Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard Wins DROY

NorthernBlue

So very deserved.

Leonard came in and changed the Colts defense. In 15 games (missed the NE game) he led the league in tackles with 163 and 12 had tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks, two interceptions, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

After the season he got 1st team All Pro. That’s for a defense that went from 30th in points and yards allowed last season to 10th in scoring and 11th in yards allowed this year.

Had Leonard played that NE game he could have beaten Patrick Willis’ stat of 174 tackles in a rookie season.

Derwin James has been great, but I would have been pretty disappointed if Darius hadn’t won this award.

• Like 3

If anyone else had won DROY it should have triggered a Congressional investigation. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him earn DPOY, even as early as next year. There are undoubtedly a number of GMs out there tonight who are still kicking themselves for letting a Top Ten (or higher!) talent like The Maniac slip through to the Colts in the 2nd round. 

I'm not surprised by the final vote in this one. Chubb and LVE had really good rookie years, but James and Leonard were special. And that Leonard came away with it in a somewhat close result is about how I expected it. 

And Leonard is just scratching the surface of how good he can be. I don't think he understands coverage very well, he takes false steps, he gets sucked into blocks and struggles to get off, and he's out of position at times in both phases.

He still filled up the stat sheet almost every game, made a ton of big plays, and has range and closing speed that are elite. He'll keep learning how to play LB in the NFL, and he'll get the benefit of a full offseason (remember, he missed a lot of work while his contract was being negotiated). He might wind up getting the green dot next year, which means more communication with the coaches during the game. 

The best is yet to come. 

• Like 6

He's a really inspiring guy to hear what he had to overcome in his young life while most would use that as an excuse to fail or do worse, he really lifted himself up on his own shoulders through work and faith and learning from the mistakes around him.  It's so nice to have yet another humble superstar, understated, no braggart attitude, just production and proving it and earning it.  Most promising 1st year performance of a  pick by a Colts GM in the 34 years I have been following the Colts.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not surprised by the final vote in this one. Chubb and LVE had really good rookie years, but James and Leonard were special. And that Leonard came away with it in a somewhat close result is about how I expected it. 

And Leonard is just scratching the surface of how good he can be. I don't think he understands coverage very well, he takes false steps, he gets sucked into blocks and struggles to get off, and he's out of position at times in both phases.

He still filled up the stat sheet almost every game, made a ton of big plays, and has range and closing speed that are elite. He'll keep learning how to play LB in the NFL, and he'll get the benefit of a full offseason (remember, he missed a lot of work while his contract was being negotiated). He might wind up getting the green dot next year, which means more communication with the coaches during the game. 

The best is yet to come. 

If this young man develops in the pass defense, omg he is gonna be scary (and very expensive to sign). Hopefully he continues to ascend in this game and the others around him improve as well. 

PFF's Top 101 NFL Players list is out, with Leonard listed at #76. Now, here's the head-scratcher: They have Leighton Vander Esch listed at #58, and Derwin James at #32. How in the world do LVE and James show up higher on the list than the guy who beat them out for DROY?

Oh, wait...it's PFF. Never mind.