Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moving on Is Jacoby a temporary fix? Are do we search for a new franchise QB for the future?

horseshoecrabs

I believe that we will be OK for this year. Frank and his offensive coaches will devise key strategies that will help JB (Jacoby Brissett). Focus on the run and short passes across the middle.

Occasionally go over the top. This is a year the defense can keep us in the games. Teams are not sure who we are without Luck. (Just like last year)

Long shot: Ballard should check out Colin Kaepernick if he is a fit for this team. If there is one locker room that can fold him back into being a focused QB, it is the Colts.  He even looks like Nick Siriani!

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

It's called hedging your bet.  Right now, we have the cap space to absorb it so why not? We extend him, he's locked in for however many years after this.  If we don't and he somehow turns into the next Mahomes or even the next Foles, you're looking a a TON of suitors, if not having to use the TAG, which gets REALLY expensive.  Worst case, he sucks, he gets cut and we have to absorb his cap hit. We have over 100 million again next year so there's little risk to doing this now and a TON of upside. 

Why not? Because if he clearly shows himself to not be the answer, what do you do with him for those remaining years? He is NOT going to want to go back to being a backup and you'll have wasted whatever money you gave him. That would be a couple reasons to wait and see if he is the answer.

With Luck now out of the picture we are in need of another Franchise Quarterback. I like Jacoby I just don’t know if he is the long term answer. I think he is more so a great backup if anything, which is perfectly fine you need a capable backup. I’m curious as to who everyone sees as the potential future of this Franchise. I’m going to have to go with Trevor Lawrence from Clemson. I think that kid is going to be special. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It's called hedging your bet.  Right now, we have the cap space to absorb it so why not? We extend him, he's locked in for however many years after this.  If we don't and he somehow turns into the next Mahomes or even the next Foles, you're looking a a TON of suitors, if not having to use the TAG, which gets REALLY expensive.  Worst case, he sucks, he gets cut and we have to absorb his cap hit. We have over 100 million again next year so there's little risk to doing this now and a TON of upside.

if we don't do this, we could end up with ZERO QBs under contract for 2020 going into the draft, making us desperate...

Yeah, good point. There was a tweet about how agents are swarming to Brissett right now.

Seeing as how most good backups get about $10 mil per these days...and seeing guys like Glennon get $15 mil per...*if* we do extend him the number could surprise some people. It could easily be 15+ mil. per if not around 20.

If that's the case, hopefully there wouldn't be too many years on the contract.

23 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Chad Kelly has done exactly zero in the NFL.  He nearly went undrafted.  I don't get the hype for him at all

Umm, have you watched the preseason at all? He throws missiles, can run when he needs to, is slippery, fearless, and has amazing pocket awareness. He can literally make all the throws.

He nearly went undrafted because he ended his final season with a torn ACL and then screwed up his wrist and had to have surgery. He couldn’t compete in the combine or his pro day. Team’s weariness about his character also played a factor. But the main reason was nobody wanted to spend a high draft pick on a dude who, the last time anyone saw him on a field, tore his ACL and then had surgery on his wrist.

He has the third most offensive yards in a single season in SEC history. In his two games against Bama he lead the offense to 91 points. I understand that’s college, but the dude can ball.

• Like 2

Being realistic, I don’t think we were Super Bowl contenders this year anyway. Close, but not quite. With that said, let’s give the roster another year to mature and grow and see how far JB and/or CK can get us. If they don’t cut it, I think a guy like Fromm or Herbert may be realistic with a trade up, depending on how we do this year. No quarterback in this next draft is Luck-caliber, but with our roster we may not need that. I think Lawrence is very talented too, but we haven’t seen the kid much at all, give him a couple of years in college before declaring him the next NFL franchise qb. We don’t want a Ryan Leaf

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

Why not? Because if he clearly shows himself to not be the answer, what do you do with him for those remaining years? He is NOT going to want to go back to being a backup and you'll have wasted whatever money you gave him. That would be a couple reasons to wait and see if he is the answer.

you cut him, plain and simple. It'd be worse to not having ANY QBs under contract for next season when March comes around.

26 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Umm, have you watched the preseason at all? He throws missiles, can run when he needs to, is slippery, fearless, and has amazing pocket awareness. He can literally make all the throws.

He nearly went undrafted because he ended his final season with a torn ACL and then screwed up his wrist and had to have surgery. He couldn’t compete in the combine or his pro day. Team’s weariness about his character also played a factor. But the main reason was nobody wanted to spend a high draft pick on a dude who, the last time anyone saw him on a field, tore his ACL and then had surgery on his wrist.

He has the third most offensive yards in a single season in SEC history. In his two games against Bama he lead the offense to 91 points. I understand that’s college, but the dude can ball.

I've seen a lot of preseason hero's flame out under the lights.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

I believe that we will be OK for this year. Frank and his offensive coaches will devise key strategies that will help JB (Jacoby Brissett). Focus on the run and short passes across the middle.

Occasionally go over the top. This is a year the defense can keep us in the games. Teams are not sure who we are without Luck. (Just like last year)

Long shot: Ballard should check out Colin Kaepernick if he is a fit for this team. If there is one locker room that can fold him back into being a focused QB, it is the Colts.  He even looks like Nick Siriani!

Kaepernick, kneeling and drama aside, does not fit Reich's offense at all.  He's not a pocket passer, he's not been all that good with check downs, pressures etc.  Kaepernick is unemployed for a reason, not any of which really has to do with his kneeling, as much as the media wants to make it about it, fact is, Colin Kaepernick is a bottom feeder as a QB. He had 1, maybe 2 good seasons and that's it.

11 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Being realistic, I don’t think we were Super Bowl contenders this year anyway. Close, but not quite. With that said, let’s give the roster another year to mature and grow and see how far JB and/or CK can get us. If they don’t cut it, I think a guy like Fromm or Herbert may be realistic with a trade up, depending on how we do this year. No quarterback in this next draft is Luck-caliber, but with our roster we may not need that. I think Lawrence is very talented too, but we haven’t seen the kid much at all, give him a couple of years in college before declaring him the next NFL franchise qb. We don’t want a Ryan Leaf

I agree. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

He can’t declare for the draft until after his Junior season , that will mean he will have 3 years under his belt at the collegiate level in a pro system. I like what I see so from him and he’s only going to get better. Good QBs are a dime a dozen, I think the roster currently is pretty balanced where you don’t have to rely heavily on one person ie an Andrew Luck. But it’s always great to have that kind of Perennial guy you can count on day in and out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Good QBs are a dime a dozen, I think the roster currently is pretty balanced where you don’t have to rely heavily on one person ie an Andrew Luck. But it’s always great to have that kind of Perennial guy you can count on day in and out.

Great points........  

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I've seen a lot of preseason hero's flame out under the lights.   

We all have. However, he appears to have an intangible that other QB’s don’t have. He has won big at every stage of his football career, in high school, JUCO (national title), and at Ole Miss (beat the living hell out of Bama in Tuscaloosa, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Texas A&M, etc). 

We all know the huge gulf in college and NFL, but this is a guy who went into multiple 100,000 seat stadiums and whipped butt. I don’t think he’s the type to get rattled. 

I would really love to see him with the 1’s this weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I guess they could be putting their money where their mouth is so to speak.  They have been talking him up for years.  This could be a signal to him that they have confidence in him and they want to show him that.  It is entirely possible that he has a great year and he now has the leverage.   It might be an insurance policy that could help them avoid the Franchise Tag should he ball out.  Just guessing.  

It's good that they are tying things up with Brissett immediately.  That keeps them from getting railroaded in any trade negotiations if they are looking for anybody else to bring in. 

I think Jacoby can led this team, but he can't carry it imo. Kelly has a lot of Mayfield in him imo, but not sure hes the answer either. What I would like is Taysom Hill if we could somehow get him from the saints. That kid has a cannon and is elusive too

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think Jacoby can led this team, but he can't carry it imo. Kelly has a lot of Mayfield in him imo, but not sure hes the answer either. What I would like is Taysom Hill if we could somehow get him from the saints. That kid has a cannon and is elusive too

You mean Maziel?

was ballard on staff when they drafted Mahomes? Ballard made the move to bring in Brissett for Dorrsett. He's also made the move to bring in Chad Kelly. I think we evelauate see and let the QBs on the roster play things out for this season before looking at the QB position to be upgraded day one or day two. One thing that sticks out when Ballard came in was he wanted to build a team and not just focus having Luck or not having him. Build this roster out to no be a QB dependant roster. While you'd love to have genrational talent there i feel like there are a number of guys out there who would do well in Frank's system who have the arm talent. People wrote Foles off as a bust. We should really give Brissett a chance to see what he's got. I'd hopeful and very excitied to see how he plays. You can just see how much the team loves him on the sidelines and see how the defensive guys liked him in there endzone photo-ops last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think we are screwed.   Brissett will do good enough for the team not to want to let him go.   They will over pay him (Dak) and we will be above average but not great for the next 5 years.

The way it is currently looking I’m inclined to agree with you. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think someone brought this up in another thread........

You dont HAVE to have THE TOP QB to win a SB

Give me a top 10 QB, AND a solid team around them....... 

Not a Superstar QB that we cant afford to play (pay) defense........ 

I agree with you , you don’t have to but it certainly helps. Just look at Tom Brady and the Patriots.

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think we are screwed.   Brissett will do good enough for the team not to want to let him go.   They will over pay him (Dak) and we will be above average but not great for the next 5 years.

Ballard's smarter than to pay Brissett like a top paid QB haha.

Brissett wouldn't even get Foles money. He'd probably get around $15-$20 million per year

9 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

You don’t think that Mariotta is a good Quarterback? Why not? 

I think of good as being the top 1/3 of QB's in the league.   Mariota has a losing record and a career 89 rating.  He's in jeopardy of losing his job to Tannehill.  

I guess good is subjective.   Mariotta would easily be the best QB in the whole county I live in.  

2 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Ballard's smarter than to pay Brissett like a top paid QB haha.

Brissett wouldn't even get Foles money. He'd probably get around $15-$20 million per year

So you are saying he would let Dak walk if he was the GM of the Cowboys?   Even if there isn't much out there.   The Colts won't have a great draft pick (probably 18-25).

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

With Luck now out of the picture we are in need of another Franchise Quarterback. I like Jacoby I just don’t know if he is the long term answer. I think he is more so a great backup if anything, which is perfectly fine you need a capable backup. I’m curious as to who everyone sees as the potential future of this Franchise. I’m going to have to go with Trevor Lawrence from Clemson. I think that kid is going to be special. 

So we need another franchise QB?
 But you just don't know if Jacoby is the long term answer?
  Oh, i bet you were fun to try to raise.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

So you are saying he would let Dak walk if he was the GM of the Cowboys?   Even if there isn't much out there.   The Colts won't have a great draft pick (probably 18-25).

So in that pick range, you predict Jacoby to win 9-10 games. Excellent!

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would pay Dak a maximum of $34 million, and that's way more generous than most people, and even more generous than I think would be smart. Any more than that is ludicrous

He wouldn't have to let him walk, he'd just have to let him hold out or play another season on his current contract

The best we can hope for is that Brisett becomes a great game manager. He has the tools around him to be good but its a wait and see prospect. I hope we dont become one of those teams that needs a new QB every three years that is so depressing for fans. We have been blessed with Manning and 5+ years of Luck, This is where Ballard earns his paycheck

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

Why would you think that?

Mariotta is a starter.   Is he good?   i guess it depends on the definition of good.  

I was thinking what he thought about Luck retiring after injuries I bet he has thought about retiring. 

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

I hope that does not happen

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

I would pay Dak a maximum of $34 million, and that's way more generous than most people, and even more generous than I think would be smart. Any more than that is ludicrous

He wouldn't have to let him walk, he'd just have to let him hold out or play another season on his current contract

That is the ultimate problem.   Dak is a decent QB and better QB's usually are not available.   So you sign and pay a decent QB to run the team for the next so many years.   Brissett could be the same thing.   Detroit did it with Stafford although I think he is better than Dak.   My fear is that we pay Brissett allot of the cap space.  

However, there is hope that he really ends up being a top 5 QB in the league.