are you having fun watching football. Or are so many just stuck on what could of been that it’s hard to enjoy watching them.

It is still tough to get over Luck retiring for many, Luck was a QB that was a special talent. I was upset about it as well but I am enjoying watching this team as I love smash mouth football though. I am starting to like JB more and more as well. So far with him we haven't been out of any game. He rarely makes dumb mistakes and he is proven to be Above Average through 5 weeks going by the numbers and wins. Is he good to great? I would say no but he is above average IMO which is better than average. That win at KC was one of the best regular season wins we have ever had. That is not an exaggeration. I do not think some know how tough it is to win there with Mahomes at QB. It took OT for the Pats to get by them last season in the Title game.

Only number that really matters is 3-2 and that is what we are with JB at QB. We have a great O.Line and a good Coach. I am going to enjoy the ride until I see bad football. Until then, I could care less who is in the draft next year QB wise or who is in Free Agency. This is JB's team so people just need to live with it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This article should give everyone hope that the deep ball will come. This was from after the season in 2017. His deep ball in 2017 was very good even with a bad oline.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/09/indianapolis-colts-jacoby-brissett-top-deep-passers/amp/

Again, most people don't question the arm as much, more his willingness to throw it deep. He had the 2nd lowest deep pass attempts in 2017 as well so not sure it is indicative that the deep ball will be seen more. 

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Again, most people don't question the arm as much, more his willingness to throw it deep. He had the 2nd lowest deep pass attempts in 2017 as well so not sure it is indicative that the deep ball will be seen more. 

With our run game I don’t think he needs to throw deep a lot. He just needs to connect on some of the ones he does throw. Reichs system is built on quick passing routes so I don’t think we will see a ton. The point is he was accurate in 2017. Sometimes even if it doesn’t connect it’s a good throw because it keeps teams thinking and as we have seen it has drawn two big PI penalties. 

11 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Yeah, I saw a similar stat this year too. He was among the most accurate players on 20+ yard passes... the problem is that he's in the bottom of the league in attempting those passes. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I saw a similar stat this year too. He was among the most accurate players on 20+ yard passes... the problem is that he's in the bottom of the league in attempting those passes. 

I don’t think he needs to throw a lot of them in this offense. He just needs to connect once in awhile so other teams respect the long ball. I think it’s going to come. Maybe TY next week since he owns the Texans. Maybe against some of the bad teams we have coming up where they they can really work on that chemistry. Even if they come playing some bad teams that is still good just to work on timing and chemistry.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With our run game I don’t think he needs to throw deep a lot. He just needs to connect on some of the ones he does throw. Reichs system is built on quick passing routes so I don’t think we will see a ton. The point is he was accurate in 2017. Sometimes even if it doesn’t connect it’s a good throw because it keeps teams thinking and as we have seen it has drawn two big PI penalties. 

Two PI penalties on two throws that were unlikely to connect anyway. Don't fall into outcome bias, we got lucky. 

If you don't think we'll see it a ton why post saying "it's coming"? 

Shifting sands..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think he needs to throw a lot of them in this offense. He just needs to connect once in awhile so other teams respect the long ball. I think it’s going to come. Maybe TY next week since he owns the Texans. Maybe against some of the bad teams we have coming up where they they can really work on that chemistry. Even if they come playing some bad teams that is still good just to work on timing and chemistry.

If he continues playing like he's playing right now he's bottom 10 QB in the league. You cannot rely on the rest of the team to be good enough to mask the QB's inefficiencies. Or rather... you can probably rely on it happening every now and again, but you will suffer horribly time after time in the playoffs. He needs to be able to move the ball downfield. What we did against KC is not sustainable. This is an outlier type of performance. Most good teams most of the time will kill you if play like this and can't threaten them with the QB.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

It's going to be interesting as our schedule gets tougher. We're going to be in situations where we are down late in the game, and need to throw it deep. I also think teams will continue to stack the box and play shallow in an attempt to stop the run and clog the short/intermediate routes. 

Honestly, I'm more concerned about his poor to mediocre skill at reads/progression than his deep ball. Until he improves, teams will continue to double TY. I think Reich did a good job last week of mixing it up with passing plays that didn't have TY as the 1st read,,,, but it's still pretty frustrating to see JB keep throwing balls to WRs that are covered while not even seeing guys that are wide open.

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Two PI penalties on two throws that were unlikely to connect anyway. Don't fall into outcome bias, we got lucky. 

If you don't think we'll see it a ton why post saying "it's coming"? 

Shifting sands..

Saying it’s coming doesn’t mean a ton. 

I also believe once DF is back working the middle of the field and using him as a bully slot it’s going to allow TY to go down field more often. Seems we have used him a lot on shorter passes.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

It's going to be interesting as our schedule gets tougher. We're going to be in situations where we are down late in the game, and need to throw it deep. I also think teams will continue to stack the box and play shallow in an attempt to stop the run and clog the short/intermediate routes. 

Honestly, I'm more concerned about his poor to mediocre skill at reads/progression than his deep ball. Until he improves, teams will continue to double TY. I think Reich did a good job last week of mixing it up with passing plays that didn't have TY as the 1st read,,,, but it's still pretty frustrating to see JB keep throwing balls to WRs that are covered while not even seeing guys that are wide open.

Our schedule is pretty easy the four games after the Texans.

23 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

BTW... I don't think it's just willingness. I don't think he sees a lot of those throws because:

1. he locks into the 1st read too often

2. he's slow progressing through his reads, thus he cannot get to the longer-taking routes downfield(unless it's a specifically designed shot downfield(the Cain ones for example, where the shot is the primary read)

3. he doesn't see some throws that take anticipation(a ot of those are long throws he has to make). 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

If he continues playing like he's playing right now he's bottom 10 QB in the league. You cannot rely on the rest of the team to be good enough to mask the QB's inefficiencies. Or rather... you can probably rely on it happening every now and again, but you will suffer horribly time after time in the playoffs. He needs to be able to move the ball downfield. What we did against KC is not sustainable. This is an outlier type of performance. Most good teams most of the time will kill you if play like this and can't threaten them with the QB.  

Who says we are going to play that much run against every team. When you have a team that can’t stop the run you keep doing it. They knew it was coming and still couldn’t stop it. Do you stop and think we are going to change the offensive game plan depending on who we play.  Reich has mentioned he wants to be versatile so whatever a opposing team gives you he can take advantage of that. This is going to be a team that plays different depending on the opponent.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

BTW... I don't think it's just willingness. I don't think he sees a lot of those throws because:

1. he locks into the 1st read too often

2. he's slow progressing through his reads, thus he cannot get to the longer-taking routes downfield(unless it's a specifically designed shot downfield(the Cain ones for example, where the shot is the primary read)

3. he doesn't see some throws that take anticipation(a ot of those are long throws he has to make). 

There could also be another explanation for this. He has to learn to trust his oline. He is breaking the pocket to quick instead of staying in the pocket and going through his reads. The good news is as he gets more playing time with this oline that should improve and be a easy fix.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Who says we are going to play that much run against every team. When you have a team that can’t stop the run you keep doing it. They knew it was coming and still couldn’t stop it. Do you stop and think we are going to change the offensive game plan depending on who we play. 

I'm not talking about just running this much, I'm talking about running this successfully. I'm talking about the defense holding this well against a juggernaut of an offense. Whatever offensive plan you decide to use, at the end of the day you will need to be able to consistently move the ball down the field through your QB. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not talking about just running this much, I'm talking about running this successfully. I'm talking about the defense holding this well against a juggernaut of an offense. Whatever offensive plan you decide to use, at the end of the day you will need to be able to consistently move the ball down the field through your QB. 

I get that. Like I said there are more factors then just JB missing reads. The guy is five games Into  system with a rookie as WR 2. Who still should be WR3 or four.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There could also be another explanation for this. He has to learn to trust his oline. He is breaking the pocket to quick instead of staying in the pocket and going through his reads. The good news is as he gets more playing time with this oline that should improve and be a easy fix.

Why are you dismissing EVERY SINGLE worry about Brissett without providing any reason for it? Is there anything Brissett does that worries you? Anything that you think doesn't have an easy fix? ANYTHING? Or is every problem going to just magically disappear the more he plays? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Why are you dismissing EVERY SINGLE worry about Brissett without providing any reason for it? Is there anything Brissett does that worries you? Anything that you think doesn't have an easy fix? ANYTHING? Or is every problem going to just magically disappear the more he plays? 

Because I realize there is a lot more then just him going into this. I am not worried until I see if this team improves by the end of the season. Why should I be worried five games into the season with a Qb who found out two weeks before it started he was the QB. He had no TY against Oakland and dropped passes. Even luck lost games when TY didn’t play. He has a rookie he got no time with in camp. Cain got most of his snaps in camp from walker and Kelly. Ballard mentioned it was going to take him half the season. He wasn’t supposed to be playing this much. After 16 games I will know whether I should be worried.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is becoming one of the more annoying sentiments I see about JB. I don't think he's hit a brick wall in development or anything, but he's also not going to dramatically improve on every weakness. In some areas, he already might very well be what he is. And people talk about inexperience and his high ceiling compared to other young QB but what I don't see mentioned is that he's already almost 27.  Not old by any means, but I don't think he has a super high ceiling for improvement.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

This is becoming one of the more annoying sentiments I see about JB. I don't think he's hit a brick wall in development or anything, but not everything is going to improve drastically. At some point he is going to be what he is. And people talk about inexperience and his high ceiling compared to other young QB but what I don't see mentioned is that he is already almost 27.

And he's had 4 years in the league. Yes, he hasn't played all 4 years, but that's 4 years with Brady and Belichick, with Luck and Reich around... 4 years in NFL film rooms, 4 years taking tons of practice NFL snaps... and half of them he actually played and was taking the QB1 snaps. Sure there are still things he can improve on and most QBs constantly improve on multiple things, but past some point the improvements are usually marginal most of the time rather than leaps. 

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

This is becoming one of the more annoying sentiments I see about JB. I don't think he's hit a brick wall in development or anything, but he's also not going to dramatically improve on every weakness. In some areas, he already might very well be what he is. And people talk about inexperience and his high ceiling compared to other young QB but what I don't see mentioned is that he's already almost 27.  Not old by any means, but sometimes I get the impression people drastically overestimate his ceiling as a QB.

How do you know this. We are five games in. There is no way of knowing this. You might be right but there is no way to know. Yes he is almost 27 but he had five starts in reichs system. You can’t replace game time experience. If he doesn’t improve these things by the end of the season then we can talk. I just think it’s ridiculus to make such conclusions this early. I trust Reich will work with him on these things. He will either improve or he won’t with the experience. Nobody knows whether he can or can’t.

Reich also mentioned during the bye week they were going to be very critical of this team and braking down film to really see where they can improve.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

And he's had 4 years in the league. Yes, he hasn't played all 4 years, but that's 4 years with Brady and Belichick, with Luck and Reich around... 4 years in NFL film rooms, 4 years taking tons of practice NFL snaps... and half of them he actually played and was taking the QB1 snaps. Sure there are still things he can improve on and most QBs constantly improve on multiple things, but past some point the improvements are usually marginal most of the time rather than leaps. 

He doesn’t need to make leaps. He has a couple areas to improve. He doesn’t need to improve that drastically.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's the thing. I think he actually needs to improve drastically in some areas. 

There’s no sense trying to have a sensible conversation with some people about this. They just ignore anything that doesn’t fit in with their idea he’s the solution, and plain just make up stuff in other cases. 

I tend to agree with you on a lot of points you raise, I hope to be proven wrong. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's the thing. I think he actually needs to improve drastically in some areas. 

I think the throwing game needs to improve drastically.

I think that means that Brissett needs to get a little better, and we need to help him out by giving him actual receiving weapons that are not TY Hilton. 

Outside Hilton we have a bunch of guys who wouldn't be third string WR on an established contender, either due to their youth or due to the fact that they're simply not that good.  And Funchess, who is a reach to put at WR2 but had the chance to play up to his contract before he got hurt.

We need better personnel at WR.  It's simply a fact.  It's hard to judge Brissett too harshly for struggling to find his targets while his targets are simply not that good.

I'd love to see Brissett make better use of the WR he has, and he's demonstrated he can do it, but there's no way it can be cone consistently with such a 1 dimensional WR group.  certainly not against the kind of defenses we could expect to encounter in the playoffs

I bet Ballard is on it.  I think we'll see a good WR2 be a major target in the draft.  there's enough of them up for grabs

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I think that means that Brissett needs to get a little better, and we need to help him out by giving him actual receiving weapons that are not TY Hilton

I fully expect when DF comes back that TY will have more opportunities downfield. DF will playing in a lot of spots that TY is playing right now. That gives them the opportunity to send both TY and Cain deep instead of just one. Hilton hasn’t even been going deep. Most of his catches have been 10 yards or shorter.  

Funchess is not enough on his own. 

When you're completing for the playoffs, just enough is not enough

We need someone who can push Funchess into WR3.  Playoff teams suceed or fail based on having 3 valid, productive targets.  Ty is one.  Funchess is arguably another.  But even with Funchess, we need 1 more guy to step up. 

Right now the closest we have to that guy is Zach Pascal and that's frankly alarming.  We hoped it would be Cain and/or Campbell but we need to accept the fact that this isn't happening on our schedule and make adjustments accordingly.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I fully expect when DF comes back that TY will have more opportunities downfield. DF will playing in a lot of spots that TY is playing right now. That gives them the opportunity to send both TY and Cain deep instead of just one. Hilton hasn’t even been going deep. Most of his catches have been 10 yards or shorter.  

That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not been going deep... it just means all completions have been short. Non-targeted deep routes don’t show up on stats. 

It’s a lot of hope to pin on a WR who hasn’t shown much in his career thus far. 

One reason for having a franchise QB, they can make mediocre receivers look viable.

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Funchess is not enough on his own. 

When you're completing for the playoffs, just enough is not enough

We need someone who can push Funchess into WR3.  Playoff teams suceed or fail based on having 3 valid, productive targets.  Ty is one.  Funchess is arguably another.  But even with Funchess, we need 1 more guy to step up. 

We hoped it would be Cain and/or Campbell but we need to accept the fact that this isn't happening on our schedule and make adjustments accordingly.

Well maybe having him back will also give Cain more opportunities. Having that veteran in that bully spot might help Cain. Until I see our full compliment of WR back and playing I am not going to blame it all on JB. Ballard and Reich mentioned it was going to take Cain 8 weeks. We will see. We really don’t even have a slot guy except for Hines.

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well maybe having him back will also give Cain more opportunities. 

By the time we know that we won't be able to make many more adjustments.

Ultimately we can't sit around waiting for these wideouts forever.  We are competitive now.  We have a shot at the playoffs now.  The next few weeks are going to be crucial to securing that

Sure, Cain and Campbell may be superstars next year.  We can't wait for next year.  Next year may never come.

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

I think that means that Brissett needs to get a little better, and we need to help him out by giving him actual receiving weapons that are not TY Hilton. 

Outside Hilton we have a bunch of guys who wouldn't be third string WR on an established contender, either due to their youth or due to the fact that they're simply not that good.  And Funchess, who is a reach to put at WR2 but had the chance to play up to his contract before he got hurt.

We need better personnel at WR.  It's simply a fact.  It's hard to judge Brissett too harshly for struggling to find his targets while his targets are simply not that good.

I'd love to see Brissett make better use of the WR he has, and he's demonstrated he can do it, but there's no way it can be cone consistently with such a 1 dimensional WR group.  certainly not against the kind of defenses we could expect to encounter in the playoffs

I bet Ballard is on it.  I think we'll see a good WR2 be a major target in the draft.  there's enough of them up for grabs

How does another rookie WR help us immediately though? Maybe taking one high will be more ready I guess. It still irks me we could of had Mclaurin who could of been ready right away. Campbell might be better in the long run but we need someone now If Cain does start to improve like he should we might be better off getting a veteran.

9 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

By the time we know that we won't be able to make many more adjustments.

Ultimately we can't sit around waiting for these wideouts forever.  We are competitive now.  We have a shot at the playoffs now.  The next few weeks are going to be crucial to securing that

Sure, Cain and Campbell may be superstars next year.  We can't wait for next year.  Next year may never come.

I think Ballard is going to give them time to develop. The problem is funchess is coming back so if you go get someone right now you have to cut somebody. I would love for Rogers to go but don’t know who would do punt returns.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I also believe once DF is back working the middle of the field and using him as a bully slot it’s going to allow TY to go down field more often. Seems we have used him a lot on shorter passes.

TY plays all over the field, but isn't playing shorter because Funch is out.... More than likely it's to simply keep things short and quick for JB. Besides, we have 3 very capable TEs that run the middle of the field in almost identical routes to bully slot.

Our schedule is pretty easy the four games after the Texans.

Not worried about the easy games on our schedule. I'm worried about the divisional games plus TB, Carolina, NO, and the playoffs.

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

TY plays all over the field, but isn't playing shorter because Funch is out.... More than likely it's to simply keep things short and quick for JB. Besides, we have 3 very capable TEs that run the middle of the field in almost identical routes to bully slot.

Not worried about the easy games on our schedule. I'm worried about the divisional games plus TB, Carolina, NO, and the playoffs.

Well let’s say the passing game gets going against these bad teams. That could instill a lot of confidence in this team going forward. Maybe Cain breaks out against these bad teams. That is going to give him a lot of confidence. We beat a really good defense in TN and scored 3 TD.  The offensive game plan against Houston will probably be the same as KC. For some weird reason we struggled in the red zone against KC when we had been very good. If we had been our usual selfs we score 35 pts against KC. I don’t think we had more then one or two punts. We were in scoring position on almost every drive.

Ballard also mentioned in his quarter update that Parris was still learning how to play outside. He said we were not using him a lot where he was used to.  The best way for young guys to improve is playing. Your going to take some lumps but in the end it pays off. Just like what the defense is doing right now.

52 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How does another rookie WR help us immediately though?

Uhh Chloe, I was clearly refrring to acquiring a veteran in a trade with another franchise. 

I've been loud in my request for a deal to bring in veteran talent to help shore up our identified weaknesses on the roster because we are contenders RIGHT NOW, Not years from now, not weeks from now.  Now.  We have all these hoarded draft assets, NOW is the time to use them to try and compete. 

To me that means a veteran run stuffing LB and a veteran WR need to be acquired as soon as possible, by the deadline at the latest.  We are not building anymore.   We are not punting seasons.   We're done with that phase.  We are competing, and it's time to behave like we're competing. 

I really hope Ballard is able to make the switch, spend what it takes to get the talent we need to complete this team.  There's a time to hoard talent and there's time to flip the switch, and do what it takes to assemble the best team you can now, and try to win Superbowls.  To me the victory over KC was the moment the switch flipped. 

It's not about the future anymore.  It's about this year.  And it's time to set aside the strategies that allowed us to start the rebuild, and adopt the ones that will allow us to finish it.  That means cutting bait with players whose underperformance threatens to undermine your best possible chance at Lombardis, and making room for veteran mercenary talent that will do its job.

In the process of that you'll let some guys get away.  That's OK.  If those guys come good for another team that's in a different phase of their life cycle I don't have a problem with that.  We can't afford look back.  We can barely afford to look ahead.  We have to focus on the now.

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Uhh Chloe, I was clearly refrring to acquiring a veteran in a trade with another franchise. 

I've been loud in my request for a deal to bring in veteran talent to help shore up our identified weaknesses on the roster because we are contenders RIGHT NOW, Not years from now, not weeks from now.  Now.  We have all these hoarded draft assets, NOW is the time to use them to try and compete. 

To me that means a veteran run stuffing WR and a veteran LB need to be acquired by the deadline.  We are not building anymore.  We're done with that phase.  We are competing, and it's time to behave like we're competing. 

I really hope Ballard is able to make the switch, spend what it takes to get the talent we need to complete this team.  There's a time to hoard talent and there's time to flip the switch, and do what it takes to assemble the best team you can now, and try to win Superbowls.  To me the victory over KC was the moment the switch flipped. 

It's not about the future anymore.  It's about this year.  And it's time to set aside the strategies that allowed us to start the rebuild, and adopt the ones that will allow us to finish it.  That means cutting bait with players whose underperformance threatens to undermine your best possible chance at Lombardis, and making room for veteran mercenary talent that will do its job.

In the process of that you'll let some guys get away.  That's OK.  If those guys come good for another team that's in a different phase of their life cycle I don't have a problem with that.  We can't afford look back.  We can barely afford to look ahead.  We have to focus on the now.

Ballard isn't going to trade away draft capital until he knows the QB situation is straight

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Ballard isn't going to trade away draft capital until he knows the QB situation is straight

I hope not because that would be *ic.  We have a chance to compete with the guys we have.  TAKE that chance.  Let Brissett prove what he is by trying to lead the team into the playoffs.  IF he can't do it, you have all offseason to figure out your next move.

12 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

To me that means a veteran run stuffing LB and a veteran WR need to be acquired as soon as possible, by the deadline at the latest.  We are not building anymore.   We are not punting seasons.   We're done with that phase.  We are competing, and it's time to behave like we're competing. 

Yes I got that too. But who do you cut. I would love for Rogers to go but that could put us in s bad spot on PR. Pascal had been critical in run and pass blocking. Like I said if Campbell is expected to miss 6 or 7 weeks we could just IR him to make room. Funchess will be back the next few weeks so carrying 7 WR isn’t going to happen. Plus we aren’t giving up draft capital until the QB situation is more settled.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes I got that too. But who do you cut. I would love for Rogers to go but that could put us in s bad spot on PR. Pascal had been critical in run and pass blocking. Like I said if Campbell is expected to miss 6 or 7 weeks we could just IR him to make room. Funchess will be back so carrying 7 WR isn’t going to happen. Plus we aren’t giving up draft capital until the QB situation is more settled.

Use Hines on PR.   IR Campbell and cut Rogers when Funchess returns.   keeping Rogers isn't worth discarding an opportunity to upgrade a major roster weakness.

We're not just cutting guys, we'd also be adding them.  If we can get Mohammed Sanu from the Falcons, he's an incredibly talented and versatile roleplaying WR.

Our WR depth would then be Hilton-Sanu-Funchess-Pascal-Cain.  That's a WR group worth going to war with.  Especially if Cain eventually *finally!* gets a rhythm with Brissett.

BTW the QB situation is as settled as it's going to get any time in the next 3 years.  I hope that's not the reason Ballard's holding back because it's a really ludicrous reason.

Hines needs to show he can handle PR. I would be curious if he has been working on it in practice. Rogers is a waste of a slot but until you know you have a guy that can handle PR it’s kind of dangerous. Ir could cost you a lot of games. What would be fun to see is us maybe blowing out a couple of these bad teams where we can give Hines a chance without risking a game. There is always TY also I guess if Hines totally failed.