Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moving on Is Jacoby a temporary fix? Are do we search for a new franchise QB for the future?

horseshoecrabs

On 8/25/2019 at 3:40 AM, stitches said:

I think Brissett is good. I think he has some starter qualities. I don't think he's good enough though. I think he's the exact type of starter you are OK having but always looking to upgrade. 

This of course comes with the disclaimer that I am willing to give him this entire season to prove otherwise. We haven't really seen him in highly competitive situation in the last 18 months or so I realize he might have improved beyond what we saw last time he played regular season games. 

My biggest fear is that we get stuck in a situation of having a Mariota/Dak/Dalton type at QB who is good enough to give you glimpses of hope but over the long haul you are doomed to mediocre play at the position. And this is the position where you can least get away with mediocre play at. 

Spot on in my opnion.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:34 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

Yes it does Luck really kicked this team in the teeth.

Maybe this team kicked Luck in the teeth, the abdomen, the ribs, the kidney, the head and the shoulder?

I’m on the “let’s see what he does” mode with Jacoby. If he faulters and Kelly has a good game this week, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kelly step up. He looked pretty sharp Saturday.

48 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

One thing to remember.

We had a top 3 QB for 13 years, and won just one SB

Luck was a top 5 QB for 1/2 of his career here, and no SB

A better, complete team around a top 10-15 QB may be able to get improved results

We dont NEED the number 1 QB to win.

We WILL need to run the ball better

We WILL need to play better defense

We WILL need to NOT turn the ball over

We WILL need to have fewer penalties 

Hoping for a player like Lawrence is fantasy lottery

We are good enough, to NOT have a disaster season to get us in a position to draft

If we some how stick it up and only win 6 games, due to QB play, you draft Fromm, 

or.... another QB that lights it up this year

It will be an interesting year......

I like Briskett, but would like to see what Kelly can do as well

My sentiments exactly!  Brissett won 4 games on a very bad team.  This team is night and day from that team.  And I am also intrigued by Kelly.  He has shown he has the talent to play in this league.  We don't need the No. 1 QB to win.  A good one has gotten the job done may times before.  Before this season is over we might find out we have two very good QB's on our roster.  I can't wait for the season to start.  

For me to support JB as our QB of the future, he needs to show three things.

Decide quickly where the correct throw should be.

Throw it accurately. 

Show better pocket awareness.  He's not as athletic as Luck.  Several of his sacks have come from him not sliding in the pocket or speeding up his delivery when the defender is bearing down, as if he doesn't see the defender.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This team didn't make Luck go injure himself snowboarding 

If he did injure himself primarily in a snowboarding accident, was snowboarding a prohibitive activity, in his contract?

What about the poor offensive lines he had to play with?

Personally I don’t think Brissett is a franchise QB. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong, but even when he started for the Pats I felt like he was toward the back end of the middle of the pack QBs. 

But what do we do? What do we do? This isn’t as cut and dried as “Luck’s gone, we’ll move on”. Irsay isn’t cutting his ties to Luck. We’re keeping ourselves in position to bring him back if he decides to go that route before is contract is up. 

Now let’s say Brissett lights the world on fire this year. 30+TDs. 11+ wins. A playoff win. 

Then what? We don’t have the luxury of keeping him around on the cheap, and we’re gonna have to pony up and pay the man. There’s our first dilemma. What if we pay Brissett big money after the season and Luck comes along in mid-March and says “I’m in a better place mentally and physically, I’m ready to come back”?

Do we stick with Brissett for the long run, or do we take Luck back and chance the next injury putting us right back in this same spot? 

Or.

What if Brissett bombs? We win less than 5 games and earn a top 10 pick? Do we keep him around anyways in case Luck comes back? Or do we chance drafting a QB there? What if we draft a QB there and Luck comes back? Do we stick with our draft choice over the decades or do we go with Luck for a few more years and chance this happening all over again?

Obviously we could be holding his rights in case he comes back to trade him in the event that he does, but what are we going to get for him after being away and potentially just one more injury away from walking away again? 

We’re on the hook now, and we’re going to have to writhe there for a while. 

Just now, DougDew said:

For me to support JB as our QB of the future, he needs to show three things.

Decide quickly where the correct throw should be.

Throw it accurately. 

Show better pocket awareness.  He's not as athletic as Luck.  Several of his sacks have come from him not sliding in the pocket or speeding up his delivery when the defender is bearing down, as if he doesn't see the defender.

He needs to have a better touch on his throws as well.

• Like 1

Make no mistake about it, Jacoby Brissett is definitely a downgrade from Luck. Luck was a top 5 QB in the league. And in no world will Jacoby have the ceiling that Andrew did.

However that doesn’t mean he can’t be a franchise QB. We’ll have to see where Jacoby is at. Maybe he’s Andy Dalton. Maybe he’s Matt Ryan. Time will tell.

• Like 2

As Ballard has said, it's about the team, not just one player. If you build a great team, the qb doesn't have to be elite....just good. Is it easier when your qb is elite? Absolutely. But Brissett is not Trent Dilfer....if he can perform at a Nick Foles level and the D and running game steps up, then I think they'll be in good shape for the future. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

If he did injure himself primarily in a snowboarding accident, was snowboarding a prohibitive activity, in his contract?

What about the poor offensive lines he had to play with?

The dude was healthy as can be ending last season. Then boom we start hearing about some clad crap. I was like wait, how in the world do you injure your calf in the off season?!? How can you be that careless with your body especially after missing the entire season the year before?!?

35 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Make no mistake about it, Jacoby Brissett is definitely a downgrade from Luck. Luck was a top 5 QB in the league. And in no world will Jacoby have the ceiling that Andrew did.

However that doesn’t mean he can’t be a franchise QB. We’ll have to see where Jacoby is at. Maybe he’s Andy Dalton. Maybe he’s Matt Ryan. Time will tell.

David garrardish is what im thinking but im hoping for better

• Like 1

Here is the reality of the situation:

1. Andrew Luck is not coming back and you do not want him to. If he were to reverse his decision, the cloud of his retirement would forever loom until he finally did. I also don't think his heart would ever truly be in it again. 

2. Getting to a Super Bowl with Jacoby Brissett is not impossible, but it is very unlikely. Nick Foles has a ring. From further back, Trent Dilfer has one too. These are the exceptions, but far from the rule.

3. The Colts are at least three years from any hope of real success. The timing of Luck's decision set this back at least another year. If he had announced this in March, they could have drafted a replacement by possibly trading to move up. At best, they draft the future QB next year. He takes a year to develop. Then maybe there is hope again. 

4. As everyone has observed over the years, drafting a top-level QB outside of the first few picks is a total crap shoot. There are two ways to get there. One is to have a terrible record this year. The other is to give up some draft capital and hope to find a suitable trading partner. This further delays the development of other positions.

5. While we wait for the future QB to develop, there will be losses of the last of quality years to currently good to great players. The first that come to mind are T.Y. and Castonzo. I also love Frank Reich, but how long would he want to coach with no championship possibility?

6. The worst the Colts can do is to be mediocre. 8-8 or 9-6 gets you draft picks after top-rated QBs are gone and either no playoffs or a likely first round playoff exit. 

23 minutes ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

I think JB will be a serviceable if not above average replacement.  I also think that Frank Reich will get as much out of him as can be expected. My concern is the defense. It’s interesting that the loss of Luck will put more strain on the defense than the offense.

It will only if we get 2017 brissett who could barely sniff the end zone.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Maybe this team kicked Luck in the teeth, the abdomen, the ribs, the kidney, the head and the shoulder?

I’m on the “let’s see what he does” mode with Jacoby. If he faulters and Kelly has a good game this week, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kelly step up. He looked pretty sharp Saturday.

Possibly I feel for him though and after I thought about it I respect his decision and I hold no ill will to him I think he made the right decision if he couldn't be all in then he had to step aside that's the way it is.

Heres a crazy idea that could actually happen next year;

If the Colts fall apart this year and its due to QB play but the rest of the team is good (8-8, 7-9) AND the Lions miss the playoffs again the Colts should move hard on Stafford. 

The Lions and that city could be very close to moving on especially if they could get something for Stafford and start over with a new QB. Thats all assuming Patrica cant get that ship turned around this year after a 6-10 season last year. 

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW Florio just said on his show that he's hearing that the Colts are working on an extension for Brissett NOW.  

That has to be the worst idea I've ever heard - seriously. The Colts are holding all the cards.

If Brissett is amazing this year hes gonna get paid/extended. If hes terrible he wont. Why decide now when you dont know which it will be?

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW Florio just said on his show that he's hearing that the Colts are working on an extension for Brissett NOW.  

Holy wow. I think this is the first thing that has surprised me in all this aftermath.

They must be REALLY confident in him, which is good I guess.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:40 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

We have to be able to beat AFC South teams with this guy yes they beat the Texans both time in 2017 without Watson but got swept by titans and jags and jags destroyed us both times that year one of the games a pathetic 27-0 loss at home so he better prove he can beat the teams in this division first then the rest of the league.

Tough shoes to fill. Luck was-

7-4 vs. Texans

7-3 vs. Jaguars

11-0 vs. Titans 

for a 25-7 win/loss record

On 8/25/2019 at 7:43 AM, Lennon1940 said:

Chad Kelly is your answer. He put up almost 800 yards passing in two games against Saban’s Alabama defense with average to below average talent around him at Ole Miss.

The only other QB who can make a claim to have over 700 yards against a Saban defense? Drew Brees at Purdue.

Kelly has talent, but no NFL experience with the #1's and top flight DC's game planning against him.  I know Ballard once tried to get Nate Sudfeld (2017) off the Eagles practice squad (Eagles immediately promoted him to their 53 to thwart it), and Reich was his OC at the time.  I think Colts might already be talking to Philly.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/08/eagles-nate-sudfeld-trade-to-colts/

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't believe Colts have a QB (with experience and/or no Red Flags) under contract for next year.  The front office is not resting right now.  But what is JB's value now?  How does the season record affect it... lot's of Q's.

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

That has to be the worst idea I've ever heard - seriously. The Colts are holding all the cards.

If Brissett is amazing this year hes gonna get paid/extended. If hes terrible he wont. Why decided now when you dont know which it will be?

It does seem odd. Is there any reason to not wait? Is there any real risk of losing Jacoby at the end of the season?

41 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Oh...

I mean, I guess they could lock him up for 2-3 years before we have to start shelling out big contracts to young guys. But yeah...hopefully we don't give him some long 5 year contract with no out.

4 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

It does seem odd. Is there any reason to not wait? Is there any real risk of losing Jacoby at the end of the season?

I suppose the idea is pay him now in the top 20 range and hope he massively exceeds that deal? Which will lead to a new deal anyway. If Brissett finishes as the 3rd best QB in the league the next two years I dont care what the extension is the Colts will restructure that. If he finishes as the 32nd ranked QB two years in a row you overpaid for something that could be easily attained elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

Holy wow. I think this is the first thing that has surprised me in all this aftermath.

They must be REALLY confident in him, which is good I guess.

I guess they could be putting their money where their mouth is so to speak.  They have been talking him up for years.  This could be a signal to him that they have confidence in him and they want to show him that.  It is entirely possible that he has a great year and he now has the leverage.   It might be an insurance policy that could help them avoid the Franchise Tag should he ball out.  Just guessing.  

23 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

It's called hedging your bet.  Right now, we have the cap space to absorb it so why not? We extend him, he's locked in for however many years after this.  If we don't and he somehow turns into the next Mahomes or even the next Foles, you're looking a a TON of suitors, if not having to use the TAG, which gets REALLY expensive.  Worst case, he sucks, he gets cut and we have to absorb his cap hit. We have over 100 million again next year so there's little risk to doing this now and a TON of upside.

if we don't do this, we could end up with ZERO QBs under contract for 2020 going into the draft, making us desperate...

• Like 1