Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Injury (Merge)

csmopar

Guys on ESPN just said about Andrew Luck and this current injury situation  >>>>"What is the hurry …..Hey it is July 30th …..Hey shut him down until August 30th …..What's the rush ? "  <<<<<<<<< Their words not mine . All the guys on the show agreed with this point of view .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheMose said:

This forum gives me high blood pressure. You know how many experienced elite QBs sit out during camp and preseason from minor injuries that would never prevent them from playing a real game? Its something to monitor, but nothing to panic about. Watch his media brief and tell me thats a worried Andrew Luck.

He sounded the same after the shoulder surgery saying oh ya ill be ready week one this is getting worst by the minute.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know how many listened to lucks press conference. He did say he is throwing the ball to his receivers during walk thru’s.

Throwing to receivers in walk through’s is practically worthless.   You need practice speed which is several levels higher.   Luck’s situation is not good.    Not at all. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one Is doing any of that. 

"and I'm tired of this front office lying about Luck like the fans are pieces of meat"

"The Colts have a history of being less than honest about Luck’s health"

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Throwing to receivers in walk through’s is practically worthless.   You need practice speed which is several levels higher.   Luck’s situation is not good.    Not at all. 

"Luck's situation is not good". "Not at all". That is what half the forum said last summer and he threw for 39 TD's and 4500 Yards. We went 10-6 and went to the final 8. You of all people should know it is way too early to be concerned. These posts today from some in here are downright embarrassing if you go back and read them. It has been toxic in here to be honest.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’ll tell you one thing, this has the same characteristics of the shoulder injury. I’ve said it a few times, this holding back and vague discussions of if it were a real game he would play etc... we’ve heard these lines before and then poof, Luck never played all year. 

My take is that it is what it is. He is in or he is out, the games go on. My thing is, this team was being put together as a competing team for a shot at a Super Bowl. Players need reps to be really superior here and if anyone thinks that Luck is so awesome that him missing some practices here or there isn’t affecting how this team will come out and play is lying to themselves. Continuity is huge at creating success and right now, how much live practice has the young kids had with the #1 QB on this team? They are all used to #2,3 QB ball coming at them. 

Something is up, something is wrong and whether it’s missing real games or a season or dreaded a career, something for sure is wrong. So you can sit back and enjoy the conspiracy theories but I’ve seen this same movie a couple times in the Colts PR room. Manning and now with Luck. Same motto. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’ll tell you one thing, this has the same characteristics of the shoulder injury. I’ve said it a few times, this holding back and vague discussions of if it were a real game he would play etc... we’ve heard these lines before and then poof, Luck never played all year. 

My take is that it is what it is. He is in or he is out, the games go on. My thing is, this team was being put together as a competing team for a shot at a Super Bowl. Players need reps to be really superior here and if anyone thinks that Luck is so awesome that him missing some practices here or there isn’t affecting how this team will come out and play is lying to themselves. Continuity is huge at creating success and right now, how much live practice has the young kids had with the #1 QB on this team? They are all used to #2,3 QB ball coming at them. 

Something is up, something is wrong and whether it’s missing real games or a season or dreaded a career, something for sure is wrong. So you can sit back and enjoy the conspiracy theories but I’ve seen this same movie a couple times in the Colts PR room. Manning and now with Luck. Same motto. 

Very well said.

Coach Reich can say Luck would play if it were the regular season all he wants, but the truth is he'll never have to prove it. The receivers (especially the young ones) will now get no practice time with Luck at training camp and preseason. That trickles down to the CB's and S's with a downgrade in Brissett throwing at them.

I'll believe Luck is healthy when I see it, until then, I don't believe the FO even has a clue what they are talking about.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Luck's situation is not good". "Not at all". That is what half the forum said last summer and he threw for 39 TD's and 4500 Yards. We went 10-6 and went to the final 8. You of all people should know it is way too early to be concerned. These posts today from some in here are downright embarrassing if you go back and read them. It has been toxic in here to be honest.

Each issue is unique.    When you haven't healed properly in three months,  and you're supposed to be ready for training camp,  and then TC arrives and you're still not ready and now he's aggrivated the original injury,  that's different than what happened last year.   

Luck was ready at camp.   He suffered no known set-backs.   He played his way back into shape as we hoped he would.    18 was different than 19.

So far,  what he hoped for this time around has not happened.    Not even a little.    And now,  he's only got 5 weeks until the start of the season.     It's not way too early.    I stand by the idea that people who are saying either they are not worried,  or there's no reason for anyone else to be worried absolutely amaze me.    I think they're wishing and hoping.

As for this place being toxic....  this website often is around training camp.     People get way too excited,  too hyped up.    And when things go wrong,  they go crazy.    I've said since I arrived....  very passionate fan base....   not the most knowledgeable.    It doesn't make me very popular.   But I think it's true....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Very well said.

Coach Reich can say Luck would play if it were the regular season all he wants, but the truth is he'll never have to prove it. The receivers (especially the young ones) will now get no practice time with Luck at training camp and preseason. That trickles down to the CB's and S's with a downgrade in Brissett throwing at them.

I'll believe Luck is healthy when I see it, until then, I don't believe the FO even has a clue what they are talking about.

You just can't help yourself.     You always have to take things too far.

Earlier today, you said  the front office was lying to us.    Now, they have no idea what they're talking about.   Not sure you realize this,  but those two positions are opposite.  It's one or the other.   But not both.    So, which one is it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Very well said.

Fully agree. I don’t think some people can see the trickle down effect having a second string QB throwing a ball vs a pro bowler type of special QB. Is the defense looking better because we are playing against a guy who makes choices that a better QB wouldn’t make? Are receivers dropping balls because they aren’t thrown where a better QB would place them? Is the team getting a false sense of hope because we think our defense really is looking awesome only to find out week one, this back up QB can’t perform against an average defense and the defense is getting shredded because we felt we had better talent? You never know what or who you have until your best is playing full strength against your best. It distorts the truth of who you really have. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Each issue is unique.    When you haven't healed properly in three months,  and you're supposed to be ready for training camp,  and then TC arrives and you're still not ready and now he's aggrivated the original injury,  that's different than what happened last year.   

Luck was ready at camp.   He suffered no known set-backs.   He played his way back into shape as we hoped he would.    18 was different than 19.

So far,  what he hoped for this time around has not happened.    Not even a little.    And now,  he's only got 5 weeks until the start of the season.     It's not way too early.    I stand by the idea that people who are saying either they are not worried,  or there's no reason for anyone else to be worried absolutely amaze me.    I think they're wishing and hoping.

As for this place being toxic....  this website often is around training camp.     People get way too excited,  too hyped up.    And when things go wrong,  they go crazy.    I've said since I arrived....  very passionate fan base....   not the most knowledgeable.    It doesn't make me very popular.   But I think it's true....

Good points, yeah this place gets wild once training camp starts and pre-season begins haha . I know it does but some of the posts still bother me. Why I have no idea. I am being 100% honest when I say I am not that concerned about Luck as of now. If he doesn't play in that 3rd pre-season game than I will be concerned. 

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You just can't help yourself.     You always have to take things too far.

Earlier today, you said  the front office was lying to us.    Now, they have no idea what they're talking about.   Not sure you realize this,  but those two positions are opposite.  It's one or the other.   But not both.    So, which one is it?

I believe it's one of two things. They are outright lying in order to sell tickets again because the real news is worse than intially thought and he needs surgery, or they just have no idea and passing along guesses as fact. They may honestly be hoping rest heals him at this point. Just be honest with the fanbase, you've already been caught doing this once.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good points, yeah this place gets wild once training camp starts and pre-season begins haha . I know it does but some of the posts still bother me. Why I have no idea. I am being 100% honest when I say I am not that concerned about Luck as of now. If he doesn't play in that 3rd pre-season game than I will be concerned. 

So at that point you can come back and say man, all you complainers about Luck actually do have some insight into the issue. We are as hopeful as anyone that Luck comes back and plays week 1, right now, it smells like exactly what occurred with Manning and then again with Luck. Teams still vying for season ticket holders and individual seat buys. They have to paint the picture that all is fine and Luck is just being cautious on a simple injury. It smells like a bigger issue to me, I’m extremely hopeful my insight is completely wrong here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

So at that point you can come back and say man, all you complainers about Luck actually do have some insight into the issue. We are as hopeful as anyone that Luck comes back and plays week 1, right now, it smells like exactly what occurred with Manning and then again with Luck. Teams still vying for season ticket holders and individual seat buys. They have to paint the picture that all is fine and Luck is just being cautious on a simple injury. It smells like a bigger issue to me, I’m extremely hopeful my insight is completely wrong here. 

You know I will. Anytime I am wrong I will come back and admit it. I have been wrong many times in here and admit it. I also said last summer that Luck would be fine when many did not. I was actually right there :thmup:. Sometimes I nail it and sometimes I do not haha . I just think it is way early to worry about him as of now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe it's one of two things. They are outright lying in order to sell tickets again because the real news is worse than intially thought and he needs surgery, or they just have no idea and passing along guesses as fact. They may honestly be hoping rest heals him at this point. Just be honest with the fanbase, you've already been caught doing this once.

I think the only way they would be lying is if this has something to do with his Achilles. Luck has already said it doesn't. Calf injuries are tricky so rest and rehab is best IMO.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the only way they would be lying is if this has something to do with his Achilles. Luck has already said it doesn't. Calf injuries are tricky so rest and rehab is best IMO.

I don't think they are lying about an Achilles situation. I could see however that Luck might have a borderline calf injury that is a judgement call in terms of surgery. And I could see them keeping that out of the public domain. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just now, Irish YJ said:

I don't think they are lying about an Achilles situation. I could see however that Luck might have a borderline calf injury that is a judgement call in terms of surgery. And I could see them keeping that out of the public domain. 

2006, I was typing something to the effect of what Irish said here. Agree 100%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Possibly but Luck said all the x-rays and tests did not show he needed surgery.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They are also holding him out of training camp completely now. That could indicate they are trying to figure out what is wrong, or something is wrong and they have to make a decision.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I've had a few lower leg injuries. X-rays and scans frankly don't always provide complete info. And the docs that interpret don't always hit the mark. 2 times docs were wrong on me. One time I was told I didn't need surgery and would be fine in 60-90 days. Took me 7 months (would have been quicker to have surgery). Another time, I was told I needed surgery. Instead I spent a month in a boot, and even spent one of those weeks partying on a Central American island. I was 100% in about 60 days and back to playing racket ball. Must have been the rum!

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

2006, I was typing something to the effect of what Irish said here. Agree 100%

I don't have a tin foil hat on, and I'm not saying Luck or the FO is lying about this......but anyone who thinks the coaches and FO are 100% transparent are about as dumb as a bag of hammers.

• Like 2

All I can say is this much.  I have played just about every sport there is, some at a collegiate to semi pro level, and have lots of injuries, including broken bones, acl, etc.

And I have also had my share of calf strains, arm and back strains, ankle sprains etc.'

I have never taken or known anyone to take 3 months to heal from a calf strain.  A month, month and a half at most.  And even if he did have a calf strain, most people I know have been able to play through it.

No.  There is something more going on here.  And lets face it, Luck has really started to prove himself to be injury prone.  All those injuries he played threw his first few years.  Kidney, ribs, shoulder etc.

As much as I hate to say it, it may be time to at least consider the option of drafting someone good....just in case.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, threeflight said:

All I can say is this much.  I have played just about every sport there is, some at a collegiate to semi pro level, and have lots of injuries, including broken bones, acl, etc.

And I have also had my share of calf strains, arm and back strains, ankle sprains etc.'

I have never taken or known anyone to take 3 months to heal from a calf strain.  A month, month and a half at most.  And even if he did have a calf strain, most people I know have been able to play threw it.

No.  There is something more going on here.  And lets face it, Luck has really started to prove himself to be injury prone.  All those injuries he played threw his first few years.  Kidney, ribs, shoulder etc.

As much as I hate to say it, it may be time to at least consider the option of drafting someone good....just in case.

This was said once today, but Luck's injury is probably why they didn't trade Brissett. It's either more serious than they first thought, or they genuinely have no idea to this point. There's definitely something going on here, and I won't trust this FO until Luck is starting week 1 of the regular season.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Very well said.

Tell you what... go back and watch the clips posted last week and then watch clips of the last practice he was at. 

if you actually take the time and look at it, All last week Luck looked great, moved thru his motions with ease. The last day not so much, he was off and you can tell he was not setting his feet quite like he did the day before. 

Just a guess here, but I’d bet he was given the full go and went for it. Aggravated it and woke up That last practice stiff and in pain. Tried to push it thru practice. Probably swollen and that’s led to the freak out everyone is having. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Fully agree. I don’t think some people can see the trickle down effect having a second string QB throwing a ball vs a pro bowler type of special QB. Is the defense looking better because we are playing against a guy who makes choices that a better QB wouldn’t make? Are receivers dropping balls because they aren’t thrown where a better QB would place them? Is the team getting a false sense of hope because we think our defense really is looking awesome only to find out week one, this back up QB can’t perform against an average defense and the defense is getting shredded because we felt we had better talent? You never know what or who you have until your best is playing full strength against your best. It distorts the truth of who you really have. 

When it comes to things like defense in TC, there are other measurable besides the outcome of the play.

Most people don’t understand that coaches script EVERYTHING in practice.  They call both the O and the D.  Sometimes they set it up so that it is almost a sure completion and sometimes it’s the opposite.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Nobody. That isn’t the point anyone is making or why they are concerned.

If he wasn't practicing why would he play in the 1st MEANINGLESS game?  That is the subject of this thread, correct?

Is there concern on my part?  Some, but I will have more if he isn't practicing in two weeks.

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Nobody. That isn’t the point anyone is making or why they are concerned.

If he wasn't practicing why would he play in the 1st MEANINGLESS game?  That is the subject of this thread, correct?

Is there concern on my part?  Some, but I will have more if he isn't practicing in two weeks.

I found this article on calf strains. Scroll down to see treatments. The article does say sudden change of direction puts a big strain on the calf (no pun intended).

I assumed it was a grade 3 but Luck said there’s no tears. When I watch him practice, he was moving pretty well on that calf and it makes sense that the injury could get aggravated because of the intensity of the movements. Plus, you’re always using your calf by just walking. He’s still practicing and throwing well.

We went through these same kind of threads last year. It’s interesting to see how people react to adversity: do they “point fingers”, ie Beckham & Brown ? Do they attack the character of the player and/or management? Or do they have faith in the medical staff & leadership to get him ready for the season?

Have we learned NOTHING from last year?

https://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/calf-muscle-tears

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I found this article on calf strains. Scroll down to see treatments. The article does say sudden change of direction puts a big strain on the calf (no pun intended).

I assumed it was a grade 3 but Luck said there’s no tears. When I watch him practice, he was moving pretty well on that calf and it makes sense that the injury could get aggravated because of the intensity of the movements. Plus, you’re always using your calf by just walking. He’s still practicing and throwing well.

We went through these same kind of threads last year. It’s interesting to see how people react to adversity: do they “point fingers”, ie Beckham & Brown ? Do they attack the character of the player and/or management? Or do they have faith in the medical staff & leadership to get him ready for the season?

Have we learned NOTHING from last year?

https://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/calf-muscle-tears

We learned a lot...from last year and previous years.  We learned that some people will over react to any injury.  We learned that some people will believe what they want to believe, no matter what the truth is.  And we learned that some people will not trust anything a coach or player says because they've been burned in the past.

Soon we'll re-learn that some people don't understand the point of preseason football...but that's another thread.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've said since I arrived....  very passionate fan base....   not the most knowledgeable.

Isn't this true of segments of every fan base?  Especially at the pro level.

Do you have a comparison to other fan bases on which to make this claim?  How would you know if Colts fans in general are more or less knowledgeable than any other fan base?

Do you know of a fan base that is "the most knowledgeable"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

"and I'm tired of this front office lying about Luck like the fans are pieces of meat"

"The Colts have a history of being less than honest about Luck’s health"

They do, do you not remember Jim Irsay saying Luck would be ready early in the year when he ended up missing the whole season?   Again, like I said in the rest of my post I don’t think there is a reason to panic over this but I do think those that are concerned have a right to be because this has gone on an awful long time for a simple calf strain.  I also said he might very well be out there in pre-season game two or three and this could be nothing.  

8 hours ago, threeflight said:

I have never taken or known anyone to take 3 months to heal from a calf strain.  A month, month and a half at most.  And even if he did have a calf strain, most people I know have been able to play through it.

The top 5 QB's in this league don't go through this many injuries or are held out due to nagging "issues". I am a Colt fan but the Front Office is best served to look for another QB once his contract expires and look towards the future (Trevor Lawrence?).

I do hope this team can win a Super Bowl during the Luck Era

The only certainty is there is nothing certain about Luck right now. His history of playing hurt is known to everyone. If you look at a comprehensive NFL weekly injury report it resembles a battlefield casualty report so his current "injury" is added to his list of a concussion, a lacerated organ, and a bum shoulder. 26 games missed so far in his career and the way he plays to date the injury list will get longer. So everyone hang up your stethoscopes and wait for the season to start.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes....   the 3rd game is key....   heck, it’s everything...   hey, it would be great if Luck could play some in week two as well...   

Gonna make pre-season extra interesting this year.   

• Like 1