Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 5 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Might be good if they didn't.  If texans beat chiefs and we beat texans the odds of us getting  the number two seed increase. 

I think Mahomes  did it in the rams game last year. Actually  he had three ints with his 6 tds

I doubt that’s ever happened Stephen.

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Are you forgetting the chargers when we had the drive to tie the game. Yes it was a lot of Mack but don’t forget the 3rd and 22. He hit Hilton for 18 then hit funchess for 8 more on fourth down. Then had the passing TD to tie it. In TN he still threw the TD to put us in the lead. 

Complimentary football. JB7 led a balanced offense, completed 21 of 27 of hispass attempts for 190 yards, threw two touchdowns and a posted a120.7 passer rating. He even had a potential third TD pass to Eric Ebron get called incomplete. JB & and T.Y. hooked up on eight of nine targets for 87 yards and two touchdowns, the second one made it 24 - 22 and set up the game-tying two point conversion with 38 seconds left. Our OT defense was gassed and stunk though.  And Adam wasn't the GOAT that day.

I think JB7 has shown he can move the O for game tying score, and he also had a great 4 minute offense series or two as well.  I'm hoping for more though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Did you think MHomes looked rattled in the first half before he hurt his ankle?  I didn’t.  He looked awesome.  Made some incredible plays.  He looked hurt to me, not rattled.  He was without his best two receivers too.  We bracketed Kelce and were in PH face constantly.

JB faced little pressure but bailed a few times.  He’s a calm looking dude.  His eyes look like he’s counting beans, but he panics when in the pocket and the 1st option is negated IMO.

I disagree. Of course Mahomes wasn’t rattled at first, but when he first had his ankle stepped on I saw him start getting more frustrated and more worried looking. He was definitely a little rattled after those two possessions of his in his own end zone where he couldn’t make any passes and got hit every play.

Also, when talking about JB, he doesn’t have a pocket presence, obviously, something he needs to work on. But he never lets a bad throw or a hit or even a turnover bring him down or let him make poor decisions. JB has what, three INTs? One of which should’ve been a face mask called on the Tennessee defender? For a backup, that’s good ball protection, especially when he’s scored a decent amount of touchdowns between passing and rushing. If there’s one thing JB is better at than younger Luck was, it’s not letting mistakes affect him. First-three-years-Luck always got down after he turned the ball over, JB does not.

Is he Russel Wilson, Pat Mahomes, Drew Brees, or even Garrapalo? No

But he doesn’t need to be

I’m just grateful we don’t have Luke Faulk right now

6 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I feel like these "Impressions" threads need a reminder/sticky for each one...

I've seen the word "whining" and phrases like "can't we just be happy with a win?" countless times in these threads. It's completely possible to be happy with a win and still point out where JB struggled (and obviously there were positives too). And I don't see much of what I'd consider whining in this thread, not in the least.

not praising JB as the next great Colts QB is whining didn't you know?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

In depth well thought out response. I am out of likes.

too bad.  I live for likes on football message boards.

27 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The whole defense was well below averzge the 1st 2 weeks.

The rush wasn't and Hooker wasn't.

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The way JB handled himself in arrowhead was so impressive. No false starts making sure everyone knew the snap count and the play was very good. No rookie is going to come in and do that right away. You also have to think about a locker room if you sit a drafted guy for a year and how the team plays when there is a lame duck QB. The players love him and his leadership skills are very good. If you seen his post game locker room speech to the players is what is impressive. I think Reich will have him playing better by the end of the season. We need him to be the guy if we want a SB the next two or three years. 

If no false starts are your bar.... 

It's false to to say no rookie could do that, plenty have come in and been capable. 

You defensiveness about JB is extreme and blinds you to a considered opinion. Just because people talk about stuff like Y/A being a pretty darn important metric for long term success, doesn't  meant they're salivating at the mouth to draft a QB in the 1st round. 

You have no way to say for sure that we only win a Super Bowl with JB, no one does, and that goes for the converse. You know why? Because we just haven't seen enough to evaluate him. It is however a worrying trend that he's never been able to consistently threaten teams deep. If you don't have that ability you have to be a special level talent in reading a D and adjusting on the line accordingly to get away with it in the long term. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The point is there are a lot of deep balls thrown in this video. So the stuff saying he can’t throw a deep ball is silly. There are some elite throws in that video. Nobody stops to think maybe this is reichs system right now or maybe having young WR is a issue.

Except he was very similar under other coaches and systems... 

No one has questioned if he has the arm strength, what they've questioned is the lack of willingness to go deep (which might be a scheme thing), but he's also not seen guys open down the field, or chose to take the shorter throw. A big part of this IMO is he locks onto a receiver and doesn't see plays developing down the field. On one throw to Cain he obviously saw it late and made the throw late allowing the DBs to recover. Thankfully it was laundry day. 

When he has gone deep this season, he's missed. His Y/A is low for a starting QB, and you won't see many QBs with sustained success with a low Y/A. I'm not saying he can't improve on that, but until he does it's not unfair to talk about it. It's a fact. 

There is no one metric to assess QB play, but if I had to pick one I'd look at Adjustned Net Yards/Attempt as it's a fairly decent first pass indicator of whether a QB can:

1) Not turn the ball over

2) Move the ball down the field in the air 

3) Throw TD passes 

4) Avoid sacks (slightly unfair IMO)

5) Be efficient

Look at the all time list since 2000 and tell me if you can see a pattern emerging: 

http://pfref.com/tiny/pdzVr

• Like 5

8 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I didn't alter or cherry pick anything. Those are your words, word for word... It's ok to be wrong and move on man :thmup:

Nope.   You are still wrong.   I have history, stats and trends that show that I am right at this time.  Perhaps Jacoby and Reich can change things, but at this point, Brissett is a QB who plays possession ball very well.   With him as QB, the Colts are much better off in a lower scoring game (18-25 points) rather than a game that is a shootout.  

I like that identity of the team.  

The thing about most rookie QBs that come in, and have marginal success, is that they're normally on teams that are complete dumpster fires. IF the Colts choose to draft a guy next year, they'll be coming into a great situation; a team built to win, an offensive line that's arguably the best in the league, and a better than average set of weapons (that will hopefully be even more improved after the next offseason). Just because Brissett is playing okay to good football and the Colts are winning some games, doesn't mean that you can't bring in a better QB, with the potential to bring the team to that championship caliber. It's not a personal attack on Brissett. Everyone here obviously wants this Colts team to win the SB, every year, most of us just have varying opinions on the best way to do that. My opinion is that Brissett isn't that dude, for a multitude of reasons highlighted throughout this thread, and that a guy should be taken in 2020. Quarterback classes like that one don't come along often, need to take full advantage, and Ballard knows this, that's why the team is sending lead scouts to all of the games involving the 1st round graded guys. Most recently, the LSU/Utah St. game this last week involving Joe Burrow and Jordan Love. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

The thing about most rookie QBs that come in, and have marginal success, is that they're normally on teams that are complete dumpster fires. IF the Colts choose to draft a guy next year, they'll be coming into a great situation; a team built to win, an offensive line that's arguably the best in the league, and a better than average set of weapons (that will hopefully be even more improved after the next offseason). Just because Brissett is playing okay to good football and the Colts are winning some games, doesn't mean that you can't bring in a better QB, with the potential to bring the team to that championship caliber. It's not a personal attack on Brissett. Everyone here obviously wants this Colts team to win the SB, every year, most of us just have varying opinions on the best way to do that. My opinion is that Brissett isn't that dude, for a multitude of reasons highlighted throughout this thread, and that a guy should be taken in 2020. Quarterback classes like that one don't come along often, need to take full advantage, and Ballard knows this, that's why the team is sending lead scouts to all of the games involving the 1st round graded guys. Most recently, the LSU/Utah St. game this last week involving Joe Burrow and Jordan Love. 

Reich was touting how unfair our O would be with all of his new offensive weapons. He was plum giddy.
 We are 5 games in and you write Brissett off (your opinion haha) and he has no Funchess, Campbell, T Y hurting, and Ebron issues.
  You have NO CLUE what Brissett will be like after this season and another off season.  Blather on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Do you think 2020 is all that strong a class? Most seem to think 2021 is the year. 

It's a common trope though isn't it. A lot of college QBs who aren't eligible for the next draft are talked up and then have a poor college season and slide. Trevor Lawrence gets talked up as being better than anyone in the 2020 class, but a lot can change in 18 months. 

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s possible the jags could trade foles. You could probably get him for a pretty good draft pick also. I am riding the JB train until this team fails and shows me they can’t win. I am actually loving watching team football. This is how you win in Jan.

Not sure I want Foles.  Has he ever been effective over a full 16 game season?

Foles is a tweener.  He'd be a great QB2 but he's too good to be a QB2, and as a QB1, he has some serious holes in his game.  Foles thrives on limited exposure and wilts in the limelight. He'd be a good co-starter in the vein of Earl Morrill and Johnny Unitas  but the NFL doesn't really do that these days.

Brissett is also a bit of a tweener at the moment but I think there's a good chance he can transcend that given enough time.  So far even at his worst he's able to stand in there and manage the game, and that's a lot better than it could be.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Do you think 2020 is all that strong a class? Most seem to think 2021 is the year. 

It's a common trope though isn't it. A lot of college QBs who aren't eligible for the next draft are talked up and then have a poor college season and slide. Trevor Lawrence gets talked up as being better than anyone in the 2020 class, but a lot can change in 18 months. 

Lawrence hasn't looked nearly as good as he did in his freshman year, I'd say that Justin Fields is probably the favorite in 21 at this point. Those are really the only 2 guys I'm aware of tho, and I follow this stuff pretty closely. Whereas in 2020, you have at least 5 guys appearing to have 1st round grades in Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Burrow, and Hurts. Love and Eason have every chance to play themselves in, and Ballard is quoted saying he really liked Love, which is probably why we had our scouts at the LSU/Utah St. game. Personally, we're out on Tua, unless they're willing to mortgage quite a bit to move up and grab him. I'd prefer Burrow if I had my choice. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Not sure I want Foles.  Has he ever been effective over a full 16 game season?

Foles is a tweener.  He'd be a great QB2 but he's too good to be a QB2, and as a QB1, he has some serious holes in his game.  Foles thrives on limited exposure and wilts in the limelight. He'd be a good co-starter in the vein of Earl Morrill and Johnny Unitas  but the NFL doesn't really do that these days.

Brissett is also a bit of a tweener at the moment but I think there's a good chance he can transcend that given enough time.  So far even at his worst he's able to stand in there and manage the game, and that's a lot better than it could be.

Foles was pretty good in 2013, but that was about the most consistently productive year.  And it wasn't even a full 16 games.  He sat behind Vick and once he got injured on week 4 or 5, Foles ran with it and took the starting gig.  There's times where he looks like a capable starting QB, and then he doesn't.  JB may have limitations as a passer, but he's also pretty dependable.  So I'm with you on the Foles assessment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

From what I've seen this coming class 2020(unless some of the underclassmen stay in school) is a relatively good class. You have a high end prospect in Tua(and maybe Burrow if he keeps playing like he's been playing so far??), but it also has some depth with different flavors of QBs... thus different teams might like different QBs better...

You have the high potential, gunslinger with good pocket presence and great traits QB in Jordan Love, who is not ready and needs to clean up some things(he probably needs to sit for a year and learn) before he starts in the league.

You have the game manager on steroids in Fromm who is extremely smart and savvy, very accurate on short and intermediate throws, but lacks elite playmaking and arm strength. 

You have elite arm talent Herbert, who can make plays on the run but there are also questions about his leadership and ability to win big games.

You have Eason who is OK, but not great at everything and has no pronounced strengths(besides having the prototypical size for a QB).

I have not watched much of Hurts and Fields this year. The little I've seen from Fields leaves me wanting more.  I would still take Lawrence if I had to make that pick now for the 2021 draft. 

A lot of it in this year's draft will be about what teams prefer in their QB. Before the season started there were rumors that Ballard and co. love Jordan Love. No idea if true, but traits-wise he's similar to Mahomes and very different to what Brissett is. Some GMs and coaches have obvious types when they are looking for a specific position(QB in this case), other GMs are OK drafting the talent building schemes/roster around him that fit him. We know Ballard has a type defensively, no idea in hell whether he has a type when it comes to QBs. 

• Like 2

After the Monday night game I really want a nick bosa on defense rather then a QB. If this team develops on defense this year I really would like to trade up to get a stud like that on defense.  Then after the 2020 season we can revaluate. I agree if we do eventually have to turn to a rookie it will be a good situation. It also will give JB two years to improve and the young WR to grow. You really want to give him time so you don’t make a mistake by giving up to soon. Right now we are in a better position then last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Lawrence hasn't looked nearly as good as he did in his freshman year, I'd say that Justin Fields is probably the favorite in 21 at this point. Those are really the only 2 guys I'm aware of tho, and I follow this stuff pretty closely. Whereas in 2020, you have at least 5 guys appearing to have 1st round grades in Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Burrow, and Hurts. Love and Eason have every chance to play themselves in, and Ballard is quoted saying he really liked Love, which is probably why we had our scouts at the LSU/Utah St. game. Personally, we're out on Tua, unless they're willing to mortgage quite a bit to move up and grab him. I'd prefer Burrow if I had my choice. 

Burrow has been growing on me a lot. He looks a bit Matt Ryan-ish to me. (this is a compliment). I'd love to see how he plays against some better defenses and we will see that in the coming weeks and months. He has games against Alabama, Auburn, Florida... those are all good defenses that will test him. The scary thing is... PFF is already hyping him as QB2 and even potentially QB1 and they've been pretty influential with their QB-analysis last several years. It's very possible if he keeps up this level, he is in the same range with Tua so... out of our range in reality. This is a weird one - I want him to continue doing well because it will make the QB class better, but I don't want him to get too hyped and get himself drafter out of our range. 

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Reich was touting how unfair our O would be with all of his new offensive weapons. He was plum giddy.
 We are 5 games in and you write Brissett off (your opinion haha) and he has no Funchess, Campbell, T Y hurting, and Ebron issues.
  You have NO CLUE what Brissett will be like after this season and another off season.  Blather on.

It's because we don't know what JB will be like next year that we're even discussing possibly replacing JB in the draft.  Every year, in every draft you put guys on the roster to improve it.  I don't understand why the QB position would be an exception to that.  If we draft someone and he doesn't win the position, JB is still the QB.  Rodgers took over for Favre, Mahomes took over for Alex Smith, Brady over Bledsoe and so on and so forth. 

I'm not saying we're going to draft the next QB of the future next year.  Even if we did, he might need to hold a clip board his first couple years.  But absolutely no one disagrees that JB could stand to play at a higher level, whehter it's the group that says JB will improve with time or the group that doesn't make such an assumption and would use the draft to get better at the QB position in case JB isn't the guy that will lead this franchise for the next 10 years.  I don't see what the harm is in trying to get better at the most important position in football.  The better players we have, the more success we'll have, but that doesn't mean we can't be successful between now and then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It's because we don't know what JB will be like next year that we're even discussing possibly replacing JB in the draft.  Every year, in every draft you put guys on the roster to improve it.  I don't understand why the QB position would be an exception to that.  If we draft someone and he doesn't win the position, JB is still the QB.  Rodgers took over for Favre, Mahomes took over for Alex Smith, Brady over Bledsoe and so on and so forth. 

I'm not saying we're going to draft the next QB of the future next year.  Even if we did, he might need to hold a clip board his first couple years.  But absolutely no one disagrees that JB could stand to play at a higher level, whehter it's the group that says JB will improve with time or the group that doesn't make such an assumption and would use the draft to get better at the QB position in case JB isn't the guy that will lead this franchise for the next 10 years.  I don't see what the harm is in trying to get better at the most important position in football.  The better players we have, the more success we'll have, but that doesn't mean we can't be successful between now and then.

If a guy falls to us that’s fine. My point is if their is a stud defensive guy there I would rather take them instead of  a QB who may or may not be our further QB. The defense still has holes that need to be addressed. Now if ballard gets a FA on defense that could change things. You don’t pass up on a stud at defense right now. If after 2020 the defense looks great then I think we can look and see and see if we need a QB. Also gives time for the young WR develop a chemistry with Jacoby.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have heard a lot of people say teams should stay away from big school QB. They mention how it’s hard to evaluate them when those teams are loaded with talent.

I don't think that's true.  You can make sense of a lot of a QBs strengths and weaknesses, whether that's arm strength, ability in the pocket, and so on and so forth.  Where most people, including NFL scouts, get it wrong is projecting how that player will progress in an NFL offense.  And that's the most difficult thing about scouting in general, let alone at a position like QB.  

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

After the Monday night game I really want a nick bosa on defense rather then a QB. If this team develops on defense this year I really would like to trade up to get a stud like that on defense.  Then after the 2020 season we can revaluate. I agree if we do eventually have to turn to a rookie it will be a good situation. It also will give JB two years to improve and the young WR to grow. You really want to give him time so you don’t make a mistake by giving up to soon. Right now we are in a better position then last year.

You probably already know this but we're not getting a Bosa level talent without trading up into the top 5, probably higher than that. We're not gonna get any stud without trading up really, especially a DL prospect.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If a guy falls to us that’s fine. My point is if their is a stud defensive guy their I would rather take them instead of  a QB who may or may not be our further QB. The defense still has holes that need to be addressed. Now if ballard gets a FA on defense that could change things. You don’t pass up on a stud at defense right now. If after 2020 the defense looks great then I think we can look and see and see if we need a QB. Also gives time for the young WR develop a chemistry with Jacoby.

Well and that's entirely reasonable.  I'm not suggesting that we take a QB in the first or second at all costs (which is unreasonable).  I'm always in favor of drafting the best guy available. 

I'ts not like JB is a bum.  He could stand to improve, or we could draft someone that ends up being better.  Either way is fine, but when you don't have someone like Manning or Luck, you're not "set" at QB.  So now, when the Colts are on the clock, draft the next best player available.  If that happens to be QB, great.  If it happens to be a DE, or WR, or LB, that's just as good.  Build the roster to compete at a higher level, don't draft just to replace a perceived need.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

You probably already know this but yeah, we're not getting a Bosa level talent without trading up into the top 5.

Yes I understand he is that good. But if there is someone that can play right away and make a difference either at where we are picking or moving up a few spots that’s what  I want.  Houston won’t be here after 2 years and who knows how well Turay comes back from that injury. I just don’t think the QB is that much of a issue right now to take one over a defensive guy. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes I understand he is that good. But if there is someone that can play right away and make a difference either at where we are picking or moving up a few spots that’s what  I want.  Houston won’t be here after 2 years and who knows how well Turay comes back from that injury. I just don’t think the QB is that much of a issue right now to take one over a defensive guy. 

That's fine, and I agree we're not set on the DL long term by any means. Just to be nitpicky though it'd likely be way more than a few spots we'd have to trade up for one of those "can't miss" prospects. Realistically, you'd probably have to trade up into the top 3.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have heard a lot of people say teams should stay away from big school QB. They mention how it’s hard to evaluate them when those teams are loaded with talent.

Like who? 

You’re more evasive than a politician you know that. You post something, it gets refuted, you ignore it and move onto your next random statement. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well and that's entirely reasonable.  I'm not suggesting that we take a QB in the first or second at all costs (which is unreasonable).  I'm always in favor of drafting the best guy available. 

I'ts not like JB is a bum.  He could stand to improve, or we could draft someone that ends up being better.  Either way is fine, but when you don't have someone like Manning or Luck, you're not "set" at QB.  So now, when the Colts are on the clock, draft the next best player available.  If that happens to be QB, great.  If it happens to be a DE, or WR, or LB, that's just as good.  Build the roster to compete at a higher level, don't draft just to replace a perceived need.

That’s fair. I do think Ballard looks at it like that when he drafts. It all depends who is there where you draft. 

• Like 1

Goodness, its only been 5 games and it sounds like we're trying to decide now if he should or should not be our QB of the future.  I like what JB has done so far, I don't think there is any question that he's a little short on accumulating big plays so far, but we'll see what happens as he plays through a variety of defenses and situations.

• Like 2

Just now, DougDew said:

Goodness, its only been 5 games and it sounds like we're trying to decide now if he should or should not be our QB of the future.  I like what JB has done so far, I don't think there is any question that he's a little short on accumulating big plays so far, but we'll see what happens as he plays through a variety of defenses and situations.

To be clear I’m in no way advocating to move on from JB. I just don’t blindly think he’s 100% a franchise QB on the evidence... so far. There’s some very encouraging things, but also some areas of concern.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No.. last year we had Luck on the roster. As much as we need to move on, this sort of statement is asinine. 

• Like 2

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

Like who? 

You’re more evasive than a politician you know that. You post something, it gets refuted, you ignore it and move onto your next random statement. 

I have seen a lot of commentators mention it. I know it’s not always going to be true but it does make sense. It takes scouts to look beyond the numbers and truly evaluate a QB when they come from a big school like that. If your at a school with less talent and putting up big numbers it says a lot about a QB.  So in the end it really comes down to scouts and the GM to evaluate properly and not just get enamored with the numbers.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have seen a lot of commentators mention it. I know it’s not always going to be true but it does make sense. It takes scouts to look beyond the numbers and truly evaluate a QB when they come from a big school like that. If your at a school with less talent and putting up big numbers it says a lot about a QB.  So in the end it really comes down to scouts and the GM to evaluate properly and not just get enamored with the numbers.

No scout worth their salt looks at college numbers as the be all and end all. Absolute tosh to suggest avoiding talent from big schools.