Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Al Woods to IR

ColtsBlitz

I hope someone steps up to fill this opportunity,  but I can't imagine who?

I think losing Woods is a bigger loss than some here might realize.

Remember,  we play 8 DL...    that means rotating TWO guys at Nose.   Woods and Stewart.   Now,  there's no legit back-up.     Also,  as I noted a few weeks back,    there have been some obvious run downs when we've beeing playing Woods AND Stewart at the same time.   Those situational line-ups are now gone.

Bad time of year to be losing key players....     and right now,  everyone who is playing is a key player.    Hoping someone unexpected steps up....     who will it be...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember,  we play 8 DL...    that means rotating TWO guys at Nose.   Woods and Stewart.   Now,  there's no legit back-up.     Also,  as I noted a few weeks back,    there have been some obvious run downs when we've beeing playing Woods AND Stewart at the same time.   Those situational line-ups are now gone.

Bad time of year to be losing key players....     and right now,  everyone who is playing is a key player.    Hoping someone unexpected steps up....     who will it be...

In training camp, big Q got a taste of the NFL when he tried

to move Woods with a double team and failed miserably.

He will be missed in the D line rotation and will have a HUGE

impact on short yardage situations.

I look for Leonard to make even more tackles as RB'S make

it to the 2nd level more frequently. Hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I'm not sure Stewart and Ridgeway

can do what Woods can do by plugging up the running lanes. I'm a little worried that the opposing

RB's will be able to gain some yards

on the ground now.

stewart is a big nose tackle, he should be able to do that.  i dont know as much about ridgeway, but i think his best fit is 3-4 DE.  im not sure he  fits our current scheme very well

56 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

In training camp, big Q got a taste of the NFL when he tried

to move Woods with a double team and failed miserably.

He will be missed in the D line rotation and will have a HUGE

impact on short yardage situations.

I look for Leonard to make even more tackles as RB'S make

it to the 2nd level more frequently. Hope I am wrong.

In regards to the bolded, the other issue that could arise is that without Woods there to take these double teams so effectively, there is a higher chance of offensive lineman making it to the second level and making blocks on Leonard. Hes might not look as dominant when he doesnt have as many clean paths to the ball carrier. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

In regards to the bolded, the other issue that could arise is that without Woods there to take these double teams so effectively, there is a higher chance of offensive lineman making it to the second level and making blocks on Leonard. Hes might not look as dominant when he doesnt have as many clean paths to the ball carrier. 

Unfortunately this is true if they pull

A lineman.

57 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

stewart is a big nose tackle, he should be able to do that.  i dont know as much about ridgeway, but i think his best fit is 3-4 DE.  im not sure he  fits our current scheme very well

Stewart is no Woods with the ability to plug running lanes unfortunately.

I'm afraid fatigue will come into play being the only "big fatty" left on

the team. This loss concerns me and I hope I am way off on this.

1 minute ago, dodsworth said:

Unfortunately this is true if they pull

A lineman.

While it is especially true in the event of a pulling lineman, it could even be something as simple as a "Scoop/Shovel/Combination" block (depending on offensive terminology). If our DT cant stop the OG/OT (depending on playcall) from chipping off and getting to the 2nd level, then Leonard will have to beat him to get to the ball carrier

This link shows a decent Scoop by the C/RG, against a very similar formation to our Nickle Defense.

In our defense, it would typically be the DTs job to not let that OG get to the 2nd level. It takes Woods out of the play, but in doing so takes out 2 interior Lineman and frees up Leonard to shoot the gap and make a play. Woods is particularly good at this kind of stuff and I feel like his loss will be a decent blow to our defense. 

11 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

While it is especially true in the event of a pulling lineman, it could even be something as simple as a "Scoop/Shovel/Combination" block (depending on offensive terminology). If our DT cant stop the OG/OT (depending on playcall) from chipping off and getting to the 2nd level, then Leonard will have to beat him to get to the ball carrier

This link shows a decent Scoop by the C/RG, against a very similar formation to our Nickle Defense.

In our defense, it would typically be the DTs job to not let that OG get to the 2nd level. It takes Woods out of the play, but in doing so takes out 2 interior Lineman and frees up Leonard to shoot the gap and make a play. Woods is particularly good at this kind of stuff and I feel like his loss will be a decent blow to our defense. 

Good post. I guess we will find out how much he means to this

defense Sunday unfortunately. We obviously need a high pick 

in the draft on the NT position for quality depth next season.

I'm not being a Debbie downer about this situation but lineplay

in the NFL is highly underrated.

3 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Good post. I guess we will find out how much he means to this

defense Sunday unfortunately. We obviously need a high pick 

in the draft on the NT position for quality depth next season.

I'm not being a Debbie downer about this situation but lineplay

in the NFL is highly underrated.

I am excited to see how the young guys step up in Woods absence. That will be the position I watch all day on defense this week. But I would be very excited to see the Colts get a first round gem at NT to add to that rotation for next yr. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I am excited to see how the young guys step up in Woods absence. That will be the position I watch all day on defense this week. But I would be very excited to see the Colts get a first round gem at NT to add to that rotation for next yr. 

I'm on the other end of the spectrum and a little nervous about

him being replaced with anyone on the team. On a positive note 

I wouldn't mind Ballard doubling down in the draft with our first

two picks going towards linemen. Two D linemen or one D lineman

and an O lineman.

I have become a fanatic about controlling the trenches of late.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I'm on the other end of the spectrum and a little nervous about

him being replaced with anyone on the team. On a positive note 

I wouldn't mind Ballard doubling down in the draft with our first

two picks going towards linemen. Two D linemen or one D lineman

and an O lineman.

I have become a fanatic about controlling the trenches of late.

Same here dude. I love watching our new trench guys being dominant physically.... been waiting a long time for it.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 4:37 PM, BProland85 said:

Yeah I don’t know why Ridgeway hasn’t flourished under this defense. It seems to suit his skill set well since he is a quicker penetrating DT. 

Ridgeway just isn’t that good of a player clearly. I think it’s that simple. We should have known that early on. They brought in Jihad Ward who got more snaps than him. I know everyone had high hopes, but just like TJ Green, it appears the ship has sailed.

44 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ridgeway just isn’t that good of a player clearly. I think it’s that simple. We should have known that early on. They brought in Jihad Ward who got more snaps than him. I know everyone had high hopes, but just like TJ Green, it appears the ship has sailed.

He has 2 games, possibly more to show his worth on this team.

He had better tear it up because he is odd man out on the D line 

next year. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That doesn't exactly hold up, because unlike TJ Green, Ridgeway has actually played well when he gets a chance. Preseason and regular season, Ridgeway looks like a player. There might be something us fans are missing, but it's not that he just can't play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2018 at 12:49 AM, NewColtsFan said:

i dont know what you and the others are looking at but ridgeway was playing very good people on this board were very upset he wasnt getting playing time.   every game he was in he was flashing off the screen making huge stops against the run and getting pressure on pass plays .   i thought he was much better then woods who people are overrating on here the defense plays better when he is on the bench ridge way is younger and is gonna prove you all wrong he is the better playing it was not his play that got him scratched he is huge and a one man wrecking crew watch sunday

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i dont know what you and the others are looking at but ridgeway was playing very good people on this board were very upset he wasnt getting playing time.   every game he was in he was flashing off the screen making huge stops against the run and getting pressure on pass plays .   i thought he was much better then woods who people are overrating on here the defense plays better when he is on the bench ridge way is younger and is gonna prove you all wrong he is the better playing it was not his play that got him scratched he is huge and a one man wrecking crew watch sunday

I hate to tell you but Ridgeway hasn't been playing very good or he would have been playing.  He's not just not playing he's not even active.  He's like disappeared.  If you don't show it in practice you don't play.  Not a good sign when you're a healthy scratch.  Woods is a far superior player and will be missed. 

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

I like Ridgeway...   to a point.

But the issue is that Ridgeway and Woods do not play the same position.

Woods plays the nose.   Ridgeway plays the 3-tech.    Different responsibilities.

Can Ridgeway play the nose?   Maybe.  But we may be about to find out...

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like Ridgeway...   to a point.

But the issue is that Ridgeway and Woods do not play the same position.

Woods plays the nose.   Ridgeway plays the 3-tech.    Different responsibilities.

Can Ridgeway play the nose?   Maybe.  But we may be about to find out...

At this point he should be happy getting any playing time.