Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moving on Is Jacoby a temporary fix? Are do we search for a new franchise QB for the future?

horseshoecrabs

No Brissett is definitely not the answer longterm. I do believe he will be serviceable this season, but his deficiencies will come to the surface the longer he plays. 

I fully believe Ballard needs to get his scout team together ASAP and start looking at both the 2020 and 2021 QB class. 2 QBs stick out to me. Jake Fromm from Georgia in the 2020 class, and Trevor Lawrence from Clemson in the 2021 class. I think Fromm could be had mid to late 1st round in 2020, but Lawrence will undoubtably go #1 overall in the 2021 draft.

This shocking decision by Luck does help in one way however. It provides Ballard with even more cap space, and I could see the 2020 offseason as a year he has gaudy numbers of cap space to play with. Good thing he is building this team as a well rounded balanced team, especially with this news. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

No Brissett is definitely not the answer longterm. I do believe he will be serviceable this season, but his deficiencies will come to the surface the longer he plays. 

I fully believe Ballard needs to get his scout team together ASAP and start looking at both the 2020 and 2021 QB class. 2 QBs stick out to me. Jake Fromm from Georgia in the 2020 class, and Trevor Lawrence from Clemson in the 2021 class. I think Fromm could be had mid to late 1st round in 2020, but Lawrence will undoubtably go #1 overall in the 2021 draft.

This shocking decision by Luck does help in one way however. It provides Ballard with even more cap space, and I could see the 2020 offseason as a year he has unworldly numbers of cap space to play with. Good thing he is building this team as a well rounded balanced team, especially with this news. 

Fromm is good, but short.  He's compared to Brees.

Which is fine.  I don't think Reich's offense requires a big strong physical presence at QB, so Fromm may be a good fit.

8 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Even if they don't tank, per se, they should still be in position to grab one of Herbert or Fromm. They aren't going to suck badly enough to get Tua, unless they trade up in all likelihood. 

I don't even want Tua. I really feel like he will bust. The talent around him makes him look better than he really is.

And I'm not sold on Herbert either. I do really like Fromm though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lennon1940 said:

Chad Kelly is your answer. He put up almost 800 yards passing in two games against Saban’s Alabama defense with average to below average talent around him at Ole Miss.

The only other QB who can make a claim to have over 700 yards against a Saban defense? Drew Brees at Purdue.

That would be a great answer

Much to prove

I have never watched Kelly in college

He is a pleasant surprise (in preseason), but we will find out soon enough

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This shocking decision by Luck does help in one way however. It provides Ballard with even more cap space, and I could see the 2020 offseason as a year he has gaudy numbers of cap space to play with. Good thing he is building this team as a well rounded balanced team, especially with this news. 

I never considered that.......

The CBA is coming up......  I bet we will be forced to spend more of the gap.....

Or get that superstar DT that this team needs

4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We have to be able to beat AFC South teams with this guy yes they beat the Texans both time in 2017 without Watson but got swept by titans and jags and jags destroyed us both times that year one of the games a pathetic 27-0 loss at home so he better prove he can beat the teams in this division first then the rest of the league.

I believe he can take that next step with this team and coaching staff that has been assembled. He wasn't very far from beating the Titans.  The Jags games were not even close, but I think he's grown some and so has the team since that point so we'll see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Do we trade or draft? If draft, I guess Tua and Justin are fine, but we all know the circus that is drafting a qb in today’s league. If we trade, who is young and talented enough to lead this team in any semblance of the way Luck did? I guess we’ll just get to wait another year before we chase the dreams of real playoff wins.

yay

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" - Steven Stills

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What about 2017 makes u think he's a permanent full time qb?!

brissett had no training camp came one week before week 1 and was forced to start with a bottom 5 o line defense and run game and bad wrs .   7 games came down to one score with this team and full offseason  we could go to playoffs .  people forget manning went 3-13 his rookie year with 26 picks  . 2017 was basically brissett rookie season and to have no training camp is hard

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Do what you gotta do to get Trevor Lawrence here.

I hope at least one of the two, or even both,are a pleasant surprise this season. If not, i'm sure Ballard and company will have some semblance of a plan, for next season. I'm concerned, but for me its not a ,"season is already over" scenario. I just truly love watching and rooting for the Colts. It is great when the qb situation is solid, but how long has it been, since it really was solid. We get less than twenty games a year, and I enjoy every one, win or lose. A lot of us have been fans through the 80's and 90's, we know how to deal with adversity, so here is a little advice. No matter what, enjoy the hope and excitement of every game. I honestly believe with Ballard at the helm, it will all work out,it has been a long time since i've had complete trust in our GM. I am excited for some Colt's football. 

I honestly think Kelly is the real deal if JB doesn't work out.  I think Reich and Sirianni could take him and develop him into something nice.  There would be some rough moments, but there's a lot to like about him.  I think the tools are there for sure.  The only question and it's a big question is maturity.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sevatar said:

This might sound a bit crazy, but I really do think Chad Kelly has SERIOUS potential. He's been lighting it up this pre seaoson too. I think he will be our stater by mid season.

He has everything to be a franchise QB, just needs the right culture around him. Go and watch all the tape you can on him. If he has a good 10 or so games this season, we could be very lucky given what's happened.

Nobody on the forum is even consodering him, but he's already better than Jacoby. He's taylor amde for this Reich offense.

There is a reason he was brought here. You don't bring a wild character in like Chad to twiddle his thumbs as a back up. I think they've been considering this for a while. 

There's a reason why they've been giving him so much playing time too. There is doom and gloom right now, but to be honest I think we have our QB right there.

I agree. I think Kelly has potential as well. At first, I was skeptical and hated the move to bring him in but he's kind of growing on me. I've seen the limited plays he was in and so far I've been impressed.  He can throw and run. The kid has potential but we'll see.  

Here’s my ideal situation. Jacoby proves to be a decent if unspectacular QB, pushing us to 7-8 wins. That leads to him getting a big contract next season, but not in Indy. Instead, we roll with another young QB, either Chad Kelly or Phillip Walker. They aren’t nearly as good as Brissett, and we finish with the worst record and the #1 pick in the 2021 draft, where we select the best QB talent since Andrew Luck, Trevor Lawrence. Thoughts?

48 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

brissett had no training camp came one week before week 1 and was forced to start with a bottom 5 o line defense and run game and bad wrs .   7 games came down to one score with this team and full offseason  we could go to playoffs .  people forget manning went 3-13 his rookie year with 26 picks  . 2017 was basically brissett rookie season and to have no training camp is hard

You're only giving me a bunch of reasons why he couldn't be a quality starting qb instead of one good reason why he could.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I believe he can take that next step with this team and coaching staff that has been assembled. He wasn't very far from beating the Titans.  The Jags games were not even close, but I think he's grown some and so has the team since that point so we'll see.

I hope or this will be another lost season.

17 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Here’s my ideal situation. Jacoby proves to be a decent if unspectacular QB, pushing us to 7-8 wins. That leads to him getting a big contract next season, but not in Indy. Instead, we roll with another young QB, either Chad Kelly or Phillip Walker. They aren’t nearly as good as Brissett, and we finish with the worst record and the #1 pick in the 2021 draft, where we select the best QB talent since Andrew Luck, Trevor Lawrence. Thoughts?

Chad Kelly may be just as good as Brissett if not better but if you want the number 1 pick the next year play Walker cause he blows.

• Like 2

This isn't a question that can be answered 12 hours after Luck's announcement and 2 weeks before the first game.

At this point, It's Jacoby Brissett's team.  He likely isn't the same QB we saw play 2 years ago.  He's had time to learn the offense a lot more and will hopefully be able to excel now.  If not, I'm guessing Kelly will get a shot by mid-season.

If Luck had retired in April...you likely would have seen a QB taken in Rd 2/3.  But for now, you roll with Brissett and / or Kelly and if the season goes south, you take a QB very very early next April.

• Like 2

IMO Chad Kelly is much more of an answer than Jacoby.

Ballard may look like a genius signing him.  I thought it was odd that we did sign him, but Ballard may have had an inkling of Luck retiring this off season and so he got Kelly jic.

As for Jacoby?  To me he just does not have the moxy and savvy to be a really good NFL qb.  Almost plays robotic to me with no touch or feel.

33 minutes ago, threeflight said:

IMO Chad Kelly is much more of an answer than Jacoby.

Ballard may look like a genius signing him.  I thought it was odd that we did sign him, but Ballard may have had an inkling of Luck retiring this off season and so he got Kelly jic.

As for Jacoby?  To me he just does not have the moxy and savvy to be a really good NFL qb.  Almost plays robotic to me with no touch or feel.

Chad Kelly has done exactly zero in the NFL.  He nearly went undrafted.  I don't get the hype for him at all

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I envision us going 7-9/8-8. It doesn't really put us in position to get one of the top QB's on the board. Jacoby is our best bet; at least for now. We have to hope that he continues to progress, and learns to get rid of the ball quicker. 

Unlike two years ago when he played Brissett is now in an offense that is all about getting rid of the ball quicker.  Right now with an improved team I am pretty optimistic about his chances.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is too early to tell but I would nor be shocked if the Colts sign a veteran street FA or someone of the waiver wire 

I think we have to sign another QB somewhere.  We need somebody on the practice squad the 1st. two weeks.  Kelly won't count and Brissett andWalker will be the QB's.  Then Kelly becomes the backup and Walker back to the practice squad most likely. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Chad Kelly has done exactly zero in the NFL.  He nearly went undrafted.  I don't get the hype for him at all

hes really talented, would have been drafted a lot higher if not for off the field stuff

hard to say what round he could have gone in, he was competitive with Deshan watson at Clemson and may have won that job if he didnt get in trouble 

1 minute ago, Luck 4 president said:

No but we can trade assets for draft capitol. Assets that will make it hard to win without. 

Thus creating more holes and putting the team with Lawrence or whoever, in the same or worse situation as Luck was in 2012 and beyond

• Thanks 1

I sincerely hope Ballard doesn't talk himself into Jacoby Brissett.  Get too tied into him because of what has happened.

IMO Chad Kelly has a much better chance of being an NFL qb.  Much.

But you still have to draft one.  Forget about free agents.  No one lets franchise qbs go.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Unlike two years ago when he played Brissett is now in an offense that is all about getting rid of the ball quicker.  Right now with an improved team I am pretty optimistic about his chances.  

Exactly. I honestly see Jacoby Brissett's ceiling/play style similar to that of Eli Manning. Manning won two Super Bowls without ever being a top 5-10 QB.  We can do this, but we just begun a new era of Colts football. 

Brissett is our guy.  He looked pretty good in 2017 when the rest of the team didn't.  Let not forget that he was not yet comfortable in that offense either.  He would have to bomb this whole season for me to want to grab an elite QB prospect in the draft.

Am I right in saying that, with Brissett in a contract year, if he plays well and leaves to go elsewhere on a big contract we would end up with a very strong compensatory pick (potentially 3rd rounder)?

We then look to the future with a draft pick and can potentially use the additional 2nd & 3rd round picks we have gained next year to move up?

One thing to remember.

We had a top 3 QB for 13 years, and won just one SB

Luck was a top 5 QB for 1/2 of his career here, and no SB

A better, complete team around a top 10-15 QB may be able to get improved results

We dont NEED the number 1 QB to win.

We WILL need to run the ball better

We WILL need to play better defense

We WILL need to NOT turn the ball over

We WILL need to have fewer penalties 

Hoping for a player like Lawrence is fantasy lottery

We are good enough, to NOT have a disaster season to get us in a position to draft

If we some how stick it up and only win 6 games, due to QB play, you draft Fromm, 

or.... another QB that lights it up this year

It will be an interesting year......

I like Briskett, but would like to see what Kelly can do as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I say ride the season with Brisset, give him a chance with an improved team. When he played the season two years ago, the team was still in "rebuild". BUT as OP stated, a good foundation was built in Indy in the last two years. the O-line is a lot better than it was when the last time Brisset was the starter for the season. If he doesn't pan out, cool. at least he was given a shot to prove himself. BUT if we are to draft a new franchise QB, I'd like to see the colts get Trevor Lawrence aka "Sunshine" from Clemson when ever he may enter the draft. Hoping this spring lol.