Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Injury (Merge)

csmopar

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

At this point I won't be surprised if we don't see him until the 3rd PS game, if that.

It'll be interesting to see if he's back at practice by the time the joint practice with the Browns rolls around.

At this point, I fully expect him to miss every preseason game & only practice sporadically leading up to the season opener, a la Peyton Manning in '08 with the whole bursa sac saga. This thing isn't going to heal in 3 days, let's be realistic. I'm just concerned that in similar fashion to Manning, our offensive chemistry will take a few games to come together, & a couple of headscratcher losses in otherwise winnable games will be the result.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

At this point, I fully expect him to miss every preseason game & only practice sporadically leading up to the season opener, a la Peyton Manning in '08 with the whole bursa sac saga. This thing isn't going to heal in 3 days, let's be realistic. I'm just concerned that in similar fashion to Manning, our offensive chemistry will take a few games to come together, & a couple of headscratcher losses in otherwise winnable games will be the result.

Oh, definitely. Since I wrote that post, looking at everything that's been said a little more closely, my opinions shifted fully to thinking we won't see him in any PS games.

And I completely agree on the second bolded part too. There's no way he's gonna be 100% healed up and pain free after just a few days of rest/rehab. Gotta think it'll be at least weeks.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This should be cause for concern. But here's why I am not much, if at all. This roster is good. Still young. But good. Much different situation than what Brissett was thrown a) behind, and b) surrounded by a few years back... I'm completely comfortable thinking JB can win IF Andrew were to miss a few weeks to start the season. We can win enough to be in the thick of things or even at the top of the division IF that were to happen. 

The key thing here is that our leadership is not going to rush him and he will be 100% or damn close to it when he hits that field the first time. Perhaps that's the Home opener in week 3, and we are 1-1 or 2-0. Is that cause for concern? Not for me... 

I think Brisset can do a good job.   Whether he can win those games in up in the air.   He is a step down from Luck no question.  1st three games are against the Chargers, Titans and Falcons.  I wouldn't bet on the Colts going 2-0 in the first 2 games with Brissett.   Maybe 0-2.  Maybe 1-1.    

At this point I hope Luck is ready to go to start the season.   But if it has been 3 months, what is actual game play going to do.   I hope it is not a season long lingering issue.   

It certainly SHOULD be "cause for concern".

But let's hope for the best.   Go Colts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

There's a lot of training camp left and if we know anything Luck is an extreme competitor. I don't really care if he misses the first preseason game as long as he gets a his calf healthy. 

And if he misses the entire preseason?  A slow start this year will be a lot more costly then last year.  The schedule is much tougher....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CamMo said:

At least they are being smart about it. Sit him for all of pre-season as long as it heals. Mildly surprising it’s not healed yet. I read somewhere between 6 weeks-3 months for a high level calf strain. 

been 3 months now

• Like 1

I mean, i only need one leg to stand.

So....: put him in shotgun and let him throw the darn ball.

Or, is this a conspiracy to get Brissett playing time, increase his value, then we trade him to "fill in the blank" for a stud defensive player.  (J/k)

It is a bummer, but its a calf.  Im not gonna get worked up over it unless it bleeds into the season.

One thing i have wondered about it Lucks workout routine.  He seems a little "tighter" and bulked up versus other QBs.  Guys who hit the weights " harder" and do less of the stretching type workouts seem to have these pulls and strains all the time.  Is Andrew doing the wrong type of workouts?  I have golfing buddies with similar body types (from working out), and their range of motion, fluidity, etc is VERY affected by that extra bulk and "tighter" muscles, tendons, etc.  Look k around the league, most QBs (especially top ones) are built more like punters and kickers than Luck.  Its just something i've wonddted for a few years now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's reassuring & good to know, but still worrisome that there ever were doctor appointments & scans in the first place.

Anytime a NFL player gets dinged up, there will be scans and doctor visits.  Especially if that player is a QB....  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Although I fully expect Luck to be ready to go week one vs LA, I think we see one of the reasons JB is still here and wasn't traded for a mid or low round pick (assuming one was offered).

We will probably invest in a qb through the draft at some point in the near future. We might be ok with an expensive backup in the upcoming years, but we will have to have a mid round qb to develop and be an inexpensive backup in the future with the contracts that are going to be flying off the shelf, Luck's included. 

Do you think we have a sufficient medical staff to address the injuries during training camp. Since there are 100% more players, do they up their staff. I ask this because Andrew Luck expressed his disatisfaction with the progress of his calf strain. From all the medical literature and video what is predominantly needed is TLC by the medical staff.  Maybe they are spread out to thin so Luck is not getting the focused attention that he should get.  

7 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Do you think we have a sufficient medical staff to address the injuries during training camp. Since there are 100% more players, do they up their staff. I ask this because Andrew Luck expressed his disatisfaction with the progress of his calf strain. From all the medical literature and video what is predominantly needed is TLC by the medical staff.  Maybe they are spread out to thin so Luck is not getting the focused attention that he should get.  

Seriously...

you think that the franchise QB is not getting the total attention of the medical/training staff?

LOL.

• Thanks 1

There is no misinformation IMO. He strained his calf, they told us. When he was held out of practice, they told us why. He felt pain in practice, and he is sitting out to get it right. 

#1 - No lying going on, so creating rhetoric without proof is pure fan speculation/drama. 

#2 - I have no doubt that Luck has been instructed to tell them of ANY pain regarding the strain.

#3 - Luck has many years of good football ahead in his career.

#4 - No amount of gossiping, worrying, fretting, complaining, whining, or anger will change one iota of this season's fortunes. My suggestion is to relax, and enjoy Colts football! Any negativity, depression, or frustration that develops in you because of Luck's condition, will be totally brought on yourself. Enjoy this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

There is no misinformation IMO. He strained his calf, they told us. When he was held out of practice, they told us why. He felt pain in practice, and he is sitting out to get it right. 

#1 - No lying going on, so creating rhetoric without proof is pure fan speculation/drama. 

#2 - I have no doubt that Luck has been instructed to tell them of ANY pain regarding the strain.

#4 - No amount of gossiping, worrying, fretting, complaining, whining, or anger will change one iota of this season's fortunes. My suggestion is to relax, and enjoy Colts football! Any negativity, depression, or frustration that develops in you because of Luck's condition, will be totally brought on yourself. Enjoy this!

No one Is doing any of that. 

55 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

X-rays would've revealed that though, right?

Could have been an incidental finding on the x-rays that they didn't think was an issue at the time.  They mentioned surgery was discussed but I can't imagine what surgery would be discussed for a strained calf unless it was completely torn and he wouldn't be walking at that point.  A bone spur could cause the pain he's describing.  

19 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

#4 - No amount of gossiping, worrying, fretting, complaining, whining, or anger will change one iota 

of this season's fortunes. My suggestion is to relax, and enjoy Colts football! Any negativity, 

depression, or frustration that develops in you because of Luck's condition, will be totally 

brought on yourself. Enjoy this!

Great post. I CONCUR. As I posted earlier, I was hoping he wouldn't play at all until the 3rd pre-season game just to stay cautious and also he doesn't need to play until then IMO. He is a vet and experienced. He just needs to get 100% healthy and be ready for opening day. 

If he is a no go in the 3rd pre-season game, then I will even be a little concerned but still not real concerned. I would love to see Luck get some reps with the starters in that 3rd pre-season game where the starters play.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a really good interview with Stephen Holder. You really can’t say this isn’t a set back for the team because it is. Some great perspective on the entire situation.

Trade luck for mayfield  lol

I'm getting really tired of hearing about Andrew's injuries. I wonder if the man takes care of himself in the off-season. Do we know if the original calf injury was football-related or non-football related?

The team needs to think about drafting and grooming a legit young QB to take over when Andrew is injured again (which will probably happen many time in the next 8-10 years).

4 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

I'm getting really tired of hearing about Andrew's injuries. I wonder if the man takes care of himself in the off-season. Do we know if the original calf injury was football-related or non-football related?

The team needs to think about drafting and grooming a legit young QB to take over when Andrew is injured again (which will probably happen many time in the next 8-10 years).

I believe he said he injured it in a workout. Luck is ripped. Don’t think the taking care of himself is a issue. Maybe he is too ripped and making his muscles to tight.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

God do I hate Bowen’s voice.  His writing isn’t so bad but his voice is so whiny.   Chalk on a nails board.  Yes.   (Like a chalk outline of my dead body that’s been nailed to a board)

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nobody is being lied to.   Two posters made that claim.   There was a NEW development on Sunday.

Fans are not entitled to all the news and information.    We’re entitled to whatever the team wants to tell us — period.   

This news is not good.  Why anyone is posting that they’re not worried or that they don’t think there’s reason for anyone to worry is a complete mystery. 

Luck hasn’t healed in three months.  The season starts in 5 weeks.   There’s your reason for worry.......

Totally agree! The best post on this topic yet. I am worried hopefully he can get the treatment he needs to get back sooner than later but I don’t like how this feels at all. He needs to get another MRI and find out what the prognosis is for the rest of camp so they can make a clear decision on what to do. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Totally agree! The best post on this topic yet. I am worried hopefully he can get the treatment he needs to get back sooner than later but I don’t like how this feels at all. He needs to get another MRI and find out what the prognosis is for the rest of camp so they can make a clear decision on what to do. 

Yeah, and if he needs the surgery, then DO IT and start the rehab.

4 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Oh, definitely. Since I wrote that post, looking at everything that's been said a little more closely, my opinions shifted fully to thinking we won't see him in any PS games.

And I completely agree on the second bolded part too. There's no way he's gonna be 100% healed up and pain free after just a few days of rest/rehab. Gotta think it'll be at least weeks.

Months!

As a lifelong Cub fan I am a pessimist when it comes to sports.  

I wasn't sure he'd play last year and he was awesome.

I told my brother the calf strain was Garnett scary as soon as it was reported.  I am hoping the same thing will happen with my pessimism this year.