Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moving on Is Jacoby a temporary fix? Are do we search for a new franchise QB for the future?

horseshoecrabs

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is the ultimate problem.   Dak is a decent QB and better QB's usually are not available.   So you sign and pay a decent QB to run the team for the next so many years.   Brissett could be the same thing.   Detroit did it with Stafford although I think he is better than Dak.   My fear is that we pay Brissett allot of the cap space.  

However, there is hope that he really ends up being a top 5 QB in the league.    

That's kind of one of my fears if they get stuck in a cycle of mediocrity for the long term but that won't really sell tickets and float in Indiana.  I think Irsay and Ballard hopefully won't let this happen.  

• Like 1

So called "Franchise QBs" are not easy to come by.  Many teams have floundered for years trying to find one.  Honestly, I think we need to be in a "if life gives you lemons..." mode - now is the time to do everything to develop a truly solid running game, an even better defense and future-proof special teams.  We will no longer be carrying the financial burden of paying elite QB money, so we should take advantage of that while we can.

I hate the idea of wasting in-their-prime talent waiting to roll the dice on a -potential- draft pick QB.

21 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

I would pay Dak a maximum of $34 million, and that's way more generous than most people, and even more generous than I think would be smart. Any more than that is ludicrous

He wouldn't have to let him walk, he'd just have to let him hold out or play another season on his current contract

The problem with this isn't Dak, it was Philly paying Wentz what they did. Dak has been healthy, and productive, and I don't blame him for using Wentz as "the measuring stick" for getting paid. Sure, it puts Dallas in a rough spot paying Dak that much but that's where teams are now with paying franchise QB's, and one's that aren't top-5. I think Irsay was right when he said Luck was probably walking away from ~500M by retiring. 

21 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

The problem with this isn't Dak, it was Philly paying Wentz what they did. Dak has been healthy, and productive, and I don't blame him for using Wentz as "the measuring stick" for getting paid. Sure, it puts Dallas in a rough spot paying Dak that much but that's where teams are now with paying franchise QB's, and one's that aren't top-5. I think Irsay was right when he said Luck was probably walking away from ~500M by retiring. 

Well, I think Wentz is way better than Dak. Dak has been healthy, but has not reached the heights Wentz has. The thing is once Philly paid Wentz that much, The Cowboys kinda have to pay Dak a little more

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I believe that we will be OK for this year. Frank and his offensive coaches will devise key strategies that will help JB (Jacoby Brissett). Focus on the run and short passes across the middle.

Occasionally go over the top. This is a year the defense can keep us in the games. Teams are not sure who we are without Luck. (Just like last year)

Long shot: Ballard should check out Colin Kaepernick if he is a fit for this team. If there is one locker room that can fold him back into being a focused QB, it is the Colts.  He even looks like Nick Siriani!

I was with you.... until the last paragraph

Collin Kaepernick is on the sideline because he was a HORRIBLE QB, that defensive coordinators figured out quickly

He had MAJOR flaws in his game

Would he be our dedicated kneeler?  

15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I was with you.... until the last paragraph

Collin Kaepernick is on the sideline because he was a HORRIBLE QB, that defensive coordinators figured out quickly

He had MAJOR flaws in his game

Would he be our dedicated kneeler?  

I remember an interview Andrew had and someone asked him was there any QB's he liked coming out in the 11 draft and he said Colin. I don't think Colin is the horrible QB you claim he is. I also think the pop shot you took at him about kneeling was in poor taste. I won't go into the reasons why but we can do better than responses like that.

I wouldn't have a problem brining him in he's got an arm he's very athletic Ballard should leave no stone unturned to improve the roster. But given all press it would get an heart-attacks it might cause i doubt it would happen. But i'd love for Colin to get an oppurtinity to show what he still has or doesnt it's a proving ground afterall 

17 minutes ago, waka waka said:

I remember an interview Andrew had and someone asked him was there any QB's he liked coming out in the 11 draft and he said Colin. I don't think Colin is the horrible QB you claim he is. I also think the pop shot you took at him about kneeling was in poor taste. I won't go into the reasons why but we can do better than responses like that.

LOL......  you are either Kapernuck or his mother

Facts are your friend 

He was benched BEFORE the kneeling.......  not after

A QB that is not good enough to start is NOT going to be better than what we have.......

Maybe you know more than ALL of offensive coordinators....

Hard pass

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

LOL......  you are either Kapernuck or his mother

Facts are your friend 

He was benched BEFORE the kneeling.......  not after

A QB that is not good enough to start is NOT going to be better than what we have.......

Maybe you know more than ALL of offensive coordinators....

Hard pass

he's not the worst QB in football i'd take Colin over Bortles any day of the week. I'd take him over a number of back up Qb's some teams carry 3. Just going to throw this out there are 32 teams in the NFL if each team carried 3 QB's you are saying that Colin is not better than 96 other Qb's? even one better if each team carried two Qb's you are saying there are 64 better QB's in the NFL than Colin? i don't agree with you. But that's ok we don't have to agree with one another.

What i'snt cool is taking shots at me but i understand people hate and fear what they don't understand. Thanks for you insight MikeCurtis.

28 minutes ago, waka waka said:

I wouldn't have a problem brining him in he's got an arm he's very athletic Ballard should leave no stone unturned to improve the roster. But given all press it would get an heart-attacks it might cause i doubt it would happen. But i'd love for Colin to get an oppurtinity to show what he still has or doesnt it's a proving ground afterall 

I'm sure the XFL will give him a shot

2 hours ago, waka waka said:

Ballard made the move to bring in Brissett for Dorrsett. He's also made the move to bring in Chad Kelly.

He also tried to sign Nate Sudfeld off the Eagles practice squad in 2017.

3 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

I understand that’s college, but the dude can ball.

Many players that can ball in college can't hack it as a pro.

We will find out about Jacoby in the first five games. This will be a test of only a NFL quality starter can pass. This team is ready to roll. The only question is the starting QB.

If the Colts are in the QB search come the upcoming draft. I think with Chris Ballard and Frank. They will pinpoint the next great QB, someone they can easily develop and I do not think they will have to pick in the top five to do it 

With this whole Luck situation I keep going back to what Chris Ballard had to say about Josh McDaniels going back to New England. Are you in or are you out? I maybe wrong but I speculate that he may have said that to Andrew. (remember the Aug 26 deadline before last Saturday Adam bomb) I don’t think that CB is the type of GM that will beg anyone to play here that doesn’t want to be here. 

I think they will draft someone who wants to be here. That will make the fan base forget about number 12. There is nobody in this fan base missing Josh McDaniels

20 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

With Luck now out of the picture we are in need of another Franchise Quarterback. I like Jacoby I just don’t know if he is the long term answer. I think he is more so a great backup if anything, which is perfectly fine you need a capable backup. I’m curious as to who everyone sees as the potential future of this Franchise. I’m going to have to go with Trevor Lawrence from Clemson. I think that kid is going to be special. 

I will definitely be watching Clemson more closely this season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

He can’t declare for the draft until after his Junior season , that will mean he will have 3 years under his belt at the collegiate level in a pro system. I like what I see so from him and he’s only going to get better. Good QBs are a dime a dozen, I think the roster currently is pretty balanced where you don’t have to rely heavily on one person ie an Andrew Luck. But it’s always great to have that kind of Perennial guy you can count on day in and out.

I agree, just asking for a little bit of caution at the moment. Some people on here would draft him right now lol. My biggest worry is a misfire and then we end up with a Manziel or Tebow. I don't think that would happen with Ballard, but a cautious approach regarding any new quarterback is always a good thing. I like the kid, but I'm going to wait for him to play at least a college season before I'm sold, personally. That's all I'm saying

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

Umm, have you watched the preseason at all? He throws missiles, can run when he needs to, is slippery, fearless, and has amazing pocket awareness. He can literally make all the throws.

He nearly went undrafted because he ended his final season with a torn ACL and then screwed up his wrist and had to have surgery. He couldn’t compete in the combine or his pro day. Team’s weariness about his character also played a factor. But the main reason was nobody wanted to spend a high draft pick on a dude who, the last time anyone saw him on a field, tore his ACL and then had surgery on his wrist.

He has the third most offensive yards in a single season in SEC history. In his two games against Bama he lead the offense to 91 points. I understand that’s college, but the dude can ball.

That's preseason.

And that's college.

After seeing this whole Andrew Luck episode play out and the dust is starting to clear. What do Colts Nation want in the next QB?

I would like to see a player that is Technically sound, intelligent, hungry for success, and can make the 4 or 5 plays to win the game.

Ok, as far as Andrew's retirement, I say good for him....he knows his body...he knows what's good for his body....and like he said, he's not having fun....Now let be real moving forward with  Jacoby Brisset, this is where Chris Ballard is really going to earning his money...and now he has to dip into his bag of tricks and find a quarterback....Brisset is not going to do it...he is not an elite quarterback... and you are asking him to compete with the top league quarterbacks of the NFL...that not going to happen....the best thing that would happen to Jacoby is if he trips coming out of the tunnel and brakes his ankle in 15 places... one thing is for sure we are going to need a quarterback....or this is going to be another rebuilding year.... Now I do like what I've seen out of Kelly....I would start Kelly over Brisset anyday...

1 hour ago, MAv said:

....the best thing that would happen to Jacoby is if he trips coming out of the tunnel and brakes his ankle in 15 places... 

What a ridiculous thing to say. WTH is wrong with you?

I’m not sold on Brissett yet either, but am really hoping he’s the guy. I’m definitely intrigued by what I’ve seen from Kelley, so if Brissett doesn’t get it done, next man up!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

We all have. However, he appears to have an intangible that other QB’s don’t have. He has won big at every stage of his football career, in high school, JUCO (national title), and at Ole Miss (beat the living hell out of Bama in Tuscaloosa, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Texas A&M, etc). 

We all know the huge gulf in college and NFL, but this is a guy who went into multiple 100,000 seat stadiums and whipped butt. I don’t think he’s the type to get rattled. 

I would really love to see him with the 1’s this weekend.

And having a better QB rating his first year than Baker Mayfield, Patrick Mahones, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Jared Goff.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:16 AM, Patrick Miller said:

Brissett is def not the answer. He's good enough to make us mediocre though so we get a crappy draft pick.

Brissett  is the answer. He's  the next Aaron Rodgers. He doesn't  throw many ints. Can extend plays in the pocket  while throwing on the run. Great pocket awareness.  Was rated the number 4 qb on deep ball passer rating  in 2017 with a bad oline, terrible wrs, while learning  the offense  on a fly. The oline is better now. The defense  is better  now. The wrs are better now. Now is the time when Brissett  will rise and destroy expectations. 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Since he’s not eligible to be in the draft next year I can say for a fact the Colts won’t draft him next year.

I think Brissett  shows out. I watched the tape of him picking apart the texans with a bad oline.

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Brissett  is the answer. He's  the next Aaron Rodgers. He doesn't  throw many ints. Can extend plays in the pocket  while throwing on the run. Great pocket awareness.  Was rated the number 4 qb on deep ball passer rating  in 2017 with a bad oline, terrible wrs, while learning  the offense  on a fly. The oline is better now. The defense  is better  now. The wrs are better now. Now is the time when Brissett  will rise and destroy expectations. 

He's got a much better supporting cast this year. But it's a little dishonest to act like he was good in 2017. He had the 27th ranked QBR. And while he only threw 7 INTs, he only threw 13 TDs.

He knows the offense now, has a better OL, and has much better WR and RBs. He should do better, but comparing him to Rodgers is a bit much at this stage.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:52 AM, krunk said:

It's hard for me to say.  I will know more after this season.

Brissett did look pretty good against the Browns.  I definitely

did see improvement with him against the blitz and finding

his hot read.  He was poised and kept his head upfield, while

checking down to the right receiver.  If he has improved the way

it looked like I think we can make a nice fight of this.

My brother...I like that

Colts Fight 2019

• Like 1

Look, there are reasons why Jacoby Brissett is poised to lead the Indy Colts into the 2019 season, and Chad Kelly is not. Those reasons likely include, but are not limited to:

Chad is suspended

Jacoby knows the offense better

He has worked far more with the team and especially the #1's

He has battle hardened on the big stage

He has been the character guy the Colts have asked him to be

What the future holds, and be patient because a handful of games does not determine a QB's future, will play out on the fans watch. History is riddled with bad choices on QB's that range from giving the guy with all the "crazy skills" the reigns too soon, to giving up on guys too soon. Short of a melt down for a half of a season, I expect to see Jacoby under center, doing everything he can to become the guy, Any other path would dampen my view of this staff. Could we sign a vet that is out there? Possible. But it would have to be the perfect scenario. I highly doubt that Ballard is going to suddenly undermine the work Jacoby has done. This is his time, and he's earned it. A good back up QB has to believe everyday, that he is going to have to step up that very day. 

Let's all hope that Mr. Brissett has had that constant mindset. 

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

I won't  as we probably  won't  be drafting  the Clemson  qb

I guess it’s a great thing I said that I as IN MYSELF will be paying a closer attention to him and the Tigers. Just an FYI he isn’t even eligible to declare for 2 years so unless you can predict the future I’d hold my comments. 

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

what the hell?? the next Aaron Rodgers are you freaking kidding me?!?! this place is becoming something else hahahaha

13 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I guess it’s a great thing I said that I as IN MYSELF will be paying a closer attention to him and the Tigers. Just an FYI he isn’t even eligible to declare for 2 years so unless you can predict the future I’d hold my comments. 

I know.  I just believe  Brissett  will get the job done. If he doesn't then we will probably  be drafting  high next year in a year that the Clemson QB isn't  available, which means we'd have to pick a qb out of next years draft or stink again and hope to get him.

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

what the hell?? the next Aaron Rodgers are you freaking kidding me?!?! this place is becoming something else hahahaha

He can extend  the play like rodgers, throw on the run, run for first downs. Improved pocket awareness. A strong arm. Doesn't  throw many ints. He has all the intangibles  to be great.