Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 5 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

Brissett was hurt with KC doubling Hilton. Watch his head during pass plays...he locks on a targetbhe chooses pre snap....there is very little after snap "see who is open",

On long pass plays to Hilton or Campbell he is going there whether the receiver is double covered or more and he often underthrows the ball.

Plus side he commands the huddle and he is a good leader. His size and strength helps in the QB sneaks and he does have some mobility.

Here's hoping his scanning the field matches Reich's play calling.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

Yeah there's definitely a segment of our fanbase that's dying for their 'I TOLD YOU' moment if/when he fails.

i know it seems that way but im not looking for him to fail and gloat about how i told you so.

i dont think hes even changed that much since hes been here, rarely the reason we win or lose.  after a win like that im not really looking to pick apart our QB, but we have these threads and im going to be honest in them about what i think i saw

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I really don’t see Funchess being the key to making a big improvement. Just 6 months ago people were wondering why we signed him or who else we were going to sign at WR. It’s not even like he set the world on fire in the one game he did play. When it comes to raising the ceiling for Brissett it’s going to take more than Devin Funchess. Probably a lot more. 

He has a good floor. He’ll never Nathan Peterman you. But conversely, he’ll never Tom Brady you. 

Funchess had 3 receptions for 32 yards and went out before halftime!  That's more than 10 yards per catch.  

He was playing well.  

It could be huge because all we need is someone out there to take some pressure of TY.  TY is our only WR who can consistently get open against single coverage on his own.  Especially if you are looking for someone who can go deep.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i know it seems that way but im not looking for him to fail and gloat about how i told you so.

i dont think hes even changed that much since hes been here, rarely the reason we win or lose.  after a win like that im not really looking to pick apart our QB, but we have these threads and im going to be honest in them about what i think i saw

Oh it's most definitely that way sadly.

I'm learning who and what to ignore on this forum the longer I'm on it.

I think it’s funny how everyone picks apart a couple throws from a game but forgets all the others. I would have loved to see a thread like this every week when Luck was a QB. Or when we have a rookie. Nope there will be no such thread if and when there is a rookie. Reich cost is a TD also. After Wilkins had those to great runs he runs to the outside instead of just running up the middle again and we lost yards.

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Funchess had 3 receptions for 32 yards and went out before halftime!  That's more than 10 yards per catch.  

He was playing well.  

I agree.   I thought he looked great in that game.  

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s funny how everyone picks apart a couple throws from a game but forgets all the others. I would have loved to see a thread like this every week when Luck was a QB. 

lots of people were tough on luck after the KC game last year, and in the early part of the season when he didnt seem to have his arm strength back yet.  

he was top 3 QB for two thirds of the year though, so thats we didnt say many bad things about him during that stretch 

Yeah... this is the thing with me too. We do have those threads for every game and I actually think they are a great idea - I think his play should be under the microscope, because depending on what he shows and how Ballard and Reich evaluate him, he might end up being our QB for the next half a decade or more... I'm using those as a way to keep notes on my thoughts about Brissett and I try to isolate his play away from the game itself. I don't care if we won or lost a particular game, in those threads... I use them specifically to evaluate what I see from Brissett. Just like last week's loss was not on him, this week's win was not on him either. I just want to watch what I see and honestly put my thoughts on 'paper' and see if at the end of the year I would be OK with whatever decision Ballard and co make, be it to extend him or to draft a new QB.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

He was playing well.  

It could be huge because all we need is someone out there to take some pressure of TY.  TY is our only WR who can consistently get open against single coverage on his own.  Especially if you are looking for someone who can go deep.  

So if he kept up that pace that 6 catches for 60 yards.

I can go back and find weeks where Chester Rodgers had the same production in a half as a starter. It doesn’t mean it’s the answer to a problem. 

lots of people were tough on luck after the KC game last year, and in the early part of the season when he didnt seem to have his arm strength back yet.  

he was top 3 QB for two thirds of the year though, so thats we didnt say many bad things about him during that stretch 

I was %ting brix the first few weeks of Luck's return. I thought his arm was completely and totally shot. By the end of the year he'd completely changed my mind... 

• Like 1

JB is a very solid Qb. I'm very grateful we have him as our QB but you have to keep things real. He's a solid starter and and not a franchise QB. He doesn't throw receivers open, he doesn't read the field as well and isn't game changing. Not a knock on JB but we got so used to what Luck can do and realize not many Qb's can do what Luck did. I'll say this. Colts fan need to realize Ballard and his scouts are studying this years Qb's. He realizes in the future you can't pay top dollar to a solid starter and risk letting other players walk. Don't be surprised if this is a KC thing where they move up with with their 2 seconds to get a qb to develop with the 1 year they have JB for and have a new Qb on an affordable rookie contract.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Andrew Luck was better than JB and more talented but JB is good and we have a good team around him. I am trusting JB more and more as the weeks go on. He doesn't need to throw for 300 yards every week for us to win. We can actually run the ball now unlike when we had Luck. We needed Luck to throw for 300 to win big games.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

So if he kept up that pace that 6 catches for 60 yards.

I can go back and find weeks where Chester Rodgers had the same production in a half as a starter. It doesn’t mean it’s the answer to a problem. 

Rodgers can't do that regularly.  

Funchess was brought in to just bring some pressure off TY.  Which he can do.  Rodgers can't. 

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Rodgers can't do that regularly.  

Funchess was brought in to just bring some pressure off TY.  Which he can do.  Rodgers can't. 

He can? Based on what? His best season was only 63 catches for 840 yards in 2017. 

You’re betting the upside here. But saying he’s a good enough receiver that he’s suddenly going to open up the secondary and catch everything thrown his way is a real stretch. 

i like how hes almost impossible to stop when we need a yard on third or forth down.  Mack and the line had their front gassed, and JB finished them on the QB sneak imo

i think their best player had to sit a while, and they had to blitz to avoid being pushed out of the stadium after that play 

Seems like he's too quick to break the pocket, when there isn't any impending pressure. I noticed that on several plays. He isn't good at going thru his reads, and most of the time just locks onto the main read in any given play which leads to a lot of missed -wide open- opportunities downfield. He's leaving a ton of points out there. I'd like to see them go, in no particular order, QB, WR, DL with those first 3 picks in the draft next year, maybe acquire a S and LB further down or in FA and this team is there. This team with Tua would be ridiculous. I'm extremely impressed by how this team has been built by CB, if there were any Ballard haters left hopefully they took their meds and went to bed. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It took a win like this to get everyone's attention again haha . Even Pats fans were impressed with the way we won last night reading other message boards. Hey Bill Belichick did draft JB lmao 

Because Pats fans know and understand 'Complimentary Football'. The whole team is pulling on the rope from the same side. Not necessarily always equal, but together anyway. And the teams (and most of their fans) knows their identity.

I heard Charlie Weis say today, the Colts know their identity.  He says the Chiefs know their identity.  He says, what is and who knows what the Chargers identity is?

Then he explained its an evolving thing as well. Early in Weis/Brady combo, the Pats indentity was the defense was more of a strength, and they (offense) played more to that.  As Brady and the offense improved, they shifted more toward the offense.  Now in Brady's twilight, you see the shift back toward the defense again.

I think Our fans see our identity now (could well be different down the road) and the importance of complimentary football and just aren't comfortable with it after a couple decades of having Peyton and Andrew at QB. Seems understandable to me.

I'd love to have someone interview Vinny and see if he feels JB could lead them into a game tying or leading TD (he has already), or a spot where the Goat could drill another game winning FG dagger.

I'm intrigued with this very young teams 'building' together' progress, and JB's progress in it.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He can? Based on what? His best season was only 63 catches for 840 yards in 2017. 

You’re betting the upside here. But saying he’s a good enough receiver that he’s suddenly going to open up the secondary and catch everything thrown his way is a real stretch. 

I'll trust Reich's judgement on it.  He's made good decisions thus far.  Specifically wanted Funchess.  

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

JB is a very solid Qb. I'm very grateful we have him as our QB but you have to keep things real. He's a solid starter and and not a franchise QB. He doesn't throw receivers open, he doesn't read the field as well and isn't game changing. Not a knock on JB but we got so used to what Luck can do and realize not many Qb's can do what Luck did. I'll say this. Colts fan need to realize Ballard and his scouts are studying this years Qb's. He realizes in the future you can't pay top dollar to a solid starter and risk letting other players walk. Don't be surprised if this is a KC thing where they move up with with their 2 seconds to get a qb to develop with the 1 year they have JB for and have a new Qb on an affordable rookie contract.

Ditto to all.  Not a knock on JB, but he is a game manager, not a game changer, and in fairness to him, we still have Luck on the brain.  I admit thinking more than once we'd be unstoppable with this running game with Luck back there.  

12 hours ago, bestQBever said:

Not sold on Brissett. He managed the game today but it just seems like he doesn't anticipate recievers open which is key for getting those 20+ yd completions. 

But look at the contrast with Mahomes. Mahomes pretty much throws to wide open receivers.

If Colt receivers got open like Chief receivers, Brissett would have better production.

Where were the Colts tight ends in this game?

If the defense plays this good all the time and the running game carries the offense, yeah, Brissett is good enough to make a run in the playoffs.  Problem is, they don't always play like that.  Question is, which is the normal tendencies of this team, Oakland or Kansas City?  I don't know, but I suspect we can expect inconsistent results, which ultimately won't be good enough.  It sure was fun to watch, though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, egg said:

But look at the contrast with Mahomes. Mahomes pretty much throws to wide open receivers.

If Colt receivers got open like Chief receivers, Brissett would have better production.

Where were the Colts tight ends in this game?

A lot of them become open because of Mahomes' scrambling ability, it is hard to keep coverage for 6-7 seconds. It is not because of scheme. Even our pass catchers will get open if our QB scrambles for that long. That is what happened with Andrew Luck but the downside is you are going to get yourself hurt at some point in time and it has been a time tested result, IMO. 

The element of speed is exclusive to T.Y. unless Campbell is also playing alongside. Cain is a long strider, takes time to gain speed and he, along with Funchess, are more of the big body types that can go up and get it underneath (or) need time for their routes to succeed down the field. Funchess has a little more experience breaking routes off than Cain, that is where the growth needs to happen. We have experience or speed, but have both only with TY, IMO.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If the defense plays this good all the time and the running game carries the offense, yeah, Brissett is good enough to make a run in the playoffs.  Problem is, they don't always play like that.  Question is, which is the normal tendencies of this team, Oakland or Kansas City?  I don't know, but I suspect we can expect inconsistent results, which ultimately won't be good enough.  It sure was fun to watch, though.

That is what you expect from a young defense, something Eberflus is still figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of. One week, the young D plays lights out but another week, could have a cold start, the inconsistency will drive you nuts. The hope is the young D stabilizes to show a good floor as the year goes on.

• Like 1

Great win and there was little extra from the team and Justin Houston.

However we had to play at an extremely high level as a team to eek out that win

because of limitations in the passing attack. 
We are inconsistant as a team and JB is just an extension of that. When the team

has problems JB is not able to overcome it by himself.  When the team is playing

its A game. JB can be great game manager.

The problem with this is we are relying on a one guy a little too much. Mack is

going to get dinged up again. Its not a mattter if but when.  JB has to show he can

put the team on his back and carry them not just at home but on the road.  

For some, this is just a progrosession and that he will get there. For others in the prove-it state of Indiana he dosnt have any history of doing this anywhere else so there is

nervousness about where this team is going after this year. Im rooting for him

but not as much as I am rooting for the Colts and what they plan to do with him

long term. He definetely has moxy and and leadership qualities, game talent just

isnt there yet.  Im afraid we get to the end of the year and some will say he needs 

another year to really realize his true potential.  We may never have a team like

we have this year thats why you play to win now.  Overall I am really happy

for the Colts today. They shocked the world.

• Like 3

All defenses have weaknesses, and thus when it gets found and exploited it seems inconsistent.  Especially when guys then try to do too much and really get exposed.

Cowboys D looked good through 4 weeks, then Aaron Rodgers exploited them.  They will probably bounce back dominate the Jets.  Their next test is the Eagles.

Colts are still young, injured, and growing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is what you expect from a young defense, something Eberflus is still figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of. One week, the young D plays lights out but another week, could have a cold start, the inconsistency will drive you nuts. The hope is the young D stabilizes to show a good floor as the year goes on.

My brother thinks that they found their identity yesterday.  I don't know if I can go that far, but I do think they tapped into their potential a bit.  I'll need need to see more proof before I put a label on it though.  I do love what Ballard and Reich are doing though, it's impossible not to be excited for it.  

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

My brother thinks that they found their identity yesterday.  I don't know if I can go that far, but I do think they tapped into their potential a bit.  I'll need need to see more proof before I put a label on it though.  I do love what Ballard and Reich are doing though, it's impossible not to be excited for it.  

Hate to quote Collinsworth but with Tyreek Hill in the line up, you would be rotating a safety towards him and that frees the numbers in favor of the Chiefs considerably underneath. So, the same type of coverage may not work for another team.

• Like 1

I dont think Brissett is above criticism by any means.

But I also wish more fans looked at the totality of the team, what the strengths are, and understood that a QB slinging the ball all over the field takes away from our ability to play smash mouth football. Whatever we do thru the air should play off that ability.

The entire upper echelon of the league seems to be built to throw the ball downfield, and we are a contrarian to that style, which makes us a very tough matchup. Our style is kryptonite to that style of football. 

I'm willing to give Brissett a year, maybe two, to develop into that ultimate game manager. I'll certainly keep evaluating his play and be critical of it, but I will always judge him with our style of play, and what we need from him to enhance that, in mind.

From here on out, I want to see him develop into a deadly play action passer. That's all I need to see from him really. I like his leadership. I think he has a nice, calm demeanor. He doesnt make many mistakes. I just want to see more big plays in the passing game. We dont need a lot, but an occasional deep strike to Hilton or Campbell, and more TEs getting down the seam would be a big for us, moving forward. We can do that thru play action. Hopefully if the defense can build on this performance, he will have a little more confidence to take more calculated risks here and there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I really don’t see Funchess being the key to making a big improvement. Just 6 months ago people were wondering why we signed him or who else we were going to sign at WR. It’s not even like he set the world on fire in the one game he did play. When it comes to raising the ceiling for Brissett it’s going to take more than Devin Funchess. Probably a lot more. 

He has a good floor. He’ll never Nathan Peterman you. But conversely, he’ll never Tom Brady you. 

The amazing irony here is that everyone thought that was true of Brady himself when he was young. High polish, high floor, game manager, carried by his D and plays to the coach's plan.

That's where Brady started.  It sure as heck wasn't where he finished.

Brissett is just getting started too.  Let's see where this goes.

KC reminds me of Colts teams over the last decade as a run defending team.  They suck.  Our line is awesome.  Huge mismatch.

We are going to me really good against week run defending teams.  Jacboy didn't have to do anything in the 2nd half but hand it off.  He passed for 30 yds.  I don't really understand the manager thing.  Brissett was a non factor in the 2nd half.  The Colts played the game like an early 80s HS football team and won.  

The pass rush and running game won the game.  Brissett did little positive and had the one negative. 

We won't be able to line it up and smashmouth the Texans.  Brissett will have to perform.  So far I've seen no evidence that he can do anything other than hit guys on the first read who are schemed open.  He scrambles like Big Ben but usually doesn't make any plays down field.

The Texans will force Brissett to read and make throws.  I doubt he does it well based on past performances.

Reich is coaching his fanny off, but at some point, JB is going to have to read and react.  Don't think he will.  I hope if what has happened happens that we move on.   

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hate to quote Collinsworth but with Tyreek Hill in the line up, you would be rotating a safety towards him and that frees the numbers in favor of the Chiefs considerably underneath. So, the same type of coverage may not work for another team.

I was actually more concerned about Kelce than anyone else.  For years, we have been lackluster in our coverage of TEs.  In the divisional game against KC last year, Kelce ripped us up.  But you are right, Tyreek adds another dimension.  But with he and Sammy Watkins out (for most the game), coverage responsibilities weren't as difficult as they could have been.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I was actually more concerned about Kelce than anyone else.  For years, we have been lackluster in our coverage of TEs.  In the divisional game against KC last year, Kelce ripped us up.  But you are right, Tyreek adds another dimension.  But with he and Sammy Watkins out (for most the game), coverage responsibilities weren't as difficult as they could have been.

Me too on the Kelce thing.  But we ran with him all night.  He was well covered even on most of the plays he did make.  If Wilson can run with the TE, that's all we would need him to do.  Very surprised.  They took him out.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I dont think Brissett is above criticism by any means.

But I also wish more fans looked at the totality of the team, what the strengths are, and understood that a QB slinging the ball all over the field takes away from our ability to play smash mouth football. Whatever we do thru the air should play off that ability.

I don't really see anybody saying we should've tried to air it out more last night. It seems like most people are just pointing out areas where Brissett struggled when we did  go to the passing game.

Although, there will be games where we're forced to rely on the pass more. We've seen that and will continue to see that. We won't always be able to win games like we did last night, which was about as perfectly as it could go in regards to our running game. Same goes for the defense, we won't always see such dominant performances like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The team is young.   It is inconsistent BECAUSE it is young.  I expect them to grow into their roles as the season goes on

Personally I saw a lot of signs of legit progress, especially among our young secondary.  Willis stands out as a big example.

• Thanks 1