Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The NFL has to get rid of ties

Hi-Tek

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

I definitely never played soccer beyond for recreation.   But that doesn't change the premise that is no longer soccer.  It is equivalent to deciding a football game with field goals or a basketball game with free throws.   That, to me anyway,  doesn't make sense.   NFL players can't do it because they don't train to run for that long.  It is not necessary for the sport.   However,  they are good enough athletes to run that long if they trained for it.

I think I didn't convey my point clearly. Apologies. 

What I mean is that soccer players already run longer than any sport on Earth.  And they only get to penalties after playing an additional 30 minutes so while I get the premise that it is no longer soccer it's inconceivable to make them play even longer to get a result.  Penalties is the perfect end to the game as it still focuses on the skill of the game with the huge caveat that everyone has rubber legs from running a full 120 minutes.  I just don't see it as comparable as you do too kicking field goals or free throws because the Dynamics of the sports are different. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Oh, I know...... disregard the final score all together, and award the win to the team that hold a lead for the longest period of time.

If that ends in a tie, go to the final score.

If that ends in a tie, go to the team with the most time outs left.

If that ends in a tie...... go to the team with the least 'what's a catch?' situations.

If that's a tie........    I don't want to watch football anymore...

Maybe just award the win to the team who's cheerleaders show the most skin?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I think I didn't convey my point clearly. Apologies. 

What I mean is that soccer players already run longer than any sport on Earth.  And they only get to penalties after playing an additional 30 minutes so while I get the premise that it is no longer soccer it's inconceivable to make them play even longer to get a result.  Penalties is the perfect end to the game as it still focuses on the skill of the game with the huge caveat that everyone has rubber legs from running a full 120 minutes.  I just don't see it as comparable as you do too kicking field goals or free throws because the Dynamics of the sports are different. 

This is all a matter of opinion/taste and I am derailing this thread into a discussion about soccer.  Which might actually be preferable to the original post.  I understand what you are saying, but imo it would be better if they just allowed greater substitutions once a match went into extra time in an effort to avoid PKs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hi-Tek said:

Seriously...every season. It's embarrassing to sports in general to have a tie. It's even worse when you are only playing 16 games. It is the dumbest rule in the NFL.

As Jvan and Csmopar have already indicated, ties in the NFL are very rare.  Some season we have one or a few and other seasons, more often than not, we have no ties.

Ties do not over burden the players as they will only have to play an extra 10 mins.

Also, the ties bring in a nice tiebreaker situation as the tie can help or hurt teams in playoff seedings against other teams and invariably there can not have the same record and will be a 1/2 game ahead or behind the other teams in seeding.  So to this extend, i fine ties interesting as opposed to the straight up records being compared.  

And ties have been around since the inception of the NFL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2018 at 6:42 PM, jvan1973 said:

I would call once a season pretty rare

This. ^^

32 teams x 16 games = 512 regular season games/year. 

If we see one tie per year, that makes it "rare," by definition. You can try to argue with math, but... you end up looking silly doing it. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 5:35 AM, NannyMcafee said:

Well I think everyone who works for the NFL should have to wear a tie. 

I think no one anywhere should ever have to wear a tie. In this country that seems to crave progressive action no one is starting a protest for the right to dress comfortably at a board meeting!

16 hours ago, SilentHill said:

I think no one anywhere should ever have to wear a tie. In this country that seems to crave progressive action no one is starting a protest for the right to dress comfortably at a board meeting!

I was just making a joke about the title of this thread. It’s not always about politics. 

On 9/12/2018 at 4:57 PM, GoPats said:

This. ^^

32 teams x 16 games = 512 regular season games/year. 

If we see one tie per year, that makes it "rare," by definition. You can try to argue with math, but... you end up looking silly doing it. 

Actually, I will argue with your math. 

32 teams x 16 games = 256 games games/year. 

• Like 2

I think they should keep it as it is.     I like ties.  In the past couple decades, the NFL averages 1 tie per season.   I think of it as a novelty.   I like them.  

What we should be on the NFL to get rid of is these stupid time outs called right before a FG attempt.  

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@Cynjin I take back everything I said about having a kicking competition decide the game...given how horrible these NFL kickers are I think we should just get rid of all of them....we would still be having kick offs if it was left up to them! lol all scores should just go for 2 from now on lol.

I literally LOLed when I saw that there was another tie this week.  I don't think I have ever seen back to back weeks in the NFL with a tie.  It may have happened a long time ago, but I can't even remember when there were two ties in a season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think they should keep it as it is.     I like ties.  In the past couple decades, the NFL averages 1 tie per season.   I think of it as a novelty.   I like them.  

What we should be on the NFL to get rid of is these stupid time outs called right before a FG attempt.  

Agree with all of the above.

I find it amusing that in a sport with a bunch of playoff tiebreaker scenarios, that the #1 thing that essentially eliminates the need for all the playoff "tiebreakers" is a tie! 

New rule proposal:

When a team lines up in FG formation, neither team can call a timeout when the play clock goes under 10 seconds. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, coltsva said:

When a team lines up in FG formation, neither team can call a timeout when the play clock goes under 10 seconds. 

Yes.   That would be good.  It ruins the game for me.   Not completely, but it sure is a momentum killer. 

7 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Why is the American psyche so opposed to draws/ties? 

You think it's bad playing for 3 hours and ending in a tie, try 5 days! Interestingly too, 3 of the top 10 Premiership games of all time are draws. 

Because we don’t like investing three hours of our lives on something that is purely recreational only for nothing to be decided.

I don’t understand the European psyche where it’s ok to try real hard for no reason or benefit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

For me, it doesn't ruin the game, but it ruins the moment. 

I think it’s a valid strategy. If your kicker can be rattled by a kind game, then so be it.

I do find it interedting that people knock those who dislike ties for reasons of the game being negatively impacted will fully embrace the idea of getting rid of a psychological tactic for the same reasons.

On 9/16/2018 at 4:37 PM, Hi-Tek said:

If you think ties are good for the NFL then you are a maroon.

Bugs Bunny has me pegged then...  an embessel, an Ultramaroon...

5 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I literally LOLed when I saw that there was another tie this week.  I don't think I have ever seen back to back weeks in the NFL with a tie.  It may have happened a long time ago, but I can't even remember when there were two ties in a season. 

!973? 4 teams had two ties on their record, 6 teams had 1 tie on theirs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

Because we don’t like investing three hours of our lives on something that is purely recreational only for nothing to be decided.

I don’t understand the European psyche where it’s ok to try real hard for no reason or benefit.

Well I guess we see a draw as valid result so something is indeed decided. I mean even in the NFL you get some benefit to a tie. 

When you get tactical situations where certain teams need say a draw to not get relegated it’s interesting to see how managers approach their set up. 

To flip your argument, as a player, do you want to battle for 3 plus hours and have all that effort nullified completely by a coin flip? 

On 9/14/2018 at 10:46 PM, coltsva said:

Actually, I will argue with your math. 

32 teams x 16 games = 256 games games/year. 

Ha, you are right... I am wrong... I forgot to divide by 2 at the end. haha

Still, 2 or 3 ties per year out of 256 games makes them rare. 

10 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Ha, you are right... I am wrong... I forgot to divide by 2 at the end. haha

Still, 2 or 3 ties per year out of 256 games makes them rare. 

Truth be told, i did the same thing and only picked up on it after realizing “wait, that would be 30 games a week!” 

As you say, still rare.